Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

i think if someone itt legitimately did not like huge silk robes and ludicrous hats i would have to have a lie-down

silk production is an unacceptable abuse of silkworm labor and furthermore pentarchy haberdashers are inadequately compensated

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I mean, that second part is likely true, for all that I struggle with justifying money spent on ceremonial vestments that could be doing charitable works sometimes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, that second part is likely true, for all that I struggle with justifying money spent on ceremonial vestments that could be doing charitable works sometimes.

frankly, so is the first bit!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Save a single splurge on a gaming rig, the only money I've used in years are for magical ingredients, books and outdoors poo poo to pick more plants :getin:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

Oh there's surely worse.

There is, but bitching about the theological implications of a drawing is useless pious nitpicking with all that's going on in the world.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

To be honest, what I come away from that picture with, speaking as a Protestant who has no particular views about Mary, is Mary offering Eve a simple "it's going to be all right" moment.

We need more of that, whatever branch of the tree we're on.
it's not an icon and i wouldnt' venerate it, but as a piece of art you can CLEARLY see that what mary is gesturing toward is her Son. Jesus. So she is not being presented as a redeemer in her own right.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

What I find interesting is that, like I said, I like looking at images of Mary. When looking for pictures I found a lot of her looking very majestic, right down to the crown on her head.

I'm used to images of her as more...I dunno, humble? I don't know anything about clothes but I am sure you know what I mean. Her head bowed, wearing some sort of head covering.

The point is, very different impressions between the latter and the former. I like them both, though.
from an orthodox perspective, and probably from a catholic perspective as well until after giotto, images of saints or divine figures as deliberately humanizing is very Problematic. These are holy figures, and we do not present them as having passions like we do, and certainly not to catalyze passions in ourselves.

This is why icons of married couples or Sergius and Bacchus represent their relationship by painting them in the same room. Maybe gesturing toward each other if you want to get racy. I have read an iconographer getting STEAMED at an icon of the Conception of the Theotokos because there was a bed in the background. For her, this was appropriate:

and this was wrong:

It's why I had legit theological problems with that poem Mr Enderby posted, because it reduces the terrible majesty of Jesus, Our Lady, and the Passion to a human drama--"i don't want a mother to be scared her son will die." And even worse! It presents the desirable outcome as one in which Mary shouldn't have the supernatural knowledge she does have, because it'll damage her human feelings!

Good! (Our lady of czestojowa, one of my favorite Maries)

Still good! (Berlingherio, 1200s or something. Christ has a scroll because He is a teacher and that's how teachers were portrayed in Greece and Rome)

Getting there to not good but so far we are still ALLUDING to emotions rather than portraying them, there is probably still an Orthodox theological perspective behind there...(Simone Martini. Also 1200s or something)

Nope. Phenomenal art. I love Caravaggio as an artist and I love his life story. But the Orthodox would say this is not an icon.

Edit: I was just thinking about this, but you can make the argument that inasmuch as we have a theology of which visual art, music, architecture, and poetry is OK and which isn't, the Orthodox are in this way and probably only this way closer to people like the Primitive Baptists or the Mennonites than all other Western Christians.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 5, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

And the silk moths aren't adapted to survive on their own in nature any more, so you'd have to take care of exponential numbers of silk worms and moths with each generation.
i would take care of the moths, they're adorable

silk moths are the persian cats of bugs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

It's why I had legit theological problems with that poem Mr Enderby posted, because it reduces the terrible majesty of Jesus, Our Lady, and the Passion to a human drama--"i don't want a mother to be scared her son will die." And even worse! It presents the desirable outcome as one in which Mary shouldn't have the supernatural knowledge she does have, because it'll damage her human feelings!

I do not understand this, at all. Why is Mary being inhuman desirable? Shouldn't examples and exemplars be human, above all else? So we can relate to them, sympathize with them, and learn from them? Even if you believe in saints, shouldn't their humanity be emphasized?

Even Jesus by definition understood and related to our human struggles and failings, the one perfect design of mankind walking among us.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 19, 2019

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
Re: the twitter post, what he takes issue with is Mary being the one stomping the snake, not depicting her as pregnant or with Eve.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Re: the twitter post, what he takes issue with is Mary being the one stomping the snake, not depicting her as pregnant or with Eve.
that part is literally in the bible. "she will crush your head, you will bite her heel"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

Silk worms are very cute (and tasty) but they lay 500 eggs at once so you'd be dealing with millions of moths pretty quickly.

http://www.wormspit.com/peacesilk.htm

i love my fat incompetent fluffy moth son/s

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

that part is literally in the bible. "she will crush your head, you will bite her heel"

"She will crush your head" in Gen 3:15 is a mistranslation by Jerome. Most translations done in the past 500 years will render the pronoun as "It" or "He." The one doing the crushing is a reference to the seed of the woman, not the woman herself.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

Edit: I was just thinking about this, but you can make the argument that inasmuch as we have a theology of which visual art, music, architecture, and poetry is OK and which isn't, the Orthodox are in this way and probably only this way closer to people like the Primitive Baptists or the Mennonites than all other Western Christians.

Yeah, I could certainly buy this, though it is a way in which I am not a very good Mennonite and would probably be a worse Orthodox.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

in the past 500 years
:thunk:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I could certainly buy this, though it is a way in which I am not a very good Mennonite and would probably be a worse Orthodox.
you can like whatever art/music/prayers you want, the theological part is what you can do in church or what art it's appropriate to venerate

i will never not love caravaggio because Big Dick Energy but it's not icons

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 5, 2018

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's because we're no longer translating from the vulgate rather than source texts. Even the New Jerusalem Bible and Catholic editions of the NRSV put it that way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

It's because we're no longer translating from the vulgate rather than source texts. Even the New Jerusalem Bible and Catholic editions of the NRSV put it that way.
i am aware of this, but you've got to understand that even the past thousand years are a little bit too new for us

we haven't had an original thought since 787 and we like it that way

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

i am aware of this, but you've got to understand that even the past thousand years are a little bit too new for us

we haven't had an original thought since 787 and we like it that way

Fair enough, I just follow too many WCT folks, who started dog-piling on the guy and posting anathemas from Trent about those rejecting the vulgate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

you can like whatever art/music/prayers you want, the theological part is what you can do in church or what art it's appropriate to venerate

i will never not love caravaggio because Big Dick Energy but it's not icons

And that's where the similarity you noted between Orthodox and Mennonites completely falls apart, because we don't have a concept of icons. Like, at all. (At least not officially. Life finds a way.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I did check the Septuagint translation, which of course is the one that matters for Orthodox, and it uses "αυτός," which appears to be masculine. Which made me realize I don't recall seeing any Orthodox icons where Mary steps on any snakes. Jesus does, when he's getting baptized. Ah well, we have other ways to show the Virgin Mary commands the respect of snakes.

Of course, the guy also seemed to be objecting to the possibility of Mary being empowered by Jesus before his birth, which made me think he needs a refresher on how eternity works.

Meanwhile, I found a guy in a different Twitter thread saying, in all seriousness, "Where is it written that Mary is in heaven?"

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd prefer to think more on this book I just bought:
The Mystical City ofGod. Has anybody here read it?

I have read bits of it and I do not trust it, or private revelations in general. There are moments when it freely contradicts the gospels in a very dripping sentimental sort of way.

The world of Catholic Traditionalists is filled with zealous followers of Mary of Agreda or Maria Valtorta and they hate each other. Read the gospels instead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Keromaru5 posted:

I did check the Septuagint translation, which of course is the one that matters for Orthodox, and it uses "αυτός," which appears to be masculine. Which made me realize I don't recall seeing any Orthodox icons where Mary steps on any snakes. Jesus does, when he's getting baptized. Ah well, we have other ways to show the Virgin Mary commands the respect of snakes.

Of course, the guy also seemed to be objecting to the possibility of Mary being empowered by Jesus before his birth, which made me think he needs a refresher on how eternity works.

Meanwhile, I found a guy in a different Twitter thread saying, in all seriousness, "Where is it written that Mary is in heaven?"

I mean, it is a pretty big assumption. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, it is a pretty big assumption. :v:

o no

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

And that's where the similarity you noted between Orthodox and Mennonites completely falls apart, because we don't have a concept of icons. Like, at all. (At least not officially. Life finds a way.)
yeah but both of us think art is theologically important, the catholics are all: "what looks cool or sounds cool" and most other western christians are all "what looks cool BUT NOT TOO CATHOLIC, gently caress YOU DAD"

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I do not understand this, at all. Why is Mary being inhuman desirable? Shouldn't examples and exemplars be human, above all else? So we can relate to them, sympathize with them, and learn from them? Even if you believe in saints, shouldn't their humanity be emphasized?

Even Jesus by definition understood and related to our human struggles and failings, the one perfect design of mankind walking among us.

Mary isn't inhuman and shouldn't be described as inhuman, but at the same time, her story can't be reduced to an ordinary human drama: there's supernatural aspects about it from the very beginning. Catholics (and, I think, the Orthodox?) believe that her marriage to Joseph was arranged so that she would have a protector while remaining a sworn virgin. This is not inhuman or unnatural; ordinary people have had "Josephite marriages" too; but it makes the drama about her pregnancy different, not a usual "man discovers fiancee pregnant" situation. Women have had their only children executed for offending the government, and grieved for them, but Mary's son's execution was different from theirs, and wishing that she might be unaware of the doom ahead of her is to wish that she wasn't really a participant in his life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zonohedron posted:

Mary isn't inhuman and shouldn't be described as inhuman, but at the same time, her story can't be reduced to an ordinary human drama: there's supernatural aspects about it from the very beginning. Catholics (and, I think, the Orthodox?) believe that her marriage to Joseph was arranged so that she would have a protector while remaining a sworn virgin. This is not inhuman or unnatural; ordinary people have had "Josephite marriages" too; but it makes the drama about her pregnancy different, not a usual "man discovers fiancee pregnant" situation. Women have had their only children executed for offending the government, and grieved for them, but Mary's son's execution was different from theirs, and wishing that she might be unaware of the doom ahead of her is to wish that she wasn't really a participant in his life.

I think it absolutely can be reduced to an ordinary human drama, and depending on the audience, should be. The execution of Mary's son was no different from any other's, in my opinion, that's part of the point - Jesus was executed alongside other common criminals, because in the eyes of earthly authorities, that's exactly what he was and merely more delusional than most.

I think Mary did have regrets, and doubts, and fears. She wouldn't have been human if she didn't. It's what she did despite her sins and human failings that made her special.

And, personally, I doubt Mary was a virgin all her life. Before Jesus' birth, certainly, but not all her life after that.

https://i.imgur.com/dYTeZFZ.gifv

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

"She will crush your head" in Gen 3:15 is a mistranslation by Jerome. Most translations done in the past 500 years will render the pronoun as "It" or "He." The one doing the crushing is a reference to the seed of the woman, not the woman herself.

Well Mary was the seed of Eve, so that still works.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest, it's the word "reduced" I most object to, there.

The story of Mary, like the story of Jesus, IS the story of humanity, and it's not a reduction, or denial, of the supernatural aspects to focus on the humanity of that story.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah but both of us think art is theologically important, the catholics are all: "what looks cool or sounds cool" and most other western christians are all "what looks cool BUT NOT TOO CATHOLIC, gently caress YOU DAD"

Yeah, I'm with you here (though I suspect many Mennonites, especially older ones, would be surprised to hear that they think art is theologically important; it's true, tho)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I'm with you here (though I suspect many Mennonites, especially older ones, would be surprised to hear that they think art is theologically important; it's true, tho)
if you think art is important enough to object to it, you Care

see also the amish, the quakers, all those little protestant groups with acapella singing only

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

if you think art is important enough to object to it, you Care

see also the amish, the quakers, all those little protestant groups with acapella singing only

Oh, I 100% agree. I'm just picturing my grandpa reacting to that statement.

(Mennonites are traditionally in the acapella singing only group, though that's gone from "mandate" to "theoretically beloved tradition that we don't really practice" over the years.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Worthleast posted:

I have read bits of it and I do not trust it, or private revelations in general. There are moments when it freely contradicts the gospels in a very dripping sentimental sort of way.

The world of Catholic Traditionalists is filled with zealous followers of Mary of Agreda or Maria Valtorta and they hate each other. Read the gospels instead.

Hm, thanks for the information. I still definitely intend to read The Bible, don't worry. I'm just a guy who is constantly eager to learn stuff and there is so, so, SO much to learn about Christianity.

Truth be told some of my current religious interest was sparked by my philosophy interest in Aristotle and then Aquinas. I know that isn't teh correct basis for being a Christian though so I'm gonna read The Bible when I have the time and corret mindset. I like to learn but I also have a horrible time focusing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NikkolasKing posted:

teh correct basis for being a Christian

????

???

!

Nah I know what you mean but seriously, stop talking about how you don't know enough to be a Christian and all that kind of thing. If you love the good and you want to grow closer to God, that's a fine basis. IMO.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm, thanks for the information. I still definitely intend to read The Bible, don't worry. I'm just a guy who is constantly eager to learn stuff and there is so, so, SO much to learn about Christianity.

Truth be told some of my current religious interest was sparked by my philosophy interest in Aristotle and then Aquinas. I know that isn't teh correct basis for being a Christian though so I'm gonna read The Bible when I have the time and corret mindset. I like to learn but I also have a horrible time focusing.

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.”

All Truth leads to the one who is Truth. Many have found God through other means first. Want to know the most intelligent man ever (Jesus) and the one who is truth itself (the Father)?

I can hardly read my Bible or listen to teaching b/c mental issues. God still provides the church and my Christian family (the Spirit).

Sorry if I’m talking at you. The whole point is the doors got flung way open and they bought all the tickets already so :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good Lord am I already sick to death of Christmas carols. Was out running errands today and had my lovely choice of what to have blaring in my ears: OH CHRISTMAS TREE OH CHRISTMAS TREE, JINGLE BELL JINGLE BELL JINGLE BELL ROCK, CHESTNUTS ROASTING OVER AN OPEN FIRE.

Christmas as anything but a private family holiday was a mistake.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Good Lord am I already sick to death of Christmas carols. Was out running errands today and had my lovely choice of what to have blaring in my ears: OH CHRISTMAS TREE OH CHRISTMAS TREE, JINGLE BELL JINGLE BELL JINGLE BELL ROCK, CHESTNUTS ROASTING OVER AN OPEN FIRE.

Christmas as anything but a private family holiday was a mistake.

Carols are fine so long as Jesus is somewhere in the lyrics. Everything else is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Carols are fine so long as Jesus is somewhere in the lyrics. Everything else is trash.

<Sadly hums Good King Wenceslas to himself while trying not to cry>