Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

Why do people keep bringing their loving takes on how a dude who died before WW2 started turned out to be a raging racist. Like why is this poo poo only brought out for loving Lovecraft and not Walt Disney or Robert E. Howard or another popular author/artist from the early 20th century but only that loving guy.

It evolved out of a conversation about how people deal with problematic people/influences posed in the tabletop gaming forum, and Lovecraft-adjacent stuff is like the biggest racist elephant in the tabletop rpg room besides D&D itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, now there's takes so be careful what you wish for? :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also, at least from my reading as the whitest person ever who knows nothing, Howard was racist in the sense of "grew up up in the South in the early 20th century" and was as about as not poo poo about it as you could expect for the time from someone not super progressive. Like, nothing to be lauded, he certainly has some baggage, but more explaining to someone "Yeah it was a different time and he had some hosed up views. Like really hosed up. But the swordfights are cool."

As opposed to Lovecraft's umm everything.

Like you can pretty trivially point to characters in the Conan series from several ethnic backgrounds (sort of? weird pre-history poo poo) being considered good and competent, but then there's also tons of bad poo poo. With a very favorable view, I'd like to say he was vaguely kind of aiming in a progressive direction but just didn't have the framework to even start. See also his take on women where he kind of sort of gives them agency maybe sometimes but then doesn't. Robert E. Howard is basically a new born giraffe trying and failing to take its first steps to not being a crap human, is what I'm saying, I think.

Meanwhile Lovecraft is so loving puerile but also terrible with his views that I both loathe him and can't take him seriously at the same time.

Howard was also kind of trapped in that all of his stories were being sold to pulp magazines, and they were sometimes rejected for various reasons. He had to conform to what his editors demanded, which was male power fantasy for an adolescent through young adult male audience in the 1930s.

But I also compare him to Tolkien. The two would not have read each other, but were writing at about the same time. Granted Howard was stuck in oil-boom Texas while Tolkien was in the UK, but... yeah, there were fantasy authors during his time who managed to not portray all the black people as savages more recently evolved from apes than the white nobles of atlantean blood, etc. etc.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah that's what I was trying sort of to get at but said better.

Howard is definitely capital P Problematic. But you can sort of kind of see some stuff that in historical context was trying to be better than what he grew up in (if you're being generous).

To give a very facile analogy, Huck Finn was super progressive at the time it came out*, but it still had a relatively well-rounded and sympathetic character named friend of the family Jim. It's 2 steps forward, but one step was still super racist. Which only looks "good" if we compare it to contemporary authors. Which is why literature needs to be read in context.

*I am glossing so hard over a lot of poo poo, I know, just let me make the analogy.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Howard's stories have racist elements in them. Lovecraft's stories are about being racist. That's why there's different takes on them.

That being said I am of the camp that cosmic horror doesn't inherently have to be racist.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also,

Plutonis posted:

Why do people keep bringing their loving takes on how a dude who died before WW2 started turned out to be a raging racist. Like why is this poo poo only brought out for loving Lovecraft and not Walt Disney or Robert E. Howard or another popular author/artist from the early 20th century but only that loving guy.

Howard's and even Disney's racism come up nearly every time they come up on this forum. I'm not sure I've ever seen more than three posts in a row on them that didn't include some discussion of it.

The reason Lovecraft's racism comes up so much is because he does, because him and his stuff are a big trend in nerd culture.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

And also because he was really just that loving racist.

Like you can't talk about Lovecraft and not talk about the racism. Just in terms of content.

It'd be like talking about Woody Allen's acting without using the word "awkward". I would have to orchestrate a circumstance where it wouldn't be obvious to talk about Lovecraft's constant racism.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

Because Lovecraft's writing itself was often basically just racism expressed pretty explicitly and implicitly in its themes, and Lovecraftiana is a huge part of nerd culture.
Robert E. Howard's Conan stories have deeply racist elements, but the core conceit of swords and sandals isn't isomorphic to xenophobia the way HPL's cosmic horror is. So he's the best possible example of the influence a creator's racism can have on the wider popular culture inspired by his work. Nobody would accuse Swords Without Master of being inherently racist, but a Lovecraft-based game is always going to need to be checked for extremely racist underpinnings.

What is a Lovecraft based game, precisely? A game with cosmic horror themes? A game that specifically references the Cthulhu Mythos directly? If the former, it's not like Lovecraft is inextricably welded to the genre, people have been exploring similar themes both before him and after him. poo poo, Lovecraft cribbed off of a lot of other authors that came before him as well and as far as I know they weren't especially racist compared to the norm of that time period. If the latter, well, the Mythos was always a shared setting. There were plenty of authors without the racism who contributed to it, and still contribute to it today. It's still a shared IP spread amongst countless authors and writers over a period of decades now, not a single body of works written in the 20's that exists in a vacuum more or less untouched.

Compare an rpg based on Tolkien's writings, which has a defined canon solely determined by a single and now long dead author, versus an rpg based around the Peter Jackson movies and whatever Lord of the Rings Extended Universe that WB is trying to create. The Cthulhu Mythos has always been more of the latter and you can argue that it had more to do with Derleth than it did with Lovecraft.

That Old Tree posted:

The reason Lovecraft's racism comes up so much is because he does, because him and his stuff are a big trend in nerd culture.

It's not really his stuff, unless you specifically use material like Nyarlathotep. A story about mysterious and otherworldly beings loving with people, while definitely commonplace in fiction now and a really big trend, isn't necessarily about Cthulhu or Yog-Sototh or the Deep Ones or whatever. People have put enough of a spin on the premise that the genre has sort of evolved beyond Lovecraft's initial contributions. He might have popularized cosmic horror, but it's a genre with more or less a life of its own now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mors Rattus posted:

Lovecraft has exactly two fears:

1. Non-White People
2. Not Being The Center Of The Universe

and women, and the ocean, and going outside, and architecture, and, like, the general concept of geometric curves

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Lovecraft is also a bit of a weird case because while Lovecraft the person was a gargantuan shitheel and his work was founded on racist views, there's a section of the fandom in queer/minority circles who basically see themselves in the idea of being that 'other' compared to an uncaring society that would rather just pretend those groups don't exist and loses their collective poo poo when confronted with things as they actually are in the world. It's very much a death of the author situation, but it's a take I've seen expressed in my own social circles and in more niche commentary which has contributed to elements of the aesthetic and subgenre getting transformed into other, not ethically horrifying works.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Quote is not edit

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Shape of Water is my favorite Shadow Over Innsmouth adaptation by a pretty long shot.

Also, the Derlethian mythos version of Lovecraftiana is still aggressively HPL branded in most incarnations. Big green Cthulhus absolutely point to specifically HPL as a figure of influence and therefore a figure of interest.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Forget the Cthulus, they call Lovecraft out by name pretty much every time.

Frankly it's not a good faith argument, even the most basic exposure to cosmic horror in tabletop makes it clear Lovecraft specifically is still a primary tocuhstone.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
We already have works with similar premises that move past what was initially presented by Lovecraft anyways, such as stuff like Bloodborne and Fallen London as mentioned before. Anything with a bunch of mysterious ancient beings who are at best apathetic and indifferently cruel, and at worst actively malevolent, doesn't necessarily have to link itself to HP Lovecraft or his racism. poo poo, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, and John Carpenter have also written stories that work off the same premises without being bigoted. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong about that, because at this point I'm pretty sure every public figure on earth has done something horrible that we just aren't aware of yet or isn't yet widely known.

Anyways Lovecraft started with an interesting premise that has a broad appeal, which is why many authors are willing to draw on the same themes without being especially racist or bigoted themselves. The premise is still not inextricably tied to his racism, nor is the concept of cosmic horror in and of itself inherently problematic. It is unfortunate that a racist was the person to popularize it as a concept, but it's not as if that concept sprung solely from him either.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Frankly it's not a good faith argument, even the most basic exposure to cosmic horror in tabletop makes it clear Lovecraft specifically is still a primary tocuhstone.

Arthur Conan Doyle is a primary touchstone in detective novels, but that doesn't mean he is its sole meaningful contributor or that the genre hasn't evolved beyond an omniscient superhuman in a deerstalker cap.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

We already have works with similar premises that move past what was initially presented by Lovecraft anyways, such as stuff like Bloodborne and Fallen London as mentioned before. Anything with a bunch of mysterious ancient beings who are at best apathetic and indifferently cruel, and at worst actively malevolent, doesn't necessarily have to link itself to HP Lovecraft or his racism. poo poo, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, and John Carpenter have also written stories that work off the same premises without being bigoted. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong about that, because at this point I'm pretty sure every public figure on earth has done something horrible that we just aren't aware of yet or isn't yet widely known.

Anyways Lovecraft started with an interesting premise that has a broad appeal, which is why many authors are willing to draw on the same themes without being especially racist or bigoted themselves. The premise is still not inextricably tied to his racism, nor is the concept of cosmic horror in and of itself inherently problematic. It is unfortunate that a racist was the person to popularize it as a concept, but it's not as if that concept sprung solely from him either.

Arthur Conan Doyle is a primary touchstone in detective novels, but that doesn't mean he is its sole meaningful contributor or that the genre hasn't evolved beyond an omniscient superhuman in a deerstalker cap.
Then there's no problem with tossing Lovecraft and the works he created aside, since there are other sources to draw from.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Then there's no problem with tossing Lovecraft and the works he created aside, since there are other sources to draw from.

Yes. You can very easily drop the Cthulhu Mythos and go for a different story about Ancient Horrors Beyond Time and Space, without really having to buy into Lovecraft as a person. It's more genre than fandom now, at least pop-culturally.

I mean, poo poo, Mike Mignola probably wrote some of the best cosmic horror/pulp fiction stories out there without doing a 1:1 retread of Lovecraft's short stories. Because Lovecraft's works are also old as hell and pretty cliche to boot now too.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 7, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and women, and the ocean, and going outside, and architecture, and, like, the general concept of geometric curves

Don't forget dogs and birds.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean, I've been saying 'Lovecraft is super racist, and Lovecraftiana that's just flatly derivative should have to wrestle with his legacy because they're spraying it everywhere' while also saying 'so people should check out Bloodborne, Hellboy, Cultist Simulator' and so on.

I don't know that it adds anything to say 'why are you all so hung up on Lovecraft' when, again, we're talking about how he's been stuck onto everything and direct retreads are common. The exceptions, i.e. the good cosmic horror, are exceptions in terms of the broad genre of 'tastes like alien squid.'

Lovecraft, the person and the brand, is far more commonly cited than Lovecraft-less cosmic horror, and that's precisely the problem and one good reason to trouble Lovecraft's memory.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Don't forget dogs and birds.

Lovecraft: Notorious racist and bigot, hated dogs, loved cats.

JRR Tolkien: Told nazis to gently caress off, loved dogs, would not stop using cats as a metaphor for the devil.

There are some clear conclusions that can be drawn here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, I've been saying 'Lovecraft is super racist, and Lovecraftiana that's just flatly derivative should have to wrestle with his legacy because they're spraying it everywhere' while also saying 'so people should check out Bloodborne, Hellboy, Cultist Simulator' and so on.

All right. I just wasn't sure how you defined Lovecraftiana, exactly, and whether it meant building off of premises he popularized or if it involved actually adapting or retreading his works.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Lovecraft, the person and the brand, is far more commonly cited than Lovecraft-less cosmic horror, and that's precisely the problem and one good reason to trouble Lovecraft's memory.

Thoughtless retreads are always going to be commonplace, it's inevitable when most contributors are largely going to be hacks. I will say that as a shared universe, the cthulhu mythos has also moved a bit further beyond Lovecraft as well, at least insofar as Delta Green is loving rad and doesn't seem to do anything offensive, at least in what I read.

I have to argue against the idea that Lovecraftless cosmic horror is somehow less common and prevalent then direct or sincere retreads of his work in mass media, though. Amnesia borrowed from it, World of Warcraft cribs heavily from it, Darkest Dungeon borrowed from it, but they all put a more original spin on things rather than directly rehash it and certainly don't involve his racial views. Lovecraftian elements are commonplace, to the point where anything involving eldritch horror is now called "Lovecraftian," but I can't think of anything culturally relevant that brings up Lovecraft or his works by name recently, aside from kitschy parodies like in South Park, or Cthulhu Saves the World, or a Shoggoth on the Roof. Maybe the Sinking City is an exception, and we'll see how people respond to it when it's out.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 7, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dulkor posted:

Lovecraft is also a bit of a weird case because while Lovecraft the person was a gargantuan shitheel and his work was founded on racist views, there's a section of the fandom in queer/minority circles who basically see themselves in the idea of being that 'other' compared to an uncaring society that would rather just pretend those groups don't exist and loses their collective poo poo when confronted with things as they actually are in the world. It's very much a death of the author situation, but it's a take I've seen expressed in my own social circles and in more niche commentary which has contributed to elements of the aesthetic and subgenre getting transformed into other, not ethically horrifying works.

this is the best way to read Lovecraft IMHO

like his whole thing is that the terrifying mind-bending Other built everything that modern man relies on, and that they will inevitably return to reclaim the world and overthrow the order of white, conservative New England

it's practically begging you to lean into it and just cheerfully identify with the shoggoths

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like in At the Mountains of Madness, Lovecraft's protagonist has this moment where he suddenly experiences sympathy with the ten-eyed starfish-headed alien who dissected one of his colleagues because, he thinks "yeah we would have done exactly the same thing"

this poo poo practically writes itself

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He was even afraid of cyclopean architecture. Cyclopean architecture sounds really scary, but it is actually the ancient Mycenaean/Incan/ect. art of fitting large, irregular stones together so tightly that the structure holds without mortar, like so

Real spooky, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People seem to miss a lot of Lovecraft stories also had themes of familial corruption and madness, probably not unrelated to how both of his parents died in insane asylums. Pretty much every indication is he had hereditary mental illness issues, as well as being generally sickly (he seperated from his wife because of financial issues and died in poverty, albeit apparently he kept spending his money on writing supplies instead of food or medicine). He apparently grew up in a wealthy family that lost all their money when he was pretty young and was raised by his aunts, if we're getting into backstory. We're basically looking at borderline outsider art. And a lot of Lovecraft stories strongly imply even anglo-saxon white men are just curious enough to get themselves into trouble dealing with poo poo that 'lesser' races know to leave well enough alone.

While apparently Robert E. Howard lived with his mother all of his life, and committed suicide shortly after she died.

I also heard Lovecraft is a bit better about women than most of his contemporaries, which is probably a low bar. Most of his protagonists are author-inserts. (funnily enough, what's considered one of his best stories, The Colour Out Of Space, unusually has the POV character for almost all of it be a rural guy)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I like Chris Spivey's (of Harlem Unbound fame) take on Lovecraft.

quote:

The ideas that were presented [in Lovecraft's work] resonated with me as an African American male growing up in the deep South. I understand the concepts of cruelty and the uncaring nature of the universe. Yes! I get it! The best man can do is struggle against the insurmountable evil and win for a day or two, and at the very best, delay the maddening doom and protect humanity.

Don't get me wrong, it was tough reading. Lovecraft is a racist, poo poo writer, and a billion other things. But taken for the time when it was written, the ideas behind it are what resonate with me. Let me be clear, I don't forgive, forget or try to deny Lovecraft's racism (as many of his hardcore fans do). But the nuggets of awesomeness (trademark!) in the work help shaped how the modern world views horror, science fiction and detective fiction.

Looting Lovecraft for the good bits and leaving the rest behind to rot definitely seems to be the way to go.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 7, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(... died in poverty, albeit apparently he kept spending his money on writing supplies instead of food or medicine).

okay this part is pretty relatable

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Plutonis posted:

Speak for yourself. Its a pretty common refrain around here that Lovecraft was such an irredeemable piece of poo poo that Robert E. Howard started to back away from his racism because of it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Speaking of Howard, are people here into Swords Without Master? I'm gonna get a chance to play in a play-by-prose hack at some point and I'm super excited.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And a lot of Lovecraft stories strongly imply even anglo-saxon white men are just curious enough to get themselves into trouble dealing with poo poo that 'lesser' races know to leave well enough alone.

this theme (or something close at any rate) is among the reasons John Carpenter's movies, and particularly the Apocalypse Trilogy, own so much

they're basically the paranoid nightmares of Enlightenment rationalism as it slowly realizes it isn't an adequate or complete model of reality, covering the sub-topics of religion (Prince of Darkness), science (The Thing) and aesthetics (In the Mouth of Madness) in turn

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Dulkor posted:

Yo I already linked The Litany of Earth and if you haven't read it and you have an opinion on Lovecraft go loving read it. (If you just don't care at all, that's fine too.) Also the entire reread and like Lovecraft Country and Shoggoths in Bloom and and and. You don't need to dig for non-lovely Lovecraft responses now (though you may need to dig yourself out from the vastly more numerous extremely lovely Lovecraft responses).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I also heard Lovecraft is a bit better about women than most of his contemporaries, which is probably a low bar. Most of his protagonists are author-inserts. (funnily enough, what's considered one of his best stories, The Colour Out Of Space, unusually has the POV character for almost all of it be a rural guy)

Not really, I'd say? Women barely exist in his stories, and most of the prominent ones turn out to be monsters of one shade or another.

There are some, to be sure but generally he's only "better" in that he's not as exploitative on account of exclusion and sexfears.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not really, I'd say? Women barely exist in his stories, and most of the prominent ones turn out to be monsters of one shade or another.

There are some, to be sure but generally he's only "better" in that he's not as exploitative on account of exclusion and sexfears.

not only that but the most significant woman-monster in Lovecraft's stories that I can think of is actually a dude who knows how to mystically swap bodies

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'd read litany of earth before and it's great but this is goddamn amazing. Everyone talking about Thing On The Doorstep go read that article right now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

golden bubble posted:

He was even afraid of cyclopean architecture. Cyclopean architecture sounds really scary, but it is actually the ancient Mycenaean/Incan/ect. art of fitting large, irregular stones together so tightly that the structure holds without mortar, like so

Real spooky, right?
... Amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

golden bubble posted:

Real spooky, right?

I always read it as less him being afraid of it, and more him being afraid of the implication that such long-ago backwards savages could manage something so complex and painstaking that it seems almost alien to the Modern Man of his day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

I always read it as less him being afraid of it, and more him being afraid of the implication that such long-ago backwards savages could manage something so complex and painstaking that it seems almost alien to the Modern Man of his day.

Sort of a precursor to the whole ancient aliens thing where obviously the pyramids couldn't have just been made by the Egyptians.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Hm, I don't know when that idea first surfaced with aliens specifically, but various racist Atlantis-style myths existed to explain 'primitive' people with advanced architecture prior to Lovecraft. The assumption was just that a 'more advanced' people had built it. Great Zimbabwe was declared to have been built by Middle Eastern traders by British archaeologists when they first described it, basically just out of rank racism.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Joe Slowboat posted:

Hm, I don't know when that idea first surfaced with aliens specifically, but various racist Atlantis-style myths existed to explain 'primitive' people with advanced architecture prior to Lovecraft. The assumption was just that a 'more advanced' people had built it. Great Zimbabwe was declared to have been built by Middle Eastern traders by British archaeologists when they first described it, basically just out of rank racism.

Yeah you're right, it's sort of always been about in one point or another, Lovecraft certainly isn't the first to touch upon it. Atlantis, aliens, undiscovered lost-historical human migrations from vanished land-bridges, etc.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The ennie podcast nomination thread is going. As always its local favorites Grognard Files and KARTAS walking away with tons of nominations. System Mastery did get a nod so now I'm curious. If we make it past the judges awareness that we think 4e isn't trash, are they going to send us a request for a 15 minute reel? God I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

To be fair to Atlantis, there's a lot of different Atlantis stories and ideas in the realm of extremely weird historical ideas. Ancient aliens really only has the one note.