Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for Microsoft to replace explorer.exe with KDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pram posted:

For the past few years, Microsoft has meaningfully increased participation in the open source software (OSS) community, becoming one of the world’s largest supporters of OSS projects. Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Linux open source project in the development of Microsoft Windows on the desktop to create better operating system compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation for all desktop developers.

neat

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lambert posted:

Can't wait for Microsoft to replace explorer.exe with KDE.

finally some aesthetic consistency

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

spankmeister posted:

Someone better go check on shaggar

who cares about that edgelord

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hopefully webass will kill javascript by the time this happens. the only glimmer of hope for the web is that maybe Microsoft turns chome into something good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Now that chrome has 100% control of the web maybe they'll just go back to pnacl.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
huh, so google controls the internet now. i have to admit, i didn't think it would happen like this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you've ever promoted failfox or chome this is entirely your fault

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well i'm certainly not going to use edge now

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

looking forward to republican shagger constantly saying chome is the best, fastest browser

nah he’ll just pivot to politics

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I'm Edgeing here.

heheh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

So everyone by now knows my pet theory is that Microsoft wants to drop Xbox as a home console, and make the Xbox brand a multi-platform thing, either as a cloud platform or a third-party developer or both.

Here is Phil Spencer to Barclays recently:

quote:

The thing that’s interesting for us as we roll forward, is we’re actually designing our next-gen silicon in such a way that it works great for playing games in the cloud [...]

Here he's talking about hardware, but it's clear he could be talking about server hardware, not home hardware.

quote:

We have a consumer use for that silicon, and we have enterprise use for those blades as well.

A few sentences later, I have a hard time believing "blades" can refer to home console hardware. Clearly the next Xbox is a server.

quote:

So if we can monetize that hardware over more cycles in the 24 hours through game streaming and other things that need CPU and GPU in the cloud, we will drive down the cost to serve in our services. So the design as we move forward is done hand-in-hand with the Azure silicon team, and I think that creates a real competitive advantage.

It sounds like here he's saying Azure servers that sit unused have a large cost. By running servers that are both Xbox cloud systems and Azure servers, they lower the overall expense of Azure?

other parts of the talk focus a lot on GamePass. this is the other big part of my speculation, because Microsoft wants to keep their Live and GamePass subscribers but bail on their Xbox. they basically need to move those subscribers to the cloud or to a service that exists on Nintendo/Playstation/PC, or both.

I've posted about this on Microsoft forums and it's just met with hostility and removed. I don't know why it's not a bigger story than it is.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/phil-spencer-buy-ea-next-gen/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Along those lines, I think it's telling that there have been constant rumors about how AMD is working with Sony to design Navi (AMD's next GPU architecture) specifically for the PS5 while we haven't heard poo poo about hardware for the next Xbox.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought it was unlikely before but after the edge thing maybe cloud gaming doesn't seem so outrageous.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mystes posted:

I thought it was unlikely before but after the edge thing maybe cloud gaming doesn't seem so outrageous.

you mean edge browser coming to Mac or?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
microsoft is desperate to get out of the video game business and are retreating as fast as possible, as i've said many times before

next is for sony to finally crater and explode into a million tiny fragments

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

For the past few years, Microsoft has meaningfully increased participation in the open source software (OSS) community, becoming one of the world’s largest supporters of OSS projects. Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Linux open source project in the development of Microsoft Windows on the desktop to create better operating system compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation for all desktop developers.

:yeshaha:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

So everyone by now knows my pet theory is that Microsoft wants to drop Xbox as a home console, and make the Xbox brand a multi-platform thing, either as a cloud platform or a third-party developer or both.

Here is Phil Spencer to Barclays recently:

Here he's talking about hardware, but it's clear he could be talking about server hardware, not home hardware.

A few sentences later, I have a hard time believing "blades" can refer to home console hardware. Clearly the next Xbox is a server.

It sounds like here he's saying Azure servers that sit unused have a large cost. By running servers that are both Xbox cloud systems and Azure servers, they lower the overall expense of Azure?

other parts of the talk focus a lot on GamePass. this is the other big part of my speculation, because Microsoft wants to keep their Live and GamePass subscribers but bail on their Xbox. they basically need to move those subscribers to the cloud or to a service that exists on Nintendo/Playstation/PC, or both.

I've posted about this on Microsoft forums and it's just met with hostility and removed. I don't know why it's not a bigger story than it is.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/phil-spencer-buy-ea-next-gen/

Why do you care so much about home entertainment if you don't have a home?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Why can't I use python in excel yet?

I can never avoid excel at least let me avoid VBA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i'm patting myself on the back right now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

*feels a swell of pride*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

:stare:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

i saw in a news feed that they are making a new slim xbone without a disc drive, so they are definitely heading in that direction

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kilometres Davis posted:

I think if you have 365 or 2019 you can write UDFs in javascript.

If you're trying to do something more complicated but can use a plugin, Excel DNA allows you to use c# with Excel pretty easily.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 7, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

didnt they say python was coming to excel tho

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

feeling loving artic winds over here

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

rude. he’s doing better now I thought

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Microsoft make the xbone support 802.1x you fuckers

mystes
May 31, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Maybe if they rebrand some other product to Xbox for Business?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if apple can do it for their loving tv box then Microsoft can get poo poo and get to work

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

actually no, provably msft can't get poo poo to work.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

Maybe if they rebrand some other product to Xbox for Business?

full office suite and WSL on xbox enterprise

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Kilometres Davis posted:

you can try querystorm if sql is ok

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its windows 10 so it already supports it but theres probably no ui

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Will the Xbox Azure Cloud support it?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

spankmeister posted:

lol savage

i’m in australia right now living in a suite on my company’s property. rent is free, in fact they are paying me to live there.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don’t know if i’d call it a home. a large demon haunts the bathroom. if japan is really giving away homes i’m nabbing one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

lol savage

i’m in australia right now living in a suite on my company’s property. rent is free, in fact they are paying me to live there.

um, this is called slavery kevin, it's not good

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

um, this is called slavery kevin, it's not good

it’s serfdom you plebeian

no it’s just capitalism, just a pit stop on my way to DPRK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you really believe in noblesse oblige?