Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

A couple of weeks?!

This was made by five people, right? I can't think of any other explanation.

They're a small team...

quote:

NEXT GENERATION FACILITIES

Avalanche Studios offers the latest technology not only for our game development, but for our frequent game nights as well. We have 20,000 square feet of brand-new spaces that feature a recreational zone with large plasma screens for gaming, a big kitchen with fully stocked refrigerators offering free drinks and fruit, several meetings rooms and our trademark open plan development floor that keeps everyone completely accessible at all times

In a huge office.

https://avalanchestudios.com/careers/?city=new_york#browse

Strangely, they don't mention Just Cause 4. :thunk:

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thats the a team office, b team works in a van in the parking lot

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that they don't give a poo poo about this title.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Earwicker posted:

thats the a team office, b team works in a van in the parking lot

Did they get that from the profits that this game gave them, because I thought they shared rental space with Oscar The Grouch

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gave it another shot; I've now distilled the tutorial down to grapple over to the first crate, gently caress off over the valley - fun note, retracting the parachute puts you into a 'fall' rather than skydive animation. Climb the pipes to the helicopter pad, grab the crate, shoot the barrel, shoot the guy at the top of the stairs, shoot the two people that break left and right. Grapple chute up the steps, take a left, right, grapple across the gaps, up the pipes, swing right and go up the rocks, avoiding the shooting, swing over the big fan, head right (and wide to avoid the other fans).

I've now played this seven times with different combinations of turning things off, and it always ends in a GPU infinite loop which hard locks.

I got through the tutorial _once_, and it crashed immediately. I suspect an interaction between cloud saves and Denuvo, which would be loving hilarious if it hosed their first couple of weeks sales.

edit: And now I think about it, the tutorial is pretty loving empty.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Gamers need to rise up

God i hate that phrase

But for real the intro of that jetpack actually made me 100% jc3 because moving around was just so much loving fun.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the one saving grace this game has is that F76 is taking up all the negative attention

I think they got The Quiet Man himself to program this game, just a dozen project managers miming to a deaf man to get him to tighten up the graphics on level 3

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Hav posted:

Gave it another shot; I've now distilled the tutorial down to grapple over to the first crate, gently caress off over the valley - fun note, retracting the parachute puts you into a 'fall' rather than skydive animation. Climb the pipes to the helicopter pad, grab the crate, shoot the barrel, shoot the guy at the top of the stairs, shoot the two people that break left and right. Grapple chute up the steps, take a left, right, grapple across the gaps, up the pipes, swing right and go up the rocks, avoiding the shooting, swing over the big fan, head right (and wide to avoid the other fans).

I've now played this seven times with different combinations of turning things off, and it always ends in a GPU infinite loop which hard locks.

I got through the tutorial _once_, and it crashed immediately. I suspect an interaction between cloud saves and Denuvo, which would be loving hilarious if it hosed their first couple of weeks sales.

edit: And now I think about it, the tutorial is pretty loving empty.

Even among the people who are mad you are the only one getting these crashes, maybe you should test your hardware for faults?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spent their entire development budget on rent

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whats with all the quiet man jokes lately. I think i missed that bit of zeitgeist. Would anyone mind clarifying?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

Even among the people who are mad you are the only one getting these crashes, maybe you should test your hardware for faults?
a lot of other people on steam are having the same issues right at the same point

looks like setting steam to big picture mode and disabling the overlay might help, but it doesn't seem to fix it for all users

(strangely this also happened in JC3 a whole lot too)

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 7, 2018

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

ZeusCannon posted:

Whats with all the quiet man jokes lately. I think i missed that bit of zeitgeist. Would anyone mind clarifying?

It's a Square Enix game they just poo poo out the door with no warning a few weeks ago at the grand price of $15. Until Fallout 76 and Just Cause 4, Quiet Man was an easy lock for worst game of the year.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

A couple of weeks?!

This was made by five people, right? I can't think of any other explanation.

Honestly? I would not at all be surprised if that was the case. I’m not sure how well this game pre-sold, but cutting back on development and QA at the end on a game that they expected to lose money isn’t that much of a leap.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

the one saving grace this game has is that F76 is taking up all the negative attention

Lol no, nobody is talking about this game

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I know I have been a big supporter of this game in the thread, and trying to remain positive, but now I can't even load into the game without a crash, and "a few weeks" for a patch is really lovely. What a bummer, when it works I am having a lot of fun, but it no longer works.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Merrill Grinch posted:

It's a Square Enix game they just poo poo out the door with no warning a few weeks ago at the grand price of $15. Until Fallout 76 and Just Cause 4, Quiet Man was an easy lock for worst game of the year.

Yikes ok jokes make sense now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Byolante posted:

Except a lot of people are getting these issues.
I crashed three times in the tutorial, for instance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It is really crazy how little this game is being discussed.

I sorta knew it was coming out as a casual JC fan, and then realized it was out this past Tuesday and got kind of excited to maybe pick it up. I dropped JC3 real fast due to excessive load times and a lack of much to do besides blow up red containers.

Everyone seems to have just completely blown past this game already.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

a lot of other people on steam are having the same issues right at the same point

looks like setting steam to big picture mode and disabling the overlay might help, but it doesn't seem to fix it for all users

(strangely this also happened in JC3 a whole lot too)

It’s going to be down to drivers, as this game isn’t actually that demanding of the 1080, arkham knight had the same issues due to their particular bullshit not making it out. Another fruity release.

Batman: Origins had a mission that you couldn’t complete because of a missing grapple point on the first unlock tower. Also the geometry was bugged during the first encounter; killer croc’s head would disappear.

Overlay didn’t work for me, i’ll give big picture a shot.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
As someone who loved JC2 and found JC3 at least tolerable, I'm honestly disappointed by how much of a dumpster fire this game appears to be. Other than videos of two of its easter eggs, I've seen or heard virtually nothing positive about JC4.

Its Steam review consensus is "Mostly Negative" by now too, which is no mean feat.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hav posted:

It’s going to be down to drivers, as this game isn’t actually that demanding of the 1080, arkham knight had the same issues due to their particular bullshit not making it out. Another fruity release.

Batman: Origins had a mission that you couldn’t complete because of a missing grapple point on the first unlock tower. Also the geometry was bugged during the first encounter; killer croc’s head would disappear.

Wasn't that a copy protection measure?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I really want to like this game but it just is not worth $60. Even ignoring the graphical issues, which is hard at times, there's just not that much to do. The new gadgets get old pretty quick and the gameplay isn't much changed since 3. The world is huge but it's empty. The cities aren't worth exploring. The ai is shockingly dumb with helicopter pilots constantly suicide bombing me.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

Wasn't that a copy protection measure?

Nope. The Burnley tower vent couldn’t be grappled and we had to wait for patch 2 before anyone could advance.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/209000/announcements/detail/1513501526533474454

Six days after release. Best of it was they kept introducing new bugs.

Hav fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 7, 2018

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Going to the airport is interesting because of how poo poo the ai is. Planes will begin taking off, shoot up at a 90 angle, stall, and then chaotically correct before flying away. Landings seem to result in explosions about half the time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How is pc gaming still a poo poo show in 2018? Aside from the laughable water the game is pretty great on xbone x. Load times are almost nonexistent.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I wasn't planning on getting JC4 anytime soon (and even less now that I've been reading about it post-launch), but talk surrounding it made me want to play some JC again. I started up JC3 that I got during last winter sale for cheap since I thought I could at least get a couple hours of fun from it and gave that a shot.

Game runs fine (though I could probably drop a couple settings so it doesn't drop frames during explody time but it's not terrible) and I haven't noticed any issues with the loading times, but the controls...

I ran a couple of the tutorial missions, took back the first tiny settlement and got to a mission where you need to destroy some tanks attacking the city, and... well, am I missing some configuration options, or does JC3 control like utter loving rear end? I went with controller at first since that's how I played 2 and it's usually fine for SP stuff, but the aim assist is so low as to be nonexistent and I couldn't regular mooks to save my loving life.

At this point switched to M+K and it just feels really awkward in general. Grapple and Wingsuit stuff feels clunky to trigger with M+K, and I fiddled with sensitivity enough that it felt "normal" enough but then I jumped in a tank and it has a way different sensitivity for the turret. If that wasn't bad enough, while aiming on foot is not dependent on terrain, on the tank it's "locked" to the tank's body, so if you're aiming at something and hit an obstacle or get on an incline, suddenly you're aiming higher or lower which makes aiming at something while moving almost impossible.

Did I miss a setting in the controls config, or is it like this for everyone? I just wanted explodey fun, not eating the ground every time I deployed the wingsuit or missing every single shot either on foot or on vehicles. :<

If I were to reinstall JC2, what are the "must have" mods nowadays? I was running bolopatch last time I played, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Cheers.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Popete posted:

It is really crazy how little this game is being discussed.

I sorta knew it was coming out as a casual JC fan, and then realized it was out this past Tuesday and got kind of excited to maybe pick it up. I dropped JC3 real fast due to excessive load times and a lack of much to do besides blow up red containers.

Everyone seems to have just completely blown past this game already.

I still recommend it and am fairly enjoying it, much more as JC3 and also a bit more as Mad Max, because it's not just a copy/paste job of Ubiworlds. When adding FXAA through the driver it looks a little bit less flickering, DSR gets me down below 50FPS which is then notable, especially due to the very bad motion blur.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does this have a terribly low fixed fov setting like JC3 did? That was the reason I never played that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I wasn't planning on getting JC4 anytime soon (and even less now that I've been reading about it post-launch), but talk surrounding it made me want to play some JC again. I started up JC3 that I got during last winter sale for cheap since I thought I could at least get a couple hours of fun from it and gave that a shot.

Game runs fine (though I could probably drop a couple settings so it doesn't drop frames during explody time but it's not terrible) and I haven't noticed any issues with the loading times, but the controls...

I ran a couple of the tutorial missions, took back the first tiny settlement and got to a mission where you need to destroy some tanks attacking the city, and... well, am I missing some configuration options, or does JC3 control like utter loving rear end? I went with controller at first since that's how I played 2 and it's usually fine for SP stuff, but the aim assist is so low as to be nonexistent and I couldn't regular mooks to save my loving life.

At this point switched to M+K and it just feels really awkward in general. Grapple and Wingsuit stuff feels clunky to trigger with M+K, and I fiddled with sensitivity enough that it felt "normal" enough but then I jumped in a tank and it has a way different sensitivity for the turret. If that wasn't bad enough, while aiming on foot is not dependent on terrain, on the tank it's "locked" to the tank's body, so if you're aiming at something and hit an obstacle or get on an incline, suddenly you're aiming higher or lower which makes aiming at something while moving almost impossible.

Did I miss a setting in the controls config, or is it like this for everyone? I just wanted explodey fun, not eating the ground every time I deployed the wingsuit or missing every single shot either on foot or on vehicles. :<

If I were to reinstall JC2, what are the "must have" mods nowadays? I was running bolopatch last time I played, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Cheers.

JC3 is just a loving garbage port and Avalanche are hacks that stumbled into something vaguely resembling fun with JC2 and Mad Max.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
That micromachines vehicle shooter was fun too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Boz0r posted:

Does this have a terribly low fixed fov setting like JC3 did? That was the reason I never played that.

There still isn't an option and driving has a weirdly zoom visual to it but it's not as annoying as in 3. It's pretty dynamic depending on speed and poo poo that happens with your character/vehicle. Feels basically like JC2 in that regard, as it does in many ways plus more stuff to do.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's still insulting the game came out the way it did but I've just settled down to playing it now and, credit where it's due, I'm still having a shitload of fun.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingInquisitiveCheetahShazBotstix

C'mon, Squeenix/B-Avalanche. Do the game justice.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Songbearer posted:

It's still insulting the game came out the way it did but I've just settled down to playing it now and, credit where it's due, I'm still having a shitload of fun.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingInquisitiveCheetahShazBotstix

C'mon, Squeenix/B-Avalanche. Do the game justice.

They're going to bail on it after minor patching, such bad reviews and people saying it's bad, low sales, no reason to throw more money at it to fix it.

On the upside

Guy on youtube said it was awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That reminds me of the FO76 TV spots where normally after the game launches they'd be updated with big blocky white letters and numbers "This game blew my mind - and my dick! Gamespot 99/10" and after FO76 launched it just never got updated and was quickly taken off TV.

I'm honestly not sure which of them is sadder.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i havent played FO76 and have no plans to do so, but i suspect that JC4 even in its very broken and sad state of release is still a much more fun video game. avalanch b team may be a bunch of fuckups but theyre no bethesda

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 8, 2018

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i havent played FO76 and have no plans to do so, but i suspect that JC4 even in its very broken and sad state of release is still a much more fun video game. avalanch b team may be a bunch of fuckups but theyre no bethesda

To give credit where credit is due, Bethesda has been shooting for the moon and missing the sky for decades now, where as Avalanche is much newer to the whole “turning everything to poo poo” thing. Once they release their Just Cause MMO/Survival sim they will be able to keep the pace.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Underwhelmed posted:

To give credit where credit is due, Bethesda has been shooting for the moon and missing the sky for decades now, where as Avalanche is much newer to the whole “turning everything to poo poo” thing. Once they release their Just Cause MMO/Survival sim they will be able to keep the pace.

See, I'm generally okay with middleware games. There were TONS of them in the PS2 era that were perfectly fine but not at the San Andreas level.
You could drop $40 on a new, fun action game that played for around 20 hours or so.

Just Cause doesn't need to be GTA5 in both caliber and scope but it should perform its goal with enthusiasm and polish.

I earnestly believe that there is still a market for the $20-30 middleware action/adventure games. Not everything needs to be open world, not everything needs RPG elements.
The best games take one mechanic and explore everything it can with it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

been playing a bit more and I have noticed one Actual Improvement over even the sacred JC2: enemy jets no longer fly aimlessly around the map doing nothing, they will actually engage the player whether on the ground or in an air vehicle. air traffic in general is a lot more dynamic. the AI is really stupid of course so dont be expecting any fancy dogfights, but i thought it was still a cool change

that said, also with playing a bit more, the mission design is infuriatingly bad and the loss of conquering bases undoes a lot of what made propression in the game fun. i'll probably keep playing it a bit just to gently caress around but I dont see myself uncovering most of the map because it looks like such a chore, and man it is frustrating to take down an entire base while some counter still sits at "0%"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Underwhelmed posted:

But who’s stoked for the awesome ‘Rage 2’ now, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hav posted:

But who’s stoked for the awesome ‘Rage 2’ now, eh?

Me... kinda.
Rage 1 was a perfectly decent shooter with incredible visuals and fun animations.

The main criticism is that it's shallow but it's not a bad game.