Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Well, I'm surprised today. Now if Hannity says, I will actually die of shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

This is the real reason Trump was on his best behavior at the funeral. Didn't want to upset someone loyal to Bush so early.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

If Democrats make Joe Manchin head of climate change policy they might as well announce that there's no point in participating in the 2020 elections because neither party is the slightest bit interested in doing anything about global warming lol.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Barr is a Uranium 1 truther, so he isn't any better than the guy selling monster toilets for your magnum dong.

Guze fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 7, 2018

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is Fox sanctioned testing of waters

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I think folks consistently underestimate just how fast the entire right-wing media machine will turn on Trump the second he loses power.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Lightning Knight posted:

If Democrats make Joe Manchin head of climate change policy they might as well announce that there's no point in participating in the 2020 elections because neither party is the slightest bit interested in doing anything about global warming lol.

Yes, the classic 'I don't like what Democrats are doing, so I'm just going to pout and refuse to vote at all'

Come the gently caress on how can you post incessantly about how crappy the Dems are then when Dems are shown to be crappy, throw your hands in the air and go 'welp there's no point in voting!"

Go vote them out! Your vote may not be particularly important, but it accomplishes infinitely more than posting 'dems bad' on the internet.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Knight posted:

lol if he was scared of the antifa protestors I bet he's gonna have a great time with the Trump supporters.

They're fine with it because they agree with it. Trump bootlickers are allowed to criticize him for not being enough of a white supremacist, because the white supremacy is what motivates them.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think folks consistently underestimate just how fast the entire right-wing media machine will turn on Trump the second he loses power.

They'll all gleefully wash their hands and claim Trump wasn't Real Republican while continuing to support the monsters that want to do all the evil poo poo, but know how to keep quiet about how evil they are

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twice burned ice posted:

Yes, the classic 'I don't like what Democrats are doing, so I'm just going to pout and refuse to vote at all'

Come the gently caress on how can you post incessantly about how crappy the Dems are then when Dems are shown to be crappy, throw your hands in the air and go 'welp there's no point in voting!"

Go vote them out! Your vote may not be particularly important, but it accomplishes infinitely more than posting 'dems bad' on the internet.

Because we have roughly five to ten years to reach the best case scenario for climate change at this point, electoralism isn't going to solve the problem fast enough at this point.

I also do vote and volunteer so honestly gently caress you, I'm going to complain because the Democrats are being poo poo.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Because we have roughly five to ten years to reach the best case scenario for climate change at this point, electoralism isn't going to solve the problem fast enough at this point.

I also do vote and volunteer so honestly gently caress you, I'm going to complain because the Democrats are being poo poo.

You just implied that you're not going to vote in 2020 if Democrats do something that you don't like.

gently caress you for implying that not voting is a legitimate option.

You don't get to complain about the government for four years and then turn around and throw away your opportunity to actually voice those opinions.

Compaining is fine. Arguing that voting is pointless is loving stupid and makes you the worst kind of political commentator. It's imbecilic to say 'both sides are the same, so I'm not going to vote'

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Got some more info on where this bipartisan freshman orientation came from

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-06/gary-cohn-s-private-comments-blasted-by-freshman-house-democrat

quote:

Rashida Tlaib, a Michigan Democrat who is among a group of progressives elected on Nov. 6, blasted Cohn for comments she said he made in a closed-door meeting for new lawmakers from both parties that was hosted by Harvard University’s Institute of Politics in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

More info on that Harvard Institute

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...6e4ebd94a67?sts

quote:

Every two years, the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute for Politics hosts an officially nonpartisan orientation for new members of Congress that in practice evangelizes a Washington-specific brand of corporate-friendly conservatism. ....

This year, the Harvard conference is co-sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute, a corporate-funded conservative think tank, and the Center for Strategic International Studies, an establishment foreign policy organ.

The most liberal interlocutor listed as a speaker on the conference’s webpage was former New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, a moderate Democrat.

And here's the actual press release from the Harvard Institute

https://iop.harvard.edu/about/newsletter-press-release/newly-elected-members-congress-invited-harvard-kennedy-school%E2%80%99s

And here's the list of speakers

quote:

Hon. Elaine Chao, U.S. Secretary of Transportation, former Secretary of Labor and Director of the Peace Corps
Hon. Ash Carter, former U.S. Secretary of Defense, Director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, and Belfer Professor of Technology and Global Affairs
Hon. Mitch Landrieu, former Mayor of New Orleans, IOP Visiting Fellow
Danielle Allen, James Bryant Conant University Professor at Harvard University, and Director of Harvard’s Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics.
Mary Barra, Chairman and CEO of General Motors
Arthur Brooks, President of the American Enterprise Institute, Professor of the Practice of Public Leadership at Harvard Kennedy School
Gary Cohn, former Director of the National Economic Council
Douglas Elmendorf, former Director of the Congressional Budget Office, Dean of Harvard Kennedy School
David Gergen, former Presidential adviser, Public Service Professor of Public Leadership, Director of the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard Kennedy School
Alex Gorsky, Chairman and CEO of Johnson & Johnson

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Manchin not only voted for Pruitt, he continued to support Pruitt throughout his insane litany of scandals because "his policies have been good for West Virginia."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

twice burned ice posted:

You just implied that you're not going to vote in 2020 if Democrats do something that you don't like.

You don't get to complain about the government for four years and then turn around and throw away your opportunity to actually voice those opinions.

Compaining is fine. Arguing that voting is pointless is loving stupid and makes you the worst kind of political commentator. It's imbecilic to say 'both sides are the same, so I'm not going to vote'

If the Democratic Party is not going to be serious about climate change then yes, voting is actually pointless. It won't make a difference who we vote for if the outcome is not "deal with climate change, right now." It's that simple. That is the state of the world thanks to our carbon emission output. Them signalling that they want to put Joe loving Manchin anywhere near climate change policy is them announcing that they don't give a gently caress about climate change.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I should call my senators and tell them I want somebody who wants strong climate action on the committee even if it's symbolic. My senators are the senator from Boeing and the senator from amazon though so they probably won't care

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Senate Democrats are a goddamn disaster. Is there a single decent one?

cheetah7071 posted:

I should call my senators and tell them I want somebody who wants strong climate action on the committee even if it's symbolic. My senators are the senator from Boeing and the senator from amazon though so they probably won't care

Hello fellow Virginian.

I called Warner regarding the CIA torturer for all the fat good it did. They don't give the slightest poo poo what we think as long as they are running against KKK members in the general and no one in the primary.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Radish posted:

The Senate Democrats are a goddamn disaster. Is there a single decent one?

Hello fellow Virginian.

I called Warner regarding the CIA torturer for all the fat good it did. They don't give the slightest poo poo what we think as long as they are running against KKK members in the general and no one in the primary.

Washington actually

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

There are people who are coming to the conclusion that simply voting harder isn't going to fix the institutional and ecological clusterfuck of the world.

Voting, while important and good, is not the end-all, be-all of political participation. And it isn't harmful to have good faith doubts and criticisms of the Democrats or any elected official.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Washington actually

Weird how those descriptions seem fairly ubiquitous these days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

If the Democratic Party is not going to be serious about climate change then yes, voting is actually pointless. It won't make a difference who we vote for if the outcome is not "deal with climate change, right now." It's that simple. That is the state of the world thanks to our carbon emission output. Them signalling that they want to put Joe loving Manchin anywhere near climate change policy is them announcing that they don't give a gently caress about climate change.

I was hoping it was just like 1 or 2 of the most-senior people that were going along with this but no, it kind of is all of the D senators, save for one anonymous detractor who said "we should give him a chance anyway"

I guess the best we can hope for is for it to not matter in the short-term while the (hopeful) new select committee in the House drafts some good legislation. Then somehow Manchin's committee gets bypassed or something?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I have a lot of strong negative feelings about the idea of not voting, but somehow these people need to feel their power threatened. I don’t know how to do that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the Senate is unwilling to violate seniority for committee ever then I think we have our answer for whether Manchin is better than generic republican replacement

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Eeyo posted:

I was hoping it was just like 1 or 2 of the most-senior people that were going along with this but no, it kind of is all of the D senators, save for one anonymous detractor who said "we should give him a chance anyway"

I guess the best we can hope for is for it to not matter in the short-term while the (hopeful) new select committee in the House drafts some good legislation. Then somehow Manchin's committee gets bypassed or something?

I keep adjusting my expectations downward hoping that I will find a point where they can't disappoint me anymore and somehow they keep managing to top themselves.

Jealous Cow posted:

I have a lot of strong negative feelings about the idea of not voting, but somehow these people need to feel their power threatened. I don’t know how to do that.

:shrug: I'm going to become a dues paying member of the DSA once I'm not broke anymore, assuming the economy doesn't crash before then and I'm not hosed. But the DSA is still mostly focused on electoralism.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I wonder how she came to this bizarre conclusion...

She's married to Joe Kraft, President and CEO of Alliance Resource Partners, the third-largest coal producer in the eastern United States.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twice burned ice posted:

Voting is something rich people have the privilege of doing and gently caress you for advocating for an undemocratic and elitist form of governance

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m intensely interested in seeing the general reaction to the first time AOC does something to disappoint people.

this already happened before

we still love her

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Screaming at them in restaurants and public places is a good start.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

twice burned ice posted:

I no longer scold my :airquote:low info:airquote: friends for not voting. In fact I sometimes admit that maybe they’re right, especially friends in Manchin-producing states.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Democrats loving blow for acting like the 'clean coal' fan from WV is a legitimate option to head a committee on climate change.

But literally the only way to prevent it, within the current system, is to vote out Democrats who don't take climate change seriously.

Unless you're going to skip voting to go do some ecoterrorism, not voting to oust the democrats who don't take climate change seriously serves only to empower the very people you're pissed at.

I just cannot, cannot, cannot wrap my head around going 'this has made me so mad that I'm gonna refuse to vote!'

Phi230 posted:

Voting is something rich people have the privilege of doing and gently caress you for advocating for an undemocratic and elitist form of governance

:lol:

This is some top-shelf dumbassery, even for you, phi

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

I just cannot, cannot, cannot wrap my head around going 'this has made me so mad that I'm gonna refuse to vote!'

If the Democratic candidate doesn't take climate change seriously, who am I supposed to vote for?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Carlson is a white nationalist and Trump hasn't quite ushered in a white ethnostate yet, so of course Tucker's disappointed.

<-- lol hit a little too close to home, did I Shimrra?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twice burned ice posted:

Democrats loving blow for acting like the 'clean coal' fan from WV is a legitimate option to head a committee on climate change.

But literally the only way to prevent it, within the current system, is to vote out Democrats who don't take climate change seriously.

Unless you're going to skip voting to go do some ecoterrorism, not voting to oust the democrats who don't take climate change seriously serves only to empower the very people you're pissed at.

So what is your strategy to vote out 96% of democrats? Who have the money and power and infrastructure to keep winning?

Voting will not save you and in fact people like you who demand you vote and do literally nothing else are gonna get us all killed

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is Fox sanctioned testing of waters

Do you think Fox is dipping their toe in the water in anticipation of possibly cutting him loose?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Giggy posted:

If the Democratic candidate doesn't take climate change seriously, who am I supposed to vote for?

Their primary opponent.

Phi230 posted:

So what is your strategy to vote out 96% of democrats? Who have the money and power and infrastructure to keep winning?

Voting will not save you and in fact people like you who demand you vote and do literally nothing else are gonna get us all killed

Yes, I very specifically said vote and only vote and don't do anything else. Definitely don't join an advocacy group or take personal action.

Wait, I didn't say any of that. Good try though!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

twice burned ice posted:

manchin's safe for 6 years, and voting hard in 2020 won't stop him being in charge of dealing with climate change

what's #votebluenomatterwho going to do to fix climate change when we have a big roadblock named manchin put in there by the dems themselves?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

If that's your attitude LK, you may as well give up on activism anyway. Because if democrats don't win, it is 100% guaranteed that no decent climate policy will be implemented and thus all your campaigning is futile.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

Their primary opponent.

What if they lose? Or, what if there isn't a challenger?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Phi230 posted:

What do you suggest otherwise?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Condiv posted:

manchin's safe for 6 years, and voting hard in 2020 won't stop him being in charge of dealing with climate change

what's #votebluenomatterwho going to do to fix climate change when we have a big roadblock named manchin put in there by the dems themselves?

You vote out the Dems who put him there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twice burned ice posted:

Their primary opponent.

Yes, I very specifically said vote and only vote and don't do anything else.

Wait, no I didn't. Good try though!

So a study came out and showed that democratic governance is completely disconnected from the will of liberal voters

how do you suggest that this systemic issue with our democracy be magically fixed overnight? Just vote you say? In the primaries? Oh if its so easy then why hasn't your strategy worked yet?