Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Toona the Cat posted:

The best fictional lawyer is Uncle Phil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ActusRhesus posted:

The thing is... Atticus is kind of a lovely lawyer. Just saying. Hi. I’m a small town trusts and estates guy. Lemme jump right into this capital murder trial a week before evidence. It’s kind of the definition of malpractice.

Back in the 50's it's not like he needed to prep expert testimony on semen or blood. He knew the whole case was based on the word of a white girl with a horrible racist father where the evidence circumstantially proved that Tom couldn't have done it. There were what, 4 witnesses in the whole trial? Only 3 of which had personal knowledge (and 2 of those 3 were making poo poo up).

I'm guessing they didn't have depos in 1950 Alabama criminal cases. Otherwise that's the real miracle.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Back in the 50's it's not like he needed to prep expert testimony on semen or blood. He knew the whole case was based on the word of a white girl with a horrible racist father where the evidence circumstantially proved that Tom couldn't have done it. There were what, 4 witnesses in the whole trial? Only 3 of which had personal knowledge (and 2 of those 3 were making poo poo up).

I'm guessing they didn't have depos in 1950 Alabama criminal cases. Otherwise that's the real miracle.

30s.
What is this depos in criminal cases stuff?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

joat mon posted:

30s.
What is this depos in criminal cases stuff?

Iowa is one of 4(?) states that lets Defendants call for depos of State's witnesses in ALL indictable charges, including misdemeanors (basically anything punishable by more than 30 days in jail).

If the Defendant asks for depos of even 1 State witness, the defense must disclose all of their witnesses and the State can then depose the Defense witnesses. If they don't disclose their witnesses, they are barred from using them. Notably, either side can also file a subpoena duces tecum, forcing the witness to bring documents or other items with them to the depo, and they may not use any items that were requested and not disclosed.

It makes trial prep take FOREVER but I do agree with the practice on the basis of fairness.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 6, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pook Good Mook posted:

All I’m saying is first chairing a capital homicide isn’t the best way to cut your teeth on crim law.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There's something to be said for a cannonball into the deep end.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We read that book in High School, and I recall that the takeaway was, "Pre civil rights south was a terrible place, aren't you glad things are all fixed now?" not "Atticus Finch is a great lawyer. "

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
As your attorney I advise you to take a hit from the little brown bottle in my shaving kit

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Poppers are for the bottom Phil.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2018/18-1233.B.OPN.pdf

:eyepop:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Just having a normal one posting from one of my 5 pseudonyms on the nola.com message boards. I thought prosecutors were supposed to be aware of how easy it is to track this kind of idiotic behavior?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Does each pseudonym help with a different kind of stress?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Jackass.

I mean. I troll the gently caress out of local papers. But I don’t touch any of the legal stories with a ten foot pole, even outside my jurisdiction. Because. You know. Ethics.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hoshi posted:

Does each pseudonym help with a different kind of stress?

Should have gone with the "Identity" (2003) defense!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm surprised yall didn't know that case, I remembered the bridge shooters getting a retrial due to it. Surprised he got disbarred

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I remember this poo poo breaking while I was in law school there and on my way out. What a dumbass.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Toona the Cat posted:

High five Toona

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Actually saw him in a stage production of Romeo and Juliet at TheaterWorks LA. Solid work. I hate that play. But solid work.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Where does Toona fit on the list of fictional lawyers

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

EwokEntourage posted:

Where does Toona fit on the list of fictional lawyers

Toona isn’t a lawyer soooooo....

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Toona isn’t a lawyer soooooo....

Shut the gently caress UP DON'T DQ MY DEAR SWEET CHARLIE

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Judge Engelhardt clearly found the conduct of ActusRhesus to be intentional. Judge
Engelhardt found ActusRhesus “viewed posting of highly-opinionated comments regarding habeas corpus petitioners on the 'Something Awful' internet message board as a ‘public service.’" The district court also found that the fact that the government’s
actions, including ActusRhesus's actions, were conducted anonymously made “it all the more egregious, and forces the Court, the defendants, and the public into an indecent game of ‘catch-me-if-you-can.’”

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

is that a thinly veiled doxx threat? Because it kind of reads like one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh please.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You’re not denying it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

Lady you've already loving doxxed yourself as t least twice and none of us have come for you yet

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the phrase "an indecent game of catch me if you can" should be reserved for more fun activities than posting on the internet

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Thiugh the various Voxii are unsavoury characters so I appreciate yr conxern

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I've sworn to doxx the legendary furry attorney from the confessions thread if I ever have the opportunity, but everyone else is safe, except insofar as they have to suffer through my shitposting.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I've sworn to doxx the legendary furry attorney from the confessions thread if I ever have the opportunity, but everyone else is safe, except insofar as they have to suffer through my shitposting.

I mean... that’s legit.

Furries are a disease.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dan dargon

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I thought prosecutors were supposed to be aware of how easy it is to track this kind of idiotic behavior?

He's an old.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lol

REMEDIAL I SEEN YOUR DICK

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Furnok or Frank or someone else sent remdick via fax to Dan dargons law office every day until it shut down after he got disbarred

Goon heroes

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I'm surprised yall didn't know that case, I remembered the bridge shooters getting a retrial due to it. Surprised he got disbarred

Look, the dude has to deal with the scum of the earth day in and day out. Murders, rapists, thieves and liars. People who will run lives and destroy communities without the slightest whiff of compunction before or hint of remorse after.
That being said, what he did was still wrong. After all, even policemen deserve a fair trial.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You nerds waste a lot of breath arguing over who will place 2nd to noted aviary attorney, Harvey Birdman.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

You nerds waste a lot of breath arguing over who will place 2nd to noted aviary attorney, Harvey Birdman.

It's probably a bunch of loving boomers voting, it probably will end up being Clare Huxtable that wins it all

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Man, whatever happened to that guy?

Oh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

echopapa posted:

Man, whatever happened to that guy?

Oh.

From running your own practice to being an E4 in the military.

The army prob paid off all his student loans, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Mods, please change my named to "Henry L. Mencken1951"