Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

omg chael crash posted:

I bought a 55in Sony x900F a few weeks back to use with my PS4 and I'm honestly not super happy with it. Turning on HDR just seems to wash everything out, and I can't find any settings or adjustments online that really makes my games stand out compared to the older 1080p computer monitor I was using before. Any recommendations? I was thinking of returning the set to Amazon and trying out a Samsung TV -- any advice?

I know having a regular PS4 isn't going to really take advantage of the 4k capability but I was at least hoping HDR would look well.

HDR on the Sony tvs (X900E and X900F) looks great. The thing is that you can't just "turn on" HDR on your PS4 and expect it to work for every game. Every single game developer has to implement HDR on their game manually. So some games will have HDR, and some games won't. Additionally, the quality of the HDR in each game depends on how well it was implemented by that game's developer (for example the big controversy over RDR2 having terrible fake poo poo HDR versus, like, AC Odyssey having amazing HDR).

Even if the HDR is implemented well on a game, you will often have to go inside the settings/options menu in that game and mess with the sliders they provide to get the look right.

Basically it's still a hassle to get working on games, but that has nothing to do with how well your TV does it. Also you should go into the PS4 settings and make sure it's even running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

MrBigglesworth posted:

I got the TCL Series 6 65R615 at BB last weekend. It was dead. Powered up, got a back light, no image. Returned it, got the same model at a different BB and it works fine. Really surprised it supports both HDR and Dolby Vision. Picture is insanely great. Coming from a 47inch LG from 2010, this is one hell of an upgrade.

Never look at a pure grey screen, friend!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not a Children posted:

My understanding is that the 4-series is the best-in-class value for low budget gaming TVs. In fact I think the 4-series has better input lag results in game mode. 5 has better contrast, and I think it can handle "real" HDR.

I got the 55" 4-series and am pretty happy with it. Might be worth noting that I had to return the first one I got because it had lint behind the screen.

Basically, the 4 series is a decent no frills 4k TV, but it is not a UHD TV. By that, I mean it really can't utilize Wide Color Gamut and HDR.

Essentially, it's a normal HDTV that can happen to show stuff at 4k, but it's missing out on most of what UHD has to offer. Its best use is for cable TV watching and SDR gaming.

The 5 series adds WCG and some limited HDR support, but it can't get all that bright for highlights. It's not that bad of a compromise to dip your toes into UHD though.

The 6 series is the full enchilada.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qbert posted:

AC Odyssey having amazing HDR
Some of the loading screens are pure white and actually hurt to look at when I sit close to the screen [x900F], it's awesome. Plus dim areas like the caves and underwater bits are miles better than before.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I picked up a TCL 43 inch 5 series from best buy yesterday but found out my setup is the wrong viewing distance for me to enjoy it. (Roughly 6.5-7 feet.) It seems like 55 inch would be the best choice for my home office/entertainment room.

So I'm going to use their exchange policy that lets me exchange tvs as much as I want until January 12th to pick up the TCL 6-series and try it out for a while. If I like the size I may drop down to a 5 series but I'd like to at least TRY the 6 series for a while to decide if the picture quality and creature comforts are worth it, since so many of you said it was a great value buy.

Also - any suggestions of speakers to get with my tv. There's some roku sound bars and roku speakers that seem possibly interesting.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 7, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm about 7 feet from my 65" and it's pretty perfect.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

7 feet = I am sitting at my PC desktop. 6.5 feet = I am sitting at my couch in the room. According to sites that suggest optimal viewing distance from tvs, 55 inch 4k should have me covered up to 6.9 feet away. 65 inch would be unwieldy for the room and overkill I think. 55 inch is probably my sweet spot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right, get the 55". You can always move it to your bedroom when you need the 65" instead :haw:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Like I said, I'm only approaching 7 feet when I'm at my PC desktop. Which means I will only be viewing tv from that distance when I'm loving around my PC also. Most of the time it will be at around 6.5 feet.

Anyway yeah, now to look into sound bars / speakers. Anyone have any any recommendations? Edit: I guess I should try the audio thread?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 7, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Spacedad posted:

Like I said, I'm only approaching 7 feet when I'm at my PC desktop. Which means I will only be viewing tv from that distance when I'm loving around my PC also. Most of the time it will be at around 6.5 feet.

Anyway yeah, now to look into sound bars / speakers. Anyone have any any recommendations? Edit: I guess I should try the audio thread?
Just gonna quote myself from earlier

pwn posted:

I’m very happy with my Kanto YU3 bookshelf speakers, and paired with a subwoofer, it’s a great value. There are newer versions of the speakers available, but I honestly don’t know what makes a YU6 almost twice as much as a YU3.
El Bromance answers the burning question: Why??

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can plug a non-line level turntable directly into the 6s, which you can't with the lower models. I just have a $30 behringer pre-amp between my turntable and my gear, personally. They also have a decently bigger sized woofer at 5.25" compared to 4".
As I have a sub and separate preamp for my TT, those aren’t concerns. But get a sub anyway.

One thing that is absolutely not a deciding factor but is nice, is the remote. It’s elegant, simple (but not stupidly so,) has a soft touch finish on the back, and I’m pretty sure they have a lead weight in there to give it substantial heft. It feels like the speakers sound: Nicer than it ought to be.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

pwn posted:

Just gonna quote myself from earlier

Edit: I see there's a lot of those available for 200 ish used. What's the subwoofer you paired it with.

Also - I'm still gonna use best buy's return policy to try out a 55 inch but I spent today rearranging furniture in my home-office/entertainment area. The couch now sits closer to the screen and I can easily slide on my chair over to play games on the tv nearby. It's a much better setup now.

Also as a sidenote: I hooked up a 4k hdmi cable from my PC to the tv and can run audio visualizers or animated desktop wallpapers in a randomized playlist with this handy thing https://store.steampowered.com/app/431960/Wallpaper_Engine/

My setup should look really sweet when I start adding phillips hue stuff and also later when I make my new desktop PC build that'll have a built-in phillips hue bridge to sync everything in the room.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 7, 2018

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there any way to get the mic button on a LG C8 to trigger another device's google assistant?

The shield tv has the same tech, but will also search local Kodi libraries for content as well as the usual streaming services, which is pretty handy. But of course the button on the remote only triggers GA on the TV. Otherwise the LG remote has completely replaced my shield tv remote.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sound bar chat: I recently got the "Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1" package and am a pretty happy camper. I was planning on doing a proper 5.1 setup after moving from apartment to a house next year, but with someone in the thread talking up their Yamaha sound bar I figured I'd check bars out again for lower cost, less wires and stuff around, and the simplicity of not having to think about reconnecting everything through a receiver and more remotes etc. Wirecutter had this Vizio as their budget pick (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-soundbar/); I'm sure the more expensive ones are a lot better but if I'm spending more than $200 it's gonna be towards a proper speaker setup.

I'm on a KS8000 for a mix of TV/movies/games and with a baby usually asleep a room over when using it I was after more clarity instead of big booming theater sound. Had a crappy soundbar on the old TV that I gave away when the KS8000 built-ins were better - thought they were fine for the most part for my situation but we were getting annoyed at the imbalance of dialogue vs. explosions and music especially in movies, the ol' game of crank it up to hear what people are saying then have music kick in and blow our ears up and worry if we woke the baby. Throwing this Vizio in has been a better upgrade than expected; after playing with the center/side/sub volumes I feel like I've gotten a pretty even balance of everything without using Night Mode kinda stuff I don't trust, there's a lot more range in the highs and lows I didn't realize the TV speakers had been missing, it works with the Samsung remote (ARC), and is minimal on speakers and space occupation (wires from the surrounds to the sub, but wireless from the sub to the bar). I just put the surround speakers on the sides of the TV cause again I'm just going for more clarity and range, no comment on how much it works or fails as a budget pick for trying to mimic a legit full speaker setup.
I paid about $150 at Best Buy, looks like it's on Wal-Mart's site for the same right now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-32...lBoCqssQAvD_BwE

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm looking for a device where I can
- plug in a USB stick
- that will be able to read all the various formats I might have on my disk somewhere (mkv, DTS, etc)
- that can output 4k at 60 Hz
- HDR is a plus but not a must

What am I looking for?

edit:
Background: I used to watch movies from my Macbook Pro '13 using HDMI on my TV, but after upgrading my TV to 4k, the Macbook can only output 4k at 30 Hz, which leads to microstutter. So I'm looking for a device to take its place

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nvidia Shield is the best streamer there is and is what you want. Hopefully you can still snag a deal as they have been on for cheaper lately.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

teh_Broseph posted:

Sound bar chat: I recently got the "Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1" package and am a pretty happy camper.

I have it and like it.

I actually have two Vizio sound bars with 5.1 wireless speakers. My only complaint about the SB3651 specficially is that my DirecTV remote will not program to the drat thing. The other Vizio sound bar works just fine. This one? I canot get it to work for volume controls

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

teh_Broseph posted:

Sound bar chat: Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1"

I am also getting this for Christmas. Glad to hear your experience was good! Looking forward to hooking mine up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Spacedad posted:

Edit: I see there's a lot of those available for 200 ish used. What's the subwoofer you paired it with.
Just a Sony 100w I’ve been using for 16 years, nothing special.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm in the market for a 4k blu ray player, how can I find out which ones will be able to play mkv files from a USB stick in 4k/60Hz with HDR?

For example, Samsung's popular player UBD-M7500 lists the attached screenshot in its manual, which sort of makes it looks like it supports 4096x2160 in H.265, but not 3840x2160. Am I reading this wrong?

edit: forgot image:

busfahrer fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 8, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That TCL 55" 6 series Best Buy version (with the less featured remote) is on sale for $550 today.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Couple of sales via Brad's Deals today:

TCL 49" 4K Roku Smart TV (model 49S405) $299.99 at BestBuy.com

LG 65" OLED 4K HDR AI Smart TV (model OLED65B8PUA) $1,999

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
is this a trick or error

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIADG578Z8316

that's like 600 under black friday pricing

edit: whoops it sold out

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 9, 2018

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Saw it as low as 1899 on BF and 1999/2199 are common. Not a trick or an error.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

KS posted:

Saw it as low as 1899 on BF and 1999/2199 are common. Not a trick or an error.

for 65"? ive seen the 55 that low but not 65

Kino
Aug 2, 2003

Ammanas posted:

for 65"? ive seen the 55 that low but not 65

Yep. I managed to nab one of the $1900 65" C8 deals on Black Friday. The 55" was as low as $1400 if I remember right.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

wow i clearly was not looking close enough. costco, bhphoto, bestbuy and Amazon all were at $2599

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

busfahrer posted:

I'm in the market for a 4k blu ray player, how can I find out which ones will be able to play mkv files from a USB stick in 4k/60Hz with HDR?

For example, Samsung's popular player UBD-M7500 lists the attached screenshot in its manual, which sort of makes it looks like it supports 4096x2160 in H.265, but not 3840x2160. Am I reading this wrong?

edit: forgot image:

That appears to be listing the maximum resolution that device can play in each of those codecs. The larger 4096 resolution is DCI 4K, a cinema format. It should be just fine for playing TV 4K in those same codecs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BonoMan posted:

That TCL 55" 6 series Best Buy version (with the less featured remote) is on sale for $550 today.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

I was literally in the process of having Best Buy price match this to give me $50 back, and the price reverted back to $600. Then my agent "Disconnected" from me, and I'm now having to explain this whole process to a new agent. Ugh.

Edit: And the new person comes back and says they is nothing the can do. gently caress! Wasted like 45 minutes on this for nothing. Bought the TV 12 days ago too

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 9, 2018

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Update on yesterday... called Best Buy today over the phone and they just did the price match for me. $50 back on my card

The phone rep was totally understanding and did it no problem, my call was less than 5 minutes.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Update on yesterday... called Best Buy today over the phone and they just did the price match for me. $50 back on my card

The phone rep was totally understanding and did it no problem, my call was less than 5 minutes.

Thank you, just did the same, same results. Good call - thanks, HDTV thread!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Girlfriends folks got their new tcl. Drive up to set it up, opened the box and it has a huge drat crack across the screen. That’s two out of three broken so far.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ammanas posted:

wow i clearly was not looking close enough. costco, bhphoto, bestbuy and Amazon all were at $2599

If you're in the market, the best deals are usually from firstclasstv or a handful of other sellers via Ebay, with no tax in most states. There's an E8P 65 for 2149 right now. Can also call Cleveland Plasma.

$2299 on Massdrop ending in 9 hours, which is odd, because their last drop a week ago was for 2199. The next super good prices will probably be right before the Super Bowl.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Buying from those places aren't you foregoing the ease of return if something is wrong? Seems like a huge deal for a $2k+ purchase.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My square trade warranty request was approved. Have a 65" OLEDc6p currently... the TV I want is the LG OLED65C8PUA, yes?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What apps are everyone using to stream HDR content? I have a Sony 4K TV and was surprised to see that Google play movies would not stream in HDR on it, either via casting or through the internal Android TV app. Youtube does not either. The only app that does seem to actually work is Vudu, but it defaults to DV instead of HDR10, which doesn't look as good on my TV and down let me use the TV menu during playback. I'd like to try and use the internal apps since a streaming device plugged in keeps the TV from going to sleep, but I can't figure out if it's an Android TV problem, a Google Play Movies problem, or both.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Odd, casting should work for Google Play Movies. It works on my X900E.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

PageMaster posted:

What apps are everyone using to stream HDR content? I have a Sony 4K TV and was surprised to see that Google play movies would not stream in HDR on it, either via casting or through the internal Android TV app. Youtube does not either. The only app that does seem to actually work is Vudu, but it defaults to DV instead of HDR10, which doesn't look as good on my TV and down let me use the TV menu during playback. I'd like to try and use the internal apps since a streaming device plugged in keeps the TV from going to sleep, but I can't figure out if it's an Android TV problem, a Google Play Movies problem, or both.

I have a 900F, and the built in YouTube app will play HDR videos. Amazon Prime video does as well.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Hello TV thread. I'm looking for a recommendation.

I want to replace a 12ish year old 52" sony xrd with something 55" to 65", and am willing to spend some :10bux: to do it right. I tend to keep these kinds of things for a long time.

My use cases are TV/movie watching mostly via streaming services (hulu, netflix), but I really want something that works well with a HTPC for PC games, emulation, and local streaming.

I'm concerned about 4k upscaling IQ and input lag. I'm also upgrading a halfway decent gaming PC, leftover parts will turn into the HTPC, but there's no way it'll be able to push 4k for games, and my very casual research has turned up a lot of reports that going from 1080p to 4k is blurry and laggy via both nvidia drivers and TV upscaling. Are there TV models out there that upscale well enough to make something like this work?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Got a question about which of the following is better:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-43uk6400plf.html

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-43uk6750pld.html

I take it the 6750 is the better unit - the only differences between the two I can see is the motion processing on that model is probably better than the 6400, plus the former has one more HDMI port.

There's a difference of £80 - would the "better" motion processing be worth it? It'll be used predominantly for gaming. Cheers goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I wouldn't buy any LG tv that's not from their OLED range - they use IPS panels which have terrible blacks for better viewing angles.