Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Been playing Smash online through a wireless router. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Feenix posted:

I am liking Smash and feel like it is a good video game product but I’d be lying if I said I could track ANYTHING when playing more than one other person. (Like 2 cpus or whatever) it just becomes explosion effect chaos.

I find it a little easier playing in handheld mode with regards to this but yeah every smash game since melee I just have a tendency to lose track of which character I am somehow and walk off a ledge. It's not the game's fault, I'm just confused apparently.

As someone just playing casually with no intent to play it as a serious fighter at all the amount of offline single player stuff to do is unreal. I really like the spirit system and the battles to unlock spirits have a lot of really neat theming ideas.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Imagined posted:

Seriously why the gently caress is the Stanley Parable coming to consoles next year. It's one of those games that's been a nickel on every Steam sale for the past five years, and if they made a three minute trailer they've shown you a significant portion of the entire game.

Bet it'll be $19.99 too.

If one person is dumb enough to buy it they'll make what it cost to port.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I will buy Stanley Parable again if it really does have new endings because the narrator is way too good. Though if it is sold as a cheaper dlc upgrade for PC I will buy that instead.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Gripweed posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Katamari is back so soon after the term BDE was coined. The King of All Cosmos has returned, now that we have a a way to describe him.

I never realized, until just this moment, that Big Dick Energy is just another name for the King of All Cosmos.

Sublime. Magnificent.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

I want to like them but I'm probably going to send them back. I can't figure out why it won't let me update the firmware. If I can't update the firmware it doesn't work. In the new model they changed the control part of the cord to not be micro usb. I can't even test other cords because this.

I don't know what I can do differently at this point to try and get it working. Problems like this is why I only buy official controls. Guess I learned my lesson for trying a non-official one.

I had a similar problem with the SN30 Pro where I could not update the firmware unless I paired it with my computer first. Once it got that first bluetooth pairing in its memory it started behaving and the instructions worked.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Anora posted:

How are the $25 wired controllers? And how are they wired?

If you're asking about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DNGDWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1xYcCbYXCQA32, i like mine. The analog sticks and d-pad never give me any trouble. The sticks feel "tall" at first compared to the joycons, but i got used to them pretty quickly. The only downside imo is lack of motion control. It's usb wired from the top of the controller, and the cable is removable.

Zarlog fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 8, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real hurthling! posted:

Im glad smash lets me fix the control scheme cause the default feels weird trying to mimic the gcn controller layout with a totally different shape

What do you use

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Joycon.

If you mean what layout i put shield/grab on opposite triggers instead of on the same side and put the attack buttons on x/y and jump on a/b like for a usual platformer.
Without the giant rear end attack button on the gcn it felt weird to keep it on A

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I would mainly be playing solo or against my kids, what types of unlocks are in smash? I imagine outfits are a given, as well as a few characters. Are any unlocks gated behind online play?

I poked around a few sites trying to find a breakdown of all the game modes and options, but it’ll probably be a few more days before those pop up.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm not sure what this is, but I want it.
https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1070860447480512514

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ragequit posted:

Since I would mainly be playing solo or against my kids, what types of unlocks are in smash? I imagine outfits are a given, as well as a few characters. Are any unlocks gated behind online play?

I poked around a few sites trying to find a breakdown of all the game modes and options, but it’ll probably be a few more days before those pop up.

Theres like 65 characters locked away and a bunch of achievement gallery items

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Amazon hosed up my preorder for Smash. Said here by 8pm. Out for delivery at 1. Now says delayed until Monday. I’m pissed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super Mario Odyssey True Ending:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This could be the extremely ingrained muscle memory talking but is it just me or is Smash awkward as gently caress to play with anything other than a GameCube controller?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

It's annoying on the joycons in portable due to my weird hands but fine on my pro controller

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

This could be the extremely ingrained muscle memory talking but is it just me or is Smash awkward as gently caress to play with anything other than a GameCube controller?
it's just your muscle memory

I haven't played smash with a gamecube controller since, well, the gamecube. It works just fine

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Snowmankilla posted:

Amazon hosed up my preorder for Smash. Said here by 8pm. Out for delivery at 1. Now says delayed until Monday. I’m pissed.

My delivery window was until 23:00 earlier this morning, but it just arrived at about 19:15. It's taking between 4 and 44 minutes to download a patch now.

I think it spent over an hour as the 3rd delivery stop in line, and isn't the first time something like that's happened.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Andrigaar posted:

My delivery window was until 23:00 earlier this morning, but it just arrived at about 19:15. It's taking between 4 and 44 minutes to download a patch now.

I think it spent over an hour as the 3rd delivery stop in line, and isn't the first time something like that's happened.

I will hold on to hope I guess. But it is 10:30.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Been playing Smash online through a wireless router. Highly recommend.

How does it run? Had a 4 man group tonight where the other 3 didn’t have Ethernet and it was 100% perfect but my buddy who lives closer to me can’t avoid lag wirelessly even in 1v1.

I keep telling him to just shell out for the cord.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Imagined posted:

Seriously why the gently caress is the Stanley Parable coming to consoles next year. … If they made a three minute trailer they've shown you a significant portion of the entire game.

Try going through the other door.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
merry smashmas everyone

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Super Mario Odyssey True Ending:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did they cut the rad hair metal Brinstar theme? I'm throwing this game in the trash where it belongs :mad:

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
How the gently caress do I find out who added me friends. I put my code out on my instagram telling people to add me. I accepted their requests but there’s only their username (which doesnt tell me much) and I cant message them on switch?

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
i have a decent amount of friends who have smash. i see them online, also playing it! is there any way to invite them to play with me that doesn't require, like, texting them irl?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Queernabs posted:

i have a decent amount of friends who have smash. i see them online, also playing it! is there any way to invite them to play with me that doesn't require, like, texting them irl?

No but there a good mode for it. Where you set up a hub room and people can place their tokens as rings or spectators and it automatically connects you to voice chat on your phone if you have it.

But you'll have to manually give your friends your room name or key.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Has anyone had issue with the Switch dropping WiFi? I've seen a bunch of people complain about a similar problem they're having, but not one identical to mine.

When I turn my Switch on (From sleep, or from off/being restarted, it doesn't matter), I have about 30ish seconds before the WiFi cuts out. If I restart or turn off the switch, I can repeat the process. It took me like 20 restarts to download Celeste last night. This happens on my home WiFi and on my work WiFi. It'll cut out and say that the DNS is not responding? Or something similar. Any downloads will stall out, turn grey and I'll get the little X on the download bar.

I've obviously tried turning it off and back on completely (not sleep mode) and I've tried a couple of fixes I found online like changing the DNS in the connection settings. I also found some people linked their issues to their micro SD card, but removing that didn't work either.

The only thing I haven't tried is resetting to factory defaults, but I can't seem to back my Let's Go Eevee and BoTW saves up to the cloud like the rest of my saves, so I don't want to lose those.

Anyone have any ideas? This wasn't a problem a month or two ago. I haven't tried it docked yet to see if that works, cause I've been working, but I was playing Splatoon 2 online and docked just fine a couple months ago.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
i deleted my network settings and re-added my wifi and that cleared up the connection errors for me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Major epilepsy warning on that link, because it's a wee bit flashy.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Captain Queernabs posted:

i deleted my network settings and re-added my wifi and that cleared up the connection errors for me

I tried this as well. I deleted and re-added both my home and work connections. It actually fixed the problem for the longest of any solution I found, but it was only, like...5 minutes? As opposed to turning the system off and on giving me less than a minute.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Was playing smash with some guys last night. We had two pro controllers and two people playing with joycon in grip. The two pro controllers and one set of joycon worked fine, but one set of joycon would just disconnect randomally every couple of games and they would have to press L or R to get it back, which was a bit annoying. We swapped those joycon out for another set of joycon and the problem persisted, still just disconnecting every 20mins or so. The joycon were all fully charged and updated. As it was the same player affected could they just be mashing something that is making their controller disconnect? I have noticed this issue before when playing mario kart with my nieces and nephews.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Is there a My Music setting for the music that plays in the main menu? I swear there was in at least one of the previous games.

Also is running Classic Mode the fastest way to earn coins? I'm trying to buy all the music as they show up and I'm constantly broke.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fawf posted:

Is there a My Music setting for the music that plays in the main menu? I swear there was in at least one of the previous games.

Yes, this time it unlocks that option after beating WOL. There’s also some surprises with some of the songs you can use this time that I don’t want to spoil.:D

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Snowmankilla posted:

I will hold on to hope I guess. But it is 10:30.

No dice tonight?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nerd_of_prey posted:

Was playing smash with some guys last night. We had two pro controllers and two people playing with joycon in grip. The two pro controllers and one set of joycon worked fine, but one set of joycon would just disconnect randomally every couple of games and they would have to press L or R to get it back, which was a bit annoying. We swapped those joycon out for another set of joycon and the problem persisted, still just disconnecting every 20mins or so. The joycon were all fully charged and updated. As it was the same player affected could they just be mashing something that is making their controller disconnect? I have noticed this issue before when playing mario kart with my nieces and nephews.

Is that Joycon a launch one? It might be having reception issues that required a fix from Nintendo.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So today was day one of Switch ownership and THIS THING IS loving AWESOME!!!

I immediately grabbed Let’s Go Eevee off the eShop and spent five hours soaking in gen1 nostalgia on my TV. The controls are awkward but it didn’t interfere with my enjoyment. Seeing Brock, Misty and actual Team Rocket again is such a nostalgia trip. This will consume an insane amount of my free time and god help me when we get a mainline Pokémon title.

I poked around the eShop for a bit bookmarking stuff I’ll buy eventually (Diablo 3, Octopath Traveller, Xenoblade Chronicles 2) and looking at the freebies.

I was surprised to see Arena of Valor, the iOS MOBA I dicked around with a bit last year. Is it any good on the Switch? My #1 problem with it on iOS was the controls, so if they added proper controller support on the Switch it could be pretty fun.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

It's definitely muscle memory. I just remapped Y to special to stop myself from jumping all the time when I want to do my specials and I'm not screwing up any more. I've got a wavebird, but I'm trying to get more used to the standard layout for when I'm smashing on the go.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Looper posted:

merry smashmas everyone
And a happy katamari. :jewish: :rory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

It's muscle memory. I played 4 almost entirely on the Wii U pro controller or the Wii U tablet, and using the Gamecube controller now feels awkward as hell.

e: granted, part of that is that the Wii U Pro was the first controller Nintendo made since the SNES that I was happy with so that probably plays into it

TTBF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 8, 2018