Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The nuance required to express this thought doesn't exist in English. Not like in Japanese where you can say kudasai or onegai to express something that you should please do for your own sake, or something that you should please do for my benefit. What we have here is a kudasai situation. I can really only get the true meaning across here with bbcode:

Please don't gently caress cactuars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Spuzzz posted:

Ugh, I want to see how Eureka ends by I really don't want to bother with Pagos. I suppose there is always Youtube.

The best way to do Pagos is to go do the weekly challenge log in Anemos until you're level 32. Then just follow the NM train. You'll just have to farm some light/crystals as the end but you get past the hell part.

Pyros is delightful imo.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
It pains me that they think eureka is popular because I've never encountered anyone in game happy to be there. I'm sure there are some, but every time I've said gently caress this awful poo poo in party chat all the randos agree

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They probably think its popular cause for some reason dummies keep doing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Failboattootoot posted:

It pains me that they think eureka is popular because I've never encountered anyone in game happy to be there. I'm sure there are some, but every time I've said gently caress this awful poo poo in party chat all the randos agree

I mean

they have the numbers

it's popular

if people just didn't do it, then it wouldn't be popular. It'd be Diadem or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If people keep doing it, then it is popular. Things don't have to be good to be popular, in fact most popular things are bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, you don't even have to look past this thread for fuckwits that boosted those numbers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean clearly its bad to gently caress cactuars but you just have to look at this thread to see cactuar loving is inexplicably popular

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They found the secret: people will do any stupid thing if you attach the word "relic" to it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

They found the secret: people will do any stupid thing if you attach the word "relic" to it.
Heck, I did the full Yokai Watch hellgrind and that's easily as bad or worse than one and a half Eureka steps, and I didn't even get a relic out of it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Re-Lic my balls

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Heck, I did the full Yokai Watch hellgrind and that's easily as bad or worse than one and a half Eureka steps, and I didn't even get a relic out of it.

Same. But at least I got a glowing scooty puff Jr for my efforts, and I was able to do it at my own pace.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've consistently maxed every DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL every expansion, I did the Garo, and the Yokai, and the Relic, and three Anima, and I STILL won't loving touch Eureka, AND I've spent more time unsubbed this year than I have since started playing the game.

I worry FFXIV is becoming not the game for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

no, cause i also got like 60-70 levels of various classes out of that.

doing eureka just gives me some glowy weapons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you survived Yokai atma you are a grind elemental, and will conquer Eureka

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i couldn't even be bothered to get to elemental level 10, for yokai i was at least actively playing the game and getting tons of xp done while getting drops. in eureka i wasn't getting poo poo done nor getting drops for the first 10 levels, so i just stopped.

e: i know there's a challenge log now, but i'll just not play instead since it sounds like later areas are more of the same and worse at the same time somehow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just don't bother with Eureka. Maybe when they nerf it in SB (the upcoming SB, not the current SB) you might find it worth doing for the glamour.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The only reason I did Anemos was for relics, and I'm sure that's the only reason a lot of people went there or beyond. if they had not attached relics to it it would be as depopulated as they expected.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Honestly Eureka wouldn't be that godawful if they just added the thing that made FFXI tolerable, which was party level syncing. If i could sync down to someone else's level so i could do the drat hunting log without it being a goddamn nightmare i might actually bother doing pagos.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I would be doing the Eureka grind instead of the HW relic grind if I could loving mount in there, but I can only stand it for so long hoofing it. The mount unlock needs to be elemental level loving 1.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think I snagged 2 of the Yokai weapons. They were mostly pretty ugly and I've gotten my fill of Atmas. On the other hand, the Pyros effect is really neat.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cabbit posted:

I would be doing the Eureka grind instead of the HW relic grind if I could loving mount in there, but I can only stand it for so long hoofing it. The mount unlock needs to be elemental level loving 1.

Elemental level shouldn't even be a thing.

Ah? You want to grind? First you have to level up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Re-Lic my balls

Next relic weapon should be called Ligma.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone who likes Eureka has no soul.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
This fuckin' book lists the population of Dalmasca as
Hyur: 40%
Bangaa: 20%
Seeq: 10%
Viera: 5%
Other: 25%

Leader: Raminas B'nargin Dalmasca

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 7, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Lalafell are the most bullied race.

I'm assuming that other 25% is the other Ivalice races like Rev or Garif that most people don't bother to remember.

Spuzzz posted:

Ugh, I want to see how Eureka ends by I really don't want to bother with Pagos. I suppose there is always Youtube.

I've finished Pyros. Literally nothing interesting has happened at any point of this story.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 7, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't suppose anyone knows if someone has scanned the new encyclopedia and uploasded it as a PDF yet? Money is tight and I could use some reading material for work.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

What's a nice way to try to explain to newbie tanks that they shouldn't shield lob every pack to start a pull? While leveling my first healer to 70 I noticed how poo poo most tanks are at pulling, so sometimes I feel like handing out advice on how to pull. Of course unsolicited advice will always be taken as an attack, but maybe there's still a nice way to put it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've finished Pyros. Literally nothing interesting has happened at any point of this story.

I liked the character development for Krile.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Aether's party finder is a wild place at times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just tried playing with my 70 Summoner (which I hadn't played in a dungeon in a while, since I usually use Scholar), and I feel like it's not too hard to get the rotation mostly-correct. Like I'm sure I'm not optimizing everything (like always using my dots while the boss is under the effect of Contagion), but I think I'm at least doing mostly-okay against single-target stuff. The main issue I found myself running into was single-target damage against individual adds. I'm often unsure about whether it's worth using my dots manually on them (or whether I should use Tri-disaster at the risk of letting it fall off the boss), but Summoner single-target damage is pretty abyssmal if I don't have Dreadwyrm Trance up and I'm not using Fester (and I don't have full control over when Dreadwyrm Trance is up, so if an add that needs to be burned down appears I won't always be in a good position to deal heavy damage).

Summoner definitely feels like it has more "oomph" than Ninja, at least to me. Like, I "feel like I'm doing a lot of damage" when DWT or Bahamut are up and I'm nuking things, whereas with Ninja I just feel like I'm doing the occasional hard-hitting Ninki-fueled attack. I think the biggest difference is that melee DPS have a certain portion of their damage built into their regular attacks and main GCD rotation, while most of the caster's damage is coming from the spells.

As a side comment, the dungeon I just did (Kugane Castle) had one of the worst groups I've been in during the later-game (usually people are pretty reliable in this game, at least with the basics). The tank would constantly let mobs aggro party members and just...do nothing, even when the mobs were really big and obvious. I got targeted by a group-up indicator during one of the bosses and ran towards the rest of the party, none of whom made any effort to close the distance to me, causing me to get killed. Fortunately the healer was pretty good, so we still got through the dungeon okay.

Captain Cappy posted:

I love me the Cloth over Actual Armor look. Also did you tell them nice glams? Because that's very important.

I did! They bowed to me.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 7, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can someone remind me in what way Magnai's tribe was sexist? I remember it being used to make him unlikeable from the start, but it feels like it has not come up at all since then. It was something about making Lyse go milk some sheep instead of doing something more helpful...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They're bros with the Budugu clan, who only want Strong Men in their ranks and go out of their way to coerce/kidnap said dudes.

That's pretty much it as far as I can recall at this moment.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 7, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Captain Cappy posted:

Can someone remind me in what way Magnai's tribe was sexist? I remember it being used to make him unlikeable from the start, but it feels like it has not come up at all since then. It was something about making Lyse go milk some sheep instead of doing something more helpful...

They believe that unlike the rest of the Xaela, they are descended from shards of Azim, the Dawn Father. And they will each have a soulmate who is a descended from a shard of Nhaama. I haven't done their sidequests yet so I don't know beyond the MSQ stuff but Magnai stuff is rather creepy, tempered by him being comically inept and getting dunked on by everyone. Sure, there's equal opportunity creep in his tribe's traditional believe of each of them being owed a soulmate, and Magnai is the face of the tribe and no doubt emboldens the men to be more like him. Or not. Again, mostly coming off of MSQ and the sidequests probably shed some light on the attitudes of the rest of the tribe.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Captain Cappy posted:

What's a nice way to try to explain to newbie tanks that they shouldn't shield lob every pack to start a pull? While leveling my first healer to 70 I noticed how poo poo most tanks are at pulling, so sometimes I feel like handing out advice on how to pull. Of course unsolicited advice will always be taken as an attack, but maybe there's still a nice way to put it?

What is your pulling advice, out of curiosity? I'm leveling WAR right now and I'll typically tomahawk, position the group, overpower and then work my rotation towards cyclone.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
WAR's are a bit different because Overpower isn't a PBAoE like Flash or Unleash, so they can't do the PLD's/DRK thing of 'running into a pack of mobs, Flash/Unleash a couple times and then position/run onwards.'

For WAR you need an extra few seconds of positioning/extra overpowers to make sure you hit everything if Steel Cyclone isn't up. If Steel Cyclone is up, you can use it like the above.

It's faster than using Tomahawk, Shield Lob or Unmend to pull enemies towards you because you kind of have to get past them to continue the dungeon anyway, so you might as well fight them where they're standing. Sometimes you do want to pull them back a bit but not every single time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

got lota once again in my alliance roulette and ONCE AGAIN people utterly failed to manage the loving pads

we get to the pads and someone pulls early. i’m in team C and now we have a whopping 5 people in our lane. of course my team still has trouble standing on the pad even though as there tank i am literally dragging the enemies back to them but even MORE “of course” is that people in other alliances pipe up to tell us how bad we are. i tell them to gently caress off into the sun because someone pulled early and were doing what we can with what we have. they smugly claim that people can just teleport in when the room is sealed and i just can’t deal with this alliance any more i cannot believe that people STILL do not understand you will get teleported into lane A

what is it about lota that makes everyone so god drat incompetent

when will we get a system that autokicks people for pulling early at the pads

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I reported on the official forums that early pulling there leads to people who aren't in the lanes all getting teleported to the leftmost corridor.

The mods said it was "working as intended".

So, uh, never I guess. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Argas posted:

Just don't bother with Eureka. Maybe when they nerf it in SB (the upcoming SB, not the current SB) you might find it worth doing for the glamour.

The problem with that is that Eureka isn’t like other extraneous side systems. Sure there have been relics in the past but they used existing content for their grinds.

If you hate Eureka, you have the assurance that it’s going to be sucking up tons of development energy and causing there to be less of the things you do like for the forseeable future. It’s a real dampener on enthusiasm and can make it hard to want to stay subbed.