Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jealous Cow posted:

Wouldn’t she be more effective serving in the house or senate for a few decades first? If she wins the presidency on that kind of timeline she’d basically be done with politics by her mid-40s.

More practically speaking, the longer you serve as a legislator the more weird votes you have to defend and the harder it is to run for executive office. There's a reason Obama jumped right across to President ASAP.

edit: why can't I find a picture of AOC with a puppy

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

friendbot2000 posted:

Political office should not be a loving profession in a Democracy and we need leaders that are relevant and still in touch with the needs of younger generations. Asking her to wait her turn until she is older plays into this stupid cultural trap that "age= experience = better at everything, suck it young folk"

Building political and leadership experience - not to mention developing relationships - is a good and necessary thing, and it would be foolish to ignore that. Trump is a perfect example of the drawbacks of electing someone who is incompetent. Let Ocasio Cortez develop her career and find her strengths before putting the entire weight of a national political party on her back. There are plenty of good Democratic candidates.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More practically speaking, the longer you serve as a legislator the more weird votes you have to defend and the harder it is to run for executive office. There's a reason Obama jumped right across to President ASAP.

That’s a good point.

I wasn’t talking about making her “wait her turn”, I was talking about giving her the chance to lead the caucus for longer and have a longer lasting impact.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

crikey, let her serve a couple terms in the House first

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Political office should not be a loving profession in a Democracy and we need leaders that are relevant and still in touch with the needs of younger generations. Asking her to wait her turn until she is older plays into this stupid cultural trap that "age= experience = better at everything, suck it young folk"

Counterpoint: The GOP excessively using the 'I am not a politician,' tagline that has hugely infected state and local office campaigns, is the primary reason our civics are rotting on the loving vine.

This is literally one of the primary reasons why places like North Carolina, Wisconsin, Kansas and now Michigan are so incredibly hosed up.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
She can primary Schumer in 2022. He is so terrible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1070468561288814592

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Counterpoint: The GOP excessively using the 'I am not a politician,' tagline that has hugely infected state and local office campaigns, is the primary reason our civics are rotting on the loving vine.

This is literally one of the primary reasons why places like North Carolina, Wisconsin, Kansas and now Michigan are so incredibly hosed up.

Willful ignorance is a cancer ruining society on every level.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

Lote posted:

She can primary Schumer in 2022. He is so terrible.

Yeah I kind of thought her calling out Schumer's unpaid interns was exactly a prelude to this. Dude hasn't had a real reelection campaign with the public and is super out of touch with his base. And he tried to lamely say it was a mistake, lol.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

No.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Can we at least give it a few years to see how the rest of the freshman Congress-people shape up? I like AOC but who knows, maybe someone will make an even better candidate over the next few years.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kavros posted:

By the time someone like AOC is old enough to be considered presidential material (which is honestly going to be more in the 40's), most of the demographics that would keep her from being president will have been hollowed out by death from old age. Severely.

Plus she will have spent two decades Bernie Sandersing her way through congress with all her proposals short of a post office rename being shot down by the right and middle.

Katt fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 6, 2018

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

not joseph stalin posted:

Yeah I kind of thought her calling out Schumer's unpaid interns was exactly a prelude to this. Dude hasn't had a real reelection campaign with the public and is super out of touch with his base. And he tried to lamely say it was a mistake, lol.

Schumer probably doesn't pay his interns because there's a greater than not chance that the only people that can afford to actually intern for him are the scions of well connected New Yorkers he knows. I'd bet money on this.

Unpaid internships are essentially an in for selecting rich kids.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

not joseph stalin posted:

I’m pretty sure she would destroy him in a fair fight. I’m pretty sure the DSCC and Schumer’s centrist pals and Wall Street donors will make the fight extremely ugly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Retro42 posted:

Can we at least give it a few years to see how the rest of the freshman Congress-people shape up?

No.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

sounds like someone needs to do a photo op!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Schumer always funnels money away from elections that are potential (if unlikely) pickups into his. He's actively working against the Democrats' purported interests in any way he can. A novelty drinking bird that just voted party line would be a more effective Senator than him. Removing him from office is one of the most important things that needs to be done.

Also yeah the Times has always been Nazi friendly but it has been very good branding itself as the only serious news outlet (in a similar way as John McCain) by kissing rear end to the right people and shameless self promotion. People subscribing to them in 2016 to support "real journalism" was because of their I'll gotten reputation and everyday you see people surprised how bad they are since it's a real Emporer with no clothes situation. Remember that their head was the guy that ran the BBC during the Jimmy Savile pedophile scandal.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
AOC is lisa simpson

though that would mean trump wins in 2020...

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Why?

Even if you are 100% behind her and her alone you have 6 years(I think, not entirely sure where age cutoffs happen in this case) to look at everyone else.

There are some really good young Dems that made it to Congress with this election.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

And there's a reason for that. 'Experience' keeps being used to excuse politicians that are rightfully pissing everyone off. Elections are not a job interview. (and in any case see the comparisons to entry-level jobs demanding years of experience which millennials are all too familiar with)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Giuliani initially pushed back on the prediction that Trump would take center stage after the report drops. “I don’t think following his lead is the right thing. He’s the client,” he told me. “The more controlled a person is, the more intelligent they are, the more they can make the decision. But he’s just like every other client. He’s not more … you know, controlled than any other client. In fact, he’s a little less.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/trump-white-house-has-no-plan-counter-mueller-report/577417/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd prefer that Ocasio-Cortez stays in the House....

.... so that we can abolish the Senate :getin:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Retro42 posted:

Why?

Even if you are 100% behind her and her alone you have 6 years(I think, not entirely sure where age cutoffs happen in this case) to look at everyone else.

There are some really good young Dems that made it to Congress with this election.

We don't have time for that, I'm going to DC to inaugurate her right now are you with me or not

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
AOC sounds great but she hasnt done anything. Obama was very fresh and look how that turned out...

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/Medium/status/1070672326860136448

Watch out guys or the Tactical Nutter Butters brigade will rise up to defend their freedom to LARP the Turner Diaries.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And there's a reason for that. 'Experience' keeps being used to excuse politicians that are rightfully pissing everyone off. Elections are not a job interview. (and in any case see the comparisons to entry-level jobs demanding years of experience which millennials are all too familiar with)

Experience in the system hasn't been helping the Democrats very much as the Republicans continue to break every norm and poo poo all over the agreed upon rules. Sitting in a chair for decades as things get slowly but surely worse isn't very inspiring if you don't have some outside work being done to show you give a poo poo. AOC is doing the work to engage with people as opposed to other politicians having expensive dinners and then snidely insulting people who say they aren't doing enough in the rare instances they interact with someone outisde their social class.

Enigma89 posted:

AOC sounds great but she hasnt done anything. Obama was very fresh and look how that turned out...

Obama's problem was that he was a right wing Democrat that was very good at messaging on left wing issues he had very little interest in following up on. If AOC is another conservative mole that's one thing but it won't be because she doesn't have enough years on a line in her resume.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 6, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Manafort and Cohen briefings both drop tomorrow, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AsaWinstanley/status/1070634687486414848

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

But they can't censor Trump because he is "newsworthy."

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Question:

Now that I’m looking into it more I’m not seeing the specifics of the POTUS age requirement. Does “35 to serve” mean at time of name going on ballot, election, or serving? I think she turns 35 a few days before the election in 2024 if my early morning math brain is functional.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Enigma89 posted:

While true, that didn’t really have anything to do with Obamas “lack of experience” it had to do with his actual ideological convictions.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/Medium/status/1070672326860136448

Watch out guys or the Tactical Nutter Butters brigade will rise up to defend their freedom to LARP the Turner Diaries.

You know at least a few of these guys have live ammunition in their guns and poor trigger discipline.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Enigma89 posted:

Obama was always a centrist liberal though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Retro42 posted:

Question:

Now that I’m looking into it more I’m not seeing the specifics of the POTUS age requirement. Does “35 to serve” mean at time of name going on ballot, election, or serving? I think she turns 35 a few days before the election in 2024 if my early morning math brain is functional.

35 by the day you're inaugurated is my understanding

Your Taint posted:

The Manafort and Cohen briefings both drop tomorrow, right?

yeah though I don't think we have a lot left to learn from the Cohen SDNY memo (maybe we'll be surprised but i'm not betting on it)

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 6, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

In different news, DOW futures are down roughly 400 thanks to the stupid stupid stupid call by the admin to arrest the HuaWei CFO. Could be an interesting day if you track the markets.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 6, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You guys know that you're going to need people on every level if you want an actual movement or social change, right? You can't want to immediately thrust everyone into the presidency, you need benches willing to enforce that policy. AoC would be better served taking Schumer's seat rather than running for president.

E: and it's insane to even have this conversation before she's made a single vote. Like goddamn relax, guys.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

E: and it's insane to even have this conversation before she's made a single vote. Like goddamn relax, guys.

I thought this was the uspol fanfiction thread?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Heritage/status/1070672710425108482

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

You guys know that you're going to need people on every level if you want an actual movement or social change, right? You can't want to immediately thrust everyone into the presidency, you need benches willing to enforce that policy. AoC would be better served taking Schumer's seat rather than running for president.

There will be plenty of room for more people in the House when we abolish the Senate and pass the Wyoming Rule for apportionment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kavros posted:

By the time someone like AOC is old enough to be considered presidential material (which is honestly going to be more in the 40's), most of the demographics that would keep her from being president will have been hollowed out by death from old age. Severely.

Millennial governance, when it comes, will make Republicans regret every decision they made after 1993. It's going to be outright cruel to them.

drat right, it's gonna be so cruel that those chud pricks will have free healthcare, social welfare, and an eco-conscious infrastructure and jobs program. Then they will know suffering!