Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Dude has a TSP and a vested federal pension. Also has less lucrative Florida state pension. BWM but he’ll be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh he'll be fine, and he'll make millions post Senate, but he still paid big penalties to take his money out to buy a boat

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Worrying about $10k in tax penalties while running for president would be bwm. Enjoying time with your family for what could be the last time in 8 years while being financially set for life as a senator is fine with money.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Was just driving and heard a commerical for a Kia car lot that does does a dime down, at signing, and if you make $350/wk they will auto approve for a line of credit up to 30k

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Worrying about $10k in tax penalties while running for president would be bwm. Enjoying time with your family for what could be the last time in 8 years while being financially set for life as a senator is fine with money.

i am not really sure that marco rubio could ever be fine with money, even with huge inflows from suspicious rightwing russians or whatever

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Was just driving and heard a commerical for a Kia car lot that does does a dime down, at signing, and if you make $350/wk they will auto approve for a line of credit up to 30k

If you measure your income on a weekly basis, you might be bwm.

Seriously I had to stop and calculate; I know my hourly rate, biweekly net and yearly gross but weekly income? Not off the top of my head.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

jesus christ I can only imagine what the rates on that sort of loan would be. :eyepop:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

FrozenVent posted:

If you measure your income on a weekly basis, you might be bwm.

Seriously I had to stop and calculate; I know my hourly rate, biweekly net and yearly gross but weekly income? Not off the top of my head.

I get paid weekly, so it's not so hard. When do you get paid?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
ROCK LAW
Neighbors stole our rock.

quote:

My parents yard had a large rock, a small boulder really. Just on the grass next to the driveway. It was a dam good rock, I have many childhood memories of playing outside and sitting/leaning/playing on it. Everytime anyone did yard work the rock became a table for drinks, I also have fond memories of my father resting a bottle of coke and tools on it while teaching me how to work on cars.

Now our devious neighbors are doing some renovations in there backyard, installing a pool I think. So they have had heavy equipment going in and out, and then one day, our rock was gone.

Wth? What did they do to our rock. Appearently they thought we wanted it gone because of something my father said and they thought they were doing us a favor. Appearently my dad complained about how it's hard to mow and rack around the rock or something, when talking to them.

So they just assumed we wanted it gone, but didn't want to pay the heavy price to move it. So they had some of the guys take it away, again without asking for consent at all.

We complained to them, asked them to fix/return it. They say, "nope sorry it's gone. We don't know where it is."

A replacment rock of similar size is expensive, why is installing a rock so god dam expensive anyway. The heavy equipment I guess.

Anyway, just recently, we discovered the bitches put the rock in their own backyard next to there pool. What the utter gently caress they told us it was gone. We talked to them about it and they admitted they lied, but they wanted a rock in their backyard next to their new pool, and thought we wanted ours gone. And they said they are not going to return it, or pay for another one.

We even threatend to sue, because we want the rock and it's expensive to replace.

They essentially said "yeah good luck with that, nobody will take you seriously and you have no evidence it ever belonged to you." They said they would deny stealing it, also all our communication to them has been verbal so no documentation of them admitting they stole it, and would lie to the law.

It's true, we have no documentation of the rock, or even photos of it. I checked. Can they do this?

How do I proceed?

Location edit: very Northern CA.

UPDATE: We have photos of the rock being on our property now. Both google earth, and appearently my distant aunt who moved away had the family albums she can send us. I did stop by police station to report a threat, there were some giggles but I made it clear that it's worth several thousand probably, and that I will probably be going through small claims. This will be a pain, but atleast I know what to do now.

Thanks guys.
As someone with fond memories of a large rock at my parents' house, these people are monsters.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Splicer posted:

ROCK LAW

As someone with fond memories of a large rock at my parents' house, these people are monsters.

In California that's grand theft if it truly is worth over $1000 and with that ironclad proof I would hope criminal charges would be brought forth

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
GDPR BWM
https://mobile.twitter.com/RBOSull/status/1070467423059480576

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I was fairly certain that Rubio's president chances would sink in 2014 when I read an article in The Atlantic/Vox? about his bad finances. There was no way a person with such a shaky record with where money comes from could be president!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Splicer posted:

ROCK LAW

Unironically, same. Kids love large rocks.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Blessed image

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

:golfclap:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

silvergoose posted:

Blessed image

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Spending public money on ballparks continues to be BWM:

https://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2018/12/campbells_field_riversharks_demolition_camden.html

Long story short: New Jersey spent $16 million of public funds to build a minor league ballpark in Camden, which was at the time a giant sucking shithole of crime, drugs, and corrupt cops. This, somehow, failed to be the cornerstone development to revitalize the area, and just a few years later they had to kick in another 1.2 million for maintenance. In 2015, the county decided to purchase the stadium and paid $3.5 million to settle outstanding debt, and put a surcharge on ticket sales to get back some of their money. The team made a single payment to the county, and then moved to Connecticut.

Now the county is paying $1 million to demolish the stadium. Once it's gone, the city and Rutgers will be spending $7.5 million each to build...more sports stadiums. For a Division III school.

The development of the stadium itself also convinced the port authority to spend $18 million on a cross-river cable tram. Right next to the Ben Franklin bridge, over which people, trains, and cars, move between Camden and Philly all day long. And there's also already a ferry.

http://philaphilia.blogspot.com/2011/09/dead-rear end-proposal-of-week-september_29.html

This is what we got for all that money:

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hey, endless construction and reconstruction means jobs jobs jobs!!!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Rock Law-bster.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This is hilarious. I always wondered what the deal with that structure in the parking lot of Penn’s Landing was. I figured it was part of some abandoned project but I didn’t think it was one that dumb.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

ROCK LAW

I really hope he hires a lawyer and gets his goddamned rock back.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
WELCOME TO PENIS LANDING

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

That’s right near the Jersey Museum of Science and Trucking, isn’t it?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

"The upstairs kitchen was covered in anti-capitalist graffiti."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

axolotl farmer posted:

That’s right near the Jersey Museum of Science and Trucking, isn’t it?

You joke, but:

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011/06/new_union_city_cultural_center.html

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Squatter Jack is the hero of this story. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

saltylopez posted:

Squatter Jack is the hero of this story. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Dumb white guy makes multiple terrible decisions, should go bankrupt but is bailed out by his rich relative. Ends up making hefty profit due to sheer idiotic luck and nepotism.

Part 2: a rant about how unfair taxes are because that guy is uniquely talented and worked so hard to profit in real estate.

Edit, obvious overlooked joke. Part 3: run for president and win

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

https://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000/

The same couple definitely learned from their experiences

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

GriszledMelkaba posted:

This is pure gold. I thought they found out it was a crack house before closing, but they knew that and went ahead anyway. The people they bought it from got an offer of $480000 for a dilapidated ruin and negotiated for $120k more, balls of steel.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Holy poo poo. lmao at hiring literally the first random hobo you run into to completely renovate your crackhouse

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

AndrewP posted:

Holy poo poo. lmao at hiring literally the first random hobo you run into to completely renovate your crackhouse

This is basically canadian_real_estate_2016.txt

The site unseen is a little unusual, but it was also common for buyers to get into bidding wars and then forego home inspections because it would make them less competitive. I'm pretty sure it's a goldmine of BWM stories.

Not so much in 2018, though.

Edit: also, on further reading, I am finding it so difficult to feel sorry for them through their whole insufferable sense of self-entitlement.

Also, the "before" photos showed a lot of grime, but the place was really not looking that bad. Underneath everything, I'm pretty sure it was solid hardwood, and probably didn't need much done to it.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 7, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've read that story before, maybe in crappy construction thread in diy?

There's zero reason to feel sorry for them. Stupid decision after stupid decision and constantly bailed out of them by rich relatives

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AndrewP posted:

That's my favorite part of this story every time it is posted. "Oh look a crackhead on a bicycle! He seems like he'd be better for the job than the actual contractors I talked to!"

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is basically canadian_real_estate_2016.txt

The site unseen is a little unusual, but it was also common for buyers to get into bidding wars and then forego home inspections because it would make them less competitive. I'm pretty sure it's a goldmine of BWM stories.

Not so much in 2018, though.

Edit: also, on further reading, I am finding it so difficult to feel sorry for them through their whole insufferable sense of self-entitlement.

Also, the "before" photos showed a lot of grime, but the place was really not looking that bad. Underneath everything, I'm pretty sure it was solid hardwood, and probably didn't need much done to it.

So are these all cash buyers or do Canadian banks not require a home inspection to issue a mortgage? Typically banks want to be sure the house isn't going to collapse, seeing as they own it and all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sock The Great posted:

So are these all cash buyers or do Canadian banks not require a home inspection to issue a mortgage? Typically banks want to be sure the house isn't going to collapse, seeing as they own it and all.

My guess with the Canadian metropolitan real estate markets is that the inspectors are in bed with the realtors and are there to just rubber stamp the property so the $49,985 wires can start rolling in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress these dumb assholes.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Midjack posted:

gently caress these dumb assholes.

They must be old money, because the dude has a PhD in education, and the woman doesn't work... And yet, they have had up to three or four properties at a given time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

They must be old money, because the dude has a PhD in education, and the woman doesn't work... And yet, they have had up to three or four properties at a given time.

could be leveraging up to their eyeballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

could be leveraging up to their eyeballs

I'm simply confused how they bought a house without even driving by it. Or the "there is simply no way we can live in a 2 bedroom house with 2 children!" We have to try and rush things.