Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

Do you not understand how the justice system works? Do you expect Mueller to tweet out that Trump has been found guilty BEFORE his lieutenants get hosed?

I understand how the justice system works. Powerful white people aren't punished for crimes. Pretty much our entire history and Trump's personal history supports that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sorry I'm kind of busy working and only have a few moments to post on my phone: how big a deal are the filings today?

This seems like the first time where federal prosecutors have actually connected all of this directly to Trump and are accusing him of a felony/felonies, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Your Taint posted:

What's Fox News saying about all this, if anything at all?

They're just gonna follow Trump's lead and claim this exonerates him and that the witch hunt must end now.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

sexpig by night posted:

the point is it's pretty dumb to get all 'bet you're all sorry you disrespected Strong Cop Daddy now huh??? :smug:'

Actually it's also dumb to continually post stupid poo poo about how the president will never be held responsible during the point when everything is crashing down around him and it appears certain that he is hosed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mind_Taker posted:

Sorry I'm kind of busy working and only have a few moments to post on my phone: how big a deal are the filings today?

This seems like the first time where federal prosecutors have actually connected all of this directly to Trump and are accusing him of a felony/felonies, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

the unredacted parts of the manafort brief don't look like a huge bombshell (for trump, they're not great for kilimnik and manafort :v: ) but obviously there's quite a lot of redaction

The Cohen brief is fairly big for those reasons, yeah. The sentencing recommendations are also arguably a signal that they're taking things Pretty Seriously / that they're Pretty Mad.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

Actually it's also dumb to continually post stupid poo poo about how the president will never be held responsible during the point when everything is crashing down around him and it appears certain that he is hosed.

I agree this is a big deal but everything is not crashing down around him because he is still the President of the United States.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

This makes an awesome madlib:

"Manafort lied repeatedly about [FARTING], first denying that he [poo poo HIMSELF]. During the course of his debriefings Manfort provided different explanations for [SPANKING THE MONKEY]. Manafort first denied that he had [SMELLED HIS FARTS] claiming that he (Manafort) [IS KING OF poo poo KINGDOM]. At his next interview, Manafort was informed of evidence that [THE MCRIB IS BACK]. Manafort then acknowledged [BASEBALL SUCKS]."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ascii genitals posted:

But how is it smart to say "IT'S TOTES GONNA HAPPEN GUYS" when he's never been held responsible in his life for literally anything and now he has the power and benefits of the most powerful office in the world, plus an entire political party to protect him?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

Things are getting much worse for him, and hopefully this will tank his chances at reelection, but it's important to manage expectations. Trump's almost certainly never going to see jail time. The best-case scenario is probably that his presidency is hamstrung, he doesn't get reelected, and his administration is a lead weight around the GOP's collective necks for the foreseeable future.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Giggy posted:

I understand how the justice system works. Powerful white people aren't punished for crimes. Pretty much our entire history and Trump's personal history supports that.

If Trump does face criminal consequences (rather than just serious financial consequences and the destruction of his charity grift angle), this narrative is going to become "well sure, the highest-profile rich criminal since Aaron Burr was prosecuted, but he was just a sacrificial lamb so we all feel good about ourselves and don't get angry and go after other invulnerable powerful rich people".

And it won't even be entirely wrong.

Majorian posted:

Things are getting much worse for him, and hopefully this will tank his chances at reelection, but it's important to manage expectations. Trump's almost certainly never going to see jail time. The best-case scenario is probably that his presidency is hamstrung, he doesn't get reelected, and his administration is a lead weight around the GOP's collective necks for the foreseeable future.

I certainly wouldn't put the odds of him facing jail time very high but I don't think they're zero.

and imo he's in easier-to-stick trouble for all the Finance Crimes than the Russia Crimes, insofar as there may be some wiggle room to foist the latter off on patsies / Donald Junior, not that the Trumpspawn going to jail wouldn't be delicious and itself a puncture in the invincibility bubble

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Fox's side of the story will be that Cohen is not credible and nothing he says should be believed. The end.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mind_Taker posted:

They've done so, and apparently in a way that isn't reliant on either Manafort or Cohen's testimony. I interprete that as SCO having pretty clear evidence and understanding of any crimes that may have occurred.

Who could have predicted that the FBI, an organization that has been historically so submissive to the President's will and not at all independent, would turn out to be ruthless in prosecuting crimes. Especially considering the narrow and limited investigations by previous special counsels.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So am I correct in understanding that this basically says "Trump totally colluded", and Trump said "this proves I didn't collude"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1071182284890357760

Pollyanna posted:

So am I correct in understanding that this basically says "Trump totally colluded", and Trump said "this proves I didn't collude"?

this was more about the campaign finance violation.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, you're right, both Wohl and Pressler live in Starbuckses because both of them are so far up Trump's rear end they don't have real jobs.

Presler has a job, he works for Republicans.

Cursed image:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

In a bare bones sort of way, yes.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Pollyanna posted:

It doesn't say "Trump totally colluded" but it does say "Trump committed felony-level campaign finance violations"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Taint posted:

But how is it smart to say "IT'S TOTES GONNA HAPPEN GUYS" when he's never been held responsible in his life for literally anything and now he has the power and benefits of the most powerful office in the world, plus an entire political party to protect him?

one of the things that is causing people to yell at each other here is that there is some probability space that lies between "donald trump is definitely going to face criminal consequences" and "donald trump is definitely not going to face criminal consequences", and while i disagree with the second one i've been trying to be clear that i'm not the first one (and i don't think anyone in the thread is, but if they are i think they're also wrong)

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I feel like Trump is very likely to face charges IF he loses to a Democrat in 2020. If he wins, he likely skates and/or dies peacefully in office. So it all sort of comes down to that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I missed this part. Ivanka got caught up in this.

https://twitter.com/a_cormier_/status/1071174848746045441

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

donald trump is vastly, vastly more likely to face criminal (and financial!) consequences for his lifetime of crime now than he was pre-escalator, because despite his jump up in power and GOP protection he's also under a shitload more scrutiny

the Trump Foundation would still be trucking along if he'd never seriously run for President, whereas now New York is quite likely to burn it to the ground and salt the ashes, and forbid him and his kids from ever being involved in charity control again

which isn't exactly a crippling blow to him in and of itself, but it's the directly trump-targeting thing that's moved the fastest (because it's easier to discern and prove that oh yeah he was using it as his personal piggy bank, which is definitely not allowed)

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
It's unacceptable to let Congress allow Trump to finish out his term and if America's collective solution is to shrug its shoulders instead of being ready to riot at this then I just don't know what to think.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

I feel like Trump is very likely to face charges IF he loses to a Democrat in 2020. If he wins, he likely skates and/or dies peacefully in office. So it all sort of comes down to that.

State police from N.Y. are waiting for him outside Marine One when the incoming President is walking him out. He'll never get to ride Marine One ever again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just love that he's far more miserable than he ever would have been had he remained a private citizen.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Your Taint posted:

I missed this part. Ivanka got caught up in this.

https://twitter.com/a_cormier_/status/1071174848746045441

This is the one that broke me. The simulation wins.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just love that he's far more miserable than he ever would have been had he remained a private citizen.

Then again, so are we

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus,what a moron.

I think don is hosed and the worse this gets, the more likely the senate GOP will throw him under the bus in hopes of a better chance with pence or some other poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1071188974616670208

I guess when you're planning on being a future witness in an obstruction case, you don't want to make comments about things like the firing of Sessions because of his recusal that will potentially be part of that case

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

This is the one that broke me. The simulation wins.

you put the peeps in the chili and you mix it all up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

donald trump is vastly, vastly more likely to face criminal (and financial!) consequences for his lifetime of crime now than he was pre-escalator, because despite his jump up in power and GOP protection he's also under a shitload more scrutiny

the Trump Foundation would still be trucking along if he'd never seriously run for President, whereas now New York is quite likely to burn it to the ground and salt the ashes, and forbid him and his kids from ever being involved in charity control again

which isn't exactly a crippling blow to him in and of itself, but it's the directly trump-targeting thing that's moved the fastest (because it's easier to discern and prove that oh yeah he was using it as his personal piggy bank, which is definitely not allowed)

i think his "gut" is whats gonna loving end him(and i don't mean just a heart attack) I think the more his poo poo gets torn apart, the more irrational(yeah i know) he will become. he is already loving up super bad in most regards. its gonna get even worse the further down the road we get with the investigation and the more skin trump has in the game. he only cares about his piggy bank and maybe one of his kids.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think his "gut" is whats gonna loving end him(and i don't mean just a heart attack) I think the more his poo poo gets torn apart, the more irrational(yeah i know) he will become. he is already loving up super bad in most regards. its gonna get even worse the further down the road we get with the investigation and the more skin trump has in the game. he only cares about his piggy bank and maybe one of his kids.

yup. he thinks attack attack attack is going to work and he's constantly undermining any attempt to mount a defense.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1071190960967692290?s=19

Also a very significant unresolved plot point that's largely been lost in all the made up stories from the right about doj leaks

Good to see house dems have not forgot about it given their upcoming subpoena powers

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Trump will never be impeached, but the minute he loses his re-election is the minute literally everyone in the world will turn on him: the Republican establishment will desperately want to memory-hole him and move onto showing that they're a respectable party again, and the Democrats will be hugely motivated by their base to ensure he's prosecuted*. If he loses re-election, he's hosed.

*yes, Obama failed to prosecute Bush's criminals. This situation is wildly different.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

It really, really depends on the Democrat.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, Chris Matthews is on fire right now

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus,what a moron.

I think don is hosed and the worse this gets, the more likely the senate GOP will throw him under the bus in hopes of a better chance with pence or some other poo poo.

This would all but guarantee that GOP loses the Senate in 2020.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

yup. he thinks attack attack attack is going to work and he's constantly undermining any attempt to mount a defense.

well, he thinks he is loving god basically plus he has deluded himself to the point that he probaly legit doesn't understand how hosed he is, because he never got punished for it before. but that was only because he was some douchebag new york magnent who played the role of that weird kid from high school who made poo poo up about himself to sound cool and while he probaly did stuff like kill small animals and such, no body has the energy to care because of bigger issues. now he has fallen into the worlds most powerful position and he still thinks no one will care.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, Chris Matthews is on fire right now

so, like, the temperature in the MSNBC set has gone up a whole tenth of a degree then or what

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

This would all but guarantee that GOP loses the Senate in 2020.

they may very well lose it if they don't anyway. the house got loving swept and alot of it was because people hate trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they may very well lose it if they don't anyway. the house got loving swept and alot of it was because people hate trump.

Yeah but the Senate is different, not all Senators are up for re-election every cycle.