Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got smash...1/10th of characters unlocked at start. I guess ninty doesnt want my four online dollars for a few weeks cause i aint going online with just kirby no matter how cute he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

I assume this is fake, but it's still pretty cool.

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD275971

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

Got smash...1/10th of characters unlocked at start. I guess ninty doesnt want my four online dollars for a few weeks cause i aint going online with just kirby no matter how cute he is

The funny thing is despite feeling so tiny, the starting characters in Smash Ultimate are the same as the starting characters in Smash 64

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember that Sega was originally Service Games and started by Americans

And the MSX standard was made by Microsoft!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nintendo naming characters after real people sounds all heartwarming and stuff until you find out about how Dawn Kikong was teased and harassed her whole adult life by people who compared her to a giant ape, to the point that she fell into alcoholism, drugs and eventually suicide

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all the kirbys, zeldas, aeriths, sephiroths, marios, luigis and turoks get together for a BIG party

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Steve Yun posted:

Nintendo naming characters after real people sounds all heartwarming and stuff until you find out about how Dawn Kikong was teased and harassed her whole adult life by people who compared her to a giant ape, to the point that she fell into alcoholism, drugs and eventually suicide

A life of hauling barrels took its toll

The Colonel posted:

all the kirbys, zeldas, aeriths, sephiroths, marios, luigis and turoks get together for a BIG party

Can I come

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of those characters can’t talk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

The funny thing is despite feeling so tiny, the starting characters in Smash Ultimate are the same as the starting characters in Smash 64

Smash 64 was very unfair to me, the samus, at my friend, the pikachu's, house

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Smash 64 was very unfair to me, the samus, at my friend, the pikachu's, house

as a kid i always played as pikachu and had trouble unlocking ness until i switched to kirby

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

holy poo poo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

that's hosed up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idgi

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Look out, Snake! A bomb!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Bellybustin lols

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Got to the final, final boss of BLACK BIRD but it turns out I'm really not good at dodging hundreds of densely packed projectiles :cry: Been playing it on the switch and it's great; not many levels but incredibly replayable and very charming.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

It's a reference to the end of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, which can be viewed on YouTube

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

black bird owns

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

play ground zeroes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My full name is Mull Manya and frankly I wish I was teased for having a Nintendo game named after me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if bamco doesn't announce we love katamari reroll early next year i will be upset

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

By turn based ATB I mean a turn based system where the delay before you act again is based on a speed stat and what move you used, like it is in ATB, as opposed to e.g. dragon quest where everyone goes once per turn and speed determines order within that turn

The colonel probably already posted this at some point in the ensuing two pages but you should check out the Trails series if you like this battle design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't shower until like 4pm today, I've fallen deep down another monhun hole and can't escape. Any day now I'll get that spread deco so I can swap out these bunk rear end lagiacrus greaves

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
katamari reroll is really beautiful but it's also a bit rough and i'm just thinking of how goddamn beautiful we love katamari would look with the same kind of hd treatment the first game's gotten

In Training posted:

The colonel probably already posted this at some point in the ensuing two pages but you should check out the Trails series if you like this battle design

i didn't but yeah trails in the sky 3rd onwards is really good if you want combat based around exploiting turn order to whale on enemies and push their turns back a bunch. first two games are rough though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

I just sorta keep hearing that Trails is just a solid JRPG series but never hear anything to really excite me into wanting to play it. The feature that people rave about most is the extreme amount of optional NPC dialogue which is very not for me. I asked for the elevator pitch in the RPG thread a few months back and just got "they're solidly written RPGs with competent battle systems" which means I'd probably enjoy them but doesn't really encourage me to go out and buy them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

katamari reroll is really beautiful but it's also a bit rough and i'm just thinking of how goddamn beautiful we love katamari would look with the same kind of hd treatment the first game's gotten

i didn't but yeah trails in the sky 3rd onwards is really good if you want combat based around exploiting turn order to whale on enemies and push their turns back a bunch. first two games are rough though

:cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The trails series isn't for me either, bc I just don't really like their aesthetic. But you can get Cold Steel 1 for pretty cheap these days probably and it has a fairly unique setting and structure, and maybe you'll love it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

The trails series isn't for me either, bc I just don't really like their aesthetic. But you can get Cold Steel 1 for pretty cheap these days probably and it has a fairly unique setting and structure, and maybe you'll love it.

That's a pretty good argument, I'll put a steam wishlist and see if it goes on a deep sale

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I just sorta keep hearing that Trails is just a solid JRPG series but never hear anything to really excite me into wanting to play it. The feature that people rave about most is the extreme amount of optional NPC dialogue which is very not for me. I asked for the elevator pitch in the RPG thread a few months back and just got "they're solidly written RPGs with competent battle systems" which means I'd probably enjoy them but doesn't really encourage me to go out and buy them.

trails in the sky 1 and 2 have pretty solid world building and stuff but their character writing is a mixed bag since they have a lot of fun and interesting ideas but there's also a lot of characters who just don't get any interesting fleshing out beyond their introduction and the main thrust of the plot is kinda generic without a lot of interesting payoff so it's pretty much carried by estelle and the better side characters

sky 3rd builds off of the strengths of the first two games with a shift to having one of the side characters from 2 as a lead, and has a really interesting story about overcoming guilt and self-hatred while doing a really great job giving more screen time to the characters who really needed it. the cold steel games are effectively different games entirely from sky and they're slow burns but they have incredibly detailed and interesting character building that actually gets built up and called back to in ways that are meaningful

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Trails has got a lot of dialogue but I didn't feel the quality of writing made it worth it and the game was just glacially slow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the way i'll put trails in the sky is that the first two games left me kind of eh on the series and then sky 3rd kind of instantly made me way more interested in seeing more, and cold steel, for all of its flaws, is a much better rounded game than sky that did a much more effective job making me care about its cast

also despite being a really slow burn cold steel 1 is still more strongly paced than sky fc because it's just cut up into chunks that focus on a set of party members and their relationships with each other

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cold steel seems at first like it's going to be a poor man's persona or something but it's actually closer to Valkyria Chronicles and it's pretty awsome

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I didn't shower until like 4pm today, I've fallen deep down another monhun hole and can't escape. Any day now I'll get that spread deco so I can swap out these bunk rear end lagiacrus greaves

I wish I was monster hunting, instead of at work. Apparently there will be a World announcement soon that they think everyone will be really excited for. Clearly it will be some unholy fusion of deviljho and kirin.

I think the pc and console versions are about matched now so the time is ripe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've only played Cold Steel but there's really no way I can excitedly describe it. My elevator pitch would be "the coziest anime RPG from 2003" which isn't great motivation.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

I've only played Cold Steel but there's really no way I can excitedly describe it. My elevator pitch would be "the coziest anime RPG from 2003" which isn't great motivation.

hell I love cozy I'm playing my sixth atelier game of the year right now. Just a well-articulated post about the kinds of emotions it successfully elicits would probably jump it a few slots up my playlist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I wish I was monster hunting, instead of at work. Apparently there will be a World announcement soon that they think everyone will be really excited for. Clearly it will be some unholy fusion of deviljho and kirin.

I think the pc and console versions are about matched now so the time is ripe.

They did announce the PC event schedule and around February both platforms will basically be equivalent, and they'll probably have a 1 year anniversary event around then too. I hope we get G rank in 2019, so I can just buy RE2 and that and DMC5 and play nothing but Capcom games all year

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

If you like Atelier characters you will probably really like at least some of the characters in a Trails game, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the side villains in trails of cold steel 2 is a lesbian blood knight and she's just portrayed as kind of an earnest dork rather than being, like, really malicious, and it kind of owns

she even joins your party in cold steel 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well well well speak of th Devil

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1071194217232232448?s=20