Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I mean their CFO was arrested by Canada for America.

I get that, mine was more the point of security concerns by using Huawei equipment with backdoors in. There is no way that the American firms haven't also done some shady poo poo like that as well over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sweetroy posted:

this just in: bill shorten removing his lower ribs to suck someone elses dick

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Dimebag posted:

I get that, mine was more the point of security concerns by using Huawei equipment with backdoors in. There is no way that the American firms haven't also done some shady poo poo like that as well over the years.

the american government were smart enough not to make this poo poo a law, the gently caress is the point of this if everyone knows

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Maybe they didn’t capitulate and this and the camps show they are and always have been big “national security” fuckheads who only appear more palatable next to the Libs.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Wait the government is going to vote against it... What the gently caress haha???? 12d chess!???

The backlash is going to grow over the holidays, forcing the government to repeal it once they return next year. Bill Shorten is a genious.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Tokamak posted:

The backlash is going to grow over the holidays, forcing the government to repeal it once they return next year. Bill Shorten is a genious.

:magemage:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1070602155495583744
For gods sake Bill, just pack it in for tonight

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Knorth posted:

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1070602155495583744
For gods sake Bill, just pack it in for tonight
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahaaahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahaaahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

snoremac posted:

Maybe they didn’t capitulate and this and the camps show they are and always have been big “national security” fuckheads who only appear more palatable next to the Libs.

Impossible, they're doing some poo poo called "chess" on our behalf

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
labor are poo poo

loving shits

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
It's like he is burning through all the goodwill he has gained by just shutting the gently caress up like it's going to expire in an hour.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hmm labor might be actually good, looks like they finally are listening to the voters and what's best for the

*the present

hmm yes now I remember why labor are loving poo poo and we are now living in neoliberal hell

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So what is the tactics behind these decisions?

Like this is some Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did bill fall and bump his head or some poo poo

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

Like this is some Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde poo poo.

fundamentally they probably agree with the law (because they are loving poo poo)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

If I was feeling charitable I'd say they are poo poo-scared of looking weak on national security.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bill no

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I was feeling charitable I'd say they are poo poo-scared of looking weak on national security.

What the gently caress does blowing off an overwhelmingly popular approach to climate change mitigation have to do with natsec (other than not doing it being bad for it)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
bill

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean, if the legislation as described forces literally every company in Australia (including the governments) to use obsolete networking infrastructure, and the ALP have received good advice that the bill in its current form is utterly unworkable and will have to be scrapped, I could follow that. I mean it's still stupid because in Feb when it has to be repealed the govt will find a way to blame Labor for it as they voted for it.

The carbon pricing comment is just batshit stupid.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RHT_ebooks/status/1070594408456699904

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

For fucks sake, there is nothing to gain from doing that. Labor were already coming out on top but if they were really that scared of appearing soft on national security he could have just said "our record shows we take national security seriously, but this carelessly written and technologically illiterate legislation will make Australians less safe".

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

This is reaching p hard but maybe there is intelligence of a planned terrorist attack on Australia over the break and labor doesn't want the bad publicity of "doing nothing to stop it"

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
If they were covering that up it's good they have that clause meaning no Federal ICAC can access the new powers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

AbortRetryFail posted:

This is reaching p hard but maybe there is intelligence of a planned terrorist attack on Australia over the break and labor doesn't want the bad publicity of "doing nothing to stop it"

The terrorist attack was going to be attack ads.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

AbortRetryFail posted:

Whatever you need, abortretryfail

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The worst government and the worst opposition evar

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

The terrorist attack was going to be the Daily Telegraph front page.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

sorry, i meant to type bill shorten just did this for no reason and we should not consider any other alternative.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

AbortRetryFail posted:

sorry, i meant to type bill shorten just did this for no reason and we should not consider any other alternative.

I was just making a joke, yes there may be a pressing conspiracy that requires hacks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hidys posted:

For all the talk about keeping us safe over Christmas the powers in this bill won't become active until 2019.

Parliament doens't sit until the second month of 2019. So it comes into effect before the government does.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What's far more likely is that the political class hasn't yet figured out that all cops are bastards.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuucccckkkkkkk

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
eh i watched the interview and he doesnt stop at “no” when addressing carbon price he waffles on past it. not particularly convincing but it was more a “not going to address this”

AbortRetryFail posted:

who would trust those twats

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quote:

who would trust those twats

the same people who are ~swing voters~

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Small target shorten

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Well it looks like I believe

*checks notes*

We need to appeal to the base

Their base

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AbortRetryFail posted:

the same people who are ~swing voters~

Not according to the polls.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

AbortRetryFail posted:

Chessmaster moves rook to 9/11: 2, checkmate, terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How will the Liberals attack Labor now that the ALP has caved on the encryption bill?

https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1070601279045492736

Oh.

Don Dongington posted:

What the gently caress does blowing off an overwhelmingly popular approach to climate change mitigation have to do with natsec (other than not doing it being bad for it)

Oh I thought you meant the encryption bill.

But in both cases they are haunted by previous election campaigns.