Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

where did that come from

i googled and its just stores that sell baby formula or formula 1 cars, and i cant find it in this thread either

its a slogan a few advocacy groups use when normal people would say "a chain I don't like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech posted:

its a slogan a few advocacy groups use when normal people would say "a chain I don't like"

wow

with quotes, i literally only get weird russian baby formula webstores. not even some random tumblr or redd–

youre fuckin with me arent you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

wow

with quotes, i literally only get weird russian baby formula webstores. not even some random tumblr or redd–

youre fuckin with me arent you

https://ilsr.org/rule/formula-business-restrictions/

basically its another way for people to pretend they're saving the world by having slightly different stores to shop at than those people the next town over

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
its a bs zoning restriction on chain stores where city councils try to go "we don't want you here" without outright making it into law

edit: I guess SF has these rules? Found this from Google search
https://sf-planning.org/chain-stores-formula-retail-use

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

nutrition research is full of stuff like this too. some dinky n=14 study showing a small effect can launch an entire class of supplements and by the time it gets shown to be bunk the idea has already been ingrained into public consciousness.

papayas have papain, they make you strong like popeye

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Nutrition research and science is just a huge loving disaster. The amount of capture in the field is staggering.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sf's law is essentially written to keep wal-mart out of city limits, which they have done successfully.

it was a big deal when the city got its first target

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Nutrition research and science is just a huge loving disaster. The amount of capture in the field is staggering.

whenever i ask hoverwife about something nutrition-based she invariably laughs at me and tells me no, science does not know that $thing has any specific benefit

my understanding is that a big part of it is controlling for what you're studying, which is so difficult as to be worthless for examining something like diet

but in addition to rigor you've also got all kindsa self-reporting bias that also makes your data not useful

and then on top of it all, like someone said earlier, you get these sensational things like "superfoods" and "antioxidants" and "probiotics" that despite being shot down by further study are still clung to by the public because people really want a silver bullet

i still want a poop transplant from a renowned athlete tho. give me the athletic gut flora i want it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

personal favorite is the drinking moderate amounts of wine makes u healthier study and a generation of teetotalers drinking a glass a day that they don’t enjoy

control for income and the effect goes away

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

https://ilsr.org/rule/formula-business-restrictions/

basically its another way for people to pretend they're saving the world by having slightly different stores to shop at than those people the next town over

alright thx for that clarification

youre still a big ol dummy tho lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

alright thx for that clarification

youre still a big ol dummy tho lol

:owned:

felt like breakin that one out of the vault as a comment on your post

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

personal favorite is the drinking moderate amounts of wine makes u healthier study and a generation of teetotalers drinking a glass a day that they don’t enjoy

control for income and the effect goes away
Also, sick people drink less. Who would have thought.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Share Bear posted:

:owned:

felt like breakin that one out of the vault as a comment on your post

:grin::hf::hai:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

sf's law is essentially written to keep wal-mart out of city limits, which they have done successfully.

yeah vermont has a similar law, they only just recently opened the state's first target

i think they were just desperate to fill floor space in the dying mall though lol

anyways that article mentions attempting to use formula store rules to stop more dollar barons from opening in small towns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this woman or someone like her was on npr railing against amazon and it was the most aggravating poo poo. its this white as gently caress insularism where they don't want other people coming into their neighborhoods and they cloak it in a defense of small businesses. its the same people who don't want the feds running their schools or telling them to vaccinate their children.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dragon enthusiast posted:

yeah vermont has a similar law, they only just recently opened the state's first target

i think they were just desperate to fill floor space in the dying mall though lol

anyways that article mentions attempting to use formula store rules to stop more dollar barons from opening in small towns

vermont has about 8 people in it is the more salient part there

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whenever i ask hoverwife about something nutrition-based she invariably laughs at me and tells me no, science does not know that $thing has any specific benefit

my understanding is that a big part of it is controlling for what you're studying, which is so difficult as to be worthless for examining something like diet

but in addition to rigor you've also got all kindsa self-reporting bias that also makes your data not useful

and then on top of it all, like someone said earlier, you get these sensational things like "superfoods" and "antioxidants" and "probiotics" that despite being shot down by further study are still clung to by the public because people really want a silver bullet

i still want a poop transplant from a renowned athlete tho. give me the athletic gut flora i want it

lmao exactly. the psuedoscience thread has at least one actual researcher in nutrition research, but he specializes in ethics and it's basically him having a non-stop meltdown about how bad everything is.

i'm enrolled in some study to do poop transplant for mood disorder and im not sure they're gonna actually call me for it but lmao if you can prove that taking poop from an extremely happy person and putting it in someone else makes them happy you should win a nobel

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

same here in berkeley. we got a target like 5 or so years ago and it was a Big Deal

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Also, sick people drink less. Who would have thought.

i drank it by the goon and was sick as hell there for a while what am i doing wrong? :thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

i'm enrolled in some study to do poop transplant for mood disorder and im not sure they're gonna actually call me for it but lmao if you can prove that taking poop from an extremely happy person and putting it in someone else makes them happy you should win a nobel

i would never force anyone to take my poop into themselves via a syringe, unless they really needed it.

i swear

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

a naked lob

text me

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all the angsty handwringing over the death of "mom and pop" stores belies the fact that mom and pop stores wrung small communities for every dime

my grandpa who worked in the grocery industry for years always said that the biggest house in town invariably belonged to the local grocer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stymie posted:

all the angsty handwringing over the death of "mom and pop" stores belies the fact that mom and pop stores wrung small communities for every dime

my grandpa who worked in the grocery industry for years always said that the biggest house in town invariably belonged to the local grocer
Well yeah. If people really preferred mom and pop stores they wouldn't have gone out of business in the first place.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there was a UN study correlating the arab spring with food prices getting too high, so i wonder when is the time to get out my popcorn for when this happens in the us of a

this dollar store seems like a horrible place for food - i mean in tokyo most shops sell you potatoes in packs of 3 which is ridiculous but at least there are still places where you can get a week's worth of food affordably without feeling that you go through the same motions as a full blown restaurant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

Well yeah. If people really preferred mom and pop stores they wouldn't have gone out of business in the first place.

theres a degree to that tho

ill gladly pay +10-20% for one time things if i know it goes to my "community" or my own materialism or whatever.

i definitely cant afford paying anything more than literal garbage prices for my living expenses though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Penisface posted:

there was a UN study correlating the arab spring with food prices getting too high, so i wonder when is the time to get out my popcorn for when this happens in the us of a

this dollar store seems like a horrible place for food - i mean in tokyo most shops sell you potatoes in packs of 3 which is ridiculous but at least there are still places where you can get a week's worth of food affordably without feeling that you go through the same motions as a full blown restaurant

food prices in the us are about the lowest they've ever been versus people's income. also the places where it is very high tend to not be places with a lot of people.

reminder: america is very fat because we're the country that's had cheap food for by far the longest.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

by the way i strongly recommend reading anand giridharadas' winners take all if you're looking for a good book in the vein of bad blood

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

absolutely, especially once the old time yeoman farmer family (built off the back of stolen lands natch) completely broke down over the late 19th century and early 20th century and quickly evaporated all reason for those towns to still exist

gotta start ratcheting up the screws on everyone else, while there's still money to soak

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mystes posted:

nope, as one of the tweets alludes to, you can have a mom and pop store that people really do prefer that is operating at a price optimum for revenues (i.e. any change in price will decrease revenue either due to fewer sales, or not increasing sales by enough to make up for a cost discount) that still goes out of business

assume that the mom and pop is working at very small margins

dollar store comes in and could scoop up say, just 10% of sales, but that’s enough to put the mom and pop, which 90% of people continue to go to, in the red

ah, but wait! they could raise prices to make ends meet!

if they’re at a price optimum though, any increase in price ALSO decreases overall revenue because the decrease in sales more than offsets the higher prices. what was profitable with 100% of the market (or 45% or whatever) becomes inherently unprofitable at 90% (or 40% or what have you)

meanwhile, the dollar store trucks along with 10% of the customer base because they can be subsidized for a while by corporate (or perhaps they can turn a profit because they sell something the mom and pop doesn’t, or maybe they can source inferior product for cheaper because the nationwide chain can get a better deal at volume)

do that long enough and the mom and pop goes out of business and the 90% that preferred the mom and pop has no option but the inferior dollar store

the only thing capitalism rewards is efficiency. popularity and quality are not rewarded except, at best, indirectly

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2018

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fishmech posted:

food prices in the us are about the lowest they've ever been versus people's income. also the places where it is very high tend to not be places with a lot of people.

reminder: america is very fat because we're the country that's had cheap food for by far the longest.

nah i think what's cheap is lovely food which is kept exactly as affordable for the poorest people as the capital min-maxing allows before they start dying too soon or get starved enough to revolt

because reading this thread it seems that actually getting quality fresh ingredients is getting more and more difficult and expensive both in terms of the time you need to spend to get to the shop and the price you need to pay for it

but of course on the average it works out to be cheap overall yeah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

nope, as one of the tweets alludes to, you can have a mom and pop store that people really do prefer that is operating at a price optimum for revenues (i.e. any change in price will decrease revenue either due to fewer sales, or not increasing sales by enough to make up for a cost discount) that still goes out of business

assume that the mom and pop is working at very small margins

dollar store comes in and could scoop up say, just 10% of sales, but that’s enough to put the mom and pop, which 90% of people continue to go to, in the red

ah, but wait! they could raise prices to make ends meet!

if they’re at a price optimum though, any increase in price ALSO decreases overall revenue because the decrease in sales more than offsets the higher prices. what was profitable with 100% of the market (or 45% or whatever) becomes inherently unprofitable at 90% (or 40% or what have you)

meanwhile, the dollar store trucks along with 10% of the customer base because they can be subsidized for a while by corporate (or perhaps they can turn a profit because they sell something the mom and pop doesn’t, or maybe they can source inferior product for cheaper because the nationwide chain can get a better deal at volume)

do that long enough and the mom and pop goes out of business and the 90% that preferred the mom and pop has no option but the inferior dollar store

the only thing capitalism rewards is efficiency. popularity and quality are not rewarded except, at best, indirectly
the thing is mom and pop don't offer better quality. often its the exact same products, so in the end you're getting the same thing for less.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Penisface posted:

nah i think what's cheap is lovely food which is kept exactly as affordable for the poorest people as the capital min-maxing allows before they start dying too soon or get starved enough to revolt

because reading this thread it seems that actually getting quality fresh ingredients is getting more and more difficult and expensive both in terms of the time you need to spend to get to the shop and the price you need to pay for it

lovely food is often overhyped but regardless a lot of the people doing the food riots were getting "lovely" food in the first place. but when you actually end up with no food is when poo poo gets serious.

remember that a ton of people prefer "lovely food" to "quality fresh ingredients" or whatever. or they'd like to use fresh ingedients and cook everything but they don't exactly have a bunch of free time they can afford to use making use of those things even if the store was right next door and they could get them instantly, etc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol forever at siding with a small business owner

anyone that does so has so clearly never worked for one lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Penisface posted:

nah even quality produce is cheap as hell thanks to the incredibly efficiency of factory farming and GM crops (plus subsidies, ofc). in fact id bet prices are artificially higher on average due to organic/non-gmo labels

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ah bloo bloo bloo it's so terrible that the shop that employed the underage owner's extended family for $0/hr and tried to pay the immigrants unloading the trucks at agricultural worker wages is closing this is a tragedy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the places the article talks about getting a bunch of dollar stores now are places where it's very likely that the existing "small business" is basically people selling the same stuff as the dollar store will sell, from mostly the same suppliers, it's just that a local guy gets to skim more off the top for himself and his family than the store manager will at the franchise.

tons of them, especially the city ones, will be stores that are literally dollar stores without chain branding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol forever at siding with a small business owner

anyone that does so has so clearly never worked for one lmao

i am a small business owner and my business caters almost exclusively to small businesses. let me tell you about small businesses...

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shaggar posted:

nah even quality produce is cheap as hell thanks to the incredibly efficiency of factory farming and GM crops (plus subsidies, ofc). in fact id bet prices are artificially higher on average due to organic/non-gmo labels

so why all the talk about food deserts or good quality ingredients being too expensive and only sold in "upscale" shops? why is access to all this quality produce getting more difficult?

i mean i can really believe that americans of all walks of life are actually dumb and lazy enough to just eat lovely food while only exerting their bodies when walking to their car and back, and what's really happening is that the middleman is min-maxing the prices

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Penisface posted:

so why all the talk about food deserts or good quality ingredients being too expensive and only sold in "upscale" shops? why is access to all this quality produce getting more difficult?

i mean i can really believe that americans of all walks of life are actually dumb and lazy enough to just eat lovely food while only exerting their bodies when walking to their car and back, and what's really happening is that the middleman is min-maxing the prices

when "clean eating" rules out frozen or canned vegetables it kinda reveals itself to be the class signifier it actually is

which is tori's cue to bitch about how mcdonalds giving you diarrhea is actually the class war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Penisface posted:

why is access to all this quality produce getting more difficult?

for the vast majority of americans, it isn't. the "old mom & pop" didn't make any great effort. the other supermarkets in super-poor areas didn't bother much either. and most americans don't live in either.

and before this time those areas also didn't really have great "quality produce" until you go far back enough that most of those very poor areas were empty lands or farms or rich people neighborhoods