Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mandatory lesbian posted:

Separating that it shouldn't be a crime in the first place, how is prostitution not a sex crime, it's literally a crime involving sex

They're saying that it isn't a felony sex crime without an aggravating factor, not that it isn't a sex crime at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's always loving projection.

https://twitter.com/originalspin/status/1068901735559651331

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's gonna be great when a re-vote turns NC9 blue and makes the Republicans go under 200.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the darkly hilarious thing is that this is going to be used as "proof" of voter fraud when supporting disenfranchisement laws targeting the precise people who were defrauded here

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
North Carolina elections board chairman resigns, says he doesn’t want his partisan views to hurt election fraud investigation

quote:

Penry has fielded criticism from North Carolina Republican officials, who have pointed to his Twitter posts — which include a number of tweets highly critical of President Trump — as evidence that the board’s investigation is partisan and baseless.

“The investigation of criminal conduct and absentee voting fraud in the 2018 Republican primary and 2018 general election in congressional District 9 is a matter of vital importance to our democracy,” Penry wrote in the statement. “I will not allow myself to be used as an instrument of distraction in this investigation.”

Penry’s decision came after the nine-member elections board — which includes four Democrats, four Republicans and one unaffiliated voter — agreed unanimously Tuesday to delay certification of the results in the 9th District election amid allegations of an effort to fill in or discard the absentee ballots of Democratic voters.

:decorum:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Why couldn't he just recuse himself? Completely stepping down seems like a really dumb move.

Not like the NC GOP has been pulling any punches in terms of ratfucking as it is.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Speaking of GOP ratfucking: remember how the North Carolina GOP did a power-grab after losing the governorship in 2016? It's happening again in Wisconsin.

https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/1068778197888786433

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1068778197888786433.html

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

quote:

More on Justice Daniel Kelly: he wrote, comparing affirmative action to slavery, "Morally and as a matter of law, they are the same." That's the guy the GOP wants to upend Wisconsin's electoral system—and the national primary calendar—to defend.

:captainpop:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

In the 2019 Session of the Virginia House there is a bill called HB1642 is a bill that just collects data on how often prisons use solitary confinement. Here the blurb:

quote:

Solitary confinement; data collection and reporting; report. Requires the Department of Corrections to submit an annual report to the General Assembly and the Governor containing specified statistical information regarding the Department's use of solitary confinement, as defined in the bill.

How about we hmm idk outlaw solitary confinement because it is loving torture and has no place in a modern society? I encourage VA goons to call their state reps and start demanding that instead of asking for metrics that prisons will prob lie about anyways.

Edit: Also next year VA is proposing a state constitution amendment called Right to Vote I encourage everyone to spam your reps to tell them to vote for this loving yesterday.

Edit Edit: Let's not forget this amendment to the constitution of Virginia regarding a commission to draw the districts! HJ582

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 3, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

In the 2019 Session of the Virginia House there is a bill called HB1642 is a bill that just collects data on how often prisons use solitary confinement. Here the blurb:

How about we hmm idk outlaw solitary confinement because it is loving torture and has no place in a modern society? I encourage VA goons to call their state reps and start demanding that instead of asking for metrics that prisons will prob lie about anyways.

bills like this are part of a political strategy designed to end there

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

bills like this are part of a political strategy designed to end there

Doesn't make it any less infuriating. If residents of a state are loud enough about this "political strategy" things can change. State Politics is so drat important and it really enrages me that it gets NO coverage and people just...don't care.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

Doesn't make it any less infuriating. If residents of a state are loud enough about this "political strategy" things can change. State Politics is so drat important and it really enrages me that it gets NO coverage and people just...don't care.

sure, but the residents of virginia are not yet loud enough, and the point of bills like this is to get information in order to get residents loud enough on the issue

it's not intended to satisfy people who want to abolish solitary confinement. it's intended to get information useful for swaying people who don't currently want to abolish it or don't care enough to have an opinion. so you shouldn't be satisfied with it, but you also shouldn't attack it as trying to satisfy you because that's not at all what it's trying to do. it's trying to shine a spotlight on the practice.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

sure, but the residents of virginia are not yet loud enough, and the point of bills like this is to get information in order to get residents loud enough on the issue

it's not intended to satisfy people who want to abolish solitary confinement. it's intended to get information useful for swaying people who don't currently want to abolish it or don't care enough to have an opinion. so you shouldn't be satisfied with it, but you also shouldn't attack it as trying to satisfy you because that's not at all what it's trying to do. it's trying to shine a spotlight on the practice.

I hope you are right. Though I am always inherently suspicious of prisons in general and I have very little faith that the metrics they will be reporting will be accurate which is why I am up in arms about it.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
drat its hard to find a state legislature job in texas

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Washington just passed a pretty cool family and medical leave bill. Functions sort of like social security except it pays off when you have a sick family member or new baby instead of when you're old. 0.2% of your pay (split between you and your employer) goes in and then the program pays you 90% of your normal salary when you take time off.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Washington just passed a pretty cool family and medical leave bill. Functions sort of like social security except it pays off when you have a sick family member or new baby instead of when you're old. 0.2% of your pay (split between you and your employer) goes in and then the program pays you 90% of your normal salary when you take time off.

Way to go, Washington! Here’s hoping Colorado’s newly all-blue state government does the same - they’ve made it clear that’s one of their biggest priorities.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm really mad about what's happening in Wisconsin but don't know what to do about it. I'm not in a position to protest and all my local reps are Republicans. :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm really mad about what's happening in Wisconsin but don't know what to do about it. I'm not in a position to protest and all my local reps are Republicans. :(

that is sort of the point, republicans have basically accepted they're more interested in power than in democracy and so giving you the finger and making sure you can't do anything about it is what they're going for

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

that is sort of the point, republicans have basically accepted they're more interested in power than in democracy and so giving you the finger and making sure you can't do anything about it is what they're going for

Oh I know. I'm not surprised or anything, just angry. I feel like all the effort I put into getting Evers elected was for nothing and he was the only candidate I canvassed for that won. :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh I know. I'm not surprised or anything, just angry. I feel like all the effort I put into getting Evers elected was for nothing and he was the only candidate I canvassed for that won. :(

The best thing you'll be able to do is canvass for the Democratic candidate for the Wisconsin Supreme Court seat coming up for election next year. If Democrats take that seat, then suddenly the Wisconsin Supreme Court can start striking down egregious nonsense like your hilariously gerrymandered maps because it goes from 4-3 conservative to 4-3 liberal.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

The best thing you'll be able to do is canvass for the Democratic candidate for the Wisconsin Supreme Court seat coming up for election next year. If Democrats take that seat, then suddenly the Wisconsin Supreme Court can start striking down egregious nonsense like your hilariously gerrymandered maps because it goes from 4-3 conservative to 4-3 liberal.

Sadly I am moving away in January so this will have been the last Wisconsin election I participate directly in, most likely.

I will convince my parents to vote Dem but they're too old and busy to really canvass.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JoeBrunoWSOC9/status/1069719818574675969

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Lookin' like the republican won GA Secretary of State and only about 1.2m people bothered to turn out for a state-wide office after THAT loving disaster of a midterm in this state.

I'm legit disappointed.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/ChazNuttycombe/status/1070187588361879552
Democrat's best chance of picking up the Montana senate seat in 2020.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/ChazNuttycombe/status/1070187588361879552
Democrat's best chance of picking up the Montana senate seat in 2020.

Tester did walk that back apparently, saying he misheard the question. He probably jumped the gun on the announcement but I'd bet it is accurate in the end.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress solitary either makes you a nut or turns you into a sociopath able to hold 3 or 4 personalities. Which is bad for all of us.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The Maricopa County Democratic party is having an actual election on Saturday for reorganization.

In previous years, it's mostly been one person being nominated and then selected by acclimation by the body.

This year, every single seat has at least two people running, and in cases where there's three we'll have to use Instant Runoff.

I've got to say, elections where you're choosing between multiple good candidates are way more challenging than ones where it's a shithead versus a decent human being.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The Maricopa County Democratic party is having an actual election on Saturday for reorganization.

In previous years, it's mostly been one person being nominated and then selected by acclimation by the body.

This year, every single seat has at least two people running, and in cases where there's three we'll have to use Instant Runoff.

I've got to say, elections where you're choosing between multiple good candidates are way more challenging than ones where it's a shithead versus a decent human being.

Just be sure that the entire organization doesn't fall apart after the election because of bad feelings like I saw happen with a DTC I worked with like a decade ago.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1071156700592377856

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the sheriffs in durham and mecklenburg counties in nc won their elections by huge margins campaigning on refusal to work with ice

the city of durham and the police chief are actually being sued because the city council adopted a statement by the mayor opposing police militarization which mentions training with israeli cops

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
County govt is the last bastion of sanity in the united states IMO.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TropicalCoke posted:

That's a change.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lycus posted:

That's a change.

It gratifies me immensely that Trump's Who's Who of right wing notables have become a Who's That thanks to his "golden touch." How many supposed rising stars of Conservativism has he left on the floor with cut throats in his wake? 30? 50?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
2018: The Election Who Would Not Die

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1072674341509320705

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
County government structure and role varies massively by state.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Cool?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The common fruit fly lives a life span of 40 to 50 days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

hell same

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sorry, was responding to this:

TropicalCoke posted:

County governments work great in a handful of states, are actively horrible in a number of others, and are pretty immaterial on most major issues in the significant majority, when last I looked at the subject in detail. It has a lot to do with both a) how the state government devolves zoning power and b) who was buying off who thirty years ago. When things line up just right, the county government's scale of representation and authority is such that it's relatively independent, accountable and sane, but there are a lot of ways that their power gets overwritten or undermined.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So here in Kentucky we're one of those states that is blessed with an off-year cycle for Governor elections. Our current Governor, Matt Bevin, won on a pretty Tea Party platform including the destruction of the Kentucky medicaid expansion and to the surprise of many of the people who voted for him he actually tried to do just that, though he's been thwarted more than a few times by the state's Attorney General, Andy Beshear (who is also the son of the previous governor, Steve Beshear).

Recently Andy Beshear got a bit of a political win when his case against the state congress' attempt to sneak in a complete re-write of the pension system to a sewage bill (I think) with the state's supreme court upholding a judgement in his favor to strike down that law.

Bevin on the other hand has been getting other attention including an investigation into one of the many very special hiring decisions he's made since taking office, a number of which were of the 'kill the body and then reform it with all new people of his picking' nature. The most recent one is an investigation by the Louisville Courier-Journal along with ProPublica that has the governor getting a bit testy:

https://twitter.com/GovMattBevin/status/1073006874834976768

https://twitter.com/GovMattBevin/status/1073007434980052998

(He also made another tweet attacking ProPublica that I don't feel like linking)

Current declared lineup for the gubernatorial race is:

R: Matt Bevin (Current Governor)

D: Andy Beshear (Current State Attorney General)
D: Rocky Adkins (Current Minority Leader of the KY House of Reps)

We may also potentially see a return of meme candidate Allison Lundergan Grimes, though some people might run just to get their name out into the public sphere in preparation for 2020 when Mitch is up for re-election.