Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plague Goat reminded me of that time I sold a boomrat seconds before a bunch of my other boomrats came down with the flu. Did the sold-off boomrat(s) have the flu? Are they gonna burn their new home down? It's like schrodinger's cat.

If anyone was thinking of doing what I did, I tried to make a secondary defense room with a bunch of boomrats and boom-alopes (but those are harder to gently caress with). When/if a big raid gets through my trap-hallways, they then have to contend with their own urge to kill my farm animals, which explode when they die. It really didn't work like I thought it would, and it wasn't worth it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jerman999 posted:

No! Long mod list but mostly QOL. The main content mods I'm running right now are Lord of the Rims and the associated species submods. I also have VGP and a lot of the submods.

Hmmmmm, very strange. The Lords bug is basically the "ancient dangers are always active" bug of 1.0 IMO. Except even harder for people who know about it to work around it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

HopperUK posted:

Help a newbie out. If I want the maximum time noodling around working out the base-building and the minimum time dealing with raids, what storyteller do I want? Randy on easiest mode?

This is assuming I ever play the game instead of just browsing mods.

Don't pick the lowest difficulty because the only negative event you'll ever get is "mad animal" and while its not a threat to your colony, dealing with it over and over gets real tedious real fast. For the overall easiest game without mods/cheats/Dev Mode, you'll want to start on Phoebe until you get established, and then since she slowly turns up the difficulty over time, switch to Randy once things are stable.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think that's the best advice. If you want a modicum of challenge with regards to raids, Cassandra on Builder should be okay for mid-late early game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Heartcatch posted:

mid-late early game
:raise:

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Tried a one-man game in a forest and got malaria AND the flu and the flu killed me I am livid

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I have a pawn named Hinton.

Gay, ascetic, pessimist. Only gay man in the colony. Now he's aged and getting frail and it struck me dude has a pretty poor existence hanging out solo in his little lovely room instead of something fabulous. Of course he likes his lovely little room but still.

Also is a Hinton the same starting pawn no matter whose game it is or do they differ? For example, could someone here have the same Hinton when the game launched?

Another thing is I've tried capturing the steam from a vent as a free heater but it's so hard to maintain levels decently as the seasons change and probably not worth it in living areas.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I mostly meant when they get settled in with a rudimentary house, maybe a wall or three and some agriculture. :dance:

AppleDan posted:

Tried a one-man game in a forest and got malaria AND the flu and the flu killed me I am livid

I love one person games in the tropics. It's disease and fires from here to the horizon.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Seriously Randy, this is the guy you send me?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
With Darkeye in the name, I'm assuming thats an edgelord OC character. Whats the child/adulthood stories?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Stick him in a cryosleep casket unless it’s a raid. Awake him only to murder.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Stick him on research duty. 3 isn't great but Too Smart should get that ticking up.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
You can find backers characters' by using "Add name..." in the options.

Let's try snowflake...

Dark:

Dick:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My primary researcher is already at Intellectual 20 so there's no real need for another. I do like the cryosleep idea though, if for no other reason than to avoid the -3 banishment debuff on everyone else.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I called a rimatomics ship since all my dudes are too lovely to craft fuel rods, apparently the ship showed up during a solar flare and I didn't notice until it left :shepface: now I have to wait a quadrum to call again, and it costs a thousand silver to call one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
DICKY BROWN

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have forced milly to show up in my games.

so she can go on a single person assault on a pirate base

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

FreshFeesh posted:

My primary researcher is already at Intellectual 20 so there's no real need for another. I do like the cryosleep idea though, if for no other reason than to avoid the -3 banishment debuff on everyone else.

you know you can run multiple research tables right, there's no limit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FreshFeesh posted:

Don't they get cryosleep sickness when they wake up? Or just keep him on a research bench forever.

Anyways, that dude is clearly a "send out on suicide missions" candidate. It's kind of cool and fun to send a guy like that off to a major base with an incinerator and see what kind of damage he can cause. Sometimes, especially when fighting tribals who use wood walls, you can light everything on an un-quenchable fire that ends up killing the bulk of the enemies while they patrol.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno why yall hate that pawn so much. He looks like an excellent manual hunter/dedicated guard-commando and I wouldn't waste him for no reason, and would in fact look forward to having such a pawn.

If you're using or are willing to add the Rimworld Online Psi something or other mod to your game, you could transfer him to me and I'd gladly take him.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I dunno why yall hate that pawn so much. He looks like an excellent manual hunter/dedicated guard-commando and I wouldn't waste him for no reason, and would in fact look forward to having such a pawn.

Same.

Priority 2 hunting, priority 3 research, first in line for bionic legs and eyes. If I had enough women in the colony he was being a poo poo to I'd stick him on night shift and manual hunt with him when everyone else is sleeping for the dogs to haul in when morning comes. If it gets extra bad, he gets a silent jaw and regular psychite tea use if he's pissed at not being able to talk.

And then when I start regularly clearing pirate camps, he's first in line for caravan duty.

He's gonna have like, 20 shooting in no time at all. Add side arm mod and he could also effectively wield a plasteel sword.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Exactly. He's perfect for being danger man.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I couldn’t see him integrating well at all into the existing colony; I have a few melee and ranged people already and while the idea of a suicide mission agent would be fun, I don’t think it’d be worth the food (and consistent social battles) to keep him around.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm doing a second legit playthrough now and utilizing the Nutrient Paste Dispenser 100% and man does it change the dynamic of the game a bit. I'm over a year into the game and I've been REALLY picky about new colonists so I'm still on 3 and freeing up a person from cooking duty is massively helpful.

I also cut back on my extremely ostentatious paving projects from my previous game which is saving a massive amount of work.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

robotsinmyhead posted:

I also cut back on my extremely ostentatious paving projects from my previous game which is saving a massive amount of work.

Cement floors are cheap and build quickly, and have no more effect on beauty than default dirt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the problem with that earlier shootyman is that 98% of the game is not dangerous and for that period of time he is useless and just eating your food. if he were willing to do dumb labor then he'd really be amazing as the quintessential army private - someone who kills men and animals very, very well for a few hours a week, and spends the rest of the time cleaning dirt and and humping gear around.

as it stands the best thing you can do is park his rear end at a research bench, which is definitely super useful for about the first year to year and a half, but after that point you have the big things researched and the question now becomes if you care enough to expend the effort for the crap you didn't care about then and definitely don't care about now.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Refusal to haul and clean really is, in addition to being nonsensical within the game's fiction, a loving death sentence for most prospective recruits.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I usually play tribal starts so my research often takes a lot longer, so it's nice to have multiple researchers and it often takes me far longer than 1-2 years to complete the research I want.

...ignoring all the extra research from mods, like Hygiene and Sparkling Worlds.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it takes like many years to research everything in my tree.

Lotta extra stuff there.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
With tribals you start with enough manpower to just have a dedicated researcher. Build them a bedroom attached to the research room attached to the dining room and let them spend all day being a total fuckin' nerd.

If you pick up a nocturnal pawn, you can add a second cell bedroom to the research gulag and cover the night shift too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

McGiggins posted:

Yeah it takes like many years to research everything in my tree.

Lotta extra stuff there.

sure, but very little of it matters in a practical sense. all of the spaceship stuff can be completely eschewed for an arbitrarily long time because of how caravanning works now. it's beyond trivial to prepare for a journey 'next door' and use your firing-on-all-cylinders colony where everyone has devilstrand clothing and industrial guns to pick up as much food and medicine as they can carry/can pack into the pack animals, walk next door, and do pretty much an entire reset on the game's difficulty progression. it's really, really difficult to articulate how much of a leg up it is to have essential research done when building a new base. you can just flat out not worry about a ton of stuff you do to establish a new base and do things that just make sense, like immediately establish a geothermal plant and a stone defensive wall, ignore building workbenches that would otherwise be crucial (like smithies and machining benches), prioritize building other workbenches that are critical but you never had the research for (component benches), and more. my second bases are almost always much, much smaller, compact, efficient, and -- most importantly -- POORER because i now have a really good grasp of exactly what i have, exactly what i need, and exactly what i need to do to get them. my first bases frequently have something like 15x15 on everything because i have no idea what pawns i'm going to get, what resources i have on my map in deep core, what i'm going to need in terms of space for agriculture (because every planet is completely different in terms of real yield), and more. my second base i know all of these things intimately, so i can give back a good 25% of the map to wilderness. fewer constructions means less wealth, which means lighter raids, easier mood on my pawns, and more work done.

when i have all of these resources and all of this information, do i really need flatscreen television, smokepop belt, uranium turrets, or literally any spacer technology aside from maybe powered armor on anything resembling a schedule? or, in many cases, ever?

getting the spaceship research takes longer than it used to, but now that we can easily get rid of a ton of extra difficulty by moving house, research is now a very dubious priority after you get the core of the industrial tier. it's not critically valuable after a pretty early point, it becomes a nice to have that can finish whenever and that's fine.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I cant seem to get into this and I dont know why. It seems overwhelming, how intricate it is. Is there something I need to focus on or some good way I need to come at the game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Farrier Theaks posted:

I cant seem to get into this and I dont know why. It seems overwhelming, how intricate it is. Is there something I need to focus on or some good way I need to come at the game?

i mean, we can give you very specific advice about pretty much anything you have questions about, but if your block is the stress of the game then the first step is to not give a gently caress about your specific colony and just mess around. nobody cares if these incredibly broken weirdos die on a mostly deserted backwater so you shouldn't either. you can therefore do anything you want and it doesn't matter. there's no real consequences or judgment because these are terrible people who are expected to die. even from your fellow players, if you talk about how you horribly mismanaged something and an otherwise good colony filled with productive, skilled pawns died horribly in screaming despair, the response is going to be "lol, that owns" and "nah half of that colony didn't want to do dumb labor so gently caress them they deserved it."

frequently when i have heard this complaint though it's about the first season and what they need to focus on to get a good foundation going so they don't immediately fall into a starvation spiral or something. is that what you are struggling with? i can write tons of words on that.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 7, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The absolute most basic guide I can think of is, make sure your starting colonists can haul, and that there's at least one who can build, one that can cook, and one that can plant, ideally spread out. Build your first shelter room out of wood with a stove, table, stools and beds, set up a few growing zones (around 7x7) for rice and cotton, then start harvesting wild grown poo poo and set up a cooking bill to make simple meals. Then get some kind of enclosed storage set up and wait until you recognize an issue you need to solve and build from there.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is there a mod that gives researching pawns something to do after you've already researched everything? Preferably something not too OP but I just don't want my 20 research, no combat pawn to be useless once I get the important stuff done.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

intellectual score is still important for drugmaking after research is done

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
And you should always be making drugs.

Thouyh if your intellectual dude has no medical skill, RIP

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

the problem with that earlier shootyman is that 98% of the game is not dangerous and for that period of time he is useless and just eating your food. if he were willing to do dumb labor then he'd really be amazing as the quintessential army private - someone who kills men and animals very, very well for a few hours a week, and spends the rest of the time cleaning dirt and and humping gear around.

as it stands the best thing you can do is park his rear end at a research bench, which is definitely super useful for about the first year to year and a half, but after that point you have the big things researched and the question now becomes if you care enough to expend the effort for the crap you didn't care about then and definitely don't care about now.

After the first year and a half it's not really a big ask to feed a colonist even if he's not super useful, if he was useful up to that point.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm drowning in husky puppies, help. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

isndl posted:

I'm drowning in husky puppies, help. :shepface:

Sounds like good eatin'

Also, I found a way to kinda sorta get around the "no hauling" rule, at least for rock chunks and metal slag. Set that guy to infinitely make stone bricks and/or melt down metal slag for steal and he'll go to the other side of the map to haul that poo poo back to you if you run out of the stuff in your base.