Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Mimikyu is never established as a dead thing, it's just some lovecraftian horror that drives you insane when you look at it. Hoopa is kind of like that too, it's not a dead thing it's just from another dimension.

Some ghost types are actually dead people like Phantump and Yamask.

Some are cursed objects like Honedge and Banette.

And some are just vaguely spirtual or...I dunno sneaky I guess like ghost type Oricorio and Decidueye.

The whole situation, like most things in Pokemon, is very confusing and best not thought about too hard.

It's probably best to think of Ghosts that are obviously living, physical creatures as basically mediums. They use spirit-based or shadowy powers they because they come innately to the animal. That or they come from some spiritual other world. Decidueye gets its Ghost type because it is deeply connected with darkness as an owl and archer as well as its basis as a Hawaiian guardian spirit. Alolan Marrowak gets its power because it learned to commune with the bones it carries out of desperation in the more hostile for its original Ground type area of Alola.

If you're wondering how that makes them substantially different than Psychic, I refer you to the whole Ground/Rock split for types with very little differentiation.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All types make perfect sense, it's just difficult to understand without a PhD in the subject

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Seadra: The Dragon Pokemon
Type: Water

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Seadra: The Dragon Pokemon
Type: Water

That's like half of that Elite Four idiot's team, just Pokemon that slightly resemble dragons, my Play Rough move went to WASTE.

When you come back he has a bit more dragons because he also includes Alolan Exeggutor

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Dragon: longer Exeggutor
Not Dragon: Mega Gyarados

:psyduck:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

That's like half of that Elite Four idiot's team, just Pokemon that slightly resemble dragons, my Play Rough move went to WASTE.

When you come back he has a bit more dragons because he also includes Alolan Exeggutor

It's not like Agatha was any better. Why they decided to make two of the Elite Four to specialize in types that only had three members with, at best, one actual move.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A good Let's Go game would have the 151 Kanto pokemon, then the prevolutions and further evolutions introduced for them later as well as Megas and Alolan forms

Then you give them access to all their moves, as well as access to new ones that fit them instead of completely gutting their movepools to the point there's little to no strategy to be had beside "Everything Knows Toxic, Substitute, and Protect"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Why are some Pokémon “normal”?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Because they're a normal part of society, like the two-foot-long rats plaguing the countryside, or that man-made abomination that was created to slay aliens

What was the Black Plague period like?
How did the Roswell Incident go?
Was there a World War II?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

It's not like Agatha was any better. Why they decided to make two of the Elite Four to specialize in types that only had three members with, at best, one actual move.

All of which were part of the same evolution chains no less. Though I seem to remember Lance having a few more dragons on his team in the original GB games (I think he had a Dragonair and an extra Dragonite).

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Larryb posted:

All of which were part of the same evolution chains no less. Though I seem to remember Lance having a few more dragons on his team in the original GB games (I think he had a Dragonair and an extra Dragonite).

He had two dragonair and one dragonite

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I don't know why Magmetar, Magby, Blissey, Pichu, etc aren't in the game. That was a dumb decision.

Well, no breeders meaning no eggs so no babies makes sense.

Perhaps the magnetic field conditions for magnezone do not exist. And perhaps the conditions necessary to make a Leafeon or Glaceon don't exist within the Kanto region. But the rest should be there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They have Alolans and Megaevolutions though, so that's something. I guess they figured they wanted to save outright new Pokemon for future Let's Go games.

My dumb bitch rival thought he was all tough and pulled out a megaevolution Pidgeot which I one shot the second he transformed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oyster posted:

He had two dragonair and one dragonite

Ah that was it, still better than the one Dragonite he has here though (and later an Alolan Exeggutor). But yeah, as mentioned if they were going to include a Ghost and Dragon type trainer in Gen 1 it might have been a good idea in retrospect to include more than 3 of those particular Pokemon (with even less moves actually attributed to that particular type)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah that was it, still better than the one Dragonite he has here though (and later an Alolan Exeggutor). But yeah, as mentioned if they were going to include a Ghost and Dragon type trainer in Gen 1 it might have been a good idea in retrospect to include more than 3 of those particular Pokemon (with even less moves actually attributed to that particular type)

I heard somewhere (probably this thread a while back) that the Flying Type was originally meant to represent dragons and other mythical flying things while birds were to be a separate type (backed up by the existence of that dummied out bird type move on Missingno). Then later in development they made a separate dragon typing to make Dragonite's line special and moved birds under the flying type. Charizard and Gyarados got left as flying when this change happened despite having been designed as dragons. Aerodactyl being on Lance's team probably means it was meant to be a dragon too.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Licarn posted:

Dragon: longer Exeggutor
Not Dragon: Mega Gyarados

:psyduck:

Exeggutall is the best dragon in the series.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Dizz posted:

meowth no longer talks

Pikachu (and Detective Pikachu) are the only ones that are allowed to talk in this godforsaken timeline, apparently

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

“Normal” has always translated as “doesn’t fit anywhere else” to me.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

They have Alolans and Megaevolutions though, so that's something. I guess they figured they wanted to save outright new Pokemon for future Let's Go games.

Genwunners might not buy the game because MUH NOSTALGIA NINETIES. GF is just easing new stuff in.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Genwunners might not buy the game because MUH NOSTALGIA NINETIES. GF is just easing new stuff in.

That and it's the only way you're getting Dark types.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Violet_Sky posted:

Your point is valid, but I hate the way you have presented it.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Geostomp posted:

“Normal” has always translated as “doesn’t fit anywhere else” to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BrainDance posted:

I named the rival Gary because I thought he was gonna be Gary and then I was super disappointed by him being such a dork and never saying smell you later :(

Hey so does this game retcon a bunch of stuff from gen 1? Or is this another alternate dimension thing?

Well there are a bunch of dudes who said "long ago we used to ride our bikes down this road" in reference to that bike road place which is now anti-bike. I think it's supposed to take place very soon after Gen1 because Gary exists and is smelling young boys later, but also has already done a bunch of poo poo presumably.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Has there been any hints that Lets go will get any additional content or dlc or connection to the main games at any point? I just beat the elite four last night and besides shiny hunting or beating master trainers I’m a little worried I could be done with this game soon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Has there been any hints that Lets go will get any additional content or dlc or connection to the main games at any point? I just beat the elite four last night and besides shiny hunting or beating master trainers I’m a little worried I could be done with this game soon.

As usual, it takes Game Freak until the very last set of games on a console to actually utilize it properly. So I kind of doubt it especially with a core Pokemon game coming out in a year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to do all the master trainers but levelling up first evo mons like pidgey and caterpie is a loving chore

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

As usual, it takes Game Freak until the very last set of games on a console to actually utilize it properly. So I kind of doubt it especially with a core Pokemon game coming out in a year.

bummer. This game is fun but I think I played it too fast for there only being the 150 kanto ‘mon.

The motion controls aren’t awful but I really wish Nintendo would stop using it or at least give us the option to not use it. Yes I know you don’t have to use it in handheld mode but I want to play Pokémon on a big screen dammit. I really can’t sit and play a game with motion controls for more than an hour or two without my wrist starting to hurt. Must be getting old.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 7, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh my God, it’s a Gen 1 remake where you can insert yourself into like you’re in a mixture of the most fun aspects of the anime, manga, and original games mixed media franchise, why are you guys trying to make this so hard on yourselves?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

lol the game cost 60$ man sorry for expecting a little more

Catalina
May 20, 2008

slave to my cravings posted:

lol the game cost 60$ man sorry for expecting a little more

No, I don't mean the gameplay, which I agree $60 is pretty steep for. I mean trying to figure out where this fits in with canon, and timelines, and whatnot.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Catalina posted:

No, I don't mean the gameplay, which I agree $60 is pretty steep for. I mean trying to figure out where this fits in with canon, and timelines, and whatnot.

This may shock you but some people have fun thinking about these kinds of things

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Amppelix posted:

This may shock you but some people have fun thinking about these kinds of things

No memes outside of the meme threads is a good global rule, but it still makes me very sad that I would get probated if I posted the shocked Pikachu picture as a response to this.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

jokes posted:

Well there are a bunch of dudes who said "long ago we used to ride our bikes down this road" in reference to that bike road place which is now anti-bike. I think it's supposed to take place very soon after Gen1 because Gary exists and is smelling young boys later, but also has already done a bunch of poo poo presumably.

Right, but it has to be a different gen1 since apparently these are the first Pokedexes Oak made.

Vinylshadow posted:

Was there a World War II?

I think the old guy in Lt. Surge's gym still talks about being in the war, so I'm gonna say definitely, of course there was. It's the only explanation.

Catalina posted:

Oh God, so sorry to offend you by having fun with the story in a RPG. Can you please forgive me?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ariong posted:

Your point is valid, but I hate the way you have presented it.

It's not unearned. I think there were people in this very thread who expressed interest in Let's Go just because they only had the original 151 and not any of the "dumb" ones that came afterward.

Anyone who holds precious designs like Voltorb or Rattata sacred while scorning designs like Breloom or Scrafty deserve scorn.

BrainDance posted:

I think the old guy in Lt. Surge's gym still talks about being in the war, so I'm gonna say definitely, of course there was. It's the only explanation.
I wonder what group was attempted-genocided. I bet it was somehow still Jews.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was Fairy, Steel, and Dark types that's why there's so few in gen 1

Catalina
May 20, 2008

BrainDance posted:

Right, but it has to be a different gen1 since apparently these are the first Pokedexes Oak made.

Oh God, so sorry to offend you by having fun with the story in a RPG. Can you please forgive me?

I think we all know that the first rule of the online Pokemon club is No Having Fun With Pokemon.

Anyway, I was reading the discussion as literal and didn't realize people were having fun figuring out stuff and not being pedantic, so that was my error.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've got two Shiny Poipole Codes for Ultra Sun/Moon.
Please respond if you have taken one of them.
A878NHZZ5FH3GHGA
A878NH3XTC3YT9P6

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Do you guys think 9/11 happened in pokemon

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Do you guys think 9/11 happened in pokemon

Play my super cool edgy romhack to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Moltres cant melt steel beams.