Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

What does the resume of a "qualified" President look like, exactly?

Based on 2016, it seems to be "runs a campaign that relentlessly hammers how ephemerally nonspecifically qualified they are"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Here's the newest Trump crony.

https://twitter.com/DevlinBarrett/status/1070738468513476610?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Even if you don’t think AOC is qualified to be president right now she’ll almost certainly be qualified by the time she’s constitutionally eligible.

^ I retract my objection and I was wrong then.

it's a shame that she'll have to step down from Chuck Schumer's seat after successfully primarying him in 2022

Your Taint posted:

Here's the newest Trump crony.

it's going to take like two weeks before Trump is furious at this guy for not being his crony and instead just picking up Sessions' aggressive conservative activist poo poo where he left off

this seems extremely like a compromise pick foisted on him by Senators - and, worse, if Whitaker can't stop the Mueller probe there's no way this guy does

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Maybe if she keeps getting elected! 6 years in the House is a real good start.

I mean as far as I’m concerned the optimal path to the presidency for AOC is two terms in the House - primary Schumer or Cuomo or stay in the House - President.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Being an intern in a Congressional office and having a B.A. in Economics and IR does not qualify you to be President of the United States.

This isn't, "who's a better President, Trump or AOC?" It's, "is AOC qualified to be President?"

Maybe it's time to interrogate what your "qualifications" for a good presidential candidate are. I mean, shouldn't we include a sense of human morality as a qualifier, something sorely lacking from basically every president I've had in my lifetime? Or is time served in a corrupting, vile institution more important to you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I used to think freeing the slaves and saving the Union were good policies, but I've just been informed that Lincoln only had 2 years of experience in the House, so now I guess we have to break up the country and go back to owning people because how could he possibly have any good ideas

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Maybe if she keeps getting elected! 6 years in the House is a real good start.

See I wholly agree here. She's not going to be eligible to run anyhow for a bit, But she's the first democrat I've seen in a while who have their heart and mind in the right place.
Also I would vote for her in 2020 if possible. :colbert:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean as far as I’m concerned the optimal path to the presidency for AOC is two terms in the House - primary Schumer or Cuomo or stay in the House - President.

She could do all that and retire from politics before hitting 50. drat.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I generally think the age requirements are a good idea but figuring that we are barreling towards annihilation and our entire geriatric ruling class has gotten us into this position and they still give no shits about anyone without a 7 digit net worth maybe electing young people with a strong ideology is the way to go here

At least they have the will to get something done rather than the ruling classes will to do nothing while looting the country

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

eke out posted:

it's a shame that she'll have to step down from Chuck Schumer's seat after successfully primarying him in 2022

it's going to take like two weeks before Trump is furious at this guy for not being his crony and instead just picking up Sessions' aggressive conservative activist poo poo where he left off

this seems extremely like a compromise pick foisted on him by Senators - and, worse, if Whitaker can't stop the Mueller probe there's no way this guy does

I would be very wary of AOC in the primary in 2024 after just taking a senate seat. Of course this only applies if she's trying to primary a Democratic President then.

If Trump gets term #2 then it will be all about how well she does in The Death Dome to see if she's capable of leading the ravaging horde or not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

reagan and bush both had experience being governors but they were still empty-headed rich clowns when they ran for president.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishing with the fam posted:

She could do all that and retire from politics before hitting 50. drat.

Unlike Boomers and Gen Xers, Millennials are good. :smug:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sweet, are you proposing to make AOC the President of the United States, right this instant? I love her, but so far her experience consists of political activism and waitressing. She'll make a fine freshman House member, but you are loving crazy if you want someone with that resume to be your President.

This is some classist weak poo poo man

Some of the more revolutionary leaders of the world have been young and come from humble origins.

"How dare a person in food service try to rise above their station!"

I'm not saying make her President right now, but to disqualify her soley because of her age and former occupation, when most old fucks in Congress don't know how the internet loving works, is pretty weak.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

reagan and bush both had experience being governors but they were still empty-headed rich clowns when they ran for president.

Well at least they weren't waitresses :agesilaus:

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Huh, so this dude would replace Whittaker? He seems like a Shithead Republican but not a Trumpist, so it'll be about a week before Trump is blasting him on Twitter.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Unlike Boomers and Gen Xers, Millennials are good. :smug:

Hey, speak for yourself!

wait, what?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TulliusCicero posted:

This is some classist weak poo poo man

Some of the more revolutionary leaders of the world have been young and come from humble origins.

"How dare a person in food service try to rise above their station!"

I'm not saying make her President right now, but to disqualify her soley because of her age and former occupation, when most old fucks in Congress don't know how the internet loving works, is pretty weak.

I feel like Skex and Kotex are currently in a contest to be the thread's new get-off-my-lawn guy since Vladimir Putin hasn't reregged

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I ascribe that guy to a group effort to have someone in Trump's vicinity saying "Let's nominate William Barr" as often as possible until the President parrots it, then everyone takes it as an order and rushes to make it happen before he says something else.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

Maybe it's time to interrogate what your "qualifications" for a good presidential candidate are. I mean, shouldn't we include a sense of human morality as a qualifier, something sorely lacking from basically every president I've had in my lifetime? Or is time served in a corrupting, vile institution more important to you?
Hmm, perhaps it's some combination of having the right morals, institutional knowledge, preexisting legislative relationships, executive experience, management, negotiation, and relationship building skills? Nah gently caress it, let's hand the nuclear codes and the Situation Room chair to whomever puts out the wokest tweets.

VitalSigns posted:

I used to think freeing the slaves and saving the Union were good policies, but I've just been informed that Lincoln only had 2 years of experience in the House, so now I guess we have to break up the country and go back to owning people because how could he possibly have any good ideas
Turns out, the office of the Presidency is a lot different than it was in the early 1860s, also Lincoln's political resume was just a liiiiittle bit longer than "intern and waitress", look it up sometime.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

They hate all celebrities unless it's one of the rare ones that embraces Republicanism. Like every musician should just shut up about leftist politics and sing/play guitar/whatever, but Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and sometimes Kanye West are all very wise.

Red Hot Chili Peppers vs. Trump administration

Directed by Michael Bay

:rock:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 6, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm not saying make her President right now,
Great, that's what's under discussion, cool that we agree, now get off my lawn.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Lightning Knight posted:

Even if you don’t think AOC is qualified to be president right now she’ll almost certainly be qualified by the time she’s constitutionally eligible.

^ I retract my objection and I was wrong then.

"if" :laugh: Not that qualifications seem to be necessary to win the election, mind you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Turns out, the office of the Presidency is a lot different than it was in the early 1860s, also Lincoln's political resume was just a liiiiittle bit longer than "intern and waitress", look it up sometime.

Ah we’re so close to the misogynist outburst, I can *feel* it.

^ I mean as far as I’m concerned AOC is more qualified to be president than any Democratic politician over the age of 50 except Barbara Lee.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hmm, perhaps it's some combination of having the right morals, institutional knowledge, preexisting legislative relationships, executive experience, management, negotiation, and relationship building skills? Nah gently caress it, let's hand the nuclear codes and the Situation Room chair to whomever puts out the wokest tweets.

No, dig up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jesus Christ, so much to unpack

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

and let's be honest: lincoln would've been a terrible server

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Kotex, have you ever worked food service, or any other public-facing job? It's basically a crash course in diplomacy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Why is it so hard to believe that I both really like AOC, am excited for her to be a House Rep, and don't think she's qualified to be President at this exact moment in time? Why does this make me a misogynist?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VitalSigns posted:

Why not.

The president's main effect is choosing good advisers and putting the right people in charge of executive departments, she would make better choices than probably the last 10 presidents did if not more.

Yes she is, next question.

what do you base this assessment of her on, beyond her telling you she is. what advisers has she hired so far that prove she can do that?

Lightning Knight posted:

^ I mean as far as I’m concerned AOC is more qualified to be president than any Democratic politician over the age of 50 except Barbara Lee.

this is ridiculous to assert

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Turns out, the office of the Presidency is a lot different than it was in the early 1860s,
Yeah dude being president of the USA in 1861 what a cakewalk compared to Trump's heroic challenges

also Lincoln's political resume was just a liiiiittle bit longer than "intern and waitress", look it up sometime.

So is hers, you're just infantilizing her for rhetorical purposes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the problem with all the institutional knowledge poo poo is most of it is bad.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Why is it so hard to believe that I both really like AOC, am excited for her to be a House Rep, and don't think she's qualified to be President at this exact moment in time? Why does this make me a misogynist?

You’re being really gross and dismissive about her background and insisting that she cannot possibly be in any way qualified to do a job that is primarily picking out good administrators and looking good for the camera, which she has already demonstrated she is killer at the latter half.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Dismissiveness, probably mostly. Have some faith in the new blood.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you don't want to make someone think you're a misogynist, you should stop going out of your way to use the gendered 'waitress' as a diminutive

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what do you base this assessment of her on, beyond her telling you she is. what advisers has she hired so far that prove she can do that?

She hasn't told me anything, I base my assessment that she would choose better advisers than most presidents on the clear moral vision and real-world experience she has that our ""experienced"" trust fund babies who appoint Wall Street crooks and robber barons lack.

She's not best buddies with Henry Kissinger, Tim Geithner, Richard Branson, or Steve Mnuchin that alone catapults her judgment above and beyond the last half dozen presidents.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lightning Knight posted:

You’re being really gross and dismissive about her background and insisting that she cannot possibly be in any way qualified to do a job that is primarily picking out good administrators and looking good for the camera, which she has already demonstrated she is killer at the latter half.

what does she know about picking good administrators? she is currently being surprised by the stupid loving ways new reps are onboarded.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Kotex, have you ever worked food service, or any other public-facing job? It's basically a crash course in diplomacy.

Let me tell you about running a commercial kitchen...

You think the front of the house is bad, wait till you get a racist in the line.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

eke out posted:

if you don't want to make someone think you're a misogynist, you should stop going out of your way to use the gendered 'waitress' as a diminutive

Waitress is bad now?

Man gently caress, I'm not even that old and I feel like wokeness has passed me by.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

How do you know she doesn't have the institutional knowledge? Or the other assumptive statements you're making based on her being, what, young? Also, what loving use are legislative relationships with people who got us to where we are now? Why do you keep bringing up that she's a waitress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what does she know about picking good administrators? she is currently being surprised by the stupid loving ways new reps are onboarded.

What if, and hear me out here, she’s surprised because as it turns out the way congress operates is really hosed up and we don’t usually get this kind of inside look at that. We should be shocked at the poo poo they do.