Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9EMlxdCrM

Finally the review we've all waited for.

Wild how well the 2600k still holds up after 8 years.

I had a 2700K and it was amazing. I only replaced it because my wife told me to spend the money or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9EMlxdCrM

Finally the review we've all waited for.

Wild how well the 2600k still holds up after 8 years.

Sheesh, it's amazing how well that series held up. I just replaced my 2500k this past month and I likely would have held off for another year if I wasn't using an ultrawide monitor.

Hey maybe someone can clue me in, but I noticed the motherboard I just replaced (ASUS Motherboard P8Z68-V) still sells for a pretty high price secondhand on ebay. Considering it's a nine year old motherboard, that's insane. Is it because people are still making 2500k builds for whatever reason or is there something else I'm not picking up on.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

replacement boards are no longer being made except for specific business-only contracts

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
In contrast, an Intel Xeon E3-1230 (basically a 2600 that supports ECC) hardly goes for much and LGA 1150 C20x motherboards are pretty much a dime a dozen. Nobody could have predicted how strong the Sandy Bridge series was going to be besides maybe the folks at Intel and AMD. I'm sending my beloved E3-1230 to recycling after it's faithfully served for nearly a decade - it's literally the longest-going computer I ever had now. I just need to downsize is the only reason and a NUC makes more sense to me now than any form of larger PC (including even a mini ITX machine).

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

In contrast, an Intel Xeon E3-1230 (basically a 2600 that supports ECC) hardly goes for much and LGA 1150 C20x motherboards are pretty much a dime a dozen. Nobody could have predicted how strong the Sandy Bridge series was going to be besides maybe the folks at Intel and AMD. I'm sending my beloved E3-1230 to recycling after it's faithfully served for nearly a decade - it's literally the longest-going computer I ever had now. I just need to downsize is the only reason and a NUC makes more sense to me now than any form of larger PC (including even a mini ITX machine).
I got a C226 motherboard for like $40 to replace a busted Z97 that were going for over twice that. I'm still using a E3-1276v3 and it's got a good high clock speed, so I think I can get another year out of it. Enough time for a Zen 2 Threadripper to be easily available, which is perfect.

I want to see what Intel's answer to it would be as well, but I'm not very hopeful at the moment. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel: 7mn EUV "on track". They claim no announced 10nm parts have been cancelled yet. Wonder how long 10nm will even last at this point.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13683/intel-euvenabled-7nm-process-tech-is-on-track

Sounds like the issue for everyone with EUV is still actually getting enough of the machines out of ASML.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cygni posted:

Sounds like the issue for everyone with EUV is still actually getting enough of the machines out of ASML.

I recently heard one of their board suppliers had their entire facility burn down, so gonna be even longer.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Interesting that Intel pushed the "whole separate team" angle. They're probably trying to invoke the memory of recovering from Netburst due to the work of the Core team.

Also not giving an actual time frame for 7nm is a complete tease.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Also not giving an actual time frame for 7nm is a complete tease.
If all indications that 2020 is a very optimistic time-frame at this moment in time are true, how could you possibly blame them? The fact that it looks completely pathetic to the technically inclined is less of a factor than it is to investors. They won't know the difference whether the Core i9 12990K has a Moon Lake 10nm++++ in the box or a Sapphire Rapids 7nm EUV. They just see a new $599 SKU out in time for back to school either way. No need to make even a soft timeline and get knocked for it later by analysts if they stumble on it here and there until an actual release.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Well there's no loving way I'm waiting for the EVGA Z390 Dark to come out at this point - it's now "maybe CES" when it was originally "Early November". I just see it becoming "Q1 2019" to "Q2 2019" and then July rolls around and there are 100 available and then it's sold out until September.

Looking at the Gigabye Aorus Master. Is the BIOS really as bad as people say? If it is I'll probably just spring for the Maximus XI Extreme. Delidded 9900K with a fully custom loop.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The BIOS is fine, from what I've seen. Unless you're into nitpicking how menu options are presented.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Evidently the launch BIOS of the Aorus boards were a clusterfuck. Revision F5 fixed a lot of people's issues.

All I know at this point is that it's pretty clear EVGA's more interested in giving out DARK boards to select pro overclockers under NDA in the hopes that it'll make the wanna-be hobbyist overclockers pay $5/6/700 for it so they can be the new King poo poo of Who-Gives-A-gently caress Mountain. If Newegg has another one of those Masterpass/Visa Checkout deals and the Maximus XI Extreme isn't selling for the gently caress-you price of $800 from some scalper marketplace seller, I'm going with it and it's "pretty good" VRM. Who knows, maybe ASUS will get the APEX out in the next week or two, but I somehow doubt it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Laslow posted:

If all indications that 2020 is a very optimistic time-frame at this moment in time are true, how could you possibly blame them? The fact that it looks completely pathetic to the technically inclined is less of a factor than it is to investors. They won't know the difference whether the Core i9 12990K has a Moon Lake 10nm++++ in the box or a Sapphire Rapids 7nm EUV. They just see a new $599 SKU out in time for back to school either way. No need to make even a soft timeline and get knocked for it later by analysts if they stumble on it here and there until an actual release.

We learn: investors are dumb and should have their power taken away.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Capitalize on their mistakes, I made a lot of money buying against the stock market based on engineering guesses. Anytime there's a big stock move see if it lines up with what we know of electronics.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently the launch BIOS of the Aorus boards were a clusterfuck. Revision F5 fixed a lot of people's issues.

All I know at this point is that it's pretty clear EVGA's more interested in giving out DARK boards to select pro overclockers under NDA in the hopes that it'll make the wanna-be hobbyist overclockers pay $5/6/700 for it so they can be the new King poo poo of Who-Gives-A-gently caress Mountain. If Newegg has another one of those Masterpass/Visa Checkout deals and the Maximus XI Extreme isn't selling for the gently caress-you price of $800 from some scalper marketplace seller, I'm going with it and it's "pretty good" VRM. Who knows, maybe ASUS will get the APEX out in the next week or two, but I somehow doubt it.

The Formula is a great board is you are doing a custom loop. I’ve got a Formula C Z370 and it handles my 9900k @ 5ghz no problem. 50 mult 0 avx 1.31v vcore w/1.21 vccsa and 1.21 vccio LLC6 and temps are actually good enough I’m probably not going to delid

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seriosly. That Luumi guy has like 400 subs on YouTube. None of the big names have one, but this guy no one's heard of does? Wierd.

Also Newegg has the XI Extreme in stock right now for $599 with the COD bundle. I'm still deciding (the Aorus Xtreme also looks great) but I'm tempted. Been sitting on everything but the board now for like 2 months....

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

This last weekend I got an aorus pro WiFi and a 9700K and I'm having no issues running all cores at 5.1 GHz. Using vcore of 1.3 V. I do have a custom cooling loop and appear to have gotten a pretty decent 9700K as it'll do 5 GHz at 1.265 V. Temps are around 65 C with prime95 no AVX running and the GPU (2080ti) being stressed at the same time.

Definitely upgrade the bios when you get it. Mine still had gigabyte branding until I did.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Ordered the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme (just came back in stock at Newegg)...I figured, I've probably spent $500 just on fittings for this build, might as well go balls out for once. Now I need to re-do my network that I just re-did 2 months ago for 10GbE :smith:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

forbidden dialectics posted:

Ordered the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme (just came back in stock at Newegg)...I figured, I've probably spent $500 just on fittings for this build, might as well go balls out for once. Now I need to re-do my network that I just re-did 2 months ago for 10GbE :smith:

What does a motherboard have to do with the network?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Volguus posted:

What does a motherboard have to do with the network?

It has integrated 10GbE \/:shobon:\/

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 8, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've been considering upgrading to 10GbE myself, but I have to move at the end of the month, and, well... :homebrew:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Well there's no loving way I'm waiting for the EVGA Z390 Dark to come out at this point - it's now "maybe CES" when it was originally "Early November". I just see it becoming "Q1 2019" to "Q2 2019" and then July rolls around and there are 100 available and then it's sold out until September.

Looking at the Gigabye Aorus Master. Is the BIOS really as bad as people say? If it is I'll probably just spring for the Maximus XI Extreme. Delidded 9900K with a fully custom loop.

As the previous poster said, the BIOS is fine but just unintuitive. Make sure to update to the latest BIOS when you get it. The Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo I got had the F5 revision which had the older UI.

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf

Gigabyte themselves posted a guide to follow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If the order hasn't been tendered yet, Newegg's eBay store also has it in stock, and there's a 10% off promo active at the moment (PHLDAYTEN). *Also*, when you look at Warranty/Returns for motherboards on Newegg's regular site, it says motherboards are non-refundable, whereas on their eBay store, you have a 30 day money-back return policy. Final price comes out to $499.98.

It's not the motherboard *I* wanted, either - but given that going the eBay route gives me options to return it if it's a POS, I think I'll take the shot. It *does* worry me that there hasn't been a new BIOS update for it since the "first release" on 9/11/18.

Direct Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-XTREME-LGA-1151-300-Series-Intel-Z390-HDMI-THUNDERBOLT-3-U-/292799889958?hash=item442c3bc226

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 8, 2018

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If the order hasn't been tendered yet, Newegg's eBay store also has it in stock, and there's a 10% off promo active at the moment (PHLDAYTEN). *Also*, when you look at Warranty/Returns for motherboards on Newegg's regular site, it says motherboards are non-refundable, whereas on their eBay store, you have a 30 day money-back return policy. Final price comes out to $499.98.

It's not the motherboard *I* wanted, either - but given that going the eBay route gives me options to return it if it's a POS, I think I'll take the shot. It *does* worry me that there hasn't been a new BIOS update for it since the "first release" on 9/11/18.

Direct Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-XTREME-LGA-1151-300-Series-Intel-Z390-HDMI-THUNDERBOLT-3-U-/292799889958?hash=item442c3bc226

Dang, it's already in packaging. But, I had a $50 "giftcard" from Newegg's last sale that was only good until the end of December, so it more or less works out the same. I used my Amex card so if it's a turd and they won't refund it, I can always just use purchase protection to get a refund.

From what I've read though, it's pretty much in a different league even compared to the rest of Gigabyte's strong Z390 lineup. BIOSes get updates; poo poo VRMs and trace layouts don't. Not to mention other than the Dark, it's the only Z390 board with an angled 24-pin power connector :swoon:.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dang, it's already in packaging. But, I had a $50 "giftcard" from Newegg's last sale that was only good until the end of December, so it more or less works out the same. I used my Amex card so if it's a turd and they won't refund it, I can always just use purchase protection to get a refund.

From what I've read though, it's pretty much in a different league even compared to the rest of Gigabyte's strong Z390 lineup. BIOSes get updates; poo poo VRMs and trace layouts don't. Not to mention other than the Dark, it's the only Z390 board with an angled 24-pin power connector :swoon:.

Yeah, I've a $30 Newegg promotional gift card, and I was waiting for one of those instances where I'd be able to combine it with one of those MasterPass/Visa Checkout promos for ~$50 off. The way I see it, I just spent $500 for 30 days' worth of insurance. I'll actually be able to build my damned computer now, and if the EVGA DARK or ASUS' APEX come out, I'll have options. I'm not terribly thrilled at the additional :catdrugs: on the board, as my case will already have what I consider a healthy amount of it.

Another nice fact - the Thunderbolt chip on it is evidently Titan Ridge, which has a guy on this thread geeking the gently caress out: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/5638/z390-xtreme-mobo

My guess as to why it's taking so long for BIOS updates on the Xtreme SKU is that they have to incorporate so many goddamned additional firmwares and microcodes in it for all the additional sub-components.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Upgraded from a 6600k to a 9700k. Install everything and go to start connecting power cables into the motherboard, ATX 2x12, ATX 2x4, ...and wait why doesn't my Corsair
RM650 have a 2x2 connector?

Anybody have a new power supply suggestion that will have it?

Edit: ignore me, apparently the 2x2 isn't necessary

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 11, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if anyone knows/cares but Newegg is a fat pile of poo poo these days. Internets say the company got bought out by some chinese firm in 2016. support is bad.. real bad

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

redeyes posted:

I dunno if anyone knows/cares but Newegg is a fat pile of poo poo these days. Internets say the company got bought out by some chinese firm in 2016. support is bad.. real bad

I never understood why everyone is so hot on Newegg. Their prices aren't anything special, their customer service sucks, they fight returns every step of the way, and you have to do all sorts of bullshit just to use a credit card on their site. I sometimes use Newegg to search for stuff, but then I just buy it from Amazon because of fast free shipping and returns.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you have to buy anything from Newegg, do it through their eBay store. Not only does eBay have more/better promo codes, it also means you're covered under eBay's return policy, not Newegg's. It's the only reason I bought my Aorus Xtreme, because Newegg's main store has an no refunds/exchange-only policy on motherboards that you'd only know about if you looked for it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Newegg has been fine for me. I buy from them if the price is good, probably like 10 orders a year, but I haven’t returned anything since like the Athlon XP days.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Newegg was good before Amazon was so dominant. They’re running on inertia right now.

They even get dunked on by Microcenter, a physical store in 2018. Think about that for a minute.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’ve been pretty luckily that I haven’t had any support issues with Newegg, Support has always handled things quickly. I won’t buy a GPU from them because of their return policy but if they have the lowest price I’ll go with them, not paying tax still is a bonus though. Their processing speed and shipping times are super poo poo though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

B-Mac posted:

I’ve been pretty luckily that I haven’t had any support issues with Newegg, Support has always handled things quickly. I won’t buy a GPU from them because of their return policy but if they have the lowest price I’ll go with them, not paying tax still is a bonus though. Their processing speed and shipping times are super poo poo though.

Well, there was that time when everyone who bought something from them over the course of a month had their details harvested from a data scraper inserted into their payment system by criminals.

Don't buy from Newegg.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My credit card has been leaked by like every big box retailer in the US so

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissCM posted:

Well, there was that time when everyone who bought something from them over the course of a month had their details harvested from a data scraper inserted into their payment system by criminals.

Don't buy from Newegg.

I just use PayPal with Newegg.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Laslow posted:

Newegg was good before Amazon was so dominant. They’re running on inertia right now.

They even get dunked on by Microcenter, a physical store in 2018. Think about that for a minute.

Pretty much this. They were good in the early aughts when we all started building PCs, some people just stuck with them in the decade and a half since, rather than moving on to Amazon.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I use Newegg for its easier search compared to Amazon. Then I go buy on Amazon.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

SwissCM posted:

Don't buy from Newegg.

I use PayPal with Newegg and most other online sites, but if I stopped using my CC with any site or store that got hit with an attack like this I wouldn’t be able to shop anywhere. Besides I’ve gotten enough letters from the DoD saying some moron had their laptop stolen from their car with millions of veterans personal data on it. Plus companies like google and Facebook selling your personal data and then security breaches like with equifax. Stolen CC info is way down on my list, dispute the charges and cancel the card.

Keeping fighting that good fight against Newegg. Better add Walmart, target, eBay, Best Buy and a whole host of banking and healthcare companies to your do not use list.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I never understood why everyone is so hot on Newegg. Their prices aren't anything special, their customer service sucks, they fight returns every step of the way, and you have to do all sorts of bullshit just to use a credit card on their site. I sometimes use Newegg to search for stuff, but then I just buy it from Amazon because of fast free shipping and returns.

It's because the alternative used to be Tigerdirect