Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat right, it's gonna be so cruel that those chud pricks will have free healthcare, social welfare, and an eco-conscious infrastructure and jobs program. Then they will know suffering!

So basically a replay of the New Deal, only with less racism.

But we might also go back to OG New Deal Democrat ideas about what to do with Nazis.

Spoiler: it involves dropping white phosphorous on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sean10mm posted:

So basically a replay of the New Deal, only with less racism.

But we might also go back to OG New Deal Democrat ideas about what to do with Nazis.

Spoiler: it involves dropping white phosphorous on them.

Much like the actual Nazis, 99% of them will take off the uniforms (MAGA hats) and merge back into polite society, and they will never suffer for their actions because what can you do. Still, as long as they shut the gently caress up and keep their hateful nature bottled up due to fear of retribution, I'm fine with that

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Failed Imagineer posted:

Much like the actual Nazis, 99% of them will take off the uniforms (MAGA hats) and merge back into polite society, and they will never suffer for their actions because what can you do. Still, as long as they shut the gently caress up and keep their hateful nature bottled up due to fear of retribution, I'm fine with that

So what you are saying is we should carve MAGA into their foreheads?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

With a snarl Jesus turned his gaze upon the hypocrites. A low growl uttered forth. "Begone!" exclaimed the Lord. "I never knew you."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

fishing with the fam posted:

A branding iron would be more efficient

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The line on the screen that Donnie always talks about is red and going down help what does this mean

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

George H.W. Bush Was The Last President To Really Get Tough With Israel
If other presidents had followed suit, it might have altered the course of Middle East history.

quote:

As part of his efforts, Bush threatened aid to Israel to nudge it in the direction of peace — making him the last American president to take such strong measures against the American ally. And, for a time at least, he got his way.

“Bush’s foreign policy legacy, especially on the issue of Israeli-Palestinian peace, cannot be overstated,” said Daniel Kurtzer, a longtime U.S. diplomat who helped shape Bush’s Middle East policy. “His willingness to be tough on all parties ... ushered in a period of intense diplomacy involving Israel and all of the Arab world.”

Had the United States government continued Bush’s tough-love approach, rather than abandoning it, Kurtzer and other foreign policy veterans argue, the U.S. may have succeeded in brokering the kind of lasting peace deal that still eludes Israel and the Palestinians.

“It’s pretty remarkable that no Republican or Democratic president since has been willing to put meaningful pressure on Israel,” said Khaled Elgindy, a fellow at the Brookings Institution who advised Palestinian negotiators from 2004 to 2009. “Even as they have learned what the peace process has required, they’ve been less willing to do what’s needed.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-h-w-bush-last-president-to-get-tough-with-israel_us_5c06ac48e4b07aec5753418a

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

FizFashizzle posted:

The line on the screen that Donnie always talks about is red and going down help what does this mean

I hope he tweets at it and yells about how unfair the line is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

If other presidents had followed suit, it might have altered the course of Middle East history.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-h-w-bush-last-president-to-get-tough-with-israel_us_5c06ac48e4b07aec5753418a

I heard Glenn Greenwald make basically the same comment on Intercepted yesterday, :shrug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Retro42 posted:

In different news, DOW futures are down roughly 400 thanks to the stupid stupid stupid call by the admin to arrest the HuaWei CFO. Could be an interesting day if you track the markets.

Counterpoint: arrest all CFOs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

Counterpoint: arrest all CFOs

:hmmyes:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I have no idea if Bush actually was tough on Israel, but the basic premise of "don't always favor one side in the conflict" is pretty important in mediating disputes. We kinda let them get away with.. well.. everything they've tried?

In apparently old news, this got linked in the stellaris thread for.. related reasons. It feels more accurate than these headlines for sure.

https://twitter.com/VP/status/863182608552906755

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bush better watch it with the Antisemitism. Not. A. Good. Look.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

I'd say go back to the classics: a crudely etched backwards "B."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Bush better watch it with the Antisemitism. Not. A. Good. Look.

i respect GHWB for his consistent support of BDS and commitment to anti-imperialism

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do write this and not die from irony poisoning?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/Medium/status/1070672326860136448

Watch out guys or the Tactical Nutter Butters brigade will rise up to defend their freedom to LARP the Turner Diaries.

This is so loving stupid it hurts

How are these fuckwits still doing this dumbass poo poo when they have the most pro-them government imaginable?

I could see it under Obama because they loving hated Obama for no loving reason, but this is increasing under the Orange one?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1070669954305818624

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republican-students-fundraise-build-18-foot-wall-push-message-border-security-libs-005119425.html

quote:

Washington State University’s College Republicans hope to build an 18-foot wall in a nod to an 8×20-foot wall the group built in 2016 to “raise awareness of the issue of illegal immigration and border security” and, of course, to “own the libs mercilessly.”

The students also hoping the internet will pick up the tab for their creative demonstration.
Two years ago, the Washington State Cougars chapter of the College Republicans incited protests when it built the 8-foot-tall plywood wall with “TRUMP” spray-painted on it at the university’s Pullman, Wash., campus.

In October, a GoFundMe was set up by the president of the school’s College Republicans, who listed their location as “MOSCOW, ID.”

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're ghouls, and proud of being ghouls.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Someone make this :ironicat: consuming the Milky Way please

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nothing good happens in Pullman.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol no waiting until late friday night for the cohen sdny stuff at least

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1070694645389238272

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

They got that real good canned cheese

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

i am harry posted:

With a snarl Jesus turned his gaze upon the hypocrites. A low growl uttered forth. "Begone!" exclaimed the Lord. "I never knew you."
I appreciated the top response to this Tweet calling them the Gaslight Foundation

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

This is so loving stupid it hurts

How are these fuckwits still doing this dumbass poo poo when they have the most pro-them government imaginable?

I could see it under Obama because they loving hated Obama for no loving reason, but this is increasing under the Orange one?

They've become emboldened by an administration that gives them support, if not overtly then covertly, in the news and through sentiment. Remember when Charlottesville happened and 45 had his "very fine people on both sides" moment? These people hear that and read that, correctly, as being given the green light by an authority figure to engage in their bullshit. This is the GOP base, this is who and what they are.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

yeah though I don't think we have a lot left to learn from the Cohen SDNY memo (maybe we'll be surprised but i'm not betting on it)

It's the Manafort stuff that will contain the juiciest bits iirc.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Mustached Demon posted:

WSU people are so absurdly sensitive about not having gone to UW. They're a natural target for the purveyors of grievance.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

WSU people are so absurdly sensitive about not having gone to UW. They're a natural target for the purveyors of grievance.

They did give us Ryan Leaf and yeah that cheese is good.

I still stand by my statement that Pullman's trash.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

quote:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Kavros posted:

By the time someone like AOC is old enough to be considered presidential material (which is honestly going to be more in the 40's), most of the demographics that would keep her from being president will have been hollowed out by death from old age. Severely.

Millennial governance, when it comes, will make Republicans regret every decision they made after 1993. It's going to be outright cruel to them.

I wish I could share in the optimism but honestly I've been told that Demographics Are Destiny my whole life and the GOP has been declared vanquished forever multiple times and yet here we are. Don't get me wrong, I agree that people like AOC pushing for a positive vision of a future is the really the only way we're going to push back fascism and get out of this but I don't take it as a default.

Millennials overall are much inclusive and way further left but you still have alt-right chuds and proud boys marching around. The next generation maybe even more so left overall but you still have a section of them being raised on a steady diet of white nationalism fed to them by social media algorithms and holy poo poo are they going to be blood gargling psychopaths and those people are going to be the next generation of Republicans.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great start to the day

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

eke out posted:

great start to the day

The interesting part will be how China reacts. If they signal retaliatory arrests for the HuaWei exec then poo poo will really hit the fan.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2018

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Trade war lookin good, very easy to win

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eke out posted:

great start to the day

Annihilate my retirement to own the libs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

Amazingly enough, that's somehow not the absolute worst headline of the day:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1070125770138402817

:psyboom:

he didn't do it because he felt guilt. he did it because he knew he was hosed. also he bragged about the killings to his mom.
https://twitter.com/AshAgony/status/1070252788041613313

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Iron Twinkie posted:

I wish I could share in the optimism but honestly I've been told that Demographics Are Destiny my whole life and the GOP has been declared vanquished forever multiple times and yet here we are. Don't get me wrong, I agree that people like AOC pushing for a positive vision of a future is the really the only way we're going to push back fascism and get out of this but I don't take it as a default.

Millennials overall are much inclusive and way further left but you still have alt-right chuds and proud boys marching around. The next generation maybe even more so left overall but you still have a section of them being raised on a steady diet of white nationalism fed to them by social media algorithms and holy poo poo are they going to be blood gargling psychopaths and those people are going to be the next generation of Republicans.

The people declaring the death of the GOP are absolutely doing so prematurely. Those demographic changes are real, but demographic changes are generational changes, which take a generation. The youngest boomers are around 60. So its still going to be 20+ years before that shift is really entrenched.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Demographic changes aren't going to change the urban/suburban/rural divide, and that poo poo will keep whatever the GOP is in contention forever

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TheScott2K posted:

Demographic changes aren't going to change the urban/suburban/rural divide, and that poo poo will keep whatever the GOP is in contention forever

Didn't the Dems just completely own the sub urbs though?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070698825571012613

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

thegalagakid posted:

They've become emboldened by an administration that gives them support, if not overtly then covertly, in the news and through sentiment. Remember when Charlottesville happened and 45 had his "very fine people on both sides" moment? These people hear that and read that, correctly, as being given the green light by an authority figure to engage in their bullshit. This is the GOP base, this is who and what they are.

I'm not sure how diverse this thread is, but I've noticed that as a white male it is really easy for crazy racist poo poo to just not come up for me to notice in my day-to-day life. I've got a story that really highlights it from when I was in the Army. I worked with another white male who was a bit of a poo poo-head but had never expressed anything like that. One thing to keep in mind though is that like 40% of men and 50+% of women are non-white in the Army.

So one day he is working evening shift and I'm working night shift, and during the hand-off he just mentions, all casual like that the only reason he wasn't promoted at his last duty station was because his sergeant was a black woman. Considering how poo poo he was at the job, the reason he wasn't promoted definitely had nothing to do with that. It sort of blew my mind that just because I was another white guy he thought that I would be totally understanding of his view (instead I went and asked to not have to work with him if they could at all help it). He didn't even really know me, as I had barely worked with him and never hung out with him.

So going around in general, if you're a white guy and not racist, and you're not viewing people's interactions with people of color, it can be surprisingly easy to not know how many goddamn pieces of poo poo are still out there. When you read things like that headline defending nazi-man (or at least obfuscating that he's a nazi), it can feel like it is coming out of left field. I know there are some not-white people in this thread and I kind of wonder if it'll blow their minds that there are people who genuinely thought that this crazy racist poo poo was relegated to backwoods kkk people and well on the way to the dustbin of history. Seeing these people crawl out of the woodwork with trump is just depressing, and I really hope you guys overall have better experiences than 10-20 years ago. Like it was bad enough to have the crazy racists ranting about Obama, but trump just seems to pull out the casual people who say poo poo like "my family didn't own slaves, do you know how much you used to cost?!"