Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

For the first time in my life, I wish I had an xbox one :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I just want to say I'm rewatching the Omikron Lets Play in it's entirety and it is just _painfully_ funny. I forgot how tremendously awful it is and it's amazing how it seems to bring out the best in all three of the guys.

There are, of course, some slow progress-less periods but even then, their horrible descent into despair just makes it so enjoyable to watch. And that makes the few moments of joy just so much more impactful.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Lor posted:

I just want to say I'm rewatching the Omikron Lets Play in it's entirety and it is just _painfully_ funny. I forgot how tremendously awful it is and it's amazing how it seems to bring out the best in all three of the guys.

There are, of course, some slow progress-less periods but even then, their horrible descent into despair just makes it so enjoyable to watch. And that makes the few moments of joy just so much more impactful.

I consider it to be one of their best. They slow descent into dementia is hilarious. You can hear the pain in their voices.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Them trying and failing to get onto that one weirdly-shaped platform might be them at their peak.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA :kheldragar:

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

It's them totally out of their element. Matt alternately enjoying playing with, and hating playing with, the unbelievable terrible controls - Woolie desperately trying to work his way through literally the worst GameFAQs text document ever while simultaneously attempting to make sure the LP is entertaining, then giving up totally - and Pat not even trying to be a know-it-all and just giving in to the hilarious suffering.

I'm only on part 11 and I know it gets so much worse and yet I'm looking forward to it so much.

Them chanting "KOOPY! SANDWICH! KOOPY! SANDWICH!" as a prelude to the further misery they have yet to come is tickling me so much, I almost feel bad.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The moment when Woolie intentionally withholds necessary information from the FAQ and Matt and Pat flip their poo poo at him might be my favorite fuckup they've ever done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They know Woolie can't tell right from left and STILL gave him the guide.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Grouchio posted:

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA :kheldragar:

That's vile, and I love it. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I honestly have a soft spot for omikron. Not for being a good game, far from it, but for having this almost magical ability to drive whoever plays it insane. For those who don’t know, supergreatfriend did his own lp of it a while back and even he starts to really crack after a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Despite the many, many, many problems with DmC the cutscene direction and acting is legit great, Vergil peaking from the corner is amazing

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did the Best Friends ever find out that the first cop player character pavlov’s trained his koopy lizard to retrieve a key for him because I don’t think they did and that’s tragic.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There’s not a lot good about that game but I am very much behind pet lizards called koopys that are apparently also used for house-shaped sandwiches.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Did the Best Friends ever find out that the first cop player character pavlov’s trained his koopy lizard to retrieve a key for him because I don’t think they did and that’s tragic.

They absolutely did not and what the gently caress? Really? I honestly can't tell if you're joking because the game based on the LP is just a clusterfuck of fucks.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The best part of the omikron LP is when Matt summons a slider (taxi thing) and tries to find the one that was summoned in a screen filled with cars. He gets increasingly agitated running up to cars that aren't the one he summoned until a car runs him over. It is peak hilarity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What in the gently caress, guys why

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Thats a fuckin scrublords alright.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lor posted:

They absolutely did not and what the gently caress? Really? I honestly can't tell if you're joking because the game based on the LP is just a clusterfuck of fucks.

It's real, one of the first puzzles in the apartment is feeding the koopy so it gets you a key

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

It takes time to unlock the Smash roster okay!?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

N-nice uh thumbnail there...:stonklol:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Killed By Death posted:

N-nice uh thumbnail there...:stonklol:

That's a really good creepy anime bullshit thumbnail. Did Billy get confused?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The metacommentary about how they are playing this instead of smash and the snark in the comments makes the scrublords episode amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

They have 61 characters to unlock in smash, alright

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Brutakas posted:

The best part of the omikron LP is when Matt summons a slider (taxi thing) and tries to find the one that was summoned in a screen filled with cars. He gets increasingly agitated running up to cars that aren't the one he summoned until a car runs him over. It is peak hilarity.

Only thing that would have made it better if it was the slider that he summoned that ran him over.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie started another podcast: http://woolievspodcast.libsyn.com/

quote:

Determined not to fail at launching a show about things that failed to launch, Woolie decided to hit the ground running before he could stop himself. It was supposed to be about video games, anime, creativity, hype and success, but it's just shame and trash now. Shame and trash.

There's 2 episodes already. Haven't listened to them yet, but I'm looking at the game design document for the game he tried to make mentioned in the first podcast but it's so :psyduck:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Brutakas posted:

Linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkXFDqc-fAA&t=1579s

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

God, I forgot about the evolution of the video titles and intros/outros.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
did pat's archive of the game awards blow up

I saw a clip of the persona smash reveal of him and he's just slack-jawed and goes fuckin' nuts at the card flip and now I want to skim through to various highlights but it's not on his twitch even though there's clips

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So does anyone have any Kingdom Hearts recommendation besides 2? I've got the 1.5 +2.5 HD Remix so I have 1, 2, Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded?

All I really know is like, the story keeps getting weird and less concerned with keeping Final Fantasy involved as things go on besides keeping Sephiroth as a secret boss.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

So does anyone have any Kingdom Hearts recommendation besides 2? I've got the 1.5 +2.5 HD Remix so I have 1, 2, Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded?

All I really know is like, the story keeps getting weird and less concerned with keeping Final Fantasy involved as things go on besides keeping Sephiroth as a secret boss.

You don't have Days actually, just a movie version of it. Same with RE:Coded

Birth By Sleep is good, if not grindy. It was made as a PSP game, so expect some of the mobile game stuff to crop up. It also sets up a lot of plot points for the future and confuses the ones of the past which is great.

Chain of Memories you might like, you might not. Give it a shot some time and see what you think of the combat system.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

RareAcumen posted:

If I remember this even semi-correctly:

- Birth by Sleep is the super far-back prologue that sets up the events of the entire story and also has the best combat in the franchise thus far.
- 358/2 Days is basically a super-extended prologue focusing on Org 13 that leads directly into the events of Chain of Memories and KH2.
- I never figured out how Chain of Memories' card system worked so you'll have to ask someone else how to break it over your knee because you'll need to for the Repliku fight.

That's all I remember.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh right 1.5 + 2.5 just has plot movies of 358/2 and Re:Coded

Shame because as I remember a lot of the incidental dialogue in 358/2 is pretty legit. But it is kinda sorta superfluous in the grand scheme.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Chain of Memories has a weird card based battle system and is kind of a rehash of the KH1 worlds, but the events of that game also directly lead into KH2.

Birth By Sleep is a real good game, and is also the game that introduces the actual main villain of the series. He's also voiced by Leonard Nimoy.

Dream Drop Distance is alright, but it also directly leads into KH3 and sets up what will be the main overarching conflict of that game. So you should probably play it if you plan on getting KH3 so you'll have an idea of what's going on.

358/2 Days and Re:Coded are just a collection of all the cutscenes and plot summaries from those games.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Days is hilarious and great and I wish they'd remake it into Not A DS Game

Combat is kind of rear end but eh, it was the first one to try to be a KH action adventure game while being on a hand held. And that hand held was the DS.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burkion posted:

You don't have Days actually, just a movie version of it. Same with RE:Coded

Birth By Sleep is good, if not grindy. It was made as a PSP game, so expect some of the mobile game stuff to crop up. It also sets up a lot of plot points for the future and confuses the ones of the past which is great.

Chain of Memories you might like, you might not. Give it a shot some time and see what you think of the combat system.

What? That's so weird. Alright.

Well, if it's only two games that makes it much easier.

Monathin posted:

If I remember this even semi-correctly:

- Birth by Sleep is the super far-back prologue that sets up the events of the entire story and also has the best combat in the franchise thus far.
- 358/2 Days is basically a super-extended prologue focusing on Org 13 that leads directly into the events of Chain of Memories and KH2.
- I never figured out how Chain of Memories' card system worked so you'll have to ask someone else how to break it over your knee because you'll need to for the Repliku fight.

That's all I remember.

Monathin posted:

Shame because as I remember a lot of the incidental dialogue in 358/2 is pretty legit. But it is kinda sorta superfluous in the grand scheme.

Yeah, I could've sworn 358/2 was a game but knowing that it's just all the cutscenes makes looking at all of it much easier. I played CoM back on the GBA and it seemed fine there because I was a child and there was no voice acting. It seemed a lot better with no poor voice direction mucking things up.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Monathin posted:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GBA COM was the first Kingdom Hearts game I played... and possibly the first FF too? I definitely had no idea who Cloud was for example. I just can't remember if I played Tactics Advance beforehand. I definitely didn't play Dawn of Souls until afterwards, and those were my first 3.

Days is mostly set after CoM, but before 2. It also, however, would spoil you on chunk of 2 and wouldn't make sense if you hadn't played 2 anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

GBA COM was the first Kingdom Hearts game I played... and possibly the first FF too? I definitely had no idea who Cloud was for example. I just can't remember if I played Tactics Advance beforehand. I definitely didn't play Dawn of Souls until afterwards, and those were my first 3.

Days is mostly set after CoM, but before 2. It also, however, would spoil you on chunk of 2 and wouldn't make sense if you hadn't played 2 anyway.

Yeah that sounds pretty accurate for me too. I had 1 and 2 and borrowed Chain of Memories and Tactics Advance from a friend to beat it. Aside from Final Fantasy 1, I enjoyed all of them. I'm sure I saw Cloud in Kingdom Hearts 1 or somewhere else so he wasn't surprising in the game aside from his weird outfit and how loving strong he was, goddamn. The card system in it didn't really bother me because I'd just nearly fullcharge the reload before going to fight and then just run out of cards eventually and reload the deck in less than a second.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Kingdoms Hearts story would probably be easier to understand if it wasn't spread out so goddamn much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Improbable Lobster posted:

Kingdoms Hearts story would probably be easier to understand if it wasn't spread out so goddamn much

It's almost as if it's a story that's been evolving and developing over almost 20 years and you've had way way way more than enough time to jump on and do it even if you didn't follow them as the games came out.