Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

Poltical action? Not at all. Advocacy and activism will only take you as far as creating the will to change the government. Voting is the only wa to actually effect that change. This is not a complex concept.

There's a ton of historical counterexamples to this in the USA, including basically every civil rights advance and successful antiwar movement but sure why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo why did you post a Doctoral thesis dude? Winning internet arguements isn't that important.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Per my programming. Nice. That’s brings to mind something currently going around the dregs of the Internet.
If you've got a beef with AOC supporters please engage that in something other than the most banally combative and dismissive way possible. Sorry my appraisal of your posting reminds you of an alt-right meme - I don't think you're literally an NPC just that you kinda suck :)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is kinda hard to say "primary them" when they have a machine and money behind them. the fault ultimately lies with manchin and the people enabling him, not the voters.

it'd take a miracle to primary someone like schumer despite him being the most useless dem by miles and miles.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twice burned ice posted:

Political expression? Agreed.

Poltical action? Not at all. Advocacy and activism will only take you as far as creating the will to change the government. Voting is the only wa to actually effect that change. This is not a complex concept.

Howard Zinn posted:

The Constitution gave no rights to working people: no right to work less than twelve hours a day, no right to a living wage, no right to safe working conditions. Workers had to organize, go on strike, defy the law, the courts, the police, create a great movement which won the eight-hour day, and caused such commotion that Congress was forced to pass a minimum wage law, and Social Security, and unemployment insurance.

all of the positive change that you benefit from is literally the direct result of activism, not voting. Even your precious democrats had to be forced to support things like the CRA and VRA

it was activists that forced the supreme court to rule for LGBT rights

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

Political expression? Agreed.

You could... gather a group of citizens, storm Congress and demand they pass legislation.

Your worship of the system has dulled your imagination.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Giggy posted:

I know you like to blame the 2010 midterms, but Obama's climate policy was milquetoast and they couldn't even agree on poo poo like cap and trade.

His policies were weak when his mandate was strong.

e: actually as has been pointed out above, his policies were actively harmful when it came to oil drilling. Remember when BP destroyed the Gulf of Mexico.

Hey now, let's be fair here. Obama actually drastically reduced the carbon emissions of all the civilians he killed with drones. Weddings and children that were going to contribute greenhouse gases to the atmosphere were instead turned into atmosphere cooling airborn particulate.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Hey now, let's be fair here. Obama actually drastically reduced the carbon emissions of all the civilians he killed with drones. Weddings and children that were going to contribute greenhouse gases to the atmosphere were instead turned into atmosphere cooling airborn particulate.

Fewer drone strikes on people more drone strikes on cattle.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Giggy posted:

Fewer drone strikes on people more drone strikes on cattle.

Wow, what the hell did cows do to you? If we're going to get rid of cows to reduce emissions we should euthanize them humanely. :mad:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is kinda hard to say "primary them" when they have a machine and money behind them. the fault ultimately lies with manchin and the people enabling him, not the voters.

it'd take a miracle to primary someone like schumer despite him being the most useless dem by miles and miles.

Schumer is worse than useless. Because of his position he is actively bad. Dude is doing way more damage than some worthless seat filler.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Jesus gently caress, NYT
https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1070495270813745152

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thrad is getting kinda dark and want to remind everyone that poltics also exists at state, county, and city levels, like you can try to make good in your local area.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Lightning Knight posted:

It seems quite likely that climate change policy won't happen if Democrats do win so in this context you're probably right, electoral activism may be pointless!

"Nothing matters" posting is just as bad when it comes from you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

thrad is getting kinda dark and want to remind everyone that poltics also exists at state, county, and city levels, like you can try to make good in your local area.

we're facing an apocalyptic scenario and even the vast majority of the politicians that accept that climate change is occurring and our fault don't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Wow, what the hell did cows do to you? If we're going to get rid of cows to reduce emissions we should euthanize them humanely. :mad:

Look LK, we have 12 years to end climate change and I don't think this kind of identity politics is going to be helpful.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whatever man even the illusion that youre doing something good before you die in a wave of lava is better than cowering and nazi piece of poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Booourns posted:

That's only nothing matters posting if you think electoralism is everything

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Booourns posted:

What if, and hear me out here because this is crazy, the problem isn't that we're mad the Democrats are doing really lovely things, the problem is that the Democrats are doing really lovely things?

I would personally like to live in a world where billions of people don't die or are displaced by global warming and it does not seem like Democrats in office agree. This is Bad.

Giggy posted:

Look LK, we have 12 years to end climate change and I don't think this kind of identity politics is going to be helpful.

Be nice to animals god dammit! :argh: The poor cows didn't ask to be bred into a state where they can't live without human intervention.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

PhazonLink posted:

whatever man even the illusion that youre doing something good before you die in a wave of lava is better than cowering and nazi piece of poo poo.

And if you can't do something good, at least do something spiteful. Like convince Danny Tarkanian to keep running for office but make sure he never wins over and over again until his wife is in an asylum.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

Nah just have a huge loving BBQ.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Taint posted:

Nah just have a huge loving BBQ.

Euthanizing the cows humanely does not seem mutually exclusive with having a huge loving BBQ to me. :colbert:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I really do enjoy all the crimes adjacent people and their inability to ever shut up

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1070822971919470592

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

Euthanizing the cows humanely does not seem mutually exclusive with having a huge loving BBQ to me. :colbert:

Fair enough.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Fewer euthanization of prisoners more euthanization for cows.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Giggy posted:

Fewer euthanization of prisoners more euthanization for cows.

Cows are tastier anyway.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lightning Knight posted:

well ...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
euthanize me captain

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I would personally like to live in a world where billions of people don't die or are displaced by global warming and it does not seem like Democrats in office agree. This is Bad.

The US political system is garbage and is skewed heavily towards people who literally want to crop dust the entire ocean with styrofoam peanuts. This isn't really the Democrats fault and Democrats are far more likely to enact better environmental policies.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Phi230 posted:

euthanize me captain

Everyone, I give you the Democratic Party's 2020 presidential nominee.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The US political system is garbage and is skewed heavily towards people who literally want to crop dust the entire ocean with styrofoam peanuts. This isn't really the Democrats fault and Democrats are far more likely to enact better environmental policies.

Wait, what do you mean when you say it isn't their fault...

Giggy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 7, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
[quote="VideoGameVet" post="490490166"]
well ...

Counterpoint: Scott Adams is a megachud and I'm proud of the fact he blocked me on Twitter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fart Amplifier posted:

while true, like i said before most of them don't seem to grasp the gravity of what we're facing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fart Amplifier posted:

I mean I don't really think "it's not their fault" flies here. They could keep Manchin out of that seat, they just don't want to. If you want to argue that their reasoning is good for doing so then ok I guess but I think their reasoning is garbage considering what the stakes are.

Again, we have to reorganize the entire world economy in the next decade or so, or billions of people are going to suffer and die. We're already on track for untold damage and human costs. There is no "we have to be realistic and do what can be passed" anymore, it's do or die.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/1070783618937749504

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

gently caress you.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

gently caress, just sell it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

Again, we have to reorganize the entire world economy in the next decade or so, or billions of people are going to suffer and die. We're already on track for untold damage and human costs. There is no "we have to be realistic and do what can be passed" anymore, it's do or die.

It's actually probably "do and shitloads of people die" regardless, but I fervently believe that the number of people likely to die is far higher with Republicans in power than Democrats.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's actually probably "do and shitloads of people die" regardless, but I fervently believe that the number of people likely to die is far higher with Republicans in power than Democrats.

I mean, ok. That is cold comfort to the global poor who will suffer the brunt of this cost but I guess I can't argue with this since it's probably technically correct.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fart Amplifier posted:

too bad you and I will be the ones to die in either situation. but i hope that your belief that the dems will kill less people keeps your bones company

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Guze posted:

I really do enjoy all the crimes adjacent people and their inability to ever shut up

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1070822971919470592

Uh, I don't get it. What's incendiary about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, ok. That is cold comfort to the global poor who will suffer the brunt of this cost but I guess I can't argue with this since it's probably technically correct.

I guess I view this as the option most likely to succeed. Relentless pressure on democrats in the senate and house, plus electing as many of them as possible since they are the only ones who would ever be sympathetic.