Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not doom and glooming yet but if prime only needs money to get in, mm may be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Also the battle royale mode sucks, got 3rd place my first match by hiding and only getting 2 kills because that's how you win battle royale it's loving boring. Update is poo poo

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

feelix posted:

Uh they had to pay 15 bucks before as well. Were you really just able to use a Google Voice number? I didn't realize those could receive texts. Either way, no matter how simple, it's one less step for people to be able to be matched with me, and that sucks.

Google Voice wouldn't work for prime, unfortunately for me neither did my really cheap budget phone service, even though it had all the features needed, so I'm really glad to finally have full prime now! That being said, the new game mode isn't working great for me, it's crashed on me after maybe 5 minutes each time I've tried it. The steam forums seem to be saying it's an AMD gpu issue, which I'm using, so rip.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just played a match. Mode's kinda fun, fast and not clunky poo poo like PUBG.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Glad I'm now getting matched in MM with people who have brand new accounts, no mics and almost certainly didn't have prime before

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicObliviousHareJKanStyle

https://mobile.twitter.com/archcsgo/status/1070810223756099587

SHITTERS FULL

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

did enough of the new mode for the free skin but probably won't play it any more, not really into battle royales

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
AMD cards crash constantly, crouch jump is mega hosed, game is now free and set to be swarmed with cheaters, new BR mode is half-baked as gently caress. Also new nade sound is kind of rear end.

All in all the exact sort of poo poo I expect from whoever is the "dev" for this game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

As a good bonus, FaceIT AKA the only decent remaining place to play 5v5 and does not require Prime, is going to get completely hosed. Then, if you flee to MM, all previous non-Prime CS:GO players who are probably cheating now got upgraded to Prime for free so MM is also ruined even if you have Prime enabled. Played two games post update and both had cheaters, the second one 3-4 of the other team were walling and they weren't even queued together lmao

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

:stare:

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 7, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What happens to Faceit?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 7, 2018

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

You know what csgo really needs? A lovely 16 player “br” mode. Oh and let’s make it f2p.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

What happens to Faceit?

It has no barrier to entry other than owning a CS:GO account, which means that F2P players can sign up immediately and cheat, get banned, make another and sign up over and over. Doing so only tanks their Trust Factor for MM, assuming they don't bother to circumvent that.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
This is loving dumb. CSGO dev is DUMB

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I'm LE ranked and way too scared to play MM with all these free prime accounts, the BR mode looks fun to gently caress around with for a night or two though

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I always forget I have an AMD card until some game update starts making it reliably crash. And I was just thinking about getting into CS again after having not played it long enough to let my pathetic silver rank lapse.

Oh well, guess I should hold off until the dust settles. This whole update smacks of valve wringing all the juice they can get out of an aging game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Seems like a lot of folks' game won't launch now...including mine. Even reinstalled. Welp no BR for me tonight.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I have a 1080ti and like all sorts of other good poo poo and this danger close map feels wild choppy. Did they lower the tick rate even more for this battle royale thing?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

It seems like the game is working on AMD cards now, just played through my first match.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

mythadile posted:

How do I get this MP5 in the danger zone?

Answering my own question.

I played probably 8 rounds or so and received it. Top finish was #2.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

osker posted:

I have a 1080ti and like all sorts of other good poo poo and this danger close map feels wild choppy. Did they lower the tick rate even more for this battle royale thing?

I have a 1080 and am normally over 300 fps, but I can't even get 60 on the BR map. I think the way they determine what to render is done differently from most games and it sucks on huge open maps.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm enjoying cleaning up in the BR mode.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Watching people not be able too use angles in black site is hilarious. Like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Consequently its the only game mode I"m good at now and I hate BRS

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

I wish they would have mashed up all the comp maps together to make the BR thing.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Yo wtf do I do with my 600 effective dpi now that I gotta flick around like a headless chicken in a mode without radar.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

mcvey posted:

I wish they would have mashed up all the comp maps together to make the BR thing.

I had this fever dream last night as well, also I was running at 300fps.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Have they fixed this and the self boost stuff yet?

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've tried this grenade trick a million times and I cant repeat it I cant eve get it over the loving building.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Bohemian Nights posted:

Molly's yes, self boost i don't think so. They did just push a patch though so hopefully that might have done it.

E: looks like it's all fixed. Including a bug that didn't render smokes until you were in them lmao valve stop

E2: FaceIt danger zone with 128 tick servers, Elo, and better settings. https://blog.faceit.com/welcome-to-the-danger-zone-c0a98d2d37ea

mcvey fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 8, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much more does it actually cost to run 128 tick servers compared to 64? Is that a legit reason for Valve not to have 128 tick servers, or are they just absurdly stingy?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I reckon it's a cost vs. benefit thing. 128 ticks won't actually make that much of a difference. The average player will get the like 5% of frags they "should've" gotten, but also the 5% of deaths they "should've" gotten, and their results will remain basically unchanged. It matters more for really high level people (because competitive practice environmenh and what-not) but valve would have to do a lot more than just that to make match-making suitable for them, so might as well not be bothered.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I only play on 256 tick servers

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's for both cost and consistency. The game is 6+ years old now, and when the decision was made, there was a significant proportion of players who couldn't sustain 128 FPS or whose internet was not fast enough to ideally handle the necessary 128 clientside rates. That is undoubtedly still true in a lot of places like Brazil, Russia etc. Players with worse internet/specs would be pretty disadvantaged on 128 tick.

As said, the difference between 64 and 128 is not gigantic, especially not for the vast majority of players who will not notice the difference and probably don't even know what tickrate is.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if it's f2p now does that mean someone is going to start working on a full source2 port probably not

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

did enough of the new mode for the free skin but probably won't play it any more, not really into battle royales

:same:

i thought it was fun though, if i want to play for 15 minutes i might do this

e: i like the map too

ArmedZombie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 8, 2018

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ArmZ posted:

:same:

i thought it was fun though, if i want to play for 15 minutes i might do this

e: i like the map too

Same honestly. And then you get into the advanced poo poo like peeking and using the drone upgrade to scout folks out. Though it does feel like the buyable weapons are also the only ones on the map at this point, save for melees and supply drops.

Also jesus you're strapped for lead at all times.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

widespread posted:

Same honestly. And then you get into the advanced poo poo like peeking and using the drone upgrade to scout folks out. Though it does feel like the buyable weapons are also the only ones on the map at this point, save for melees and supply drops.

Also jesus you're strapped for lead at all times.

Someone on the CS reddit pointed out that you can actually punch people's guns out of their hands, too.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

xsf421 posted:

Someone on the CS reddit pointed out that you can actually punch people's guns out of their hands, too.

You can and it sucks when you find both a gun and an unarmed player.

Unrelated, but due to my bad aim I lost a fight to an unarmed dude while I had a Tec-9. He didnt Fist me to death, either.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So basically my BR experience has been actively trying to find people and dying repestedly or camping somewhere and getting kills but dying in the last few minutes.

It is very middle of the road for me. I dont like solo efforts as Im more of a support guy but maybe duo/trio will be more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I'm honestly enjoying it as a side game. Has some simple solutions to a lot of problems I have with BR games overall. Map is smaller, so I can actually find people, the tablet highlights where people are, solving the hunt problem even sooner, and I can buy gear if I don't find anything, and money's been easy enough to get that I can usually get a pistol at least, solving the "Everything I find is a melee weapon" problem.