Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
You tell em AOC

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1070764827533078529

I really really want to know who was involved in putting this together

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

KickerOfMice posted:

Yet Flea strides upon the ruins, wallowing in a sad but kickass lament.

Kiedis sings extensively about the city he lives in, which is Los Angeles, also referred to as the City of Angels. However, he never sings in praise of the suburbs or the rural areas. His viewpoint is the myopic narcissism of an urban elite.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VitalSigns posted:

I actually agree, we should pick the feminine as the nongendered noun in these cases.

Senatrix Bernard Sanders

This but un-ironically. It really sounds way more badass.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

theblackw0lf posted:

You tell em AOC

id assume the majority party, but id also bet establishment dems would not do much better, it would just be different, slightly less evil faces

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

theblackw0lf posted:

You tell em AOC

AOC live stream the meeting

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Marlows posted:

You might want to look in the mirror. Its incredibly gross to reduce AOC to: is "killer" at "looking good for the camera."

I think the whole debate is silly, given that she is not yet constitutionally qualified and a few years can be an eternity in politics, and even I think that was a creepy remark. Give it a few years, she might turn out awesome but she hasn't even done anything yet.

AOC has demonstrated more understanding of how to effectively posture, energize, and engage with voters on social media and in public than most American politicians for the last fifty years, and that’s what I meant.

Trump is arguably also good at this, within the context of appealing to his base.

But if you want to make the worst faith reading I agree that my word choice was poor. My apologies.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

skylined! posted:

Don Jr is also telling people he about to be indicted, apparently.

I still intend to throw some money at a charity when this happens and I encourage everyone else able to do so to do so. :toxx:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Brony Car posted:

Kiedis sings extensively about the city he lives in, which is Los Angeles, also referred to as the City of Angels. However, he never sings in praise of the suburbs or the rural areas. His viewpoint is the myopic narcissism of an urban elite.

Y'know, I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of a song that praises suburbs. Maaybe some of the stuff on The Village Green Preservation Society, but that's so specifically English and likely sarcastic I'm not sure it applies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really does tell you all you need to know about our country that goldman sachs is at an orientation for incoming congressfolk.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DandyLion posted:

This but un-ironically. It really sounds way more badass.

I wasn't being ironic that would own.

theblackw0lf posted:

You tell em AOC

This is a real good example of how she'd be better at presidenting than any of our leadership, because she's capable of figuring out that Goldman-Sachs lobbyists aren't unbiased authorities and honest enough to admit it, skill(s) the Obamas and Clintons and Pelosis of the world lack.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I would throw out that we should probably see how she handles actual governance before anything else, but I suspect the entire "Is AOC qualified for President" argument is being universally argued in bad faith by everyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tibalt posted:

I would throw out that we should probably see how she handles actual governance before anything else, but I suspect the entire "Is AOC qualified for President" argument is being universally argued in bad faith by everyone.

that isn't what bad faith means.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really does tell you all you need to know about our country that goldman sachs is at an orientation for incoming congressfolk.

They started a deposit retail bank that can only receive wires currently. They're really going for the common man these days!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Y'know, I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of a song that praises suburbs. Maaybe some of the stuff on The Village Green Preservation Society, but that's so specifically English and likely sarcastic I'm not sure it applies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLiQ7KhmYU

oh wait is that sarcastic

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Oh okay I guess I'll support Trump then since there's no reason to ask for better, apparently

The lazy "you all just want magic space communism" cannard is getting really old especially when there's a firm set of things people are wanting which are routinely ignored by the Democrats. Saying people aren't happy with anything would hold more weight if they started actually delivering.

I'd love an example of a Democrat giving leftists exactly what they ask for (so no means tested bullshit tax credits) to which it's just not enough.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
NC scandal really starting to heat up

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1070763612048891906

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m intensely interested in seeing the general reaction to the first time AOC does something to disappoint people.

What an odd thing to hope for.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tibalt posted:

People have different understandings of what being president entails, but everyone who thinks you need to have been a politician for 30 years and be some sort of nerd technocrat is wrong. She'd be best one in at least decades.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m intensely interested in seeing the general reaction to the first time AOC does something to disappoint people.

is holding politicians accountable to their constituents a completely alien idea to you?

comments like this make me curious whether democracy is something you even support

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1070765437745553409

:lol: He was HW's Attorney General

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

eke out posted:

i don't think this makes a lot of sense given that the AG doesn't really affect high-level political pardons in any way, apart from being someone the president might consult

nobody in any position will meaningfully change whether or not trump pardons people, the key question is will they actively obstruct justice for Trump, and a conservative institutionalist like Barr is certainly far less likely than proposed candidates like Kris Kobach or Pam Pondi

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1070762167035678720

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lemming posted:

People have different understandings of what being president entails, but everyone who thinks you need to have been a politician for 30 years and be some sort of nerd technocrat is wrong. She'd be best one in at least decades.

By the time she is constitutionally eligible, she will have more than enough legislative and political experience. But I do believe holding some significant political office is a pretty good heuristic for picking a candidate, if only because it provides some substantive record to judge said candidate on, and it shuts out carnival barkers like Trump

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’ve already been disappointed by AOC. She’s already said things I don’t agree with. I accept this because I believe she’s acting in good faith and she hasn’t done anything to disabuse me of this notion. Her politics aren’t 100% what I want but I respect her.

The thing about centrist Dems is their politics are so much different from what I want and it’s so obvious they aren’t acting in good faith there’s no reason for me to cut them slack when they gently caress up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

By the time she is constitutionally eligible, she will have more than enough legislative and political experience. But I do believe holding some significant political office is a pretty good heuristic for picking a candidate, if only because it provides some substantive record to judge said candidate on, and it shuts out carnival barkers like Trump

No the only qualifications are being popular, charismatic, and having good ideology. The things you listed are "nice to haves." Real life is high school.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If someone as inexperienced as Trump can make it through 4 years of a presidency, AOC will be fine

"Make it through" and "actually succeed" are two entirely different things

Half of what Trump wants to accomplish he's hosed up because neither he nor the people in his administration know how to write laws, policies, or orders in a way that withstands the first legal hurdle thrown at them

He lost a branch of Congress not because of what he's trying to do but because he fucks up so much

Maybe the aspiration for the next President shouldn't just be "more moral and leftist than Carter" but should actually include "more able to work with Congress and get legislation passed too"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ah, good. Someone with a proven track record of covering up presidential treason.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

skeleton warrior posted:

Half of what Trump wants to accomplish he's hosed up because neither he nor the people in his administration know how to write laws, policies, or orders in a way that withstands the first legal hurdle thrown at them

He lost a branch of Congress not because of what he's trying to do but because he fucks up so much

Maybe the aspiration for the next President shouldn't just be "more moral and leftist than Carter" but should actually include "more able to work with Congress and get legislation passed too"

Unfortunately unless that legislation is “aggressive movement to deal with climate change right this moment” this is actually just pissing in the wind for all the difference it will make.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Absolutely not. gently caress working with Congress and getting legislation passed. I only want the president to work with Congress and get legislation passed if Congress is Democratic. Those are two hugely different things.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Groovelord Neato posted:

that isn't what bad faith means.
You're right, I'm sure AOC would be qualified with her years of bartending and bachelor's in economics/wouldn't be qualified after two and a half terms in the House.

Why would I possibly think people are arguing in a deceptive manner.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tibalt posted:

You're right, I'm sure AOC would be qualified with her years of bartending and bachelor's in economics/wouldn't be qualified after two and a half terms in the House.

Why would I possibly think people are arguing in a deceptive manner.

No you’re just sidestepping the actual argument, which is that traditional definitions of “qualification” are exclusionary of marginalized people and prize participation in institutions that favor old straight rich white dudes and the status quo at large.

Hillary is a huge outlier in being traditionally qualified for president despite being a woman, and she’s a wealthy straight white woman.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lemming posted:

No the only qualifications are being popular, charismatic, and having good ideology. The things you listed are "nice to haves." Real life is high school.

this is naive as all hell. president is a job that has consequences, as trump is clearly showing. you don't just will things into being, or obama would have gotten a lot more done, and so would trump for that matter

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not intending to condescend, I was just somewhat jocularly pointing out that you already have dropped female endings for a bunch of formerly gendered occupational names in your everyday speech, so isn't it a bit weird that one more is somehow an affront to the language? If you don't go out of your way to pick a noun form to specify whether a stand-up comic has a vagina maybe it's not that important to make sure your waiter's sexual organs are specifically implied?

I wasn't saying that dropping one more was an affront to language though. I was saying that abandoning a female-specific gendered term in favor of its male-specific counterpart doesn't make sense to me.

The right response was Crow Jane's. She correctly pointed out that that's not what has happened with the waiter/waitress pair and that now neither is preferred.

The strangeness of it being okay to call women either actor or actress, (but that the same did not apply to men) has bothered me since childhood, and it's specifically that sort of syntactical swap that I'm questioning the utility of.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 6, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

FDR took bumpkins from all over the country and put them in charge of spinning up brand new federal departments and it worked great, because unlike the blue-blood Ivy Leaguers who run everything today, those people actually wanted the country to work for their fellow man instead of serve is a grift conveyor for the rich.

From a few pages back but I love this post so much. It really drives home how the issue of "experience" and "the right qualifications" are pretty much total bullshit. Our government does suck and could use some good reforms, but it is not so arcane that we need to keep trusting the worst people on Earth with running it exclusively. Regular people can handle all the loving garbage thrown at them in life and they could handle our government too. And don't mistake this for an anti-intellectualism stance, professionally educated people should be in government too, they just shouldn't make up the entirety of it, because that is not representation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Considering how she's already improving climate legislation and basically coercing fellow Democrats to pay their interns a living wage, and she hasn't even been sworn in yet imma say she's pretty drat good at the "working with Congress to get policies in place" part,

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Another Butina update (again, cool if someone could explain)

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1070761650163204097

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1070762997415587840

something's wrong with her lawyers, apparently.

perhaps a conflict of interest now that she apparently wants to cooperate, given they're being paid by the russian government (probably, somehow)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is naive as all hell. president is a job that has consequences, as trump is clearly showing. you don't just will things into being, or obama would have gotten a lot more done, and so would trump for that matter

And how will knowing more laws let you convince a Republican congress to pass universal healthcare? Or will being charismatic and supporting universal healthcare and using the bully pulpit be more effective at getting more people to support universal healthcare, leading to more success at the polls?

The point is that the qualities that let you be a good effective president are very different from being "qualified" to know how the laws should be setup. Ideally, sure, you'd have everything, but far and away the charisma and ideology are more important in terms of getting your goals fulfilled. Trump has been very effective at carrying out the Republican agenda and he is the world's biggest dumbest idiot. He's mean and vicious and signs the bills his evil friends put in front of him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd basically agree that the primary qualifications of being president, from a technical standpoint, are the ability to convince congresspeople to do poo poo and the willingness to put up with 12 hour workdays every day for the next four years, neither of which are really skills that being senator can train you in (maybe governor does though).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

I was saying that dropping one more was an affront to language though. I was saying that abandoning a female-specific gendered term in favor of its male-specific counterpart doesn't make sense to me.

The right response was Crow Jane's. She correctly pointed out that that's not what has happened with the waiter/waitress pair and that now neither is preferred.

The strangeness of it being okay to call women either actor or actress, (but that the same did not apply to men) has bothered me since childhood, and it's specifically that sort of syntactical swap that I'm questioning the utility of.

Why not, you already do it with "comedian" and "usher" and "author" and "poet" and "singer" probably more, you don't go around saying "comedienne" and "usherette" and "authoress" and "poetess" and "singeress" or insist that we come up with some third word because it would be so confusing to call a woman an usher, right?

Like I don't have a problem with the word "server" but it's weird to insist that it makes no sense to just drop feminine forms when we've done that for a bunch of words already and it hasn't seemed to cause any confusion yet. Like no one goes "oh you said your partner is a poet so I just assumed you were dating a man how awkward"

E: In fact if I said "oh you mean you're a poetess" it would be pretty weird at least if not sexist

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 6, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Crow Jane posted:

I've never been terribly interested in flying planes, but I kinda want to be able to call myself an aviatrix

Kind of sounds like something you could get away with calling yourself if you owned a large enough bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1070767431478583297

in career ethics staff's defense, there's a million unethical things in his past they have to investigate, i imagine it does take a while