Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Class in five hours and I can't sleep. Hold my caffeine I'm going in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEvTmF0FqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ilkhan posted:

Kids are a loving treat. Book presentation due tomorrow, 3 minutes long, specific requirements, he's had the assignment issue for months. We ask him to give us his presentation for practice. It's 58 seconds long. We ask for the assignment page and it also requires a visual aid (that he doesn't have) and a specific outline on how to present it.

Fun!

You left it a little late to check there buddy. How old is he?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

STR posted:

Is it the goon in the Dallas area, that runs Great Cartridge with his dad?

I've bought from him plenty of times (in person when I lived there). Always easy to deal with; he's wandered into AI a few times too. Can't find his thread anymore tho.

Yep - they're good people

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

Kids are a loving treat. Book presentation due tomorrow, 3 minutes long, specific requirements, he's had the assignment issue for months. We ask him to give us his presentation for practice. It's 58 seconds long. We ask for the assignment page and it also requires a visual aid (that he doesn't have) and a specific outline on how to present it.

Fun!

When I was young, I forgot that I was supposed to write a short paper (like, a page or something, this was grade school) until the night before. It was too late to do it, so my dad said that he would wake me up early and help me with it. When I woke up, he had handwritten the assignment. I copied it down and turned it in, got an A. I remember it well, a page in my dad's block print on Tutankhamun.

And then when I looked it up, he had literally copied the entry from our home encyclopedia.

I found out much later that my dad (who is an electrical engineer) hadn't written an essay since high school. He was thinking of just working in the mines, and my grandmother filled out his college application including the personal statement, and wrote every essay he was assigned in college. What's particularly funny about this is that he's not a bad writer ... apparently just a very lazy one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When I was young, I forgot that I was supposed to write a short paper (like, a page or something, this was grade school) until the night before. It was too late to do it, so my dad said that he would wake me up early and help me with it. When I woke up, he had handwritten the assignment. I copied it down and turned it in, got an A. I remember it well, a page in my dad's block print on Tutankhamun.

And then when I looked it up, he had literally copied the entry from our home encyclopedia.

I found out much later that my dad (who is an electrical engineer) hadn't written an essay since high school. He was thinking of just working in the mines, and my grandmother filled out his college application including the personal statement, and wrote every essay he was assigned in college. What's particularly funny about this is that he's not a bad writer ... apparently just a very lazy one.

Lazy like a fox

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Is it the goon in the Dallas area, that runs Great Cartridge with his dad?

I've bought from him plenty of times (in person when I lived there). Always easy to deal with; he's wandered into AI a few times too. Can't find his thread anymore tho.

I don't think he posts anymore.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You left it a little late to check there buddy. How old is he?
Just turned 15. He's...

Yeah, we did. We've been checking on his progress over the last week or so, and checking on his reading progress before that. But we didn't ask him to practice it for us until last night. Oops.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This is me. I've been told I'm a good writer but I just can't be bothered to do it because it bores me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nothing matters other than the Avengers trailer was released and it took approximately one hour to reach 1M "likes" on YouTube.

It is going to rule and I don't care to listen to anyone else that says differently.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking forward to it as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hate the American work culture of showing up to work even if you're super sick, to show you're such a dedicated and tough worker. We need to shun and mock those who show up and become the office typhoid mary. There's no way it helps productivity / profitability to get everyone else sick.

Of course I work with people who brag about flying across the country to take a deposition a week after giving birth, so you see what I'm dealing with here.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

MomJeans420 posted:

Of course I work with people who brag about flying across the country to take a deposition a week after giving birth, so you see what I'm dealing with here.

I can't even process this. Aside from 5 minutes occasionally checking email for the following 2-3 weeks, work was a no go after the birth of any of my kids. Granted, I'm fortunate compared to many not in my position. That doesn't sound like someone that "needed" to do it though. That's just... broken, to me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MomJeans420 posted:

I hate the American work culture of showing up to work even if you're super sick, to show you're such a dedicated and tough worker. We need to shun and mock those who show up and become the office typhoid mary. There's no way it helps productivity / profitability to get everyone else sick.

The only thing I hate even more are policies where employers demand doctors notes and have minimal paid sick days which force people to come to work sick.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I called in a personal day yesterday because I stayed up most of the night finishing a book two nights ago :shobon: (these books are good)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I put up with a lot of other poo poo at work because "I'm sick" is a complete sentence and I don't get hassled to come in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MomJeans420 posted:

I hate the American work culture of showing up to work even if you're super sick, to show you're such a dedicated and tough worker.

Blame the "employees are expected to operate like machines and never get sick, those who violate this policy will be penalized and/or terminated" attitude of employers who tend to offer little or no sick time/PTO and deliberately keep wages flat so their employees live paycheck to paycheck, making them less likely to take time off for personal illness.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I get five days of personal days a year, resetting December 1, and had to take two of them already because I caught the flu from the company Christmas party.

"why is your motivation so low sometimes"

gee i dunno

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
House closed, time to spend the next week off work, so i can work.

Now to sell mine and build that 30x40 pole barn...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats! I ripped out carpeting all morning! Home ownership is a curse!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

When you're poor and have kids, you just clean, scotchguard and pray..

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

The only thing I hate even more are policies where employers demand doctors notes and have minimal paid sick days which force people to come to work sick.

Yeah, we get four paid sick days a calendar year, and a doctor's note is required. When I got the flu a couple of years ago, I ended up paying more out of pocket for the doctor's visit (and Tamaflu prescription) to get the stupid note so I could get paid, than if I would have just taken the two days unpaid. Ridiculous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Lol welcome to your new full time job!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The past two printers I've had have been brother laser B&W printers. They're great but good luck configuring the wireless networking features on that loving 70s calculator screen.

I just plug them in with ethernet and they're great. I get Chinese ink for like $15 a cart and it lasts a year more or less.

Printers are poo poo technology just like bad tools.

In other news my Honda is not burning a quart of oil for every other tank of gas so that's cool.

(I'm always looking at new cars b/c I know this could last 100 miles or 100,000,000 miles)

The F series Honda motors are the functional drunks of the automotive world (those and the late 90s corollas).

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You literally only have to deal with the clunky interface once...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MomJeans420 posted:

I get paid hourly with no PTO.
I can't afford to miss work, so fukc 'em - I'm going to get everyone *else* sick.

slidebite posted:

Hi there! Only replace "minimal" with "no".

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You literally only have to deal with the clunky interface once...

I don't deal with it at all. Literally every network-capable printer I've worked with since 2000 (admittedly, this would be mostly HP printers) have a built in webserver. They're set to DHCP out of the box. Let it acquire an IP, then print out the configuration page to get that IP. Go to that IP from a browser on a PC on the same network and set up everything else there, including a static IP.
Printers still suck, which is amazing in TYOOL 2018.

edit: goddammit. I forgot to get my leftovers from our team lunch today before they cleaned out the fridge. This included a full piece of eggnog cheesecake, as well as the remainder of the salmon and rice I had. Nuts. I mean, I didn't pay for it, but I hate wasting good food, and it was good.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 7, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I get paid hourly with no PTO.
I can't afford to miss work, so fukc 'em - I'm going to get everyone *else* sick.

Hi there! Only replace "minimal" with "no".

I don't deal with it at all. Literally every network-capable printer I've worked with since 2000 (admittedly, this would be mostly HP printers) have a built in webserver. They're set to DHCP out of the box. Let it acquire an IP, then print out the configuration page to get that IP. Go to that IP from a browser on a PC on the same network and set up everything else there, including a static IP.
Printers still suck, which is amazing in TYOOL 2018.

edit: goddammit. I forgot to get my leftovers from our team lunch today before they cleaned out the fridge. This included a full piece of eggnog cheesecake, as well as the remainder of the salmon and rice I had. Nuts. I mean, I didn't pay for it, but I hate wasting good food, and it was good.

That's definitely harder than using a two button keypad once. You literally scroll down to your said and punch in your password.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is tire ordering day, heads up that ebay has a 10% off w/ $100 max discount coupon today - PHLDAYTEN

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i've convinced my father we need to buy a SCUT, instead of a lawn tractor. Cause gently caress the TT K46, but also because gently caress yeah moving snow with a bucket and back blade.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Happy 32 to me. I bought myself a Caboodle because holy poo poo they brought these back

However, the tray it has for <things> (seriously this is all new to me, I have zero idea what's supposed to go in there) is too shallow for the <things> I want to put in there. They hit the mirror.

However, I do have a 3D printer, and Solidworks.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My last running car fell victim to an 18" deep puddle in a city parking lot. :( Serves me right for running the K&N in the fender in winter.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

However, the tray it has for <things> (seriously this is all new to me, I have zero idea what's supposed to go in there) is too shallow for the <things> I want to put in there. They hit the mirror.

You could...put your weed in there?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

My last running car fell victim to an 18" deep puddle in a city parking lot. :( Serves me right for running the K&N in the fender in winter.

Thats not a puddle, thats a crater. Stop going offroading in your regular cars man.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

I am morbidly curious as to what a foot and a half deep puddle in a *parking lot* looks like, both full and drained.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Kazinsal posted:

I am morbidly curious as to what a foot and a half deep puddle in a *parking lot* looks like, both full and drained.

My flash didn't fire so I can't really show much of the car in the water, but it was up to the top of the sill on my Protege5 where it stopped. and up to my knees at the deepest. Given the ECU is on the passenger floor, I think it might be a total loss :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody helped themselves to several boxes of the flooring me that had been set aside for us. Looking to be about 200 sq ft short now of doing the entire second floor in a unified color and pattern.
Irritating but it was free so I guess I can sort something out.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

It is tire ordering day, heads up that ebay has a 10% off w/ $100 max discount coupon today - PHLDAYTEN

Looking forward to the burnout video!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

64bit_Dophins posted:

In other news my Honda is not burning a quart of oil for every other tank of gas so that's cool.

My Integra (B18A) burned >1 qt per tank.

It didn't leak a drop from the engine itself. The exhaust was dripping some, though. It was amusing when I finally gave up on getting it running right, gave it to a friend, and he tore into it. He said that when he unbolted the exhaust, a pool of oil ran out of the cat.

That loving car made James Bond cream himself with the smoke screen it could put out - anytime somebody got on my rear end, all I had to do was drop down a gear (automatic, but still) and goose it a bit. It also got me banned from parking in the parking lot of an employer, as I usually left right at open (and would smoke out the entire parking lot when I started it).

PO had put an adjustable FPR on it... and never changed the fuel filter. He had helpfully installed a gauge, which showed it dropping to <15 PSI when doing WOT snaps with it parked once it started smoking. Explains all the pinging (which probably had a little to do with why it burned so much oil).

DJ Commie posted:

My Civic suffered a similar fate (complete with picking up pieces of block, crank, rod, and piston from the road). :sigh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Queen Combat posted:

Happy 32 to me. I bought myself a Caboodle because holy poo poo they brought these back

I'm a little disappointed in your non-AI choice, QC. That catch and handle will stand up to very little abuse.

Whereas this:

Would make a much better cosmetics organiser.

Dimensionally, there are many similarities between cosmetics and tools, so they will fit in well:
Lipstick: sockets
Eyeliner pens: extension bars
Emery boards: feeler gauges
Foundation: Moly grease
Eyelash curlers: circlip pliers
Body butter: Swarfega
Aqua spray: WD40

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've made a huge mistake :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I sense a huge marketing opportunity here. QC, get onto it!