Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lettuce???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

bagual posted:

This having being painted over pretty much immediately plus all the loving american lettuce memes is cracking me up, hope we don't go to DOPS for facebook posts a few years from now

saying someone is gay as a way to offend them to own the fascists nice

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the dude who has emphasized over and over that he wants a peaceful transformation is more dangerous than the guy who says he wants to bring the dictatorship back

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

It's the same poo poo as the trump kissing putin one, just posturing. I lolled at the lettuce one though

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

nerdz posted:

I think it's more about trying to survive such a deadly love.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

Like Negrostrike put it, it is classical cold war political symbolism.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the markets are already divesting from mexico and into brazil, to the surprise of nobody

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Like Negrostrike put it, it is classical cold war political symbolism.

surprisingly enough people were way more homophobic back then, perhaps we shouldn't bring this poo poo back but it's just me

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nerdz posted:

surprisingly enough people were way more homophobic back then, perhaps we shouldn't bring this poo poo back but it's just me

:rolleyes:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's kinda hard, because it's definitely not meant as "lol they gay" but it is striking at deeply homophobic people that keep slobbering all over each other with what basically amounts to "lol you gay", not because you think that's an offense but because you know they think it's one. However, that's still kinda problematic on its own, right? But if it pisses off a fascist gently caress I can't condemn it.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The original is just a recreated picture of a fraternal kiss between the leaders of the USSR and East Germany, one of the more progressive communist countries with regards to homosexuality (and much more progressive than West Germany was) so in some ways the original feels like it delivers a homophobic anti-communist message. But also, who cares

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it was the '80s, everyone was terrible back then, especially with regards to gay people

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not homophobic in of itself, it's funny because the subjects of the art are conservative homophobes.

It's not 'ooh haha they're gay.'

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is a whopper of an article from The Federalist

quote:

The military governments that ruled Brazil in the ’60s and ’70s adopted interventionist “developmentalist” domestic policies and a neutralist foreign policy that moved it away from its American alliance. The United States was partly to blame for this, as it sought to distance itself from Brazil’s military-led governments. After democracy was restored in 1985, the country’s foreign policy continued drifting further to the left, and even more so when it was governed by viscerally anti-American former Marxists between 2003 and 2016.

What’s not very well known about Brazil is that, despite its colorful Latin ways, it shares a lot of common cultural traits and values with the United States, more so than any other country in Latin America. Brazilians look up to America, and the United States ranks as the number one destination of Brazilian overseas tourists. Since 2013, more than 2 million Brazilians visit the United States as tourists every year, despite a cumbersome and demanding visa application process.

Like America, Brazil is a profoundly Christian country. It has the largest number of Catholics of any country in the world (130 million, or 65 percent of the population), one of the largest numbers of evangelical, Pentecostal, and Baptist adherents (estimated at 44 million), and the third-largest representation of Mormons in the world. In fact, the American-founded and based LDS Church named a Brazilian apostle, the first from Latin America, to its Quorum of Twelve Apostles this year, the highest body of leadership in the church.

Besides being religious like Americans, Brazilians also have an entrepreneurial mentality, and they like both country music – they have their own style – and rodeo. Brazil currently has a higher percentage of entrepreneurs and small business owners than the United States does. According to a 2017 Pew study, Brazil is one of the most pro-American countries in the hemisphere, more sympathetic to us than both Canada and Mexico. This despite decades of widespread anti-American sentiment and indoctrination in academia, the media, and in government.

For well more than the past decade as a tech entrepreneur active in Brazil and as an activist in Latin American conservative and libertarian political circles, I have become convinced that Brazilians are not just ready, but would be thrilled to become America’s best friend in the region, especially if this increased their international stature and prestige.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

rename thread to: What’s not very well known about Brazil is that, despite its colorful Latin ways,

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

rename thread to: What’s not very well known about Brazil is that, despite its colorful Latin ways,

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more like Pablo klansman

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We're getting rid of the labor ministry and the labor courts. That with the erosion of rights during the Temer rights will see a giant rise of labor plantations on the rural areas and the "precariat" on the urban ones

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Sounds like a great investment opportunity.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

We're getting rid of the labor ministry and the labor courts. That with the erosion of rights during the Temer rights will see a giant rise of labor plantations on the rural areas and the "precariat" on the urban ones

What's going to happen to cases in the courts already?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

welcome to America

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1071355332285382656

good article

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Finally a comprehensive article on how the guardian went full neoliberal once Greenwald left...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao they wrote a Temer puff piece after the impeachment. gently caress these neolib rats

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
because of this thread ive started calling people communists when i see portuguese in video game chat. from what ive bothered to translate it makes them p mad

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://oglobo.globo.com/rio/policia-civil-intercepta-plano-de-milicianos-para-executar-deputado-marcelo-freixo-23303375

So the civil police in Brazil intercepted a plan from a death-squad being investigated over Marielle's murder to kill Freixo as well.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Relin posted:

because of this thread ive started calling people communists when i see portuguese in video game chat. from what ive bothered to translate it makes them p mad

Call them "petista" you're gonna piss them off even more

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Call them "petista" you're gonna piss them off even more

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Sooo, bolsokid's driver had 1,2 million in money moved through his account, even a 24,000 transfer to bolsowife.

Obviously the commission that published this report, and over a thousand more in the car wash thing over the years, is now apparently PT as well.

edit: ok, bolso himself implicated, his ex parliamentary staff laundered loving loads of money and more ghost staff (aka paid to not work) keep popping up, it's a bloody headhunt that will have literally no effect, except maybe the minions shutting up a bit

bagual has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Dec 15, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bolsonaro is corrupt as gently caress who could have seen that coming lol

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Ok so Queiroz, the driver who missed two public hearings for "health problems", suddenly gives an interview on national TV. He's "a businessman" , so all's well you see :downs:

edit: more accurately, a car salesman. seems trustworthy to me!

bagual has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Dec 26, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gun laws coming yall

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Oct 8, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Metal Cat posted:

We should start a leftist gun club just to see how many hysterical death threats we'd get per month and how fast they'd put restrictions on it

Worked for the Black Panthers in California.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Metal Cat posted:

We should start a leftist gun club just to see how many hysterical death threats we'd get per month and how fast they'd put restrictions on it

Name it after Marighella for hilarity

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BRB, getting licenses for the Che Barbaridade Gun Club in Porto Alegre.

Dias has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also someone brought up to me how that goes with the order for snipers to shoot to kill anyone seeing armed in Rio. I hope they get some middle class "pai de familia" dipshit for once.