Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

roberts is concerned with the court's appearance in a functional way, not an idealistic way. the image of the court affects his ability to exercise power. doing something massively antidemocratic like abolishing obamacare wouldn't have gotten him that much that he really cared about because he didn't really care about obamacare, but would really damage his ability to get what he cared about in the future. the question here will be how much does roberts personally care about rolling back bank regulations, vs how much will he think it hurts his image.

gutting the vra was something he desperately wanted to do so it was worth it to hurt his image because that's the sort of thing he hordes his power for; gutting obamacare less so, so it wasn't worth it.

Gutting those parts of Obamacare also wasn't something he wanted to do because his paymasters wrote the parts of the bill he upheld, and he knew if he just destroyed the unprofitable part that helped poor people he would get accolades for his moderation from the beltway crowd (and it worked lol).

You're right that he is canny and only willing to damage the legitimacy and long-term ability of the court to exercise power in order to get something he really wants like reinstituting Jim Crow, imo gutting financial regulation falls into the category of "always worth it no matter it does to my reputation" but ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The other issue is that ruling that "not A and not B" means "not (A and not B)" probably has all sorts of nasty consequences that nobody wants. It's not like this is the only law that uses a "not A and not B" construction, and even if you are a conservative justice, my guess is slightly easing regulations on banks is not worth throwing the rest of the legal system into chaos.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

You're right that he is canny and only willing to damage the legitimacy and long-term ability of the court to exercise power in order to get something he really wants like reinstituting Jim Crow, imo gutting financial regulation falls into the category of "always worth it no matter it does to my reputation" but ymmv

yeah I'm not saying that he won't do it, I just don't have a good feel for how strong his ideological opposition to bank regulation is while i do have a good sense of how strong his ideological opposition to black people voting is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VikingofRock posted:

The other issue is that ruling that "not A and not B" means "not (A and not B)" probably has all sorts of nasty consequences that nobody wants. It's not like this is the only law that uses a "not A and not B" construction, and even if you are a conservative justice, my guess is slightly easing regulations on banks is not worth throwing the rest of the legal system into chaos.

that presumes, unjustifiably, that conservative justices won't only use this hyper-technical reading on laws they don't like

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

yeah I'm not saying that he won't do it, I just don't have a good feel for how strong his ideological opposition to bank regulation is while i do have a good sense of how strong his ideological opposition to black people voting is

hahaha that's fair

VikingofRock posted:

Eh they stopped pretending to care about consistency a while ago.

Bush v Gore specifically said never to cite it as precedent because it would open a humungous can of worms when all they wanted to do was steal one election and then forget all about it.

Scalia infamously didn't believe the interstate commerce clause gave congress any power to regulate intrastate affairs, unless we're talking about the devil's weed and then we must read interstate commerce as expansively as humanly possible to include growing a plant in your bedroom and smoking it yourself.

Just this summer the court released two completely contradictory opinions (https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/6/27/17509248/travel-ban-religious-discrimination-christian-muslim-double-standard). If even one government official calls a homophobe shopkeeper a bigot then he's immune to laws because of government prejudice against his religion, but if that government official is banning Muslims from the country it doesn't matter how much racist religiously-bigoted anti-muslim poo poo he's said and tweeted we must disregard his personal opinions and assume good faith.

I'm sure it's not beyond their abilities to come up with some sophistry for why the full context of this particular law means that !A && !B must have meant !(A && !B) this one time but not necessarily every time.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

A reminder, from uspol

This one is a killer.

If you’ve never been to Annapolis, it’s a fairly quiet town all in all. Naval Academy kids, old money, the state government. Not much happens. You hang out and drink mostly, or you eat at Chick & Ruth’s at some silly hour and watch the world walk by.

Their newspaper is a quiet small town newspaper that doesn’t shake the world. It talks about community crap and a handful of state government wonk stuff. That some dude could be incensed to massacre a news staff of THIS paper is everything you need to know about our modern age. We’re going mad and killing people for no reason, because people who get hosed with every day come to believe they have to, that it’s their moral duty. Because the climate gives them cover, almost. And the President makes it worse, because all he can think about is himself.

And because we move on, because everyone moves on, because nearly everyone has forgotten about that shooting, it’s back to silence except for the people who survived.

I don’t know how this world changes short of the end of the human race.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/politics/rex-tillerson-donald-trump/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-kelly-barr/h_5c611a0903bd3f263bd877b62e4f9c0b

All of this slap fighting between Trump and his former cronies today is absolutely riveting in all honesty. Another day of presidenting hard. :munch: You just know Cohen has the testimony to bury him and/or Don Jr. too considering how strongly the white house is reacting to wanting the maximum sentence for him versus all the other lives apparently ruined. This one guy though out of all the dozens Mueller has probably interviewed though, that guy MUST be guilty as poo poo and its good that theh got him but only him apparently.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Cohen filings are in and its bad for Trump

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1071160538720333825

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1071162279247429632

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
And the Manafort docs are in

In a header called "Interactions with Kilimnick"

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nv2zJjn.png[/tmg]

An entire header is redacted here

On lies about continuing to talk to Trump

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1071176668016979968

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Kelly isn't speaking to Trump who is

I imagine a dickensian scenario where Trump just wanders the halls of the white House and everyone present just refuses to acknowledge his presence

Stephen Miller :smith:

this was not a snarky shitpost, this is the sad reality

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I imagine a dickensian scenario where Trump just wanders the halls of the white House and everyone present just refuses to acknowledge his presence

That does seem to be how they decided to deal with the arrested Huawei CFO. "Nobody tell him, you know he'll blurt it out to Xi."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm fundamentally not understanding the deal with the Huawei CFO. Aren't sanctions something that usually involves monetary penalties instead of actually arresting and trying to extradite people?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I'm fundamentally not understanding the deal with the Huawei CFO. Aren't sanctions something that usually involves monetary penalties instead of actually arresting and trying to extradite people?

i know what you mean, I think the reason it's an arrest is there's fraud involved (or something along those lines)

quote:

Meng Wanzhou, who was arrested in Vancouver and faces extradition to the United States, is believed to have helped Huawei circumvent US sanctions by telling financial institutions that a Huawei subsidiary was a separate company, prosecutors said at a hearing Friday to determine whether Meng should be released on bail.

e: yeah, fraud is the allegation

quote:

Meng served on the board for a Hong Kong-based company called Skycom, which allegedly did business with Iran between 2009 and 2014. US banks worked with Huawei at this time, so Iran sanctions were violated indirectly, and Meng therefore committed fraud against these banks. Skycom reportedly had connections to Huawei and at the bail hearing today, Gibb-Carsley argued that Skycom was an unofficial subsidiary of Huawei’s, using the same company logo. “Huawei is SkyCom,” he said, “This is the crux, I say, of the alleged fraud."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

A quick Google search implied that prison time can be quite hefty.

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/enforcement/oee/penalties

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zwabu posted:

sanctions are banning doing business with the sanctioned entity. the sanctioned entity isn't Huawei - they're the ones who did business with the sanctioned entity despite the ban.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eke out posted:

i know what you mean, I think the reason it's an arrest is there's fraud involved (or something along those lines)
e: yeah, fraud is the allegation
This makes a lot more sense than just arresting her because Huawei violated sanctions as company.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's less that they did it and more that they got caught doing it through a shady subcompany and then lied about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rozencrantz and Gildenstern are Aides.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Every day it seems like more of the Steele dossier is confirmed. I can’t help but wonder how big a splash this stuff will make because everyone already assumed it all, or wrote it off as fake. Does anyone have any tweets or TV appearances of someone changing from Trump is innocent to Trump is guilty? I’m curious if this is penetrating media. (This is not a nothing matters post, I want to see the mattering despite being in the wrong time zone.)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MickeyFinn posted:

Every day it seems like more of the Steele dossier is confirmed. I can’t help but wonder how big a splash this stuff will make because everyone already assumed it all, or wrote it off as fake. Does anyone have any tweets or TV appearances of someone changing from Trump is innocent to Trump is guilty? I’m curious if this is penetrating media. (This is not a nothing matters post, I want to see the mattering despite being in the wrong time zone.)

The only people who have been saying Trump Is Innocent will not turn on him unless very specific forces literally tell them to or the climate makes it necessary for them to do so in order to survive. We're not at either of those yet. They will continue to provide full-throated declarations of his complete innocence as a universally accepted axiom long as there is even the most pathetic and shriveled fig leaf for them to hide behind.

The Mattering will not be evident from the corners you're talking about until long after it is crystal clear from others.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

The only people who have been saying Trump Is Innocent will not turn on him unless very specific forces literally tell them to or the climate makes it necessary for them to do so in order to survive. We're not at either of those yet. They will continue to provide full-throated declarations of his complete innocence as a universally accepted axiom long as there is even the most pathetic and shriveled fig leaf for them to hide behind.

The Mattering will not be evident from the corners you're talking about until long after it is crystal clear from others.

Yeah a good chunk of GOP base would never concede that Trump is a crook regardless of what comes out of Mueller or SDNY unless Fox News starts to at least hem and haw about it.

Even if/when Fox News turns to "Trump is a crook and that's why you should support Pence/other GOP" at least a third of the base will probably cling to the idea that he did and can do no wrong.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Zwabu posted:

Yeah a good chunk of GOP base would never concede that Trump is a crook regardless of what comes out of Mueller or SDNY unless Fox News starts to at least hem and haw about it.

Even if/when Fox News turns to "Trump is a crook and that's why you should support Pence/other GOP" at least a third of the base will probably cling to the idea that he did and can do no wrong.

Let's not forget that, during the midterms when Fox News started to call some of the elections for the Democrats, a lot of the diehard Trump supporters from the usual online cesspits were raging and saying FNC was no better than MSNBC or CNN and that they were only going to watch "real" news networks like InfoWars or OAN from that point on. :laugh:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Rozencrantz and Gildenstern are Aides.

So close.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Feds.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So close.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Feds.

Holy poo poo

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let's not forget that, during the midterms when Fox News started to call some of the elections for the Democrats, a lot of the diehard Trump supporters from the usual online cesspits were raging and saying FNC was no better than MSNBC or CNN and that they were only going to watch "real" news networks like InfoWars or OAN from that point on. :laugh:

Fox News is still trying hard, though. Their headlines last night were literally NOTHING TO SEE:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1071413935004401664

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Oh my, my first thread title!

That it comes as we see New York Times headlines like Prosecutors Say Trump Directed Illegal Payments During Campaign just makes me even happier.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Oh my, my first thread title!

That it comes as we see New York Times headlines like Prosecutors Say Trump Directed Illegal Payments During Campaign just makes me even happier.

Anybody have an update on Maria Butina?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1071469584077733890

Remember when Kelly was gonna come in turn this into a normal, respectable presidency and they just got even more fashy?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember when Kelly was gonna come in turn this into a normal, respectable presidency and they just got even more fashy?

Fascism is the new normal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

Anybody have an update on Maria Butina?

last update is that there was an abrupt status conference ordered by the judge (don't know why), where a big portion of it was sealed per Butina's lawyers request (don't know why and the lawyer has to submit a filing about why it should remain sealed), and afterwards a public defender was appointed in an 'advisory' capacity for Butina because ???? (but her main lawyer has not withdrawn)

it's really weird and no one knows what's going on, except that there might well be a serious issue with her lawyers or a conflict or something. my potentially-tinfoily guess is that they're paid by Russia, she's close to settling with the United States, and they are not representing her personal interests

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 8, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Or maybe they are, in the sense that they're telling her "don't defect or Putin will have you killed".

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

The Glumslinger posted:

What else did you expect when Kelly's earlier behaviour showed him to be a competent fascist?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This one is a killer.

If you’ve never been to Annapolis, it’s a fairly quiet town all in all. Naval Academy kids, old money, the state government. Not much happens. You hang out and drink mostly, or you eat at Chick & Ruth’s at some silly hour and watch the world walk by.

Their newspaper is a quiet small town newspaper that doesn’t shake the world. It talks about community crap and a handful of state government wonk stuff. That some dude could be incensed to massacre a news staff of THIS paper is everything you need to know about our modern age. We’re going mad and killing people for no reason, because people who get hosed with every day come to believe they have to, that it’s their moral duty. Because the climate gives them cover, almost. And the President makes it worse, because all he can think about is himself.

And because we move on, because everyone moves on, because nearly everyone has forgotten about that shooting, it’s back to silence except for the people who survived.

I don’t know how this world changes short of the end of the human race.

They're my local paper. I still have a subscription to them because, nostalgia I guess? It and the Baltimore Sun were what I grew up with. What we dumped a bushel of crabs on during the summer.

Not going to forget the murders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

kelly was never going to make it less fascist but he was supposedly going to make it function

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/justplainbob/status/1071435454694780931

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Dipshit has no idea how to flip a loving coin.

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1071500275872083968

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

There is always a tweet:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/156829591267328000

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol I thought he knew everything about flipping! Why would he lie to me like this?

E: Of course there's a tweet for this.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1032586686394494976?lang=en

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's called a coin toss. Jeeze.

Alt ending:

If he knew how flipping worked he wouldn't be so dismissive of the Muller investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

All I can think of is this:

quote:

An actual clip from an actual interview with Tommy Wiseau where Greg tried to playfully pass the football to Tommy like old times and tommy was too oblivious to even flinch or reflex.

At this point I couldn't tell you who is the most obviously a human-shaped bag of wasps: Trump, Cruz, or Wiseau.