Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Would it be possible to like, do a "clean" shot for possible CG, and then do one with a squib, and if anything goes wrong with the squib you've got a clean take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Lycus posted:

The Lobster is super weird.

I wanted to rewatch this the other day, but I noticed they took it down from Prime, and was very sad. But then I noticed it had been added to Netflix and felt very happy.

I really liked it the first time I watched it, but I think it might be one of my favorite movies now. It is super weird, but it's the exact kind of weirdness I love. I'm so glad Yorgos Lanthimos exists. I recommended this to my coworker the other day because she said she likes romcoms. I was sort of joking, but also not really.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I wanted to rewatch this the other day, but I noticed they took it down from Prime, and was very sad. But then I noticed it had been added to Netflix and felt very happy.

I really liked it the first time I watched it, but I think it might be one of my favorite movies now. It is super weird, but it's the exact kind of weirdness I love. I'm so glad Yorgos Lanthimos exists. I recommended this to my coworker the other day because she said she likes romcoms. I was sort of joking, but also not really.

I'm always conflicted about open-ended endings. The shot hung on Weisz so long, I was so sure we were going to see Farrell walking away in the window.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Would it be possible to like, do a "clean" shot for possible CG, and then do one with a squib, and if anything goes wrong with the squib you've got a clean take?

Of course. The thing is that every time you reset a shot it takes time and time is money. Also if a squib is used and someone fucks up a scene one might need a wardrobe change to deal with continuity issues and such. We did a lot of post blood adding/removing because of continuity issues and that isn't fun in post.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pingiivi posted:

Of course. The thing is that every time you reset a shot it takes time and time is money. Also if a squib is used and someone fucks up a scene one might need a wardrobe change to deal with continuity issues and such. We did a lot of post blood adding/removing because of continuity issues and that isn't fun in post.

Additionally, at that point you're basically paying to make two versions of the same scene, and only one is going to get into the final cut.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm off today and am planning on binging through some of the new MST3K while playing Diablo. Is the first season worth it or should I skip to the second? I'm excited about the Mac and Me episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

loudog999 posted:

I'm off today and am planning on binging through some of the new MST3K while playing Diablo. Is the first season worth it or should I skip to the second? I'm excited about the Mac and Me episode.

The second season is a marked improvement, but you should definitely check out Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic from season 1.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

The "2nd" season is by far stronger, tighter, and funnier, but the "1st" season still has some of the best episodes of the show, especially Cry Wilderness, Avalanche, Carnival Magic and the Christmas episode. There isn't a bad episode in the bunch, it just gets better as it goes. That said, they are both self-contained, besides the first sketch of "season 2" being a punchline to the joke set up in the final episode of "season 1".

Lycus posted:

I'm always conflicted about open-ended endings. The shot hung on Weisz so long, I was so sure we were going to see Farrell walking away in the window.

I think it works especially well with The Lobster. Since a lot of the world itself is open to interpretation and the audience filling in the negative space, the ending tonally fits in well. What I think makes it one of the best endings in the past few years is how it works as a Rorschach test for the audience members with their views of love and relationships. From discussions I've had with friends that have seen it, those that have happier/successful/healthy relationships tend to view it more optimistic and assume he gouges his eyes out for his love, whereas the friends who have had unhealthy relationships in the past (or currently) tend to have a more pessimistic view and assume that he doesn't love her enough to gouge away his vision and he leaves her. I found it powerful and clever.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The second season is a marked improvement, but you should definitely check out Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic from season 1.

Watch those two for sure and check out Wizard of the Lost Kingdom too. It doesn't get much love but I thought it was great.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I think it works especially well with The Lobster. Since a lot of the world itself is open to interpretation and the audience filling in the negative space, the ending tonally fits in well. What I think makes it one of the best endings in the past few years is how it works as a Rorschach test for the audience members with their views of love and relationships. From discussions I've had with friends that have seen it, those that have happier/successful/healthy relationships tend to view it more optimistic and assume he gouges his eyes out for his love, whereas the friends who have had unhealthy relationships in the past (or currently) tend to have a more pessimistic view and assume that he doesn't love her enough to gouge away his vision and he leaves her. I found it powerful and clever.

I love the ending and that nothing is ever explained in the movie. I am definitely not one of those people who think it has an "optimistic" ending. To me that seems entirely at odds with basically the entire movie. I thought the most loving relationship shown was between Colin Farrell and his dog/brother. In the world they've presented, genuine love between two humans seems to be deliberately impossible due to all the regulations and it'll be severely punished if it somehow happens anyway. But then there's just as much rules regarding being single too. The two "successful" relationships we see are based on a lie where the guy has to continually bash his face in and where the husband is totally willing to kill his wife.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen The Lobster OR Killing of A Sacred Deer. Would I be driven insane if I were to do a double feature? Would that be too much?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen The Lobster OR Killing of A Sacred Deer. Would I be driven insane if I were to do a double feature? Would that be too much?

Do it.

I also haven't seen Killing of a Sacred Deer yet. Or ALPS for that matter. But I love The Lobster and Dogtooth.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I love the ending and that nothing is ever explained in the movie. I am definitely not one of those people who think it has an "optimistic" ending. To me that seems entirely at odds with basically the entire movie. I thought the most loving relationship shown was between Colin Farrell and his dog/brother. In the world they've presented, genuine love between two humans seems to be deliberately impossible due to all the regulations and it'll be severely punished if it somehow happens anyway. But then there's just as much rules regarding being single too. The two "successful" relationships we see are based on a lie where the guy has to continually bash his face in and where the husband is totally willing to kill his wife.

I dunno about that. The couple (David and Shortsighted Woman?) is shown to engage in physical and emotional affection towards each other beyond what is socially acceptable or seen anywhere else in the story. They could easily be in trouble for making out during the guitar performance, for example, and yet they do so with very little regard for their surroundings.

edit: Holy poo poo, Netflix has The Lobster under "Comedy" and describes it as "Romantic". I mean, it is a comedy, but that's gonna gently caress a lot of people up.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 5, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I dunno about that. The couple (David and Shortsighted Woman?) and the act is shown to engage in physical and emotional affection towards each other beyond what is socially acceptable or seen anywhere else in the story. They could easily be in trouble for making out during the guitar performance, for example, and yet they do so with very little regard for their surroundings.

I guess I should amend my statement and say their feelings towards each other seemed real in the beginning, but their relationship could never survive in the real world because they're breaking the rules. But their relationship only started because they both have bad eyesight and once that's gone they agree it's pointless to pretend otherwise. Whereas David doesn't seem to require any specific commonalities with his dog/brother in order to continue caring for him. He even ruins his chances of "making it" in the hotel because he can't hide his emotions about his death.

Also, I support a Lobster and Sacred Deer double feature. But it depends how much you like completely emotionless monotones.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, Netflix has The Lobster under "Comedy" and describes it as "Romantic". I mean, it is a comedy, but that's gonna gently caress a lot of people up.

My wife and I saw The Lobster because it was classified as a comedy and the trailer sold it as almost being somewhat whimsical. Imagine our shock once it was all over. I loved it, but it completely lost my wife after the insane lady killed Colin Farrell's dog brother. It's not that she didn't like the movie on the whole, it was just so jarring for her personally, especially when they showed the dead dog. I've only seen this and The Favourite recently, so I don't know if violence towards animals is a common theme across all of Lanthimos's movies or not, but it was certainly off-putting for someone who didn't expect it. So yes, it may be a comedy, but it leans far closer to dark comedy which is why I always counsel caution before people see his movies.

Also I know this isn't the Last Movie You've Seen thread, but we saw The Favourite over the weekend and it was excellent. Lanthimos really knows how to prove himself as a great director in any genre.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

loudog999 posted:

Cry Wilderness is one of the best episodes of the entire show.

Though, I don't think a host segment made me laugh as much as the last one in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't with the slide show mocking the similarly inexplicable scene in the movie.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

New season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is available if you're into that. Seems to keep up the quality of the first season an episode in.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to know what part of Netflix's algorithm occasionally selects random photographs of supporting characters for their thumbnails, rather than the DVD cover art:

https://imgur.com/gallery/iIVg56P

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sock The Great posted:

I'd love to know what part of Netflix's algorithm occasionally selects random photographs of supporting characters for their thumbnails, rather than the DVD cover art:

They're actually constantly cycling images to see what drives the most people to click. It's continuous A/B testing. I saw a presentation from them at work one time that was about this specifically.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sock The Great posted:

To be fair, that guy is like the third biggest part in the movie if only because Wind River only has like four characters.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Blast Fantasto posted:

They're actually constantly cycling images to see what drives the most people to click. It's continuous A/B testing. I saw a presentation from them at work one time that was about this specifically.

This, and also a dirty secret about A/B testing is that sometimes any change at all gives you a bump in metrics. That movie you've been blindly scrolling past in their carousel for months suddenly looks different, it catches your eye, and consequently maybe you have a 1% greater chance of actually watching it due to this momentary hook.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't it also shown that some people that watch a lot of gunplay movies get thumbnails with guns, those that watch stand ups get smiling people, etc?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I actually find this tactic kind of interesting and think it's sort of effective. I know I've given a lot of stuff a second look because a thumbnail that appealed to my tastes popped into the rotation.

I just look right past stuff featuring the stars posing, but then they will cycle in some movie poster type art that looks cool and I'll actually end up watching it. But it's interesting because you can tell that they really intentionally design different versions of thumbnails to appeal to different types of people. There's always the indie/arthouse poster one, the hollywood style one, the premium cable style one, and a bunch just featuring different stars.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations about Aliens like movies last time dudes, I’ve got another one. What are yalls favorite sci fi movies from 1950-1990? I watched Logan’s Run, Escape From New York, Soylent Green, Omega Man, Running Man, A Boy and His Dog, and both invasions of the body snatchers, among other things. Tonight I was thinking of watching THX 1138 if it’s any good

I’ve got Netflix and prime

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
In order to answer, I have to ask: Is Short Circuit streaming anywhere?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Frog Act posted:

Thanks for the recommendations about Aliens like movies last time dudes, I’ve got another one. What are yalls favorite sci fi movies from 1950-1990? I watched Logan’s Run, Escape From New York, Soylent Green, Omega Man, Running Man, A Boy and His Dog, and both invasions of the body snatchers, among other things. Tonight I was thinking of watching THX 1138 if it’s any good

They Live.

But I don't know where to find it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

Wasn't it also shown that some people that watch a lot of gunplay movies get thumbnails with guns, those that watch stand ups get smiling people, etc?
They definitely target different thumbnails based on people's preferences. It's not just A/B testing.

Edit: They have a whole article about it here: https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/artwork-personalization-c589f074ad76

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 6, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They Live.

But I don't know where to find it.

probably should've mentioned that but it slipped my mind, They Live and Repo Man are my two favorite films and I've probably seen them both a hundred times

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Frog Act posted:

If you can get a trial of Hulu, they have Hardware which I remember being absolutely nuts and seems like something you would love based on the list. Can't think of anything else on prime or netflix off the top of my head unfortunately, but there's probably a lot of stuff i forgot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Frog Act posted:

THX 1138 is pretty awesome, especially the director's cut.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

If you can get a trial of Hulu, they have Hardware which I remember being absolutely nuts and seems like something you would love based on the list. Can't think of anything else on prime or netflix off the top of my head unfortunately, but there's probably a lot of stuff i forgot.

thanks! I'll look for that, I've heard of it but never saw it.

Egbert Souse posted:

THX 1138 is pretty awesome, especially the director's cut.

is the director's cut better? I started it and noticed all this really obvious CGI and then realized I was watching the directors cut and stopped because of the Star Wars directors cuts. I was just gonna watch the regular version elsewhere, or is that not necessary?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that the general agreement was that the THX director's cut ruined the groundbreaking editing/sound editing/mixing outside of the unnecessary (and misguided) CGI?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Walter Murch himself supervised the 5.1 remix.

I'd actually recommend just buying the Blu-ray since there's a lot of supplements. Commentary by Lucas and Murch on the film, option to watch the film with music and effects only (in 5.1!), a feature-length doc on American Zoetrope, and the original student film it was based upon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Frog Act posted:

I have no idea if any of these are streaming, but allow me to rattle off a couple dozen suggestions:

Forbidden Planet
They Live
It Came From Outer Space
Solaris
Godzilla vs Hedorah
King Kong vs Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Biollante
Reanimator
Bride of Re-Animator
From Beyond
Buckaroo Banzai
The Blob
Phantasm
Dune
The Brood
The Return of the Living Dead
Brazil
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind
Blade Runner

Some of these are more horror than sci-fi, but you’ve already watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so I think they’ll meet your criteria.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Frog Act posted:

The original Westworld is on Prime if you haven't seen it.

And I'd still recommend the director's cut of THX. Some of the CG effects are a bit iffy, but I think it's actually a bit of a tighter movie than the original.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Queen Combat posted:

In order to answer, I have to ask: Is Short Circuit streaming anywhere?

Crackle has short circuit and short circuit 2!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Frog Act posted:

If Altered States qualifies, then that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Screamers is a great sci fi trash movie from the 80's.
Edit: uh 1995 apparently

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Add Runaway to the list.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i loved both short circuit movies when i was a kid but goddamn short circuit 2 is uh something else (something not good). short circuit 1 and 1980s ally sheedy though :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

LifeLynx posted:

If you've got kids, The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix is truly bizarre. Kurt Russell as smug Santa, incomprehensible "Santa rules" that change from scene to scene, and some of the most horrifying elves I've ever seen. Actual Minions would be less terrifying.

My wife insisted we watch this the other night, and I found it better than I thought it would be. The elves were indeed creepy and the plot was a bit cliched (I suggest people play a drinking game where they take a shot every time the phrase "Dad would've wanted etc." is spoken) but Kurt Russell weird Santa was kinda fun. It's interesting and whimsical enough to watch with or without kids. Our son watched it with us, but since he's only nearly 2 he didn't make it that long before falling asleep.

Also, last night we watched Albion: The Enchanted Stallion because it was allegedly billed as a Christmas movie. However, it only is in the sense that Christmas is briefly mentioned at the beginning before the plot abandons that idea completely for a generic fantasy setting with all the things that come with it. It was an ok watch I guess, but it was just so weird trying to think of it as a Christmas movie the whole time. Most of the performances are stiff and dull, but John Cleese is in it and he's reliably over the top and silly.