Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qkkl posted:

if i bought 1 bitcoin for $30,000 right now, will that cause the price of bitcoin to momentarily be $30,000?

If you buy it on an exchange your buy order of 1 at 30,000 would be filled by the lowest possible bid, which is like $3,400. This would leave the market with the 2nd lowest bid which might be something like $3400.01 thereby raising the price by 1 cent.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Salt Fish posted:

If you buy it on an exchange your buy order of 1 at 30,000 would be filled by the lowest possible bid, which is like $3,400. This would leave the market with the 2nd lowest bid which might be something like $3400.01 thereby raising the price by 1 cent.

i see, so it's sellers that set the price, not buyers.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

that market cap site posted:

Circulating Supply: 1,856,421,736 USDT

So I haven't been paying real close attention but does this mean these buttlords seriously believe there's some bank account with 1.8 billion united states dollars waiting for anyone who wants to turn their tethers into real money?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mimesweeper posted:

So I haven't been paying real close attention but does this mean these buttlords seriously believe there's some bank account with 1.8 billion united states dollars waiting for anyone who wants to turn their tethers into real money?

Yes, yes they do.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
What a Christmas miracle :allears:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol, 1.8 trillion tethers? Goddamn coiners are dumb.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
People have been saying from the start that this is like watching the entire history of finance in fast forward, I'm so proud that they've finally reached the stage of creating a fiat currency to defeat fiat currency. They're caught up to modern times and now they can truly begin to innovate and show us the way.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is bitcoin good yet

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
It's so good, you should take out loans with everything you own and max out all your credit cards and buy buy buy, this might be the last chance to grab hold of the bag before it goes to the moon.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
First rule in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : Don't panic.

Second rule: Bring a towel.

This is a great time to buy, as was $15K. Wait a year, newb. When your bank cards won't get you a room at the Motel 6, one Bitcoin will buy you a palace. The banksters are almost defeated. This latest panic dump is the proof. Hodl on.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I should ask my father how much he's in for now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

One year ago, as bitcoin prices were in free fall just after peaking above $20,000 (a peak that, as fate would have it, ended up marking the end of one of the most frenzied asset bubbles since the financial crisis) we reported that one "mystery trader" (later revealed to be BlockTower Capital) had dropped $1 million on a batch of one-year call options that would only pay off if bitcoin traded above $50,000 before their expiration date.

Now, with the knowledge of hindsight, we can safely say that this "moonshot" bet may be remembered as one of the most spectacularly wrong-headed wagers placed by an "institutional" crypto trader in the history of the nascent virtual currency market. And considering that a not-insignificant number of buyers paid $20,000 for a bitcoin (which was trading below $4,000 on Thursday), there has been quite a bit of competition for that dubious distinction.

Because as Bloomberg reminded us on Thursday, these options will expire worthless in about two weeks (barring a stunning recovery rally of 2,000% which...never say never).

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-06/1-million-moonshot-options-betting-bitcoin-50k-about-expire-worthless

Y'all really need to keep a bitcointalk tab open. The mental gymnastics they're going through at the moment are amazing.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 7, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lolie posted:

You haven't lost any money until you sell. These idiots will keep holding because everyone is telling them that Bitcoin and the alts are sure to recover next year.

Oh poo poo. It just dropped under 3310 for a minute. We could see under $3000 today.

Yeah, the 3333 wall evaporated and reappeared at 3222.

Not shady at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who is buying? I just don't get it.

How loving stupid can you be? It's dropped 50% in a month but this is the moment where it stops dropping. The bottom. Gonna buy now!

Woops.

At least wait for it to climb consistently for a while. If it is going to the moon, what is a couple hundred dollars thrown in the toilet.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Salt Fish posted:

GhosTTy is reading this post right now and adjusting the exchanges to make this a reality and number go up

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Waltzing Along posted:

How loving stupid can you be? It's dropped 50% in a month but this is the moment where it stops dropping. The bottom. Gonna buy now!

Woops.

At least wait for it to climb consistently for a while. If it is going to the moon, what is a couple hundred dollars thrown in the toilet.

Bitfinex is $100 over the other exchanges right now, and I suspect they're climbing solely on demand generated there... which is mostly tether dumping, IIRC, so fake demand.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adar posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

It's gonna take a while for BTC to drop all the way. Why? Because of the people who will keep buying it when it drops down a bit in the hopes that it shoots way up. I don't think we should be discussing the floor. The floor is 0 because that is where it is going to end up. The real question is what is the ceiling now? 15k? 10k? I'm guessing somewhere in that area.
false.

to understand why, let's talk about mining and 51% attacks. because bitcoin takes such enormous power to mine and the machines go obsolete so quickly, it requires up front investment of hundreds of millions (today) or billions (tomorrow) for a big mining pool. bitmain's capital investment, for example, is certainly mid 9 figures at a minimum.

as a direct result of that, the 1-3 guys in China who control over half the hashrate could effectively 51% bitcoin, but they never will because that would destroy their investment. however, as they have giant holdings (both in btc and in capital costs) they live in mortal fear of someone else catching up and doing that, so they are compelled to buy and R&D more miners over time to maintain dominance. viewed this way, mining is a technological arms race that always threatens the miners.

this process -requires- btc to maintain its price above mining profitability. fortunately for the Chinese miners, this is a much lower floor than the numbers being thrown around ITT, somewhere between 3-5k. however, falling below that would destroy everyone involved.

so, what's the solution? if you've answered "sell just enough BTC to raise some cash to pump the BTC price to sell some more BTC to raise the cash to...", congratulations, now you know why the actual price floor of bitcoin will always be some guy named Jihan's mining cost.

also, the ceiling is whatever the next bubble turns out to be. at that point it will probably take something along the lines of a UN convention to limit POW before it starts seriously endangering the Paris Treaty. I'm at least a third serious about this.
Sorry folks this is the end of the dip. The price floor of bitcoin will always be some guy named Jihan's mining cost.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*bitcoin becomes known as a modern tulip bubble and the entire ecosystem craters but some guy named Jihan plugs in an NES to mine bitcoins and sells the generated novelty bitcoins to someone for $0.50*
The floor is always the mining cost :smug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

B U Y T H E B U N D L E

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

orange juche posted:

B U Y T H E B U N D L E

80% off!

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

quote:

Cryptocurrency: If you’ve been scrutinizing the system for flaws, it probably didn’t take you long to find one.

If that doesn't sum them up I dunno what does

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Someone needs to start charging jihan more

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Woops.

There's a whole spectrum of idiocy at play

I'm sure some of them are like "yeah this is the time to buy, definitely going to go up from here! Good times are here at last!"

Others have been buying for years, at whatever price, because they're convinced that it's going to go to the moon long-term so it doesn't matter what the price is now. The true believers are in this group

Others are buying bitcoins so they can go on to buy shitcoins, cause some of the dudes always buying bitcoin are also always buying shitcoins. It'd be cheaper to buy litecoins or loving dogecoins for this but never assume that something is so stupid that no one will do it

And then there are the day-traders who are gambling on the random little spikes, buying bitcoin at X and hoping that the tether printer will cause it to shoot up to X+Y so they can make Y profit (minus no fees)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 7, 2018

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

:ssh: https://www.ccn.com/6-billion-daily-crypto-volume-is-being-faked-how-can-it-be-combated/

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Don't Crypto

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

If this was a real market and not Internet Made-Up Money there's one potential class of smart investor.

Bitcoin started out costing basically $0 and there was a time when hitting $1000 was crazy.

Some people who are thinking long-term like putting their retirement money in buts (lol) have a bunch of Butts from back when they cost under $500. They might (rightly) treat the entire era after Bitcoin went above $1k as a bubble, so that maybe now they think (wrongly) that Bitcoin is just price correcting down to where it should have been all along. Depending on where you think that floor is, you'd be prepping to invest hard. Or just prepping. Gotta get more cans of beans in the shelter.

...it's not COMPLETELY insane to think that this is a price correction which could bottom out soon. It's stupid, but not insane.

...although your'e kind of hosed by all the people who bought at $500 who can still make a profit if they sell right now.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Is it me or are there significantly more buy walls than usual? Like blatantly so with the most obvious at 3222 and 3100, and mini walls between

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Lolie posted:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-06/1-million-moonshot-options-betting-bitcoin-50k-about-expire-worthless

Y'all really need to keep a bitcointalk tab open. The mental gymnastics they're going through at the moment are amazing.
It's literally like the 2008 housing crisis or any other one of these fads/scams because it's the same mental turn these investor experts always do.

"If you think these stocks are going to do anything other than go up this year, you're an idiot doomsayer."
"Okay, so these stocks went way down this year but let me explain why this is a positive thing..."

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Smdh at the dude with a bought and paid for house that took out a mortgage to buy butts. Jfc

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

kuddles posted:

It's literally like the 2008 housing crisis or any other one of these fads/scams because it's the same mental turn these investor experts always do.

"If you think these stocks are going to do anything other than go up this year, you're an idiot doomsayer."
"Okay, so these stocks went way down this year but let me explain why this is a positive thing..."

Meanwhile the same site is saying that in the near future we will have a second housing crisis level bubble only way worse... which actually has some valid reasons to it kinda?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-30/how-everything-bubble-will-end

So the entire economy is going to take a dump in the near future, but Bitcoin is immune even though it's taking a dump at the predicted time... because uhhh... hm.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Lots of people think they're brilliant geniuses when they're picking stocks in a bull market, and only realise the truth after the market turns bearish and they lose it all. (And sometimes not even then.)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

drat this thread's moved fast:

I finally watched this last night. The real crime, I think, is the camera work.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://breakermag.com/trapped-at-sea-with-cryptos-nouveau-riche/

it's beautiful

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the 3333 wall evaporated and reappeared at 3222.

Not shady at all.

It's like Dracula's castle, but with Bitcoin!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

So the entire economy is going to take a dump in the near future, but Bitcoin is immune even though it's taking a dump at the predicted time... because uhhh... hm.

Historically instability in real world markets has made Bitcoin go up because it pushes disillusioned people off the fence

E: I haven't paid much attention lately and maybe things are different now but through brexit and the Greek referendums, etc. every inflection point in the crisis made btc go up

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 7, 2018

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That 3222 wall getting ready to evaporate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poverty goat posted:

Historically instability in real world markets has made Bitcoin go up because it pushes disillusioned people off the fence

E: I haven't paid much attention lately and maybe things are different now but through brexit and the Greek referendums, etc. every inflection point in the crisis made btc go up

Jobs report today came up short of expectations, yield curve is inverse. The US is headed into a recession, and bitcoin has never had to deal with a US recession before. I’m calling it now: look for <$1000 by February.