Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
They're not one-time use or anything, are they? And what if the guy who carried it dies - I assume that it'll be in the 'loot pile' at the end of the battle?
I've never actually seen one, despite playing several campaigns through to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

They're not one-time use or anything, are they? And what if the guy who carried it dies - I assume that it'll be in the 'loot pile' at the end of the battle?
I've never actually seen one, despite playing several campaigns through to the end.

Yeah they're not one-time use. One use per battle. I never had the falconer die in battle but I assume it would show up in the loot pile.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
they're reusable like doggos

don't remember having the carrier get whacked, but the fact that I don't remember implies that I never went "oh right, I forgot to buy a new bird"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Is the heavy dog armor actually useful or can I waste all my Unhold hides on larger quivers?

Also, is the Bone armor addition that makes you immune to the first hit every combat worth it? Seems like it could be pretty good for lategame stuff that hits hard.

the heavy dog armor is quite good, seems to be more than double standard dog armor. I have 6 dogs in the better armor now and I actually feel competent unleashing them against groups of enemies instead of saving them for running stuff down or just the ends of enemy walls. It also looks pretty cool on them, I really wish the wolf-made armor had a unique image instead of the basic armor one. OTOH you should probably make some big quivers first, I'm playing in a pretty foresty map and go out of my way to take down unholds for their sweet sweet leather.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Five days?

Out of curiosity, what's your daily wage rate, so you can tell how much you actually made?

most of my brothers at the time were farmers and brawlers and the like so probably 500-600 gold per day, so a very nice chunk of change. especially after killing a goblin war party without losing anybody(though that was mostly due to extremely lucky rolls).

also everybody loves Hans the companion!

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 7, 2018

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Roobanguy posted:

also everybody loves Hans the companion!

MY BRO

ive gotten that event its rad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Hey I finally got the caravan hand expanding your cart event. I never had that fire before. Really helpful with all these reagants I'm hauling around.

Also maybe they always existed but around day 30 in this campaign I got a couple of mid level undead missions against auxiliaries and two necrosavants. Wasn't expecting that, and my poor wildman bro I just hired got decapitated in the process but some of the stuff you can craft from their dust is nice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I see that there's now also a second-tier cart ambition where you say "this puny cart isn't enough, we need a full-blown wagon for all our poo poo" and I'm glad they added that because there's so much more crap cluttering my inventory now.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Count Uvula posted:

Distract all but one schrat with tanks-- you want nimble/dodge dudes or folks with indomitable (or both), and either way they should have a shield equipped. You can easily avoid polearm users getting hit by putting them in tiles that are in cardinal directions from the schrat, which just leaves your close-range boys. The absolute ideal scenario is 5 dudes with two handers and 1 dude with taunt and high mdef, but all you really need is good enough damage that you can move on to the next schrat before any of your distractions die. Without taunt or if your tank there gets real hosed up, footwork will help your dudes escape with their lives.

I don't know the break points for being able to break the schrat shields efficiently, but dudes with axe mastery can definitely break the shield in one turn if they have the military axes or 2-hander axes.

Thanks for the pointers, gonna have to give the ol' trees another try.

I've kinda gotten to a point where I feel all the new monsters are pretty okay to deal with, and also pretty fun to fight (haven't fought a kraken yet though). Except for alps, gently caress alps. I guess I'm doing something very wrong regarding them too, considering how little trouble other posters seem to be having with them, but it really feels like they need some kind of movement speed nerf or at the very least reducing the AP cost for waking bros up, so that the slightest mispositioning doesn't result in an extra five minutes of tedium and/or a full party wipe.

On the other hand, I really enjoy fighting the spiders. I like the fact that having too many twohanders can be a bit of a weakness in spider fights, since they won't be able to both free themselves from webs and hit something in the same turn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
yeah, Alps need their movement speed reduced but the strategy against them is straightforward and boring -- move all your dudes in a 1-space-between formation sweeping around the edge of the map clockwise or counterclockwise until you've caught them all. It's not difficult, especially if you are willing to reload, just a bit tedious.

edit: to be clear they need their move reduced to make the encounter less tedious if you don't have a lot of dogs, not for balancing reasons

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 7, 2018

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Dogs destroy alps, just release the hounds and stay awake

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So, "Paranoid", +5 melee def, +5 ranged def, -30 Initiative. Good trait or bad trait? I'm leaning Great Trait.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So, "Paranoid", +5 melee def, +5 ranged def, -30 Initiative. Good trait or bad trait? I'm leaning Great Trait.

Good, your melee bros won't be acting first when weighed down by armor anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

Good, your melee bros won't be acting first when weighed down by armor anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking hack a starting Axebro for huge/paranoid and then point at enemy and stand back

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A bro with Huge, Drunkard and something that increased hit chance, like a Greatsword, would be an intersting sight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

A bro with Huge, Drunkard and something that increased hit chance, like a Greatsword, would be an intersting sight.

Oh I had a Hedge Knight once with Iron Lungs and Drunkard. He was adorbs

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I have a paranoid bro and got an event about him. The event result was actually not negative, but I had the strong impression that a negative result could very well have been the case.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Walh Hara posted:

I have a paranoid bro and got an event about him. The event result was actually not negative, but I had the strong impression that a negative result could very well have been the case.

I got a "half your company takes a morale ding" event from my paranoid bro mumbling about the rest of the company conspiring against him.

still worth it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i had a huge, paranoid Hedge Knight with 2 stars in melee attack and defense and was feeling pretty good about my money spent, then he got pin cushioned by marksmen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man I'm not that far into this dlc campaign but thinking about restarting just because of how widely spread apart the contract towns are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

Man I'm not that far into this dlc campaign but thinking about restarting just because of how widely spread apart the contract towns are.

The best seed I've seen so far is BTUTEQITXI precisely because it's got this nice tight little loop of good trade villages and a good city right in the middle all within a day's travel. Travel time is wasted time.

edit:

Archer: Iron Lungs
Axe: Strong
Spear: Iron Lungs + Iron Jaw

I almost always use BBEdit on my startbros though, i like them to be Stromp Strong

Not my seed, just one I lifted from the Steam forums

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 8, 2018

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
All nimble trip report: pretty strong but you get hella rekt by cleavers, poison and spears. It does make economy a joke, however.

Nimble bros mixed with battleforged bros, however....

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best seed I've seen so far is BTUTEQITXI precisely because it's got this nice tight little loop of good trade villages and a good city right in the middle all within a day's travel. Travel time is wasted time.

Starting a new campaign today with VLWUKXVQMJ but may try yours if the map looks bad. I went for it because of the great starting bros:

Archer: Nightowl
Axe: Headhunter, Iron Lung
Shield: Athletic, Iron Lung

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Presented without comment:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
He deserves no comment.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geists can now melee attack normally.

i learned that the hard way. :negative:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 8, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
:argh: GARBAGE DICK YOU HAD ONE JOB

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Roobanguy posted:

Geists can now melee attack normally.

i learned that the hard way. :negative:

They've always been able to, just afaik they only do it on fleeing characters who happen to be adjacent when they don't have anybody they want to scream at in range (or as attacks of opportunity, usually on fleeing characters who happen to be adjacent)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

They've always been able to, just afaik they only do it on fleeing characters who happen to be adjacent when they don't have anybody they want to scream at in range (or as attacks of opportunity, usually on fleeing characters who happen to be adjacent)

thats just the thing, one took a swing at a brother who wasn't fleeing.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
They also do it on people who are immune or at least unlikely to get affected by their scream. And unfortunately, their attack can almost kill anyone it touches.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Spider hell is real.

It is where all good dogs get eaten.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/957475663918422474/08772CB492331B3D6C40BDA59EC27C6E012FD107/

It's conan the librarian

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wizard Styles posted:

Spider hell is real.

It is where all good dogs get eaten.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Captain Gordon posted:

Dogs destroy alps, just release the hounds and stay awake

Yeah, exactly. Dogs gently caress alps up. And if they sleep your dogs, that means they aren't sleeping your bros. Dogs rule.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So fun feature with the new Retreat mechanics:

Enemies don't chase if they believe they have no hope of catching you. I'm not sure if this is programmed as such to speed up retreat or just the way the AI works, but it means in the situation I posed above only 3 spiders actually bothered to chase GarbageDik from that position.

WizardStyles and I also found out that if you snap ESC and Retreat BEFORE enemies move it calculates the "can I reach them" using their FIRST move, so even if they could get to you on the first turn they sometimes ignore this because they assume you've retreated on your pawns turn.

So stuck in a battle you can't win? Reserve the team, pop on a shield on your GarbageDik and ESC Retreat right away.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just by the way, if anyone hires a Monster Hunter or happens to find any Pimps, Assassins, Orc Slayers or Crusaders, kindly strip them naked and send me pics for my Steam guide.

(At level 1, pics of leveled bros are obviously useless.)

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 9, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

Just by the way, if anyone hires a Monster Hunter or happens to find any Pimps, Assassins, Orc Slayers or Crusaders, kindly strip them naked and send me pics for my Steam guide.

(At level 1, pics of leveled bros are obviously useless.)

i assume you only want naked ingame pimps, assassins, et al

also, do you need more data points for other backgrounds?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 9, 2018

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i assume you only want naked ingame pimps, assassins, et al

This dude has pics of

IRL nekkid pimps & assassins

LQQK

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Victor Vermis posted:

This dude has pics of

IRL nekkid pimps & assassins

LQQK

that's the joke, yes

Monster Hunters, at least, are pretty easily acquired post-midgame. Little pricy, but I've hired at least two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
How the gently caress do you get a pimp, is that new?