Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/1070592003082076160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So he will only support the bill on the condition it is amended in Feb?

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

me, placing my testicles directly in front of a pool cue: hahahahah snookered u again. go shorten

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

So he will only support the bill on the condition it is amended in Feb?

No.

Mathias Cormann has stepped in to try and stop the Greens from moving the amendments.

The chamber divides.

It’s Labor and the government voting against it

3m ago 19:14

Oh, it looks like the Greens are trying to move Labor’s amendments, and force them to vote against them.

Updated at 7.16pm AEDT

5m ago 19:12

And with a “thanks everyone that has been 12 very good questions,” Bill Shortenleaves the press conference, as they are still being asked.

11m ago 19:06

If the government won’t agree to put the amendments through, Labor will still pass it.

12m ago 19:05

Meanwhile, the Senate division bells are ringing.

This bill will be passed, despite Labor’s reservations, and made law pretty much immediately. Meaning security agencies can let loose with its notices to break encrypted communications.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1070565456912642048

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is my understanding correct that ASIO will have the power to make clandestine contact with an IT nerd and force them to grant secret access to their employer’s database with the threat of prison if they don’t comply or if they tell anyone about it?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The idea that the government can force you to sabotage a product you work on, and that if you tell anyone you are being forced to sabotage it, you go to jail is loving insane.

What the gently caress do you do if your boss reviews your work and finds the hole you put in there? Do they just dump this order on the entire company at once? What the actual gently caress Australia? This "you can't tell anyone or you go to jail" poo poo has to be the loving worst, first with chargeless detention orders and now this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wait the government is going to vote against it... What the gently caress haha???? 12d chess!???

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

Wait the government is going to vote against it... What the gently caress haha???? 12d chess!???

Ayes 44

Noes 12

The bill is passed.

Australia’s security and intelligence agencies have legal authority to force encryption services to break the encryptions.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
What a dumb loving day

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

hahahahaha we're completely hosed gently caress you labor gently caress you willy dick shorten

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aesculus posted:

Ayes 44

Noes 12

The bill is passed.

Australia’s security and intelligence agencies have legal authority to force encryption services to break the encryptions.

Some idiot on twitter has duped me. gently caress the ALP I'm going to burn something

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Wonder what the stock market will look like tomorrow.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Vilgefartz posted:

Wonder what the stock market will look like tomorrow.

ASX:HACK will moon.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

As cowardly as this move was, the media coverage on this bill outside of The Guardian has been truly awful.

Even the ABC has run this line around terrorism and safety while seemingly ignoring that the legislation as it stands is completely unworkable.

Like this isn't a question of values and government overreach, I mean this bill simply cannot do what it is designed to do.

But if you want to know why Shorten did what he did then it really isn't hard to find the culprits.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Tech companies are already threatening at the vendor level to no longer go through Australian security standards for approval in government facilities if this goes through.

They would rather not sell in Australia than compromise their technology. CISCO, F5, RSA, have all notified our department that they will be discontinuing supporting newer models in our refresh cycles if this goes through because any vulnerability they create in the AU versions of firmware, can potentially be reverse engineered to attack the actual hardened technologies.

how long until this poo poo is scrapped?

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Reclines Obesily posted:

next sitting of parliament! sixty something days for the shitheads in our various intelligence agencies to threaten to imprison people for not wanting to make their products completely unsellable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress shorten you fumduck

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Reclines Obesily posted:

Hopefully, immediately.

In reality, probably never because Labor are spineless gormless cowards, the LNP are actual straight-up fascists, and the Greens and everyone else with sense don't have the numbers.

hidys
May 6, 2015

For all the talk about keeping us safe over Christmas the powers in this bill won't become active until 2019.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

loving alp outplayed by loving scomo of all people. .

gently caress

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
i'm losing my poo poo over this

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
this just in: bill shorten removing his lower ribs to suck someone elses dick

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i love this country and the funny little men who run it

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

sweetroy posted:

someone tell him you don't have to do that

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

someone tell him you don't have to do that
no, don't. let him have this

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving hell this is truly the worst timeline (except for Dandrews)

What the gently caress was Bill and Federal Labor thinking? Christ.

Ah well, might as well let anyone break into our encrypted data. Oh wait, we don't have anything to worry about if we didn't do anything wrong

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Reclines Obesily posted:

Huawei ears suddenly perk up. There won't be so many security fears when they are the only vendor.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
This country is an embarrassment JFC

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Synthbuttrange posted:

what the gently caress shorten you fumduck

:same:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm going to campaign against Tim Watts at the federal election. I'll go in to bat for anyone that gives me their election material.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dimebag posted:

Huawei ears suddenly perk up. There won't be so many security fears when they are the only vendor.

Huawei has some issues in America it might be more interested in at the moment.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

He's doing a bit.

Alright, mate

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

Alright, mate

I thought that he was going to use it to play games and he caved. So my good natured haha Bill Shorten phase has ended.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

sweetroy posted:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Huawei has some issues in America it might be more interested in at the moment.

It's the just the US tech firms pulling the ladder up boomer style, there is no way they haven't been doing this poo poo themselves for years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dimebag posted:

It's the just the US tech firms pulling the ladder up boomer style, there is no way they haven't been doing this poo poo themselves for years.

I mean their CFO was arrested by Canada for America.

hidys
May 6, 2015

On the plus side at least Labor's utter capitulation won't sway the electorate in any way whatsoever.

At the present time the government is still on track for defeat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1070601765265989632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

is vic senate going to fix this? its not exactly great for the libs or labor