Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dante's older than 30 so I'm pretty sure he's a wizard at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

He has white hair and a hat, checks out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Dante: An uncle here for one last wild ride.

Nero: Played with swords and now has a cool robot hand.

V: Some kinda freakin' wizard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In retrospect, Ninja Theory’s attempt to build their own take on the brand by trying to take Dante down a peg was enough for me to hate them instantly.

I can’t think of anything less cool than a giant corporate spokesman releasing pictures of what is and is not “cool”, but beyond that Dante was so clearly beloved. If Dante has been a Leon or Chris Redfield or Samonosuke Akechi, any other dark brooding serious Calvin protagonist, Devil May Cry wouldn’t have been as fun. Maybe cool, sure, but Dante’s dad jokes, his love of quips and hootin’ & hollerin’, and his genuinely lovable attitude are why this series still has teeth, almost 15 years later.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
White hair. So is V Nero's half-brother, tying into Vergil being obsessed with his father's legacy to the point that he could've fathered two sons like Sparda did (and also to rub it into Dante's face that he never got laid), or is he Vergil reincarnated in some weird way>

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think it's kind of on the nose that V is going by the first letter of Vergil's name

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I thought DmC Dante had some good moments. The 'spin on it' scene with demon Bill O'Reily was worth a good chuckle.

Most of Limbo was great and I wish they used it for hell in DMC 5.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The platforming mechanics in DmC were a million times more enjoyable than any prior DMC, but Ninja Theory had such a boner for their traversal that every single level has a platforming segment and every single one lasts for a significant part of the level, so it swings right back to being horrible.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather play the "jump from container to container" part of DmC or the "snatch from orb to orb" part of DMC4...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it's kind of on the nose that V is going by the first letter of Vergil's name

He also summons DMC1 bosses and enemies and has a fighting style that utilizes teleports and spectral weapons, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes all Nelo Angelo halfway through the game.

That said while they're obviously setting up a connection between V and Vergil I kinda doub it's gonna be a blood relation. Wasn't there some interview or promo material that said V is a regular human who levels the playing field by using magic bullshit? While that could be a deliberate lie for promo/marketing purposes I don't see a reason to doubt it, especially when the last two games were already about humans getting the power of Sparda.

edit:

CordlessPen posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather play the "jump from container to container" part of DmC or the "snatch from orb to orb" part of DMC4...

The only two notable orb parts are the mineshaft and the spiky ceiling, and they last five and 15 seconds respectively. I think DMC4 wins this one for having less of it.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 7, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I ended up playing through DMC4:SE again, this time as the girls. I think I liked them more, to be honest, though having just about everything unlocked at the beginning probably helped. Playing as Lady definitely put a different spin on things, though she was also kinda easy mode tbh. Still, blowing up hordes of demons with grenades and rockets was a blast. But Trish was probably the most well designed character in the game. All of her moves were useful and fun to use, and I kinda appreciated having all of her attacks on different keys, no swapping needed, though of course it means she was a little less varied than the rest. Anyways, hope the DMCV demo comes to PC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
big fan of V's extremely anime "leave an impaled afterimage and teleport behind them" counter animation.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Also his face is cracking, almost like he has a mask on it or something.
That trailer is amazing holy gently caress. When Dante's part starts, in the first shot with the hat it looks like there's a lightning stage shining on him and I instantly knew what I had to watch next:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySY5YMoBp7c
the loving confetti gets me every time :allears:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looks like it. A sorta amalgam of Vergil's moveset (teleport, summon swords (?), maybe concentration meter) and Chaos Legion (but not quite).
That Bear/Cat thing also reminds me of the Shadow cats from DMC1.

Adding to the Chaos Legion discussion, it's got some pretty neat ideas, but gets dull as gently caress after about an hour.

Like, all the Legions have specific strengths and weakness, with enemies that are vulnerable/resistant to certain Legions, and they're pretty cool in their own ways; there's a sword one, gun one (which can be precision fired), claw one (speed and agility, but lighter damage), bomb one (highly damaging but short lived, but also can be used as traps), and two "defensive" types - a grappler (slow but powerful and can suplex poo poo), and a shield one (it's basically Royal Guard, but fires lasers).

And there's also Thanatos, but that doesn't count as it's a special one, and it obliterates everything.

As with DMC's weapons, what Legion you have equipped determines the main character's current abilities, and as they level up you can gain moves independant of the Legions - so you can use double jump without having to equip the Legion that specifically allows you to do that, or whatever.

There's also three modes; passive, agressive, and an insta-summon special move they all have - allowing a bit more direct control over the Legions.

There is some depth there, but the problem is that it takes too loving long to grind for EXP to level them up, you can only equip two Legions to swap through before the mission begins without any way to change them during the mission, and the general movement of the main character is painfully clunky, unresponsive and unsatisfying.

The enemy design is pretty bad with everything being a massive meat shield, and unidentifable messes of textures with cheap attacks, and seem like they barely flinch half the time. And even though they're designed with being weak or strong to specific Legions, they don't really take any advantage of that - it's either they're short/close range, or organic/inorganic. That's about the depth to that. They don't get any more difficult, or gain new moves, they just get bloated health.

The level design is just as bad; brown/grey/green/red literal blocks of brick texture, with the occasional "This is a Boss Arena" platform.

Music is pretty sick though - and they have a limited dynamic soundtrack, where the music gets more intense when Legions are on the field (at least, I think that's when it plays - it might not have been implemented, but those tracks do exist).

Anyway, the concept was neat, but the execution was limited.

Ya I had the pretty much same experience as you. It is a loving cool idea and it was prime Capcom but execution is off and by today's standards the gameplay is VERY basic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

christ every trailer makes this look even better, it's such an unbelievable leap forward from even 3 and 4. Everything looks like it flows together so much better, I'm so happy we have larger rooms for fights and actual camera control

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

That trailer has me convinced too. He shows some tech that Vergil had such as teleports and summoned "swords"(canes). Additionally, he's pals with DMC 1 enemies or enemies named after DMC 1 enemies (back when he would have been Nelo Angelo).

Alternatively, based on the fact that it has been mentioned that V is human, he could be a regular guy that has been possessed by Vergil's spirit or power or something.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want the twist to be he's literally just Adam Driver, and this is a normal day for him a la BrodyQuest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How did I forget hat Dante can put hats on enemies. That's incredible. Going to be very disappointed if I can't give bosses giant hats.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
howdy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So V is not fun to play? Because his concept seems rad.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It turns out V is just Noctis from Final Fantasy 15 somehow

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This game is going to be beyond belief isn't it...

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Playing this demo I sure am gonna have to get used to holding all these buttons again.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Reversing the inputs for Split........................

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope they don't take V too seriously because he looks and acts like he just walked out of Hot Topic.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you're at SSS style and get hit Nero puts on his hoodie of shame and it remains on until a story cutscene (as in, the short ones that mark the beginning and end of combat don't count) happens.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm watching the trailers and c'mon, anyone that's still hating on Subhuman isn't taking into account how good YOU CANNOT KILL ME is gonna be when you get to SSS.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
DMC4 is still under 10 euros on PSN. I cant handle the anticipation anymore so I think I'll be playing that tonight

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

looking for 2 more to pull my devil trigger

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

I hope they don't take V too seriously because he looks and acts like he just walked out of Hot Topic.

Hot take:
Having V being deadpan serious and contrasting it with quippy Dante and <angry swears> Nero would actually own, and this is the only franchise I trust could pull it off.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
DMC4's combat is really good but I don't like anything else about its gameplay. The glowing hook points, the spinning tops, finding a way through the castle, the dice, the appearing/disappearing walkway in the forest, the lasers... They're all bad which is why I prefer the Dante sections even if I prefer playing as Nero, since he has way less of all that. Oh and the Savior is bull.

Here's hoping DMCV does away with all that nonsense.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Renoistic posted:

DMC4's combat is really good but I don't like anything else about its gameplay. The glowing hook points, the spinning tops, finding a way through the castle, the dice, the appearing/disappearing walkway in the forest, the lasers... They're all bad which is why I prefer the Dante sections even if I prefer playing as Nero, since he has way less of all that. Oh and the Savior is bull.

Here's hoping DMCV does away with all that nonsense.

The same could be said for 3, where it's honestly worse because every place is some variation of "gothic castle corridor". At least 4 gets environments varied enough that once you go through a door you can instantly know what room you're in (unless the camera fucks around). I know that 4 is literally folded in half so it gets a worse reputation, but 3 wasn't a shining example of level design either :v:
But in V they did seem to take a lot of note from the DmC game, and maybe they're making the game more linear? I'd be extremely fine with that, I know it's more work for them to make every level seem unique instead of just "make world chop it up into missions" but level design was one of the strongest parts of DmC. The last trailer does reveal we will be revisiting levels, since V is fighting the Goliath that we've seen Nero fight before, so it's probably a mix of both.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

it was hilarious enough seeing dante dunk on the bosses in IV its gonna be even more hilarious to see the bosses get dunked on twice after they lose. that third fight better be them so pissed and embarassed they really go all out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zyla posted:

it was hilarious enough seeing dante dunk on the bosses in IV its gonna be even more hilarious to see the bosses get dunked on twice after they lose. that third fight better be them so pissed and embarassed they really go all out

First time around: YEAH IMMA WRECK THIS SHITHEAD WITH THE VIBRATOR ARM YEAH
Second time around: okay, that was hard but this 40-year-old virgin is fuckin' toast!
Third time around: GODDAMNIT I DON'T CARE THAT YOU HAVE A LIMP THIS FUCKIN' SUCKS I HATE MYSELF JUST DIE ALREADY

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kikas posted:

but level design was one of the strongest parts of DmC

I know this is kind of common wisdom, but I disagree with this. Most of the platforming sections were incredibly simple an uninteresting, I think there were only a couple of memorable battle arenas in the game, and the linearity significantly stifled exploration.

DmC had great environmental art, but I wouldn't equate that with level design. Granted, the series never had great level design even when it was trying to do the Resident Evil mansion kind of thing, so I can understand finding the lack of those elements to be kind of a refreshing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know this is kind of common wisdom, but I disagree with this. Most of the platforming sections were incredibly simple an uninteresting, I think there were only a couple of memorable battle arenas in the game, and the linearity significantly stifled exploration.

DmC had great environmental art, but I wouldn't equate that with level design. Granted, the series never had great level design even when it was trying to do the Resident Evil mansion kind of thing, so I can understand finding the lack of those elements to be kind of a refreshing thing.

Yeah I thought this would come out of the context of the rest of my post, but yeah here "design" is about art, not about how you go through a level.