Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Found an imgur thing with most of the new books art.

https://imgur.com/a/ywpoioM

Seeing this image

I was thinking what is Amelia's rank again. Her father is the Crown Prince, but does that make her a princess I don't know how noble rankings work.

She'd still be a princess, as far as I know.

Just finished Try, which is still good, but it felt like the main plot had too much focus. The standalone episodes were fun as hell, but feel like they were just tacked on which messed with the pacing. Needed way more childish humour since that's what Slayers does best, imo. The part in Next where Gourry gets kicked in the dick will never not make me laugh - everyone's timing and facial expressions are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"the natural enemy of all that lives" still makes me chuckle every time i think about it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fond the Revolution "You are under arrest for the crime... of being Lina Inverse." "Yep she's guilty."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Coxswain Balls posted:

She'd still be a princess, as far as I know.

Just finished Try, which is still good, but it felt like the main plot had too much focus. The standalone episodes were fun as hell, but feel like they were just tacked on which messed with the pacing. Needed way more childish humour since that's what Slayers does best, imo. The part in Next where Gourry gets kicked in the dick will never not make me laugh - everyone's timing and facial expressions are perfect.

I forgive Try because it had Jyllas, the best evil henchman.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also really like Valgaav, even if he's a bit heavy for a Slayers villain in terms of general plot/backstory.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I also really like Valgaav, even if he's a bit heavy for a Slayers villain in terms of general plot/backstory.
Valgaav, as a villain, is so good that, even with Kanzaka not being the biggest fan of Try, he's gone on record saying that he's fond of our teal-eyed dragon boy. :3:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The OVAs have the feel of Looney Tunes shorts. The twist in the third episode of Book of Spells was predictable right off the bat, but that just meant I was looking forward to it the entire time until it finally happened.

And man, you weren't kidding when you said your tolerance of the movies and OVAs was dependent on how much Naga you can handle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been thinking about xellos lately. i've long considered it kind of strange to keep a character around who could end the story any time he feels like it. what's more, there's good reasons why he'd want to (lina keeps beating up shabranigdu and i don't think she will ever stop). instead, xellos hangs out being mildly annoying, often for no particular reason. as for why i say he could wipe the party, lina's big guns are very slow and unwieldy, but xellos is super fast, stealthy, capable of teleporting at will, and as a high rank mazoku normal spells wouldn't really work on him even if they hit. it's like he was designed from the start to be un-fightable.

however, as this thread has pointed out, slayers is a d&d campaign. in that context, xellos makes perfect sense. he's a dm contrivance to handle a party that keeps picking fights with important npcs. xellos is a character the players can't beat up, and he can simply leave if they try. so, he is always available to provide cryptic hints and move the quest along.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

How did Lina beat up Shabranigdu but she can't beat up Xellos? Science can't explain that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, they actually do fight him once in an episode of Revolution and he easily wipes the floor with the entire group. Xellos is an interesting character, he's not a good guy by any stretch but I find it kind of hard to classify him as a villain either.

Aside from whatever master he happens to be serving at the time he generally does whatever he wants, both helping and hindering Lina and her group as he sees fit. Do the novels go into any further detail as to what his actual goals are (or was he a character created exclusively for the anime)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Cappy posted:

How did Lina beat up Shabranigdu but she can't beat up Xellos? Science can't explain that.

When you cut a guy into pieces, the individual pieces are often weaker than their underlings. Also they find it amusing that mortals try to hurt him, never considering they will tattle to mommy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Watched Slayers Great tonight, which lived up to its name. Perfectly did the thing again where you know what the twist is gonna be from like a mile away, but you have no idea how it's going to be executed and it ends up being even better than you expected. The whole thing being an homage to classic super robot shows was just icing on the cake.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

When you cut a guy into pieces, the individual pieces are often weaker than their underlings. Also they find it amusing that mortals try to hurt him, never considering they will tattle to mommy.
Actually Ruby Eyes' pieces on their own are still vastly more powerful than all of his minions. Gaav stated that even if he teamed up with all his counterparts (Hellmaster, Greater Beast) they would still be no match for the single active Shard imprisoned in the Ice up north. Which is why he was seeking powerful magic items to destroy it.

Captain Cappy posted:

In story she defeats two Shabranigdu shards. The first one back in the first season, had not yet reached full power, leading her to try the potentially world destroying Giga Slave on him to end him before he reached full power. He still tanked the Giga Slave, but his host Rezo allowed it to enter through Shabranigdu's defenses. Shabrangdu potentially still could have survived, but states that he will allow his shards death as a reward for Lina doing so well.

The Second Shard was defeated in the Novels possessing a Mercenary named Luke. Lina and Gourry defeat the Shard because Luke is suicidal. Lina Channels a Dragon Slave through the Sword of Light, and while normally this would not work because the Dragon Slaves draws upon Ruby Eyes' power Luke's suicidalness and lingering will in the Shard allow the Dragon Slave to work on him.

Larryb posted:

Hell, they actually do fight him once in an episode of Revolution and he easily wipes the floor with the entire group. Xellos is an interesting character, he's not a good guy by any stretch but I find it kind of hard to classify him as a villain either.

Aside from whatever master he happens to be serving at the time he generally does whatever he wants, both helping and hindering Lina and her group as he sees fit. Do the novels go into any further detail as to what his actual goals are (or was he a character created exclusively for the anime)?

Xellos is in the Novels as well. He is more sinister there and is more feared and hated by the group. His true allegiance is to his creator Greater Beast Zelas Metallium. Each of the Demon Lords created by Shabranigdu also created servants of their own. A general and a priest to serve them with two exceptions. Supreme King Dynast Grausherra created two generals, and two priests. Because the Demon Lords need to subtract from their own power to create them, his generals and priests are half as powerful as the others because he created more of them. Greater Beast is the other exception instead of creating a general and priest, she decided to just create a single priest: Xellos who is extra powerful because the power that would have gone into the general went into him instead. Xellos as a result is the most powerful demon outside of the Lords and Shabranigdu.

The Priests and Generals make appearances in the novels and some spin offs but are cut out of the Anime. Gaav for example is assisted by his general and priest in the novels. (Hellmaster's died in the big war) But in the anime they are replaced by Seigram the cloaked Demon. Seigram appears in the novels as well, after his initial defeat teams up with the assassin Zuuma (Who appears in Revolution and Evolution-R) and later merges with him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

lina can beat just about anything if she can actually hit it with a ragna blade. the problem with xellos is that she just plain can't hit him. maybe giga slave would work, but lina stopped using that spell for obvious reasons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Cappy posted:

Sore wa himitsu desu.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Why would she beat up a good friend?

Real answer, because he's more useful to have around than being dead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Xellos is smart enough to wait until Lina dies of old age before he executes his evil plan.

Until then he's content enough to help her out for his amusement and derailing his rivals own evil plans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Or unless Zelas tells him to kill her.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was very concerned about the prejudiced portrayal of the antagonists in Premium at first, however I'm very glad to see that it all worked out in the end.

They changed the character models for that one which looked weird, like everyone got stung by bees and their faces were all puffed up. Do the newer seasons also look like that? I was also hoping Amelia would get to see her big sis, since both of them were pretty superfluous otherwise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I was very concerned about the prejudiced portrayal of the antagonists in Premium at first, however I'm very glad to see that it all worked out in the end.

They changed the character models for that one which looked weird, like everyone got stung by bees and their faces were all puffed up. Do the newer seasons also look like that? I was also hoping Amelia would get to see her big sis, since both of them were pretty superfluous otherwise.

Similar yes, but I seem to remember Revolution/Evolution-R looking a little better and no, Amelia and Naga never meet in this series (sort of, you'll see). In fact, Naga's cameo in Premium was honestly kind of pointless (she has like two lines and maybe 10 seconds of screen time at most).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 2, 2018

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Wait, this isn't Goblin Slayer.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

redsniper posted:

Wait, this isn't Goblin Slayer.
Technically it is, it's for all "Slayer" shows.

You just gotta roll the dice on getting judged for watching Goblin Slayer. I'm watching it, I just don't talk about it 'cause nobody else is and I don't wanna be the "let's talk about goblin slayer" guy.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Fun Fact: Lina Inverse is better at slaying goblins than Goblin Slayer.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

That's cheating though, because she DOES use fire and explosions.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You just gotta roll the dice on getting judged for watching Goblin Slayer. I'm watching it, I just don't talk about it 'cause nobody else is and I don't wanna be the "let's talk about goblin slayer" guy.

I heard the anime cut out the worst parts of the later stuff, so it gets a small star for now being the worst thing ever put on TV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mordaedil posted:

I heard the anime cut out the worst parts of the later stuff, so it gets a small star for now being the worst thing ever put on TV.

No, it just shifted the arcs around for dramatic purposes. Also hahahahahahahahahahaha. You think Goblin Slayer is the worst thing ever put on TV?

EDIT: Like what, this is worse than Gate? This is worse than the upcoming Shield Hero?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 6, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mordaedil posted:

Goblin Slayer is absolute trash but it's not even within a million miles of being the worst thing ever put on TV. God, I wish it was the worst thing ever put on TV.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's probably not even the worst thing airing this season.

It still sucks, though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah there is that lesbian pedo maid anime this season.

I've just watched all the OVAs/movies and its so weird that they are all just adventures with Naga.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kanos posted:

Goblin Slayer is absolute trash but it's not even within a million miles of being the worst thing ever put on TV. God, I wish it was the worst thing ever put on TV.

The Qwaser of Stigmata? I'm just amazed that with all of its even slightly reduced subtext and killing goblin kids in its first episode, it just became a harem anime like this was How to Not Summon a Demon Lord, but hates women just a little bit more.

Is Naga just some hallucination Lina has in every big budget film or is she actually canon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All of the movies/OVAs chronologically take place before the first season of the anime (except Premium which takes place after Try). Naga is basically Lina's former traveling partner from before she met Gourry. She's from the novels which said movies/OVAs are loosely based on so yes, she's canon.

She's also apparently Amelia's older sister but that's never really mentioned in the series proper aside from a brief exchange in Evolution-R (and an offhand reference in Try).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 7, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Naga *technically doesn't appear in the main Slayers continuity, since her adventures with Lina happen before Lina runs into Gourry (the Slayers Special novels, manga and OVA's, along with Slayers Smash, which is basically Special 2.0). Remember that, while they go on to have great adventures and whatnot, Lina and Gourry had their respective reputations in several kingdoms/villages before running into each other.

*Nama, the suit of living armor that shows up in Slayers Evolution-R (the final season of the anime so far) is all but stated to be containing Naga's soul

e: beaten again. :shobon:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If you don't like it you probably said your piece in the old thread and if you do like it there's not much to say beyond hey it was cool when the goblins got btfo.

But it does in fact have Slayer in the name, so everything's on the up and up.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

No, it just shifted the arcs around for dramatic purposes.

Are you sure they're moving it around and not just skipping that chapter completely? My understanding is that it was a pretty poo poo chapter both in being gross and also making no sense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grapplejack posted:

Are you sure they're moving it around and not just skipping that chapter completely? My understanding is that it was a pretty poo poo chapter both in being gross and also making no sense.

It's 100% not being skipped also what did you hear happened in the Farm Raid. Because while GS does have shocking imagery nothing bad actually happens, in fact, if something bad happened during the Farm Raid it would undermine the whole point of that arc probably. Like this is an important arc, it's been foreshadowed to hell and back and what else would you conclude the season on?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's 100% not being skipped also what did you hear happened in the Farm Raid. Because while GS does have shocking imagery nothing bad actually happens, in fact, if something bad happened during the Farm Raid it would undermine the whole point of that arc probably. Like this is an important arc, it's been foreshadowed to hell and back and what else would you conclude the season on?

Oh I was told about a town raid that happens that involves a train of nude captives. Is that later?

e: I kinda wish the high elf was the other main character rather than the priestess, I really enjoy her interactions with goblin slayer.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 6, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

people get up in arms over the goblins using human shields. Which is something that's dealt with in a matter of panels. It's being really overblown.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
:neckbeard: Yay, a Slayers thread! I was a bit surprised to see this and thought a new series was broadcasting. I only got through Try back in the day, might have to track down the remaining series that I missed.

Megumin is a good girl, but Lina will always be best girl. But I wouldn't object to a crossover event, just think of the explosive mayhem.

edit: Thanks for the info Larryb!

Blight Runner fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 6, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mulderman posted:

people get up in arms over the goblins using human shields. Which is something that's dealt with in a matter of panels. It's being really overblown.

Specifically, the goblins show up to attack a town and their big strategy is they use a bunch of tower shields with naked and abused women tied to them as human shields. It being dealt with so quickly debatably makes it even worse, because since it's dealt with so quickly and trivially by the protagonists it is basically just an excuse for the artist to draw a bunch of tortured naked women for several pages with no actual ultimate purpose for the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blight Runner posted:

:neckbeard: Yay, a Slayers thread! I was a bit surprised to see this and thought a new series was broadcasting. I only got through Try back in the day, might have to track down the remaining series that I missed.

Megumin is a good girl, but Lina will always be best girl. But I wouldn't object to a crossover event, just think of the explosive mayhem.

As has been mentioned earlier, provided you're in the US the entire series can be found legally on Funimation's YouTube channel in both subtitled and dubbed formats. As for the remaining seasons, Revolution is mostly filler and setup but isn't bad by any stretch, Evolution-R on the other hand is probably my third favorite season (the first two being the original and Next respectively). However, one of the good things about this series is that there really are no bad entries (in my opinion anyway).

But yeah, I would love a new series at this point (or at the very least a movie or an OVA), especially since they recently started releasing new novels over in Japan.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 6, 2018