Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
do you think yoko still does heroin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i don’t think that’s how it works anymore

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Hahahahaha this is master level

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This is a good poster

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Degrees are worthless

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol everything they say is projection

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/ehhh_what/status/1070726813612163074?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Johngcole/status/1070767887168782336

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lancemantis posted:

i always love Scandinavian racism because its like US cosmopolitan liberal racism cranked to 11

All Scandinavians are like, 2 speeches away from covering themselves in sig runes and race rioting

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the tweeter's handle precisely explains my feelings towards their tweet

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spergin Morlock posted:

Ellen Page would have been an actual recent example.

eh?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

she’s gay

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

It seems like she hasn't been getting roles at the same level since she came out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

He was incredible on Difficult People. Really going to miss that show.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/mgranville1/status/1070493239625560069

https://twitter.com/mgranville1/status/1070407107898417152

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AoC and Bernie, sitting on a panel, K I S S I N G

I am a very serious liberal and cannot be taken for a loving hack fraud

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

https://twitter.com/ColeEscola/status/1070754270113349634?s=19

Holy poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/patio11/status/1070875297283633153?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/710Life/status/1064266238661025792

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone please decode this for me.

I fear I I have not huffed nearly enough glue to understand it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Someone please decode this for me.

I fear I I have not huffed nearly enough glue to understand it.

pointing out that engineers behave the way they do due to a lack of taking ethics courses is discrimination because it sets them apart from all the other courses that oblige do include ethics courses, and it's also classist because what if the engineers can't afford to take those ethics courses

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

pointing out that engineers behave the way they do due to a lack of taking ethics courses is discrimination because it sets them apart from all the other courses that oblige do include ethics courses, and it's also classist because what if the engineers can't afford to take those ethics courses

He's not even saying that last part, it's literally just that ethics are classist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I still can’t make heads or tails of

quote:

the problem with general education requirements is that there is a risk, however slight, that a student is awake during them, and as I was I can report that this is not what the academy has to say on the matter.

Is this “actually I myself took ethics classes and NO U”?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
and also nonsense. Engineering ethics courses in the curriculum are part of ABET certification for degree programs, so

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
Ethics are classist because they concern ways in which power should not be freely enjoyed without constraint by the upper class. Duh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
engineers are the way they are because they are typically directly rewarded for performing fraud waste & abuse of government resources/their own employers resources/their employer's client's resources

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you need 'ethics class' in college to know how to behave it is already far too late for you I'm afraid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ethics classes I assume are considered to be 'here's what to pretend you believe'.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Usually they're about the specific legal rules the profession is expected to follow. Not learning actual mortality so much as learning what specifically they can get in trouble for.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

Usually they're about the specific legal rules the profession is expected to follow. Not learning actual mortality so much as learning what specifically they can get in trouble for.

roughly half of mine (required for all college of engineering degrees) was reading disaster reports, either hypothetical or from recent news, like the deepwater horizon explosion + subsequent spill, and having class discussions on who/what was at fault and thus legally liable. not much about like, is it morally acceptable to track everything a person does online in order to advertise to them

ethics courses are useless because when ethics or morals get in the way of profit the people in charge will always justify being monstrous

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Don't know about American engineers (presumably it varies from state to state too), but the ethics engineers get introduced to in Denmark are in the vein of "everything is political (you can't just build a killer robot and absolve your guilt by claiming you merely designed the navigation system)". Whether that would ever discourage killer robot builders from becoming that I don't know.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's confusing because "engineer" is often used to describe a weird computer toucher and not an actual licensed PE.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

roughly half of mine (required for all college of engineering degrees) was reading disaster reports, either hypothetical or from recent news, like the deepwater horizon explosion + subsequent spill, and having class discussions on who/what was at fault and thus legally liable. not much about like, is it morally acceptable to track everything a person does online in order to advertise to them

ethics courses are useless because when ethics or morals get in the way of profit the people in charge will always justify being monstrous

Being able to justify anything by arguing for the result they want? What a bunch of Kants.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't know about American engineers (presumably it varies from state to state too), but the ethics engineers get introduced to in Denmark are in the vein of "everything is political (you can't just build a killer robot and absolve your guilt by claiming you merely designed the navigation system)". Whether that would ever discourage killer robot builders from becoming that I don't know.

I think this works in Denmark because it wasn’t a major colonial power. if we applied this logic in America it would inevitably go towards “well then are railroad engineers responsible for the genocide of Native Americans?” and etc and nobody wants that in the US.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/pereouest101/status/1070879624534601728?s=19

not all CEOs

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pirate Radar posted:

I think this works in Denmark because it wasn’t a major colonial power. if we applied this logic in America it would inevitably go towards “well then are railroad engineers responsible for the genocide of Native Americans?” and etc and nobody wants that in the US.

the answer is yes ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Harlan/status/1...ingawful.com%2F