Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

wargames posted:

Just remember its about 150 resume sent per 1 interveiw in todays market, so don't get too discouraged in your search.

That's reassuring because I got 4 interviews total, and a bunch of call backs.

0 offers, of course, otherwise I'd be out of here. Looks like my certs are good enough to get me phone screenings but my experience just isn't where it needs to be.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Proteus Jones posted:

:same:

If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. If they don't, oh well.

The only reason I answer anyone is that I hate voicemail even more than answering the phone.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress the number of times I've asked for the email to be sent only to have it forwarded a dozen times...
gently caress the number of times I've had to teach the same person how to attach an email....
gently caress the same people who do it every goddamn time and why the gently caress are they the only ones who get and report phishing attempts?

https://www.knowbe4.com/phish-alert

This works even with the free version, I believe.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Entropic posted:

The only reason I answer anyone is that I hate voicemail even more than answering the phone.

My personal outgoing message is pretty much "I don't play phone tag, text me or don't" and unless google's auto-transcription tells me it's interesting it gets deleted unheard.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

If a number that calls me isn't in my contacts, I don't answer.

Proteus Jones posted:

This is how I live now. feels good man

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Anyone log all their SIP router messages to a log server or appliance for record keeping?

Too often when a problem happens its a bitch to try and retest and trace things and hope it happens again when just having the messages when the problem happened in the first place would do wonders.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Got a call to give this user a history of 1 year of all the faxes that have come in on a specific physical fax machine.

Yeah right.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Got a call to give this user a history of 1 year of all the faxes that have come in on a specific physical fax machine.

Yeah right.
The fax machine can almost certainly print them a log, but it probably won't go back a year.

Law firm I used to work for printed them daily.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Yeah right.

I don't know you'll get a year out of that log, but you might. Hell you might get more than that and god help them in that case. As long as parsing that is not your problem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They've been dragging their feet on migrating customers from fax to email. Being slow as poo poo on this will help our case.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’ve stopped being surprised at how many offices live or die by their fax machine in TYOOL 2018. Especially medical clinics and law firms.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Entropic posted:

I’ve stopped being surprised at how many offices live or die by their fax machine in TYOOL 2018. Especially medical clinics and law firms.

We have a LOT of clients that insist on using their fax machines on our SIP services. gently caress analog adapters, gently caress fax machines, gently caress these people. Buy a POTS line if you're that dependent on lovely technology. We also have people that try to send efaxes to other efax numbers. Just send a goddamn e-mail at that point.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sirotan posted:

https://www.knowbe4.com/phish-alert

This works even with the free version, I believe.

I've been trying to make the case for KnoeBe4 for quite some time now, but to no avail.

mythicknight posted:

Anyone log all their SIP router messages to a log server or appliance for record keeping?

Too often when a problem happens its a bitch to try and retest and trace things and hope it happens again when just having the messages when the problem happened in the first place would do wonders.

yup.
/var/log/asterisk/sip<date>.log
...well sometimes. we weren't doing it at all. then we were asked why not? then some poo poo broke (unrelated) then we were told to turn it off because ~obviously~ it was too much for the system to handle. Then some poo poo happened and we were asked why we weren't logging... rinse, repeat.

e: alternatively /admin/config.php?display=logfiles in the freepbx admin page.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 5, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kaethela posted:

We have a LOT of clients that insist on using their fax machines on our SIP services. gently caress analog adapters, gently caress fax machines, gently caress these people. Buy a POTS line if you're that dependent on lovely technology. We also have people that try to send efaxes to other efax numbers. Just send a goddamn e-mail at that point.

Yyyup. FAX and SIP is a match made in hell.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

In my industry, many of the big players are technologically backwards and still prefer or even require faxes. Also many local/state government agencies don't do email, fax only. (at least in Indiana!) And we deal with them a lot.

One of our vendors requires all orders faxed in, and this includes any measurements/drawings/specs. They have a custom program that generates quotes. But to actually order the product, you have to fax the quote to them along with any other notes you may have on the job.

Because of this every one of our store locations still has a dedicated fax line hooked up to a MFP or even a standalone fax machine at some of the older locations. In our environment, its just easier this way.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

One the most important lessons my father ever imparted to me was refusing to let anyone answer the phone or the door during meal times. Over the years we missed exactly 0 important messages.

We didn't have an answering machine in those days either.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

One the most important lessons my father ever imparted to me was refusing to let anyone answer the phone or the door during meal times. Over the years we missed exactly 0 important messages.

We didn't have an answering machine in those days either.

This is a good lesson, shame it seems to have gone out the window for a lot of people.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in.

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.
Well it's not a phishing scam. It's just a terrible email.

e: and as punishment for pointing out the fact that he was wrong I am now being told to investigate "how they could have their company email to sign up with ShareFile"

double edit: case closed

This was so annoying. Two days prior to this email I onboarded like 30 new ShareFile users, and now they think ShareFile is annoying crap because of this instead of the legitimately good tool that it is. Our KnowBe4 training has apparently been going well though because a lot of people reported these messages as phishing to the point that our IT Security came over to verify with me that it was legit because they got so many flags.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

mythicknight posted:

For quite a while I was sending all the logs from our SBCs to a central Graylog server. It was never useful, so I just stopped bothering.

Now I call my SIP provider and bitch at them any time there's a call problem on their end, which is rare enough that I just don't care.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Hey! Someone sent us a random video file with subject or body in the e-mail! I gotta take a look at this!"

I hope you get loving cryptoed.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A ticket came in, complaining about horrible screeching noises coming from their headset. With video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlBo3SJU3E

This allegedly happens even with other headsets. Pretty sure their computer is possessed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By the ghost of tiny Godzilla it appears...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Love it when someone writes in to "respectfully" tell me how to do my job and how it should be "simple" to implement his changes, changes to a system we've spent 4 years tuning to the needs of 80 million people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

I'm also horribly jaded and burnt out beyond repair

:unsmith::hf::smith:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have no idea why anyone would use Sharefile instead of Box. Our Legal team practically RAN to migrate their data when we switched.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Love it when someone writes in to "respectfully" tell me how to do my job and how it should be "simple" to implement his changes, changes to a system we've spent 4 years tuning to the needs of 80 million people.

These people are the worst. "Just do this! It's that simple!!"

It's almost never that simple, and also, :fuckoff:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

DizzyBum posted:

These people are the worst. "Just do this! It's that simple!!"

It's almost never that simple, and also, :fuckoff:

Does this happen in other lines of work? 'What do you mean, "load-bearing"? Don't use jargon with me. It's just bricks and mortar; just get it done!'

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wachter posted:

Does this happen in other lines of work? 'What do you mean, "load-bearing"? Don't use jargon with me. It's just bricks and mortar; just get it done!'

Friend of mine is a professional carpenter, and yes he gets that poo poo all the time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wachter posted:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wachter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

:grovertoot:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Is this a failed deck build?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
it's a failed house build

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I knew what this was before I clicked it and I already feel ill

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Is this a failed deck build?

My friend, you must find the adventure of groverhaus, I honestly don't remember it super well but it's an amalgamation of being cheap, stupid and a massive failure. I think part of it involves a pool in the basement.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MF_James posted:

My friend, you must find the adventure of groverhaus, I honestly don't remember it super well but it's an amalgamation of being cheap, stupid and a massive failure. I think part of it involves a pool in the basement.

I'm on it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/891475977183739905

This twitter thread should fill you in nicely. There's an imgur album in there somewhere, and I highly recommend looking through it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Crappy Construction Tales is a good thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Insulated stairs and load-bearing drywall!