Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, I meant the actual rulebook itself. Nightvault supersedes Shadespire, correct?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thanks. After a long time keeping away, it occurred to me that this game would probably really appeal to a friend, so I'm going to see how it goes with her. She really liked Goreshosen (which I know is completely different) and this seems like a nice quick game that I can bring to her place, all the while indoctrinating her into the GW sphere.

I don't have sleeves for everything - will the cards hold up for a while until I pick some up? The Gorechosen cards were really flimsy, and I don't want to trash the Underworlds ones.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't have sleeves for everything - will the cards hold up for a while until I pick some up? The Gorechosen cards were really flimsy, and I don't want to trash the Underworlds ones.

Card quality, size and coloring are different between the boxes, so I'd err on the side of no. But you can just sleeve the cards you're actually using.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm just going to use the core cards for now, at least until we learn the game, so I'm not worried about card backs matching. I'm more concerned about the cards being easily damaged in shuffling.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, I meant the actual rulebook itself. Nightvault supersedes Shadespire, correct?

Yep. There are some slightly different rules which I cannot recall right now

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok. I figure that since you can't get Shadespire anymore anyway, Nightvault is probably the new core rule set, so I'll just use it.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I have some store credit and wanted to pick up two expansions. I know I want Ironskull's orcs, mostly because of the aesthetics and their aggro playstyle. From the original set of teams, what's a good second expansion? I'm leaning towards the skaven or the Khorne group with flesh hound, but should I consider the Farstriders? I've heard the skeletons are kind of weak and I hate how the dwarves look, so they're out.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

The Malthusian posted:

I have some store credit and wanted to pick up two expansions. I know I want Ironskull's orcs, mostly because of the aesthetics and their aggro playstyle. From the original set of teams, what's a good second expansion? I'm leaning towards the skaven or the Khorne group with flesh hound, but should I consider the Farstriders? I've heard the skeletons are kind of weak and I hate how the dwarves look, so they're out.

If you like the aesthetic, then grab the Orcs. If you like aggro playstyle (and winning), grab the Fiends.

Fiends/Farstriders had the best cards last round, but many of those are now on the restricted list for competitions.

Skeletons were weak, but this has changed now that the meta has shifted thanks to the banned/restricted lists.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does anyone know what the Release Schedule was for Shadespire? More specifically -- assuming Nightvault follows the same schedule -- any ideas when we might be seeing more news / the next Warband?

I've been a little burnt out from playing this game twice a week against the same opponent for the better part of this year, so we've kind of taken a break the last month and a half or so, but every time I see a new post in this thread I'm hoping it's something I didn't see from the Warhammer Community site :v:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I think the next warbands will be around February.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Looking forward to the wood elves and steampunk dwarves this cycle.

Lizards when?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Nash posted:

Lizards when?
Next season, probably.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Crossposting from the Oath thread;

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete
Still plagued by non-matt varnish, but took some time playing with the Vallejo effects paints this month.

In other news actually got a first game in last week using my Fiends. 4-way silliness with three other relative newbies and a horrifically un-optimised deck, but managed a joint first place, mostly on a diet of Nighthaunts (only the Briar Queen was left standing at the end).

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Those goblins are great, LazyAngel - I love the olive green skintone!

Got the Nightvault box and couldn't find anyone to unload the Sigmar models onto, so decided to keep them. Posting this here in the Sigmar thread too, in case people are interested in seeing some simple "not-Stormcast" conversion ideas.

Added some old Tomb Kings bits to them so they'd look like hulking armored Lords next to my collection of skeletons.

The slightest Stormcast got some extra work. I trimmed down the edges of the pauldrons so they're a bit smaller, shaved down the dangling arm-cloths to be a bit thinner, and hacked off the giant chunk of billowing cloak. I also trimmed the skull to have a more delicate jawline and orbital bones. All of the changes are subtle, but I think they really make a huge difference in the overall proportions.

They'll be painted turquoise and bronze to match my Tomb Kings, with a stripe of animal pelt (leopard/tiger) on the tabard. I think the bright vertical stripe will slim them down visually, since "fat C-3PO" is a Stormcast look I'm trying to move away from.

Here's some more peasants to serve their new chunky Lords.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some cool minis in here! Even if they were posted a while ago!
Anyway, Mollog's Mob and Godsworn Hunt preorders coming up https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/13/next-weeks-pre-orders-underworlds-titans-and-middle-earth/

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I am really looking forward to the Hunters. I'm just hoping they won't be tournament-legal for the Warhammer World Grand Clash I'm going to on the release date.

Jimmysip
Aug 27, 2012
Just got the core set of Nightvault and I'm loving the variety of warbands out there. Hopefully they'll do some seraphon at some point but there's at least four warbands I like the look of enough to buy so far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/14/14th-jan-warband-focus-mollogs-mobgw-homepage-post-1

Troll preview!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Looking good! I especially like the stalagsquig and the way it can be put on any hex.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The squiggs seem really tough to use. Like where do you put the Stalagsquigg out of the gate?

Hobble seems like a really good Ploy, though. I always liked a "heavy denial" deck with like Frozen in Time, Invisible Walls and stuff like that.

edit; Also what about Healing with this warband? Healing Potion, Regeneration, Vampiric Weapon etc.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 14, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

The squiggs seem really tough to use. Like where do you put the Stalagsquigg out of the gate?

Hobble seems like a really good Ploy, though. I always liked a "heavy denial" deck with like Frozen in Time, Invisible Walls and stuff like that.

edit; Also what about Healing with this warband? Healing Potion, Regeneration, Vampiric Weapon etc.

It would be helpful for Mollog.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I imagine there’ll be a play that lets you restore a few wounds by munching on a fighter you just knocked out of the battle.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I like how the fluff for poketroll is that he just wants to have a nap in peace and some assholes don't let him be comfy :3:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/15/15th-jan-warband-focus-godsworn-huntgw-homepage-post-1/

And now the Hunt!

Do not like the look of them one bit, to be honest.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 15, 2019

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Do not like the look of them one bit, to be honest.
Me neither. It looks like it's going to be a jack of all trades band. The Oath objectives do look kind of interesting though...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea they look like Reavers but even less intimidating?

The Oath mechanic is a neat idea but I think I'd absolutely hate playing it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
They look pretty cool to me, although I’m not allowing myself to buy any more until I’ve painted the original war bands.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the oath mechanic and their flexible nature. They'll probably take some effort to get to work, which I also like.
My biggest problem with them right now is their bland artwork.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I really like them, aside from some of the armour.

The gambling side is a neat mechanic and will allow some interesting deck builds, as you can have quite a variety of objectives in there due to their scoring range.

They’re a hybrid/flex warband, which is mostly what I play.

Had some more Grand Clash practice on Monday, against two different Dwarf players. My ghosts managed to hold them off, which surprised me as one of the decks is hyperaggro and I expected to lose. Won 20-7, which is a personal best!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I had no idea there was a dedicated SS/NV thread. I bought the core NV box, plus Zarbag and the Nine. I've not had a chance to try it yet but I'm itching to play, and will definitely be getting Mollog on release.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
GW has some pretty drat weird ways of promoting their stuff sometimes :stare:

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1087403766947680258

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

GW has some pretty drat weird ways of promoting their stuff sometimes :stare:

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1087403766947680258

Oh you're still doing that? Nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm thinking of picking up a Shadespire warband, since some clubmates want to start and I haven't bought Gee-dub minis in 15 years.

I kind of like greenskins. Is there a reason for a beginner to either pick the night gobbos or the orcs as a starter warband? Or are both just as valid starting points?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Orcs are pretty simple, but does have some fun descisions about what to do with the two weak warband members. They're one of the Shadespire warbands so they can't use magic, if that's important.
Goblins are trickier, with a lot tricks, and the most fighters of any warband. They can use magic.
Mollog's Mob is coming out on saturday. It's pretty much one super strong troll supported by a few squigs.

They're all fine as a first warband, the choice mostly comes down to want you want to do in the game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

Orcs are pretty simple, but does have some fun descisions about what to do with the two weak warband members. They're one of the Shadespire warbands so they can't use magic, if that's important.
Goblins are trickier, with a lot tricks, and the most fighters of any warband. They can use magic.
Mollog's Mob is coming out on saturday. It's pretty much one super strong troll supported by a few squigs.

They're all fine as a first warband, the choice mostly comes down to want you want to do in the game.

Cool. Since I haven't played it yet it's hard to say yet which style I'll like, but I'm happy to hear that none of them would be a complete trap option for a beginner. I'll probably end up going with the one that looks coolest once I see them in the store. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

lilljonas posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Shadespire warband ...

Are you thinking of eventually picking up more, or is this a "one-and-done" purchase?

Personally I'd probably avoid playing this game if your intent is to only 1 buy Warband. You really need the full set of cards to have any semblance of fun, IMO. You could always just proxy them, but that's kind of a pain.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably not recommend skeletons or Eyes of the Nine as a first warband. They aren't complete crap, but they can be very frustrating to play.

You definitely need to be able to construct your decks with all the cards to get the most out of the game, but proxying isn't too bad if you only proxy the cards that you want to use.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Are you thinking of eventually picking up more, or is this a "one-and-done" purchase?

Personally I'd probably avoid playing this game if your intent is to only 1 buy Warband. You really need the full set of cards to have any semblance of fun, IMO. You could always just proxy them, but that's kind of a pain.

It kind of depends, but I like the idea of having a very quick and almost deployment-free minis game for those days where we end up mostly doing terrain or painting at the club. But I can also see myself ending up maybe buying a set every other month or so, just to paint neat minis since I don't currently play any fantasy games.

As long as the other players don't go bananas and buy all the sets, you shouldn't be too overwhelmed right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

lilljonas posted:

It kind of depends, but I like the idea of having a very quick and almost deployment-free minis game for those days where we end up mostly doing terrain or painting at the club. But I can also see myself ending up maybe buying a set every other month or so, just to paint neat minis since I don't currently play any fantasy games.

As long as the other players don't go bananas and buy all the sets, you shouldn't be too overwhelmed right?

I think the Underworlds boxes are a great value: 3-9 models for $25-30 is a great price for GW. So if you might just slowly buy stuff to paint then that's cool.

If the rest of your group is on a similar page then you'd probably be fine too. But yea it'd definitely suck to be the lone man out when everyone else buys the whole set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you just play for the hell of it then it should be fine, but probably not very balanced. There are several cards that are banned or restricted in organized play, so if you have more or them, or the ones you have work better with your warband, then you'll have an edge in casual play. But again, it's not a huge deal if you only play casually.