Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SickZip posted:

If you don't fight the Kraken you can't get this https://i.imgur.com/eiKLbh5.png which does this https://i.imgur.com/YoGSL4L.jpg

that's totally the sword Balmung from Myth: The Fallen Lords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

Still want a Myth game using Battle Brothers' combat system some day.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SickZip posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1578207399

1x Poisoned Apple - Hexe
1x Unhold Heart - Unhold
1x Nachzehrer Brain - Nachzehrer
1x Poison Gland - Webknecht
1x Heart of the Forest - Schrat
1x Petrified Scream - Alp
1x Severed Tentacle - Kraken

i'm surprised there's no lindwyrm drops required.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2018

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Roobanguy posted:

i'm surprised there's no lindwyrm drops required.

You already need a severed testicle, what else do you want?

(yes, I know)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain Gordon posted:

Lol, think I am going to pass on that!

now i want to know if you can only fight the kraken once or if it respawns once you beat it

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

now i want to know if you can only fight the kraken once or if it respawns once you beat it

I'm pretty sure in a dev diary they mentioned that after you beat it the first time, there's a chance that they'll spawn randomly in swamps

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Major Isoor posted:

I'm pretty sure in a dev diary they mentioned that after you beat it the first time, there's a chance that they'll spawn randomly in swamps

oh right, i remember reading that and going :stonk:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Please request to have :krakken: placed on the map where they appear

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SickZip posted:

If you don't fight the Kraken you can't get this https://i.imgur.com/eiKLbh5.png which does this https://i.imgur.com/YoGSL4L.jpg

Cool that's basically Alric's sw-

Sloober posted:

dammit

Finally started taking on DLC monsters. Alps are interesting. Definitely want a sergeant before you fight them. Also dogs are really helpful against them.

Night10194 posted:

Still want a Myth game using Battle Brothers' combat system some day.

Quick, someone mod the game to have Casualty and Casulaties! play everytime a bro/many bros die.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm finally bringing my late-midgame / early-lategame company online - reinforced mail hauberks for frontliners and occasionally enough spare cash I can make forward-looking decisions. Also, just beat the undead crisis.

There's a three-unhold mission squad from an abandoned mission rolling around my favorite mining town that, as a mission squad, doesn't interact with local companies or the town. Or me. It's been hanging out for like eighty days now and while I'd be interested to see how I fare against them now that I feel equipped to take them on, I'm frankly tempted to just let them keep wandering for the rest of time. It's like a wildlife preserve. :3:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
is there a good Nimble EHP calculator? The one on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/a2vo41/for_all_you_nimble_nerds/) seems broken (or am I just bad at using sheets?).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So I would have bought the expansion day 1, but didn't have internet at home for a few days. Since then I've read a bit here about the new enemies not being well balanced, plus the whole nimble thing. Is it worth picking up now or should I wait for more patches?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's still fun for the most part. The nimble stuff is completely ignorable if you want, and the only enemies I've really found to be a pain are the Hexen (I'm fine with the Schrat requiring a rather specific strat). The Alps, Spiders and Unholds are all fun to fight in their own ways.

Haven't fought the Kraken yet, so can't comment on how balanced that one is.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wafflecopper posted:

So I would have bought the expansion day 1, but didn't have internet at home for a few days. Since then I've read a bit here about the new enemies not being well balanced, plus the whole nimble thing. Is it worth picking up now or should I wait for more patches?

The annoying enemy types are the easiest to avoid in the entire game, being rare on the world map and only in contracts that heavily telegraph their presence. The nimble balancing is silly but it's always in the player's favor outside of mercenaries and sergeants, and not so overpowered as to trivialize anything (outside of the economy because it absolutely fucks up how the economy interacts with heavy armor and resource costs).

Even if you don't avoid them, the whining about Hexens and Schrats is overblown if you look at the steam forums or some poo poo. You can reliably take on like 4 schrats using a single dedicated axe bro, and hexens are a bitch early on but there are a ton of different strategies to deal with them. Alps are as annoying as people say they are, though. The biggest flaw is honestly a lot of the new writing -- hooboy if you thought the near complete absence of women was questionable gender politics, they got real and bizarre misogyny now whenever Hexens are mentioned in a written event. Outside of the Hexen stuff specifically, a lot of the new writing is just annoyingly purple and has about 4x as many words as it should for the information it's conveying.

Overall, if you like Battle Bros, it's more great Battle Bros content and the arguably bad stuff is almost entirely avoidable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Count Uvula posted:

Even if you don't avoid them, the whining about Hexens and Schrats is overblown if you look at the steam forums or some poo poo. You can reliably take on like 4 schrats using a single dedicated axe bro, and hexens are a bitch early on but there are a ton of different strategies to deal with them. Alps are as annoying as people say they are, though. The biggest flaw is honestly a lot of the new writing -- hooboy if you thought the near complete absence of women was questionable gender politics, they got real and bizarre misogyny now whenever Hexens are mentioned in a written event. Outside of the Hexen stuff specifically, a lot of the new writing is just annoyingly purple and has about 4x as many words as it should for the information it's conveying.

As with most creative endeavours, but especially video games, people need editors.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Count Uvula posted:

You can reliably take on like 4 schrats using a single dedicated axe bro, and hexens are a bitch early on but there are a ton of different strategies to deal with them.

I'd like to hear more about this, since there seems to be something I'm missing in dealing with them. In my experience, schrats have enough hp that it'll take a fair while to take them down even after breaking their shields. Meanwhile, they can take off like half the hp of even my heavier armour guys, meaning they have a pretty high chance of killing someone off if there's more than a couple of them. What strategy am I missing here, beyond "don't get hit"?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I mean aside from abusing the obvious Dodge/nimble insanity (just took on six schrats earlier today) I'd say give your guys footwork so if they take a hit you just pull them out. All it takes is one guy (or wardog) to effectively distract a schrat while your horribly maimed dude books it.

But yeah for tactics just focus fire one to two at a time, dagger party style but with axes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Picked up DLC and am back into this game :toot:

What's this about Nimble being buffed into obscenity? Also new low-tier 2handers are neat as gently caress.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Covski posted:

I'd like to hear more about this, since there seems to be something I'm missing in dealing with them. In my experience, schrats have enough hp that it'll take a fair while to take them down even after breaking their shields. Meanwhile, they can take off like half the hp of even my heavier armour guys, meaning they have a pretty high chance of killing someone off if there's more than a couple of them. What strategy am I missing here, beyond "don't get hit"?

Distract all but one schrat with tanks-- you want nimble/dodge dudes or folks with indomitable (or both), and either way they should have a shield equipped. You can easily avoid polearm users getting hit by putting them in tiles that are in cardinal directions from the schrat, which just leaves your close-range boys. The absolute ideal scenario is 5 dudes with two handers and 1 dude with taunt and high mdef, but all you really need is good enough damage that you can move on to the next schrat before any of your distractions die. Without taunt or if your tank there gets real hosed up, footwork will help your dudes escape with their lives.

I don't know the break points for being able to break the schrat shields efficiently, but dudes with axe mastery can definitely break the shield in one turn if they have the military axes or 2-hander axes.

Gridlocked posted:

What's this about Nimble being buffed into obscenity?

Nimble is completely different now and just gives flat damage reduction, based solely on armor fatigue penalty and ignoring shield/weapon weight. The damage resistance is 75% at 0 fatigue penalty, which while extremely strong isn't super overpowered as just a survivability bonus, but this has the additional effects of making it so you use almost no tools to repair that character's armor because it takes like 2-3 tools to repair and you only ever get injuries from enemies that hit super hard. So you pay less gold on medicine because there's less injuries, and you pay way way less gold on tools because it costs like 25 gold average to repair their armor compared to 200+ gold for a suit of heavy armor.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I'm having fun messing around with the new weapons and stuff. I will start a serious campaign in a few weeks after they do a few balance patches.

Nimble is just stupid now, and some of the defenses of its broken-ness on the Steam forums are pretty hilarious. "Well if you do the math, a brawny/battleforged brother with heavy armor is better than nimble." *Ignores the fact that they are comparing a nimble guy that is basically naked against armor that is an incredibly rare legendary drop or costs 10k+ gold plus lots of tool upkeep*

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

grrarg posted:

I'm having fun messing around with the new weapons and stuff. I will start a serious campaign in a few weeks after they do a few balance patches.

Nimble is just stupid now, and some of the defenses of its broken-ness on the Steam forums are pretty hilarious. "Well if you do the math, a brawny/battleforged brother with heavy armor is better than nimble." *Ignores the fact that they are comparing a nimble guy that is basically naked against armor that is an incredibly rare legendary drop or costs 10k+ gold plus lots of tool upkeep*

They also ignore that you die if you run out of HP and that armor ignoring damage is a thing. There's enemies that can kill you while your armor is still in decent or good condition, particular a bunch added with this DLC. All the armor in the world doesn't help you against Alps/Hexes and Schratts/Unholds are real good at hitting your health directly

They also ignore the fatigue/initiative tax you have to pay for heavy armor. If you go Nimble, all your other stats are higher because you don't have to pump fatigue as much and you get the full benefit of your initiative instead of having a massive penalty to it.

The more I play, the more I dislike the new Nimble. It's overpowered, doesn't make any sense and lets you completely bypass mechanics that added complexity and interest to the game

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Nimble builds also don't really have to spread their skills out into fatigue.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, does new Nimble seriously not take your weapon or shield into account?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Nope. I expect they'll change it, although I don't know how it got through even the most basic testing.

I'm not going to use Nimble until its fixed, except maybe late game on a hedge knight or some high end background guy I end up getting eventually. Dogs continue to be a huge boon against the new monsters, although I haven't found any schrats yet. Unholds waste their time throwing a dog around while my guys poke the Unhold to death. Also cleavers work really well against them.

Dogs against hexe are a bit more iffy, but if you can get to the hexe I just rotate the dog out if one of my units is hexed. Even if the dog ends up getting a few hits in, they aren't damaging enough to seriously hurt any hexed unit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is the heavy dog armor actually useful or can I waste all my Unhold hides on larger quivers?

Also, is the Bone armor addition that makes you immune to the first hit every combat worth it? Seems like it could be pretty good for lategame stuff that hits hard.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Night10194 posted:

Wait, does new Nimble seriously not take your weapon or shield into account?

If I had to guess, they will fix this issue by changing this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seems like weidergangers have battleforged now, that's an interesting change.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Seems like weidergangers have battleforged now, that's an interesting change.
iirc they gave it to all the non ghost undeads, or maybe i'm just forgetting ancient auxes always had it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goddamn, caravan missions are super lucrative now.

actual money recieved

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wow that sounds great, before I would only take them after doublechecking the map to see if I wanted a 'free' trip.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well they should be lucrative, Caravan missions are the biggest 'welp, taking a massive dice roll on a forced fight I can't possibly win' mission type.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

actual money recieved

Nice! I really need to buy this DLC and get back into the game. (Especially as I've been reading through the Black Company series, lately)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Also, is the Bone armor addition that makes you immune to the first hit every combat worth it? Seems like it could be pretty good for lategame stuff that hits hard.

I really like throwing it on my two hander bros to help soak a stray crossbow bolt or something nasty before they can wade into melee.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Is the heavy dog armor actually useful or can I waste all my Unhold hides on larger quivers?

it's probably better than the +durability stuff late game, because it'll probably block at least 30 damage or whatever if you're getting hit by something hard enough to care

maybe worse than the -20% fatigue? that's pretty good for slapping the absolute heaviest armor possible on everyone

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Roobanguy posted:

actual money recieved

Oh neat, looks like it uses some form of exponential reward curve now? My world map's road is 8 shaped so almost no caravan path is more than 2 days away, and the highest reward I've been offered is only like 800 gold + 17 per head. A nice consolation prize for getting a lovely map seed, if so.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Were trained falcons added by the DLC or have I just never seen one before now?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

They existed before, weren’t overly helpful, as I was told. Not heard if they were tweaked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

actual money recieved

Five days?

Out of curiosity, what's your daily wage rate, so you can tell how much you actually made?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

They existed before, weren’t overly helpful, as I was told. Not heard if they were tweaked.

they were always in there, as an uncommon trinket in fortifications

having exactly one is real fuckin' handy for woods maps, and i'll generally slap one on my archer regardless because it's not like +1 doggo or +resolve are exceptional on an archer for fights where I'm fielding him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I also used a trained falcon to great effect for the Black Monolith because being able to see the terrain all around you and know where the second group of enemies would be coming from was invaluable. I usually forgot to use it in other fights though.