Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

This is horrifying and I have several questions.

Did... did the previous owner install that setup themselves, or did they get a contractor to build the secret prison cell? I can’t imagine that’s up to code so I’m guessing it was a DIY job, but even then it should have come up when they had the home inspected during the buying process, right?
No idea on the origin, but I'm trying to think back and it might have been a short staircase to a non-primary-living area that didn't need to be code compliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
That is certainly a grim story. How about we lighten the mood? Where’s that thread by the Goon going into great detail about living with his micro-peen?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

GWBBQ posted:

Cross posting my response from that thread

100% serious post. One of my friends moved into an apartment with a setup like this when she got married, and the bottom half of the staircase retracted when you flipped a switch in the kitchen. When they bought the place, it was billed as a wine cellar, and they used it to store off-season stuff as they were both outdoorsy-types and it was nice to have a place in the apartment to store kayaks, camping gear, and the like. She and her husband were concerned about the fact that there was no apparent way to get out if you accidentally got locked in there, and I told them I would be glad to wire up a three-way switch so there was a way to get out in case someone accidentally got stuck.

If you're feeling a sense of dread, you exactly where this is going; they looked up records on the property and the previous owner defaulted on the lease after being convicted on multiple counts of sexually assaulting minors (multiple victims, not multiple counts with one victim) and charges of kidnapping and false imprisonment.

haha wow thanks for this light hearted romp of a journey, without so much as a spoiler tag or a heads up you awful piece of poo poo

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That is certainly a grim story. How about we lighten the mood? Where’s that thread by the Goon going into great detail about living with his micro-peen?

It's in here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Would you say that he put it under a microscope, so to speak?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Ayyyy lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

haha wow thanks for this light hearted romp of a journey, without so much as a spoiler tag or a heads up you awful piece of poo poo

what

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Next time you’re in a polite conversation with someone immediately veer into a true story depicting a horrific crime that might provoke a trauma response and see how the other party responds.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i see you have been on a date with me before

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Next time you’re in a polite conversation with someone immediately veer into a true story depicting a horrific crime that might provoke a trauma response and see how the other party responds.

I just tried this and they mostly seemed concerned about who I am and how I got into their house, they didn’t really have much to say about the gruesome crime story. Not really sure what the point of this exercise was, to be honest with you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

I'm all for trigger/content warnings but you are on the Something Awful foru,ms in a thread for the most insane and hosed up parts of the site's history to boot.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm all for trigger/content warnings but you are on the Something Awful foru,ms in a thread for the most insane and hosed up parts of the site's history to boot.

Dude's an 04 too. They should know better by now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno. its kinda of a supportive and nice dead gay location on the information superhighway now

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

El_Elegante posted:

This is a hell of an overreaction for something that starts its reveal with "if you're feeling a sense of dread". Maybe you're just bad at context?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WARNING: you are on the internet

Notable sites to avoid if you are triggered by stories about terrible things happening to people:
Every news site
Every site that discusses the news
Every site with a comments section

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

food court bailiff posted:

This is a hell of an overreaction for something that starts its reveal with "if you're feeling a sense of dread". Maybe you're just bad at context?

“If you’re feeling a sense of dread” could precede a reveal of

-“my roommate made fecal lasagna”
-“my roommate stored a lot of urine in bottles”
-“this room featured a lot of amputated doll heads”

In most of those cases few people would find the subsequent reveal to be all that upsetting. I hope you are not so broke brained that you cannot fathom the difference between the above examples and OPs sudden veering into Croatian horror.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

In most of those cases few people would find the subsequent reveal to be all that upsetting. I hope you are not so broke brained that you cannot fathom the difference between the above examples and OPs sudden veering into Croatian horror.

-"this room was most likely used to kidnap people"

Only one of these sounds like a reasonable source of dread in the context of "we found a hidden room under the stairs with no exit from inside"

I hope you are not so broke brained that you cannot fathom the difference between the 4 choices.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

how in the world have you been on this website for 15 years

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I'm glad your chosen examples were 3 weird/gross things and not:

-lost kids to CPS due to obsessive hobby
-compulsive hoarders
-"I invited a goon to stay with me and he sexually assaulted me and many other goons"

Or any of the other dozen stories of real potentially trauma-inducing events.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

El_Elegante posted:

If one sentence of an unverified fourth-hand story - no matter how atrocious - makes you this upset, I think you have serious coping issues it's not fair to ask other people to tiptoe around.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Space Camp fuckup posted:

how in the world have you been on this website for 15 years

:regd04: amirite

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

drat dude nws that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m all for warning people before dropping something on them that could ruin their day. That being said, I dunno man. That was a pretty dry description of a real thing that happened. It’s not like they went into intimate detail speculating on exactly what happened in that secret room.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe dont let your imagination run wild with implications man. kick that stupid brain right in the dick pal.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

El_Elegante posted:

GWBBQ's post seemed a fairly matter-of-fact sounding and relevant anecdote. I'm sorry that it provoked that reaction, though. If you need an ear (er... pair of eyes?) my PMs are always open.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Jun 19, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

El_Elegante posted:

Croatian horror.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I am genuinely curious how you would CW that story. "Description of a method of holding people against their will?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The only Croation horror I can think of is Sweaty Fatbeard’s posting history.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I am genuinely curious how you would CW that story. "Description of a method of holding people against their will?"

“Mention of sexual assault of a minor” I suppose. Although, that CW contains pretty much the sum total of the objectionable content within the post itself.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The only Croation horror I can think of is Sweaty Fatbeard’s posting history.

I think they might have been attempting to reference that one disgusti g Serbian film, which may actually be called a Serbian film

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I think they might have been attempting to reference that one disgusti g Serbian film, which may actually be called a Serbian film

Croatia / Serbia. They're the same, all Baltics.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd like to request that we not continue to tease El_Elegante about their request, if that's okay. As I said, the request is slightly over-alert to stimuli, but I think it would be nice not to needle them about it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd like to request that we not continue to tease El_Elegante about their request, if that's okay. As I said, the request is slightly over-alert to stimuli, but I think it would be nice not to needle them about it.

Jesus Christ, I have a serious phobia of n--dles, could you NOT?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jesus Christ, I have a serious phobia of n--dles, could you NOT?

Time for some exposure therapy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jobson groeth posted:

Croatia / Serbia. They're the same, all Baltics.

Didn't they fight an ugly, genocidal civil war over not all being the same?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Come now, that was all the way in Foreignia, what business is it of ours what the Others are doing?

...do they have oil?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think that was the Balkans, up near Poland and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jobson groeth posted:

I think that was the Balkans, up near Poland and stuff.

No, I do believe I'm right

Read about some of that in a foreign correspondent's memoirs. Messed up stuff.