Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
This may be the wrong place to ask but is there an equivalent of Little Snitch I can get for Windows? It's great being able to block on a per-request basis.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://www.littlesnitchwindows.com (FortKnox)

also:

https://www.netlimiter.com

Both are reasonable approximations of Little Snitch. But I'll stick with the original.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Thanks

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

As if anyone gives two shits, macOS 10.14.2 just dropped.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like there is Real-Time Text support for Wi-Fi calling, the ability to open News stories in Safari, and support for third-party AirPlay speakers. I'm in Apple's Beta program for work, and I don't recall any significant changes there either. Nonetheless, update your stuff!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nah, no new emojis this time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The update hasn't popped for me yet. But that's fine since there's no new emojis to look at on my touch bar.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I had two weird things happen today on my macbook (10.11.6), for the second time in a couple weeks, so I'm posting here to see if anyone has any insight:

1. jpgs somehow became associated with firefox, despite nothing happening that would have changed the filetype association. I didn't even open any jpgs using firefox.

2. My desktop icons rearranged themselves. I don't mean that they snapped to a grid or became ordered by name or extension, but I actually watched them move from folder-folder-jpg-jpg to jpg-jpg-folder-folder, then move back a couple minutes later. Nothing in my finder view preferences changed.

:psyduck:

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 7, 2018

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have a pair of Taotronics headphones, Anker earbuds and Vava earbuds which connect just fine but none display their battery life. Is it really the case that OS X just won't tell me?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sad Panda posted:

I have a pair of Taotronics headphones, Anker earbuds and Vava earbuds which connect just fine but none display their battery life. Is it really the case that OS X just won't tell me?

Nope. It’s a case of the headset won’t tell macOS.

My Bose and Sennehieser headphones have no problem reporting battery life.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 7, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Van Dis posted:

I had two weird things happen today on my macbook (10.11.6), for the second time in a couple weeks, so I'm posting here to see if anyone has any insight:

1. jpgs somehow became associated with firefox, despite nothing happening that would have changed the filetype association. I didn't even open any jpgs using firefox.

2. My desktop icons rearranged themselves. I don't mean that they snapped to a grid or became ordered by name or extension, but I actually watched them move from folder-folder-jpg-jpg to jpg-jpg-folder-folder, then move back a couple minutes later. Nothing in my finder view preferences changed.

:psyduck:

Just in case, download Malwarebytes and do a scan.

Since you didn't give us a model / year I can only assume your machine has a platter drive that's starting to die..

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Proteus Jones posted:

Nope. It’s a case of the headset won’t tell macOS.

My Bose and Sennehieser headphones have no problem reporting battery life.

But that's just bizarre. If I use BatOn on my phone they'll happily communicate my battery level. Why wouldn't they tell Mac?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always had the same issue with my Sony wireless ones and my Mac, despite appearing on my phone. I believe when I asked this was pretty standard for headphones, so maybe some now have found a way to incorporate it in?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Just in case, download Malwarebytes and do a scan.

Since you didn't give us a model / year I can only assume your machine has a platter drive that's starting to die..

Malwarebytes says I'm clean. This is a late 2015 macbook air with a ssd. I suspect it's just a weird OS bug but seriously wtf kind of bug causes icons to move around randomly

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Van Dis posted:

Malwarebytes says I'm clean. This is a late 2015 macbook air with a ssd. I suspect it's just a weird OS bug but seriously wtf kind of bug causes icons to move around randomly

It still sounds like a possible rootkitted machine although why a rootkit would send the finder some Apple events telling it to change desktop icon sort order is beyond me.

Since it’s a 2015, and you’re running 10.11, you’re way behind on your OS version. I’d use this as an excuse to go full paranoid and do a clean install of Mojave or High Sierra. Back up your data and only use the Finder to copy data files back post install, rather than using Migration Assistant to copy settings, user accounts, and apps. It’ll be a pain but probably better than worrying about a compromised computer.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anyone else have an issue with safari recently where youtube videos will act all weird when fullscreened? like it'll work properly the first time but after that if you fullscreen it again the video will only take up half the screen and once you exit fullscreen the page becomes like 5x the width of the window so you can't see anything. seems to have coincided with them adding the ability to scroll down once you've fullscreened a youtube video

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I pretty much agree with Gruber on Electron apps eroding away the niceness of the Mac

https://daringfireball.net/2018/12/electron_and_the_decline_of_native_apps

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh:

Home Depot's site is poo poo in Safari. HOW CAN I DO HOLIDAY SHOPPING

By using loving Chrome :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

:argh:

Home Depot's site is poo poo in Safari. HOW CAN I DO HOLIDAY SHOPPING

By using loving Chrome :(

Did they recently change it? (I’m on iPad and too lazy to walk to the room my laptop is in to check)

It used to work fine. I mean it was a lovely website, but I could navigate it OK.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Did they recently change it? (I’m on iPad and too lazy to walk to the room my laptop is in to check)

It used to work fine. I mean it was a lovely website, but I could navigate it OK.

Add to cart button was hidden, couldn’t check out...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

:cripes:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Google Docs inside of Google Chrome hits way too close to home.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve closed the “This webpage is using significant memory...” either. It’s great being a “Google Shop”.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, I’ve had that happen too. Only on Safari(tm)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So yeah, Office365 version 16.20 came out; it automagically switches apps to what I call Half-Dark Mode if you're running Mojave.

Outlook looks kinda cool (as cool as an email program will get) in Dark Mode; mailbox lists and mailbox list of contents are nice and dark, messages however still display in retina-searing white with black text though.

Same with Word, PowerPoint and Excel, only menus and dialogs are dark, document windows are still retina-searing.

One Note still not Dark-aware at all. :/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 12, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

html emails and word docs are formatted documents and what you're seeing represents how others without the satan-blessed dark mode will see them

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It would make sense for Outlook to display plaintext emails with a dark background but that's one of those "surprise and delight" things that Microsoft isn't great at.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, thats true

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last Chance posted:

html emails and word docs are formatted documents and what you're seeing represents how others without the satan-blessed dark mode will see them

Yup, no amount of dankness will save you from office boomers and their purple papyrus

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
They should have formatting rules in e-mail apps.

code:
if (font is papyrus or comic sans) {font=Helvetica Neue like God intended}

if(img is GIF) {jfc just render the first non-completely-blank frame and put a play button there or something}

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Switzerland posted:

Emails should be plain-text only. :colbert:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

TACD posted:

Emails BBSes should be plain-text only. :colbert:
FTFY—what ascii character is that smiley? :v:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Switzerland posted:

code:
if (font is papyrus or comic sans) {DELETE}

ftfy

also, any email that has that 'please consider the environment before printing this email' in the footer has never been worth printing

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Djimi posted:

FTFY—what ascii character is that smiley? :v:

I think it was the ENQ and ACK characters that were sometimes represented with a normal and inverted face, but that was decades ago and good luck finding a table these days that show those symbols rather than the actual control codes.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Is there a way to make Safari stop suggesting the root of a website as an autocomplete option in the search bar?

I use some horrid intranet app where thing.company.com/ is a login for one type of account, while thing.company.com/bookmark/ is the bookmarked page I need to use to log in.

Aside from the text heading, the login pages look identical. And Safari really wants me to go to the wrong one.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
a Jobsian "you're holding it wrong" solution would be to type the part after thing.company.com/ as the autocomplete trigger instead

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You could try a keyboard shortcut for the URLs. Something like &login and &intra might work.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So Office has dark mode support now, but Chrome doesn't? Wouldn't have expected that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

So Office has dark mode support now, but Chrome doesn't? Wouldn't have expected that.

Supposedly it's on its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

microsoft seem to have stopped throwing their weight around in the last few years and have actually made an effort to make their apps play well with platforms they don't own, probably because they realised that the gates/ballmer era tactics don't work when there's actually some danger to their marketshare. meanwhile google is approaching the level of ubiquity where there just seems to be less incentive for them to bother with this kind of stuff. see also: how long it takes them to update their ios apps for new screen sizes, with their apps making a point of having a completely incongruous design to everything else on ios

Binary Badger posted:

So yeah, Office365 version 16.20 came out; it automagically switches apps to what I call Half-Dark Mode if you're running Mojave.

Outlook looks kinda cool (as cool as an email program will get) in Dark Mode; mailbox lists and mailbox list of contents are nice and dark, messages however still display in retina-searing white with black text though.

Same with Word, PowerPoint and Excel, only menus and dialogs are dark, document windows are still retina-searing.

One Note still not Dark-aware at all. :/

i use the half-dark mode with mail.app. it's inconsistent but slightly less inconsistent than having 1/4 of the emails with a dark background and the remainder with the forced html white background

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 14, 2018