Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Thump! posted:

So it turns out you can make it through about a third of PSYOP Selection before you get psyche dropped for having the sadbrains :(

It was a pretty fun course while I was in it though. Camp MacKall is a gently caress.

Sorry they got you on the sad brains. It seems like that’s what gets the vast majority. It also makes you a NTR for all of the ARSOF courses unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

psydude posted:

In a high school history class, I remember reading an archived film review of Gallipoli from when it debuted in threatres in Australia. The critic said after that scene, when the lights came on, the entire audience just sat there in silence with :stare: on their faces.

That’s what it was like when I went to see Saving Private Ryan. Nobody moved or talked during the credits. When the lights came on it was silent other than some muffled crying. Nobody moved for about 5 seconds after the lights came on and then people quietly started to make their way out.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder what would happen if they got rid of infantry contracts and instead took volunteers at the end of bootcamp with bottom 25% rifle scores and fitness being ineligble

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That’s what it was like when I went to see Saving Private Ryan. Nobody moved or talked during the credits. When the lights came on it was silent other than some muffled crying. Nobody moved for about 5 seconds after the lights came on and then people quietly started to make their way out.

The ending of the Talvisota (the Winter War) movie is also like this, and while I was too young to see it in the movies the reaction in the group I watched it in was along those lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RVuIbNJG0 (4:22:00 ->)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The ending for the german movie Stalingrad that came out in 1993 hosed me up so hard. In the end, I guess it was a good movie but I can't even really think about watching it, far less watch it again. It hosed me up in my teenange years, and still causes anxiety.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 5, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vahakyla posted:

The ending for the german movie Stalingrad that came out in 1993 hosed me up so hard. In the end, I guess it was a good movie but I can't even really think about watching it, far less watch it again. It hosed me up in my teenange years, and still causes anxiety.

It was the first and only movie my parents had hidden from my sister and me that we still looked for and found. After watching it, the both of us had shell-shocked blank stares and we never dug through our parents poo poo for VHS tapes anymore.

That scene in the field hospital hosed us up proper

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Retired July 1998. :corsair:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MightyJoe36 posted:

Retired July 1998. :corsair:

:stare:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Had one of those horrible dreams last night.

I'm due to get some huge promotion/award and I can't get my dress uniform together and I'm missing pieces of it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

That loving movie

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The loving Army Navy game...

Never have I hated the West Point assholes in my unit more than for this loving bullshit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You're dumb. Navy's dumb. I had a sheltered upbringing. The Army's team.

-x12345567

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Go football team huuah

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Schindler's List was the first movie I remember crying at the end. The scene with the rocks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So the Army made us all get the small pox vaccine.

PFC medic is administering it. Of course he doesn't bother to tell you anything about it. Like that he's going to stab you 15 times or how to take care of it. Had to Google how to take care of it.

Having any of the medics other than the 2 SSGs treating me is kind of terrifying.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
don't scratch it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

So the Army made us all get the small pox vaccine.

PFC medic is administering it. Of course he doesn't bother to tell you anything about it. Like that he's going to stab you 15 times or how to take care of it. Had to Google how to take care of it.

Having any of the medics other than the 2 SSGs treating me is kind of terrifying.

Hahahaha, wow.

We got a whole big scaremongering brief including examples and gross photos of people who poked the vaccine site it then poked their eye with infected area goo on their finger.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mlmp08 posted:

Hahahaha, wow.

We got a whole big scaremongering brief including examples and gross photos of people who poked the vaccine site it then poked their eye with infected area goo on their finger.

yup

we had immigrants in our company, they had to get double stabs :(

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It does itch but it's mild enough that I haven't had any issues not touching it.

Worst part is my lymph nodes on that side of my body being swollen as they fight the infection. And the flu like symptoms.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i was literally in line in korea in 2003 when they announced it was now optional for anthrax

we had the entire battalion out there

people that had last names up till like, h all got loving owned

late letter supremacy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Anthrax shot 1 sucks, but after that, boosters didn't really mess me up.

I think I got Shot 1 or 1 and 2 of one of the three-shot Hep series like 5 times because they kept loving up and not having shot 3 on hand, or doing it at the wrong time or some crap. Finally got it one day!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah i got MMR done like, four times? every time i changed units they were just like 'lol whatever here you go' like i don't think they even looked at my shot record before trying

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i got 2 anthrax shots before it became optional

we had 5 people drummed out for refusing it before our deployment

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Apparently our PA was like "we have to give them the small pox vaccine? That's dumb. No one's going to take care of it right."

Then proceeds to not be there while it's being administered or doing anything to ensure the formation is well informed about the vaccine.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
lol some kid is going to show up to PT with pus filled scabs all over his eyes on monday

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I got the smallpox vaccine in 03, and then the booster in 15.

My first one was oozing and gross. The second one barely made a little red spot.

I guess it works.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I still have my smallpox scar. It's a little discolored spot where no hair grows.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I didn't get smallpox because apparently if you have any eczema in your history and you get the smallpox vaccine, it can straight gently caress you up hardcore.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Rat posted:

I didn't get smallpox because apparently if you have any eczema in your history and you get the smallpox vaccine, it can straight gently caress you up hardcore.

Same except it wasn’t eczema. The unit came out of the field literally the evening before morning screening.

A bunch of us had field condition related scrapes, cuts, acne, etc and were exempted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The smallpox vaccine you get today is different than one from 2003. I along with 3 other goons were a part of an involuntary clinical trial for a new type of smallpox vaccine in 2007. Another goon here posted about it a while back and I dug into it to confirm.

I think I got 3 anthrax shots total. We had one dude on the ship refuse to get any anthrax shots but didn’t get chaptered for it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this was like Jul 04

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure I got the first 2 shots of the anthrax series, they lost the paperwork, and started over. Got 2 more shots, and then it became optional and I said gently caress it.

Thanks Army!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah it was like August 05 for me.

gently caress we're all getting old.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My intern wasn't alive when the towers fell.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

My intern wasn't alive when the towers fell.

Your intern is 17?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yes

early graduation + early admission + DoD internship

it legit made me kinda upset

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You betta learn that kid real gud

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"One day, son, all of this -"

*sweeps arm*

"- will be paid for by your tax dollars."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Tell that kid to enlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Tell that kid to enlist

Just make sure to throw this at them first