Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I do actually agree with you that they should be tweaking things, like they did with Braxis and Alterac and Volksaya. But bitching about objectives in general is not the same thing as saying the early objective is over powered. Also the correlation of winning an early objective and winning the game is just that, a correlation. It is also entirely likely that the team that won the early objective won it because they were the better team/comp. Mines and GoT have been talked about to death, and most complaints about those maps were that they were just lovely overall. It is possible that at the pro-level those maps were deemed unbalanced, but as a regular player, that was almost never what I heard people complaining about when they did complain, especially with GoT where the most common complaint was that it constantly had 30 minute games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The complaint that "HOTS is snowbally" is sourced from Esports. HOTS's characters become progressively more powerful as the match goes on, meaning that it's possible to create a lead that literally cannot be overcome without the team in the lead making a massive mistake.

This is no different from other MOBAs and even traditional sports (find "level"; replace "score") so it's a really dumb complaint, but unfortunately it's been one that Blizzard has been listening to.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scoring points in sports doesn't give the winning team any advantages. Scores alone are not capable of being snowbally because they are just a count of points. They are a measurement. MOBAs are snowbally because the process of scoring minor victories inherently makes the winning team stronger, literally speaking. Winning fights and scoring kills makes the victor actually, measurably stronger in game.

That in of itself isn't really a bad thing, however, and decent enough balance has been achieved in the past. And it helps prevent even a lop sided match up from going for 2 hours. Snowballing in a game like this actually helps wrap things up quicker.

The issue is when the slightest mistake leads to an irreversible loss overall. That's when it becomes absolutely terrible. Because an entire team can be punished for one slip up in one encounter, and now it is nearly impossible to ever come back.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 6, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ToastyPotato posted:

Scoring points in sports doesn't give the winning team any advantages.

I disagree that it's not an advantage - the more points you have over the opposing team, the more your opponents will have to do to catch up. Past a certain point, score leads can guarantee you a victory just based on time remaining because it's impossible for the opposing team to score enough points before the game ends.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Mixed martial arts 6.5/10, no comeback mechanics

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

The issue is when the slightest mistake leads to an irreversible loss overall. That's when it becomes absolutely terrible. Because an entire team can be punished for one slip up in one encounter, and now it is nearly impossible to ever come back.

I've had almost the exact opposite issue in my experience. The most infuriating thing is winning objectives and teamfights all game, then picking a bad engage at level 20 and the enemy team just walks up to the core and ends it.

I never really feel irreversibly behind if I lose an objective or a fight, unless it leads to a 2+ level disadvantage. But that's a sign we were outmatched anyway

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I dont even know if we're going to win as we're hitting the nexus, and this is in high masters low gm games. People do random stuff and you can throw a 3 level lead in one objective

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Primetime posted:

I've had almost the exact opposite issue in my experience. The most infuriating thing is winning objectives and teamfights all game, then picking a bad engage at level 20 and the enemy team just walks up to the core and ends it.

I never really feel irreversibly behind if I lose an objective or a fight, unless it leads to a 2+ level disadvantage. But that's a sign we were outmatched anyway

Oh I didn't mean to say that was the norm in HotS, but rather what bad snowballing actually was in general. Snowballing is when doing one good thing leads to an advantage that makes doing the next good thing easier, and it just continues until it can become nearly unstoppable. Snowballing refers to the idea of the snow ball rolling down the mountain, continuously growing until it becomes gigantic or an avalanche or whatever. The mere act of rolling down the slope adds snow to its mass, making it bigger, gaining momentum, having more surface area, and collecting even more snow.

Kith posted:

I disagree that it's not an advantage - the more points you have over the opposing team, the more your opponents will have to do to catch up. Past a certain point, score leads can guarantee you a victory just based on time remaining because it's impossible for the opposing team to score enough points before the game ends.

But in the case of sports, points are what win you the game, not an objective that can help you win the game. The score is the measurement of who is winning the competition. That there is a time limit doesn't make scores snowbally. Scores in sports are basically the HP of the Core in this game. The fact that hitting the core lowers its health doesn't make core health snowbally. It is the only way to determine who is winning. In sports, the primary goal is to score points, in HotS, its to destroy the core.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 7, 2018

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I recently played a match of DOTA 2 (had played about 100 games when it came out), and LOL (never played), and they are still games I don't want to play.

I would play and enjoy a Classic 2015 iteration of HOTS, when Lunara was the newest character.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 7, 2018

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I would be OK if they just got rid of all maps but ToD.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
They should do a joke map that's just a copy of League of Legends or Dota. If there's still people playing, of course.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

lucifirius posted:

They should do a joke map that's just a copy of League of Legends or Dota. If there's still people playing, of course.

Yeah I dunno if anyone's still playing League or Dota anymore either

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Dire Human posted:

Oh you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Erdricks posted:

I would be OK if they just got rid of all maps but ToD.

The worst map in the game, including mines, etc?

That's an interesting take.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cuntellectual posted:

The worst map in the game, including mines, etc?

That's an interesting take.

Towers of Doom isn't even nearly close to the worst map in hots, this is definitely a minority opinion I'm afraid.

Speaking of bad things though, I watched nubkeks play a game on the PTR earlier. The final count when all was said and done was 14 kills to the enemy team's 2 and the enemy team never even took a single building, yet the game was still dead even in levels by the 12 minute mark and only really began to express a level disparity by the time nub's team was killing the enemy core. It was absolutely 100% a snowball stompfest and new amount of XP changes did anything to change the fact except for the fact that there wasn't any sort of level 11 vs. level 13 moment. Overall this new set of changes looks completely pointless in every way possible.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Dire Human posted:

I'm not even a big dota fan, or like to paly it, but oh no one plays the game that has a 15 million+ million $$$ prize pool,

hahah

you card

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

skipThings posted:

I'm not even a big dota fan, or like to paly it, but oh no one plays the game that has a 15 million+ million $$$ prize pool,

hahah

you card

:thejoke:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I still like HoTs more than Dotes or League, despite Blizzard trying to stop me

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It occurred to me during a particularly brutal BHB game that if the XP changes do anything to the value of forts and keeps, any objective that directly attacks structures (so BHB, Sky Temple, and Hanamura off of the top of my head) will need to be completely re-evaluated.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Almost no reason to not just soak aggressively on those maps now until your team gets to whatever level they need to get their power spike. Losing obj on those maps means very little now. Certainly not worth dying over. Just soak and do camps and you can lose every single objective and still either be tied or maybe even ahead if they are falling behind on soak and camps to get the obj themselves.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Seems like against good teams that know how to soak, you would actively try to lose the early objectives so your waves don't start pushing into the enemy's side of the map.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Well, against teams that know how to soak, if they know the same thing, wouldn't both teams basically ignore the objective then and just let the waves push into them so they can farm safer? IE it's the Haunted Mines problem where the objective is not worth pursuing.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I for one look forward to the BHB coin hoarding meta.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Between the changes to hero/team league making solo queueing less friendly and these upcoming changes, I haven't played this game for 3 months and don't see that changing in the future. Which is sad because I love playing this game, but these changes can't be escaped like OP heroes can.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The ranked changes are a necessity because there are simply not enough people playing ranked to properly support the current system.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

ToastyPotato posted:

The ranked changes are a necessity because there are simply not enough people playing ranked to properly support the current system.

I am saying the current system is not good and I preferred it when you could not solo queue into team league, because solo queue team league games suck and now hero league has too long of queues. I'd prefer they revert it to how it was last season than merge the two.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ort posted:

I am saying the current system is not good and I preferred it when you could not solo queue into team league, because solo queue team league games suck and now hero league has too long of queues. I'd prefer they revert it to how it was last season than merge the two.

They added solo to TL because there were not enough people playing TL to support the old way. They are merging the two because there are not enough people across both to support two leagues.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i am so upset that i don't enjoy this game anymore. Its like i have a depression that only affects hots and i just don't enjoy anything, like there's just no fun. I want to have fun and I want to hear "chomp chomp" but it's like my brain just doesnt make dopamine when I play this. The first 400 hours were so much fun! What happened??

My only joy left is solo laning with inappopriate heroes like Valla and Jaina.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 7, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's great when you play support, and your team just feeds constantly so you can't actually heal anyone.

Then you get a load of "lol stukov poo poo healer gg" when you've got a 1/4 of the other team's healing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's great when you play support, and your team just feeds constantly so you can't actually heal anyone.

Then you get a load of "lol stukov poo poo healer gg" when you've got a 1/4 of the other team's healing.

It's also fun when you get a party member who demands you stick to them like glue all game because they're idiots who can assess risk. I had a Johanna one game demand I babysit him in the solo lane as Auriel, then throw babyfit the entire game when I refused.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Or when the DPS players rage about not targeting who they want when you are playing tank or healer and then get mad when you peel people off of the back line. lol just ignore the Garrosh/Muradin in the back line wrecking the team, just kill Orphea/Tyrande instead loool.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

i am so upset that i don't enjoy this game anymore. Its like i have a depression that only affects hots and i just don't enjoy anything, like there's just no fun. I want to have fun and I want to hear "chomp chomp" but it's like my brain just doesnt make dopamine when I play this. The first 400 hours were so much fun! What happened??

My only joy left is solo laning with inappopriate heroes like Valla and Jaina.

I just haven't touched the game in a month+. I still watch videos and read the thread but I'm free :)

I figured out the only way to win MOBAs, AMA

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

BrianBoitano posted:

I just haven't touched the game in a month+. I still watch videos and read the thread but I'm free :)

I figured out the only way to win MOBAs, AMA

I see it's the same as winning EVE.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/events/toys-2018/

I'm the troll doll Junkrat spray :brrring:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oh nice, Silver Surfer surfboard is the next gem purchase reward mount.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Despite the drama with the core dev team, the art team always impresses me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Erdricks posted:

Despite the drama with the core dev team, the art team always impresses me.

Is this a crosspost from a WoW thread :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm a little disappointed the stitches still has his guts hanging out. Would have preferred it zipped shut, I think the bear moving like Stitches does would have been eerier without it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What day does the ranked season actually end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Fan is playing DotA during HotS queues

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/a4gde6/fan_playing_dota_while_in_queue/

Jesus Christ Blizzard.

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveObesePoxVoteYea

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 9, 2018