Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Please don't actually die.

e: oh wow what a first post on the page. You know what I mean though, don't overwork yourself just for some silly videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Crashes aside, I haven't played WOTC but everything it adds seems to be some turbo bullshit heavily slanted against the player. Sure you get 3 new character classes, but Mox can't hit poo poo, Psy-boys are apparently incredibly squishy, and Elenas seem to taper off in damage pretty quickly (what's the point of having a chance to stay hidden if you need multiple shots to kill anything)?
What's with the product placement for Vektor every time you line up a shot with (not) Elena? Do any other weapons have, uh, branding I guess?

Also yeah, please don't die. After this you need to do a LP with stipulations that you drink tea or sip some fine wine/actual good beer every time you score a critical success or whatever

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Crashes aside, I haven't played WOTC but everything it adds seems to be some turbo bullshit heavily slanted against the player. Sure you get 3 new character classes, but Mox can't hit poo poo, Psy-boys are apparently incredibly squishy, and Elenas seem to taper off in damage pretty quickly (what's the point of having a chance to stay hidden if you need multiple shots to kill anything)?
What's with the product placement for Vektor every time you line up a shot with (not) Elena? Do any other weapons have, uh, branding I guess?

Also yeah, please don't die. After this you need to do a LP with stipulations that you drink tea or sip some fine wine/actual good beer every time you score a critical success or whatever

It accentuates the difficulty curve issues xcom has always had. For instance reapers go crazy after a while.

That skill they just got? It turns out that the chance to reveal starts at zero and goes up after the shot is landed. Meaning if you only drop kill shots you can pick up kills without ever leaving cover. They also get a skill that just empties their clip into the target. With a superior grade repeater and expanded mag and the boosted weapon upgrades breakthrough, that would give an 80ish% chance of instantly killing an enemy, no matter how big, once a map.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yeah we need to do the board game, at least that won't actually kill you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 23 - Dan And Grace Continue Shooting Zombies For Too drat Long

We REALLY end up taking advantage of the lack of timers on this mission, but I stand by it :colbert: Also while spicy, I kinda gently caress myself over at the end of the mission because i cant futz with equipment offscreen between sessions :cripes:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Let's Play! › Let's Play the XCOM 2 War of the Chosen: Oh look it's the consequences of my actions...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That is an extremely powerful moustache there on Beefy Boy.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dan you're my friend and I would never call you stupid but come on man

Guillotine is pronounced with a 'y' sound.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Crazy Achmed posted:

Dunno, this LP made me pick up the expansion and it felt like I broke the difficulty curve even harder than in plain XCOM 2, even though it took a tiny bit longer. Those resistance activities are loving broken -- I spent the endgame waiting for mandatory research, while at 0 avatar progress because of the spammable "reduce avatar progress" resistance mission :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Xarn posted:

Dunno, this LP made me pick up the expansion and it felt like I broke the difficulty curve even harder than in plain XCOM 2, even though it took a tiny bit longer. Those resistance activities are loving broken -- I spent the endgame waiting for mandatory research, while at 0 avatar progress because of the spammable "reduce avatar progress" resistance mission :v:

Yeah, but it kind of heavily slants the other way in the early game. Sure, you can outfit your pistol sniper with AP and Bluescreen rounds at the same time late game, but they added a ton of unavoidable damage in the early game through the chosen. And that's rough because there's barely enough hp for a single hit that early, so having some guaranteed hits means that someone is almost always put in danger of immediate death. Add in that, as powerful as the covert ops rewards are, it takes away manpower, and early game you'll be lacking for that. Especially when you throw your first few high ranking guys into unlocking the chosen missions and those extra order slots.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but it kind of heavily slants the other way in the early game. Sure, you can outfit your pistol sniper with AP and Bluescreen rounds at the same time late game, but they added a ton of unavoidable damage in the early game through the chosen. And that's rough because there's barely enough hp for a single hit that early, so having some guaranteed hits means that someone is almost always put in danger of immediate death. Add in that, as powerful as the covert ops rewards are, it takes away manpower, and early game you'll be lacking for that. Especially when you throw your first few high ranking guys into unlocking the chosen missions and those extra order slots.

The assassin is the only one with guaranteed, unavoidable damage. The warlock mostly just stands there and spams garbage mobs (make sure to bring a flashbang to break mind control, though). The hunter is more dangerous but still only a real threat on impossible. If you always reaper start like a normal person you can open every encounter with a claymore or even a remote start and more or less guarantee a first or second turn kill.

There are two things that are genuinely unfair: impossible, which you have to be a twitch streamer to win, and how much harder an immune to overwatch assassin is than any other combo. I think a lot of the complaints come from people who don't disable Lost and Abandoned because in what has become an XCOM tradition, the story mode doubles as an extra hard mode on top of the normal difficulty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Adar posted:

The assassin is the only one with guaranteed, unavoidable damage. The warlock mostly just stands there and spams garbage mobs (make sure to bring a flashbang to break mind control, though). The hunter is more dangerous but still only a real threat on impossible. If you always reaper start like a normal person you can open every encounter with a claymore or even a remote start and more or less guarantee a first or second turn kill.

There are two things that are genuinely unfair: impossible, which you have to be a twitch streamer to win, and how much harder an immune to overwatch assassin is than any other combo. I think a lot of the complaints come from people who don't disable Lost and Abandoned because in what has become an XCOM tradition, the story mode doubles as an extra hard mode on top of the normal difficulty.

The hunter, once activated, can grapple -> move -> sniper shot giving him a pretty much guaranteed flankshot on your dudes if the ai decides it. If you fail to kill him quickly he can get very lethal, very fast.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

If you fail to kill him quickly he can get very lethal, very fast.

This is true of most enemies in the game, but the Chosen really emphasize the importance of alpha striking everything into the ground as quickly as possible. With the limited tools you have at the start of the campaign, it's harder to do that. And some of the new WotC enemies can make it nearly impossible.

Adar posted:

(make sure to bring a flashbang to break mind control, though).

Protip: the Warlock is immune to flashbangs. Which means he can be a nightmare as your first Chosen.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

aegof posted:

This is true of most enemies in the game, but the Chosen really emphasize the importance of alpha striking everything into the ground as quickly as possible. With the limited tools you have at the start of the campaign, it's harder to do that. And some of the new WotC enemies can make it nearly impossible.

Protip: the Warlock is immune to flashbangs. Which means he can be a nightmare as your first Chosen.

Oh yeah that's with sectoids. With the warlock you flashbang the guy he got and then kill him in the next two turns, or mindshield everybody (needs the sectoid autopsy) or a bunch of other things. He's honestly not threatening at all on classic and below since you don't need to worry about cover and just go for 100% hits if you kill everything else first.

If you really can't deal with him any other way, let him capture a guy on the first retaliation when you first see him and then buy 4 mindshields and never worry about him again.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, we missed something really important. Killian "Serial" Duff has long blonde hair, glasses, and a british accent. Why have you not renamed him to "Liquid" or at least "BRRRRROTHER"?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The worst thing about the Chosen is how broken their weapons are... Once you kill them and take them for yourself :murder:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 24 - She Hated That

We're finally back! And uh while I definitely went into the mission intending on being scummy about Ruler game mechanics, I'm not sure WHAT the hell happened here

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Ruler behaved exactly as expected there, as far as I know. Needs actions to run, but only gets actions if it sees you act. The WotC nerf to the Rulers is pretty severe! Even Berry's rocket placement problems are pretty normal--SPARKs tend to have trouble with that, I think because of how the game draws lines from the BIT to the target.

Here's hoping the next Ruler walks up on your flank while you're engaged with a tough pod goes down just as easily.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

aegof posted:

The Ruler behaved exactly as expected there, as far as I know. Needs actions to run, but only gets actions if it sees you act.

Yep. To highlight the key bit, they do not act on the usual "Alien Activity" turn, but only when they see one of your team act. So while I'm sure she would have loved to run away, the spotter/sniper tactic pretty much locks rulers down if they don't come with a pod that forces you to get up there and do something. The rulers are scary if encountered in a bad situation, but if you have everything under control from the start, they can be gamed pretty thoroughly in WOTC. :shrug: See also: banish + magazine expansion + repeaters. Plus Inside Knowledge if you can get it.

Really enjoyed that skulljacking, by the way. Just busting in the door all SPECIAL DELIVERY, MOTHERFUCKERS! Although I was a little sad Grace didn't get to see more of the weird poo poo a Codex can do.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, we missed something really important. Killian "Serial" Duff has long blonde hair, glasses, and a british accent. Why have you not renamed him to "Liquid" or at least "BRRRRROTHER"?

we keep renaming him "Cam" and then the recording immediately fucks up and implodes and we forget to do it again

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, I think I remember hearing you call him Cam a few times. It all makes sense now. Also glad to see your beer quality seems to be improving, a good oatmeal stout is a fine thing.
How else can we lower the avatar bar? Are there options beyond blowing up facilities and guerilla ops?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, I think I remember hearing you call him Cam a few times. It all makes sense now. Also glad to see your beer quality seems to be improving, a good oatmeal stout is a fine thing.
How else can we lower the avatar bar? Are there options beyond blowing up facilities and guerilla ops?

As shown with the skull jack this episode, story objectives that happen in battle tend to lower it by a pip or two.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Knowing you can do this would make my last WotC playthrough much easier :v:

Feels really scummy though

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

As noted, plot objectives do it, and then besides that and what you said, the only other way I know of is a single particular resistance order that takes off one square per month. (and by month they mean 4-week supply drop period, which rapidly stops corresponding to actual calendar months and kinda annoys me)

You're really expected to keep up with the facilities, as they raise the rate of Avatar meter growth. But the weird difficulty curve of XCOM usually means you end up scrambling desperately for the first few as the meter tops out, and then later on get things well under control and can just blow them up at your leisurely pace between casually murdering the remaining Chosen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 25 - Purifier Greg

I think it was Enemy Unknown where your soldier was stuck in the psipod until they learned a knew move, but hoo man am I glad to find out Luca can pop out and zap some nerds between training

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Brutal. So does the chosen keep coming back randomly until you finish all those covert ops relating to her? Or does she stay down for a while after you "kill" her?
And are we allowed to beeline it to the other advent facilities and blow them up too, or do we have to do a bunch of poo poo before we can cross the map all the way to goddamn Australia?

Also I haven't watched either really but I've been told the UK version of The Office is way better than the US one

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Brutal. So does the chosen keep coming back randomly until you finish all those covert ops relating to her? Or does she stay down for a while after you "kill" her?
And are we allowed to beeline it to the other advent facilities and blow them up too, or do we have to do a bunch of poo poo before we can cross the map all the way to goddamn Australia?

Also I haven't watched either really but I've been told the UK version of The Office is way better than the US one

Finish all those ops + do a specific mission that can be rather difficult. It's partially a gear check, because it keeps spawning enemies, and you need to have enough raw damage to keep killing them while destroying another thing, and also the chosen respawning on a cooldown.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dancer posted:

Finish all those ops + do a specific mission that can be rather difficult. It's partially a gear check

I’ve found that’s not 100% true, though it’s usually a good guideline. You just kind of need to have at least as many upgrades as the chosen has (if you didn’t notice, they do get stronger—compare her HP in the first appearance to this last one) and you’ll probably be ok, so if. An be done with mag weapons and predator armor if you do the ops quickly. Also a psi trooper with an early Dominate like Dan got is a major aid and can make up for a lot.

As for bee-lining it to other facilities, you need to contact all the regions on the way. There’s no ops standing in your way per se, but you probably have to do some other stuff to get the intel to get the contacts to get the access to Australia. But there is a small chance to hack a direct access to a facility mission as well.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I stand mostly by my defensive play early on, even if it let a ton of Avatar facilities get built and nearly put us in a hole for a while there. The main issue is it absolutely let the Assassin get too strong to assault her fortress with Mags, and the Hunter is going to be there soon too. :negative:

Without spoiling too much, if you hate Avatar facilities, you're going to love the bullshit I'm currently on.

also we shamelessly cheese the archon king because that thing sucks rear end and can just instakill your dudes with unavoidable moves. I generally defend even the blatantly bad game design in this game but gently caress that thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 26 - He's So Spooped

I remember aliens getting spooked and running away to hide with other pods being a thing before, but not to this extent :shepface:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hahaha holy poo poo. "Welp X-Com just killed my buddies, can I hang out with you? Oh never mind, you're dead too. I'll juuuuust go over here with the big guys if you don't mind..." :allears:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

You were so worried about Jones taking an overwatch shot, almost like you completely forgot you gave her Shadowstep.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Wiseblood posted:

You were so worried about Jones taking an overwatch shot, almost like you completely forgot you gave her Shadowstep.

I was thinking that the entire time I was (sober) rewatching the episode for tech faults :cripes: In my defense most of my "oh right, that" mistakes end with someone on our side dying, so this is a positive step forward

Mikl posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo. "Welp X-Com just killed my buddies, can I hang out with you? Oh never mind, you're dead too. I'll juuuuust go over here with the big guys if you don't mind..." :allears:

It actually feels a little hosed up that the Andromedon was one of the last enemies to be killed :shepface: Especially by being frozen and having to watch it happen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 27 - Eternally Pregnant Sac

HEY GUESS WHAT NEW ALIEN GETS INTRODUCED IN THIS EPISODE :gonk:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Oh no, you've angered the cactus!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Wiseblood posted:

Oh no, you've angered the cactus!

lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Next episode is going to be a bit late, Grace had to leave for a bit during the episode so I doled out some new skills from the training center while waiting for him to get back, and I want to edit that to be a bit more watchable than me eating pizza and fretting over "but what if I NEED these 76 XCOM points later :qq:" for like 20 minutes :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Danaru posted:

Next episode is going to be a bit late, Grace had to leave for a bit during the episode so I doled out some new skills from the training center while waiting for him to get back, and I want to edit that to be a bit more watchable than me eating pizza and fretting over "but what if I NEED these 76 XCOM points later :qq:" for like 20 minutes :v:

But what if you need those 76 XCOM points later? :ohdear:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That is the content I subscribe to your channel for :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

But what if you NEED that footage for an episode later?