Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I played Human Warrior in Inquisition, but I’m definitely going to play as an Elf Mage for DA 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I refuse to buy Trespasser because gently caress you put the real ending in the game I already paid for.

Inquisition was such a godawful mess.
:colbert: Inquisition had an okay, serviceable ending. You may not have liked it and it was an open ending that didn't put a nice ribbon on all the loose ends. But it was an ending.
Trespasser was an epilogue with heaps of sequel-bait

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't really think much either way of Inquisition's initial ending before Trespasser. Like many games it just kind of... stopped after awhile, but it felt conclusive enough for me. The larger issue was how by that point Corypheus was such a non-entity in the story past Act 1. I guess that was kind of the whole point though since Solas is the real villain working behind it all.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Elephant Ambush posted:

The "mmo filler" complaints are all completely wrong. Every side quest tells a small story of a minor character or adds to the history of the world.

I agree that DA:I was one of the best RPGS ever made (which is easy, as there aren't too many that are even good), and that the side areas have really interesting stuff in, at least if you're willing to read codexes. (I don't think they replay terribly well though, as rereading codexes is less fun.) But the collection quests are terrible - bottles and mosaics and worst of all the shards. I think that last is responsible for a lot of the criticism because it's very long, it's made to seem important, it involves the sort of tedious precise jumping action I thought would have died after Ultima VIII, and after all that the reward is you get to go to a yet another desert and have your resistances slightly buffed.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't really think much either way of Inquisition's initial ending before Trespasser. Like many games it just kind of... stopped after awhile, but it felt conclusive enough for me. The larger issue was how by that point Corypheus was such a non-entity in the story past Act 1. I guess that was kind of the whole point though since Solas is the real villain working behind it all.

To this day I love that Corypheus was introduced in DLC of Dragon Age 2 which many players would have never bought and he was the big bad in Inquisition, I'm surprised EA didn't slap this down to avoid confusing new players like they did with Harbinger in Mass Effect 3.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

I refuse to buy Trespasser because gently caress you put the real ending in the game I already paid for.

Inquisition was such a godawful mess.

I can understand that 100%

But you're missing out, because Trespasser was not only the true ending, it was also the most fun part of Inquisition.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Someone here once mentioned bringing back Velanna as one of Solas's minions and I really like that idea.

Also, bring back the dog

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, Fangz already mentioned that. This seems a pretty good guess. We still don't know the relationship between the Old Gods, the Taint, the Fade, (red) lyrium (which is actually Titan blood), the Black City, and the Evanuris who are presumably imprisoned in the Black City.

A working theory (that I subscribe to) is the Blight is a bio weapon created by the Elven Gods to destroy the Titans. Like Bio Weapons often do, it got out of control and created the Blight. Solas erected the Fade not just to punish Elven gods for killing Mythal but also to keep the Blight from literally destroying the world as he essentially locked the Blight into the Black City, which was originally Arlathan. Basically, Solas got all the Elven Gods to meet at Arlathan under the pretense of a meeting , and trapped them there along with the Blight.

However, Elven Gods are powerful as gently caress Mages and even though they were trapped in a catatonic/dreaming state they still had the power to project their wills out like a Dreamer mage might. They used that power to seduce Men into invading the Black City. The Elves hope was that they'd be freed by Humans ripping open the veil to enter the Black City.

For whatever reason that scheme didn't work, and the consequence was the Blight was unleashed into Thedas. Although, maybe it did work and the Elven Gods figured Solas would have to free them in order to stop the world from being destroyed as he wouldn't have the power to stop it on his own?

I dunno about the rest of my speculation but the Blight being a bio weapon to kill Titans makes a lot of sense to me based on the revelations in Descent and how it infects Lyrium.

I just can't figure out where the Old Gods would fit into this theory. Maybe given that art they have something to do with trapping the Elven Gods in the fade but Solas seems to imply that once he brings the Fade down the Elven Gods will be freed anyways so I dunno.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys are weird. I put 200+ hours into Inquisition before beating it, before any DLC came out, and I loved every second of it. I didn't want it to end.
It was everything I hoped it would be. I did every side quest that wasn't bugged.

The "mmo filler" complaints are all completely wrong. Every side quest tells a small story of a minor character or adds to the history of the world.

I never played any of the Witcher games so I'll believe people who say it does all the same things better but DAI is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and I've been playing them since the first Dragon Warrior on NES.

I like DAI a lot but there is no way the hours of shard collecting was worth the maybe two minutes of dialogue or codex entry you get out of it :psyduck:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys are weird. I put 200+ hours into Inquisition before beating it, before any DLC came out, and I loved every second of it. I didn't want it to end.
It was everything I hoped it would be. I did every side quest that wasn't bugged.

I never played any of the Witcher games so I'll believe people who say it does all the same things better but DAI is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and I've been playing them since the first Dragon Warrior on NES.

I absolutely loved DA:I as well. I spent over 100 hours on my first playthough, not including all DLC which I played later, as well as starting multiple new characters I never got very far with. It's actually my favorite Dragon Age game. However, and I hate to keep bringing the Witcher 3 into this, but it blows DA:I away in the quality of its content. Many of DA:I's quests are simply finding a note somewhere and then walking 50 feet to pick up the treasure chest tucked behind a tree. Or a dude who literally wants you to bring him 5 bear-asses, or kill X amount of "fade touched dingleberries." When folks refer to MMO-like quests, that's what they're talking about. There ARE some really great primary and secondary quest lines in the game and I don't think anyone is arguing that. But I'll also admit to being biased because Witcher 3 drat near ruined me on any other open world RPG, save New Vegas and Morrowind.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Oh dear me posted:

I agree that DA:I was one of the best RPGS ever made (which is easy, as there aren't too many that are even good), and that the side areas have really interesting stuff in, at least if you're willing to read codexes. (I don't think they replay terribly well though, as rereading codexes is less fun.) But the collection quests are terrible - bottles and mosaics and worst of all the shards. I think that last is responsible for a lot of the criticism because it's very long, it's made to seem important, it involves the sort of tedious precise jumping action I thought would have died after Ultima VIII, and after all that the reward is you get to go to a yet another desert and have your resistances slightly buffed.

And that's to say nothing of the sidequests that aren't blatant collect-a-thons, but still basically amount to the same thing. Like 80% of the refugee stuff in the Hinterlands, which amount to "the refugees are cold/hungry!", followed by clicking on random supply caches and killing a few goats, and then turning them in with no real fanfare or story significance beyond being told that the supplies will surely help.

Inquisition has a very weird disconnect from its open world, where it seems terrified of having you actually stop running around to interact with something for more than two or three minutes at a time. It doesn't let you stop and experience a story about the mage/templar conflict and how it is affecting the people who are caught in the middle of it, because it just assumes that the player is already sprinting towards the next quest icon.

Or even with the dragons, which might be entertaining fights, but with how the game presents them? Most of them are treated with less significance than any random monster contract you can pick up in The Witcher 3, because you're literally just stumbling into the dragon's little arena for a boss fight.

e: ^ Curse my slow typing! :argh:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don’t trust this story not to make me mad between Solas (and about everyone else) being crappy to the Dalish/elves in general, Solas wanting to kill the world ala Reapers sorta, and given the red lyrium idol speculation I have a terrible feeling something awful will happen to Varric. It’s ridiculous because it’s just a video game, but for every strong character or interesting codex there’s a lot of bad decisions or writing that’s soured me on DA. And God help me if they introduce Maevaris Tilani and proceed to gently caress her up completely.

The only thing that sparks my interest based on the teaser is a parallel to WoW’s Lich King expansion where you learn several common resources are tainted with Old God blood, especially in the form of a metal that took a very similar path to red lyrium - hearing voices, causing mutations, driving people to violent insanity. The final battles of that expansion bring you within moments of getting the planet obliterated because higher beings want that taint (which includes you) gone from the universe. Whatever Solas is trying to do will be in vain, and probably whatever you try to do will be too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

I like DAI a lot but there is no way the hours of shard collecting was worth the maybe two minutes of dialogue or codex entry you get out of it :psyduck:

Maybe it's a playstyle thing then because I'm an explorer. I never rush through games and I always try to look around and see what secrets the devs tried to hide from me. I found a ton of shards just by wandering around.

And I'm not normally a completionist but DAI made me want to find and do everything. I never thought about "this quest will take me X minutes vs how much dialogue or world building will come out of it". I wanted to do everything and discover as much as I could because I honestly love the world the writers built. I love how different cultures have different takes on its history and how they clash and cause problems, just like IRL.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just liked smoking weed and wandering around the pretty landscapes with my bros, tbh. The companion banter in DAI was really good, and made me want to take different combinations out just to see what they said.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh god yeah if this is touching more on Tevinter as we've been speculating for years, Maeveris will definitely be in it and I really hope they get her right.

The figure on the left of the mural is absolutely not Solas, whose most notable feature is his baldness. I read a theory that it's Falon'Din with his oaken staff and I like that, I can go with that. I don't think he has any beef with Fen'Harel beyond the whole sealing away thing though so hardly a battle long in the making.

I hope we find out what originally happened to Mythal. I played through the Well of Sorrows the other day and had forgotten those details. She was murdered and it wasn't Fen'harel's fault. They were pals. She's dead for good now though I guess.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My wild speculation is that the figure on the left is entirely a new character, which is possibly an elf seeking to become a new Evanuris, which would be a good way for DA4 to evolve the elf plot without resolving Solas in one game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
They should resolve the series in this game (which I'm not even confident is coming). Don't press your luck; kill Solas and wrap up the franchise.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I seem to vaguely recall somewhere that a 5 game series was the plan?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I seem to vaguely recall somewhere that a 5 game series was the plan?

I think that's right. From what I remember they actually had story beats written out for 5 games, unlike the Me series where they winged it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In da2 Sandal does a prophecy "when he rises, all will see"

Actually here's the whole thing he says

""One day the magic will come back - all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide. When he rises, everyone will see."

I always like to look back and find hints to things way, way later in the series

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Personally, rather than kill Solas, it would be really cool if DA4 ends with Solas actually doing the thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Transmogrifier posted:

Their pattern so far has been reintroducing a companion from the previous game. Anders from Awakenings, Varric from 2. It's safe to assume that Dorian is likely going to be an important NPC, maybe even helping to establish your base of operations while in Tevinter, as like an extension of the Inquisition. Iron Bull can be alive or dead, and I really doubt they'll take the Leliana retcon approach for him. All companions aside from the initial three (Cassandra, Varric, and Solas) are optional, and while it doesn't mean they can't be in the next one, it would be awkward to write them in for that possibility. Solas obviously isn't going to be a companion, and Cassandra can end up becoming the new Divine. I can't imagine she would be allowed to return to her roots.

So that leaves Varric! Which actually makes sense with the reveal of the red lyrium idol in the video. I did some googling since it's been awhile since I played but there's no mention in the Keep about your red lyrium decision in DA2, and even if you choose to let Varric keep it, he has it sequestered away in a vault that he had specially made to counteract the idol's effects where it can't hurt anyone. Varric is probably the most knowledgeable when it comes to it, especially since your Hawke may or may not be dead depending on your choices and I doubt they would ever bring your Warden, Hawke, or Inquisitor forward in a companion role. He's also your direct and only link to Bianca, who is learning more about it, and I guess is actually more knowledgeable than Varric in that case.

In short: I am a nerd and I welcome my dwarf bro Varric back into my ranks.

Varric is canonically Kirkwall's viscount at the end of Trespasser though. I imagine he'd be pretty busy. Maybe bring him in for a sidequest or advisory role, but I don't think he's around to shoot things with Bianca.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
re: who's coming back from previous games as a party member

Dorian is very probable
Scout Harding is extremely probable (she's even in the very final Trespasser cutscene IIRC where you stab the map of Tevinter)

Wild card option, since this is likely set in Tevinter and will probably heavily involve the Qunari:

Tallis

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Varric is canonically Kirkwall's viscount at the end of Trespasser though. I imagine he'd be pretty busy. Maybe bring him in for a sidequest or advisory role, but I don't think he's around to shoot things with Bianca.

They could make Bianca playable...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fangz posted:

They could make Bianca playable...

I hope she still has no run animation so she toddles around at superspeed

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh god please no

I'm guessing the dwarf lady from The Descent might pop up, maybe as a minor villain or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lo GAIN Lo GAIN Lo GAIN Lo GAIN

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
It'll be Merrill come to take her birthright

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

re: who's coming back from previous games as a party member

Dorian is very probable
Scout Harding is extremely probable (she's even in the very final Trespasser cutscene IIRC where you stab the map of Tevinter)

Wild card option, since this is likely set in Tevinter and will probably heavily involve the Qunari:

Tallis

Harding seems likely. I imagine it's a new protagonist though, not only because of how Trespasser ended but because that's generally what Bioware does.

I wonder what the PC's gimmick will be. I guess Hawke doesn't have any special attributes other than a family history with Corypheus but the Warden is a Warden and so special because of that and obviously the Inquisitor had the whole anchor thing.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

:doh: I completely forgot about that, thanks.

I like the suggestion of Scout Harding. She was a fan favorite too.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The gigglesquee will not be denied.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Oh god no

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Tallis

I'd be perfectly happy with this. She even gets a mention in a document in Trespasser.

Admiral Ray posted:

This would also be good.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Maybe Sandal will finally take his rightful place as a full companion

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Harding will be there. So will Dorian. The others will probably be new.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eating only apples posted:

In da2 Sandal does a prophecy "when he rises, all will see"

Actually here's the whole thing he says

""One day the magic will come back - all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide. When he rises, everyone will see."

I always like to look back and find hints to things way, way later in the series

Yeah, this basically tells us that Solas will succeed. And do note, it's never said that tearing down the Veil will kill everything. It's one of the possible outcomes, but not the only one. I can see them breaking the setting open for a host of cool, new game mechanics in DA5. If we get a DA5.

eating only apples posted:

The figure on the left of the mural is absolutely not Solas, whose most notable feature is his baldness. I read a theory that it's Falon'Din with his oaken staff and I like that, I can go with that. I don't think he has any beef with Fen'Harel beyond the whole sealing away thing though so hardly a battle long in the making.

I hope we find out what originally happened to Mythal. I played through the Well of Sorrows the other day and had forgotten those details. She was murdered and it wasn't Fen'harel's fault. They were pals. She's dead for good now though I guess.

Well, you could be right. But the teaser is announced with @TheDreadWolfRises. Solas has been depicted on various murals of similar style to this one with a three eyed wolf. It's possible Solas is on the right in this picture. Which would beg a whole new set of questions. I just find it hard to believe that Solas would not be in that picture. He's either the figure on the left, who actually does look bald to me, or he's the wolf on the right.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is there a release date? I’d rather go into the game totally blind (if it’s worth playing anyway), so not going to watch the trailer.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I absolutely loved DA:I as well. I spent over 100 hours on my first playthough, not including all DLC which I played later, as well as starting multiple new characters I never got very far with. It's actually my favorite Dragon Age game. However, and I hate to keep bringing the Witcher 3 into this, but it blows DA:I away in the quality of its content. Many of DA:I's quests are simply finding a note somewhere and then walking 50 feet to pick up the treasure chest tucked behind a tree. Or a dude who literally wants you to bring him 5 bear-asses, or kill X amount of "fade touched dingleberries." When folks refer to MMO-like quests, that's what they're talking about. There ARE some really great primary and secondary quest lines in the game and I don't think anyone is arguing that. But I'll also admit to being biased because Witcher 3 drat near ruined me on any other open world RPG, save New Vegas and Morrowind.

The only difference between the witcher and dragon age 3 is that in the witcher 3 I'm holding down the trigger to find the bread crumbs but in dragon age 3 I'm clicking in the thumbstick to find the bread crumbs. Oh and Dragon Age's combat is miles ahead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Smol posted:

Is there a release date? I’d rather go into the game totally blind (if it’s worth playing anyway), so not going to watch the trailer.

lol, release date

This is the first real confirmation that there will be a DA4 at all.

I don't expect this to drop before 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Torrannor posted:

Well, you could be right. But the teaser is announced with @TheDreadWolfRises. Solas has been depicted on various murals of similar style to this one with a three eyed wolf. It's possible Solas is on the right in this picture. Which would beg a whole new set of questions. I just find it hard to believe that Solas would not be in that picture. He's either the figure on the left, who actually does look bald to me, or he's the wolf on the right.

Oh the wolf is absolutely Solas, yeah