Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Did the 3DS remake add more music? The original's music was pretty good but there wasn't a ton of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Can you still not call anything the 'Philosopher's Stone' is the US?

Only Jesus is allowed to transmute anything into anything else. That is not the realm of heretic philosophers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

There are two color variations of the philosophers stone, with red being the more powerful variant. It being called the ruby prism here is actually more "accurate" to historical alchemists who would have cared about such differentiations rather than simply calling it the philosophers stone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do the switch versions of the arland games suck or are they just cut n paste ports of the vita versions

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well with all the Atelier talk lately and being over in Japan I managed to get ahold of Eschatology and Shallie for under $5 each (for PS3). I was really sad though because Shallie came with a free download code for Mana Khemia 2 (PS2 on PS3) but of course since it was a used game it had already been used. Japan is way too obsessed with selling used stuff 'complete'. If the code is already used just throw that bit away, jeez.

So, sadly skipping Ayesha, looks like I'm going to be playing the Dusk trilogy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Eschatology has the best gameplay of Dusk. Ayesha has the best story. Shallie has the best nothing, unfortunately

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has the best Shallie

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It has the best wilbell design I guess but the worst wilbell in balance because of how she's written

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I liked Brown Shallie's story more because it had less bad comedy and you still get to hang out with Homura. but it was the start of a bad time in atelier

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

casually pulling massive barrels and cannons out of a gathering basket to own the local wildlife

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

one of the biggest tragedies in shallie is that the sand dragon has really, really good boss music, but you will probably kill that sucker before it even loops because its hp is way too low

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been awhile since I finished Atelier Sophie but I definitely made a Philosopher's Stone in that game. It was even tied to a plot related thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
there's a point in lategame L&S where sophie asks you to make her a philosopher's stone, and plachta is like "well sophie and firis were barely older than you when they first made one"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How does Atelier L&S compare to Eschatology, which is my favorite of what I played? Going to see if I can track down a used copy tonight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

How does Atelier L&S compare to Eschatology, which is my favorite of what I played? Going to see if I can track down a used copy tonight.

L&S takes the gameplay concept of having engaging, complex crafting even further. I like the side characters more in L&S but the main characters more in E&L.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=943f6qM3IdU

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 7, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

there's a point in lategame L&S where sophie asks you to make her a philosopher's stone, and plachta is like "well sophie and firis were barely older than you when they first made one"

Way to be an rear end, Plachta.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's well known that alchemy is learned in one huge burst over a few years in your teens and then you barely make any progress at all after that. There's basically no difference between someone at the end of their learning spurt and a grizzled alchemy veteran

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Barudak posted:

There are two color variations of the philosophers stone, with red being the more powerful variant. It being called the ruby prism here is actually more "accurate" to historical alchemists who would have cared about such differentiations rather than simply calling it the philosophers stone.

The white philosopher's stone is an immature stone that can only turn lead into silver and grant partial rejuvenation. The mature red stone is supposed to turn lead into gold and grant full rejuvenation. The late Roman alchemist Zosimos of Panopolis believed there were four stages to creating a philosopher's stone: blackening, whitening, yellowing, and reddening. Later alchemist mystics would combine yellowing and reddening into a single stage.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 7, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Esty might be my new favorite Atelier character

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

do the switch versions of the arland games suck or are they just cut n paste ports of the vita versions

Cut and paste of Vita versions with a run and fast forward button. Also Rorona has a couple Atelier 20th anniversary remixes and Meruru adds a scene to show her side of the Rorona extra year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Esty is cool but Sterk is the true star of Arland

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sterk was the Atelier rep in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

She's definitely mine, I was stoked when they made her playable in Meruru, and then again in Rorona Plus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rather than do overtime in Rorona I'm going to start in on Totori. I've heard overtime is kind of balanced around having done enough to get the true ending or being in new game plus. Also it's got Meruru in it and I don't think I've ever played her game so I'd prefer not to do that yet. Maybe I'll come back to that later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You guys are blazing through these games

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Should we have a dedicated Atelier thread

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Atelier Series: Breaking Moe

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

You guys are blazing through these games

i'm on break yo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

cheetah7071 posted:

maybe not, the last one died due to inactivity

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Just discuss Atelier in the Steam thread obviously

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
meh think we're in a JRPG drought anyway until KH3 and then it starts again? something like that

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You might be better served with a better former Gust/Tecmo-Koei JRPG thread. I don't think Atelier is popular enough for its own thread sadly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cold Steel 4, a game for 3 people that can read japanese, got a thread. Just make a thread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just had Rorona crash on switch. Only lost half an hour but watch out

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
One of the things that made me bounce off the Arland trilogy is the thought of timed events I could miss if I was wandering around in the field on the wrong date. Is Eschatology like that? Do I need a guide? Or can I just sort of play it and bumble into stuff?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Getsuya posted:

One of the things that made me bounce off the Arland trilogy is the thought of timed events I could miss if I was wandering around in the field on the wrong date. Is Eschatology like that? Do I need a guide? Or can I just sort of play it and bumble into stuff?

E&L's events will all wait for you if they trigger while you're in the field. I think there's on event for the first recruitable guy whose name I forget that is missable if you don't get enough friendship with him by the end of the second period but unless you have DLC characters you can't even kick him out of your party so he's guaranteed to get enough

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got time locked out of getting one ticket on the second term, I had only two days left to use one more barrel bomb charge and it wouldn't let me leave the city.

Time to restart the game!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oh god its atelier firis im back in the nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rorona just crashed a second time, is anyone else having instability problems? Maybe I should just reboot my switch.