Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Weren't people concerned that open world games were going to start putting real ads on in-game billboards? Has anything like that started happening yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah, cloud-based ads have shown up in games a couple times. Or devs patching in ads for other things from the same publisher. Can't remember specific instances but I've seen it only recently.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know about current videogames but planetside 1 famously put real world ads on in game billboards back in the early-mid oughts for great products such as deuce bigalow male gigolo so it's been around longer than you think

edit:

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fun Times! posted:

Weren't people concerned that open world games were going to start putting real ads on in-game billboards? Has anything like that started happening yet?
https://i.imgur.com/kS7oB3v.gifv

Look up product placement in FFXV.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

Honestly that is really the best bet. Just find a streamer that kind of has similar taste as you/likes the same genre and then just listen to their reviews. I personally love the GameTrailers/EasyAllies guys so their my go to for most big games reviews. I then try First Five/Boomstick gaming for a more casual look at some lesser know or indie games.

Switching user reviews for twitch streaming seems like a parallel move at best :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Games have had real world ads since I’ve been playing games. Sometimes the game itself is just an ad.

Y’all really gonna forget Yo Noid! huh?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Kibayasu posted:

Switching user reviews for twitch streaming seems like a parallel move at best :v:

Streaming was the wrong word to use (through they do stream). All the ones I listed just do reviews as video format so you can see what works/doesn't work/gameplay in action. But the idea is the same: Either as written or video format (I think video works better) just find some one that has similar taste to you and try to follow them.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 6, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Chex game on Doom Engine

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
They sell the data collected from your system while playing nowadays instead of direct ads. I am pretty sure there was some spyware thingy a couple of months back where a bunch of games got caught collecting data.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dad on the rag posted:

They sell the data collected from your system while playing nowadays instead of direct ads. I am pretty sure there was some spyware thingy a couple of months back where a bunch of games got caught collecting data.

Including poo poo like the Total War series and the devs gave a really lame excuse about updated EULAs and “enhancing service” with big data

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Soul Glo posted:

Games have had real world ads since I’ve been playing games. Sometimes the game itself is just an ad.

I wish I did.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

BF 2142 already did this... 12 years ago jesus loving christ stop time I want to get off.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
In-game billboard ads is still better than full screen popup forcing you to sit and watch for 30 seconds.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orv posted:

BF 2142 already did this... 12 years ago jesus loving christ stop time I want to get off.

time will stop when you die. Don't try to stop time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have put an ad in then, if its that infuriating

I guess but of the 9 launchers I have for games they all have ads for other games in them so it doesn’t seem like a huge deal

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, Fanatical has a pretty ace bundle going if you don't own all the games yet.

5 bucks for:

Styx: Shards of Darkness
The Age of Decadence
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition
The King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
Oxenfree
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Metal Slug X

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Wasn't there a desk megathread somewhere at some point? I need a new one and I searched through all of Ask/Tell and the first 10 pages or so of SHSC for "desk" and didn't find it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Palpek posted:

https://i.imgur.com/kS7oB3v.gifv

I always found it amusing that gas stations in FFXV took American Express.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Soul Glo posted:

This .
Or did you think your Saturday morning cartoons weren't specifically made to get you to buy toys as well?

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 6, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a demo now!

It's personally my favorite entry in the reboot trilogy because it doubled down on the tomb raiding aspect and dialed back the combat buuuut... it does have a really iffy open world hub that's a bit of a slog and the boss battles are probably the worst in the franchise.

I still wholly recommend it just because it's the tomb raidiest Tomb Raider game and the puzzles it has actually had me stumped for a good while!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/06/prey-multiplayer-and-vr-free-next-week/

Prey's multiplayer mode is finally coming out, and a VR mode.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Palpek posted:

Several Splatfests in Splatoon 1 and 2 have been about real world products

Overall the whole thing has been whole lot less of an issue than it seemed back then.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Odd that's its basically eVolve but possibly not poo poo, but whatever I guess?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kanfy posted:

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, Fanatical has a pretty ace bundle going if you don't own all the games yet.

5 bucks for:

Styx: Shards of Darkness
The Age of Decadence
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Star Wars The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition
The King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
Oxenfree
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Metal Slug X

Good bundle. Age of decadence is some Gonzo hardcore crpg poo poo and Styx 2 is fun

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

owl_pellet posted:

Wasn't there a desk megathread somewhere at some point? I need a new one and I searched through all of Ask/Tell and the first 10 pages or so of SHSC for "desk" and didn't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Who the gently caress was asking for Prey multiplayer of all things? Especially long after the game has been out. What a waste of manpower instead of another DLC or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Probably a test run for Arkane's next project which is going to be MP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It was planned to be a post release addition to mooncrash from the start

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

nooooooooooooo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Boo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Dishonored 76

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

exquisite tea posted:

cursed monkey paw. i knew i shouldn't have wished for arkane to keep making games!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Immersive sims are some of the best games and yet they never sell. :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Don't even joke about that

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guys, I know we've had a reasonable success developing immersive sims for years but listen to this - what if we bet everything on a multiplayer-only battle royale card game mmm? *eyes literally turn into dollar symbols like in a cartoon*

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Palpek posted:

Guys, I know we've had a reasonable success developing immersive sims for years but listen to this - what if we bet everything on a multiplayer-only battle royale card game mmm? *eyes literally turn into dollar symbols like in a cartoon*

This is pretty much what Housemarque are trying to do w/ their next game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pepsi maaaaaaaan!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Palpek posted:

I'm not terribly familiar with the layout of the Prey ship. Could a BR work in there? Plop in 50 or so dudes with randomized loot spawns and go to town? Imagine the fights that would take place outside the station

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Terminally Bored posted:

This is pretty much what Housemarque are trying to do w/ their next game.

Who?

*looks them up*

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
You guys jest but...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/690510/Black_Survival/

That's basically that and as far as I know it was massively succesful on mobile.