Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

boredsatellite posted:

And how everyone is creeped out about Melone

Yup very creeped out
Pesci is both disgusted and disappointed in his colleague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dude also looks like he's on the verge of tears but thats his normal look

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Establishing Melone as a sex pest in advance is an improvement at least.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kind of cool we get to see all the hitmen in detail before their fights. I don't think it was like that in the manga, was it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Kind of cool we get to see all the hitmen in detail before their fights. I don't think it was like that in the manga, was it?

No, it wasn't. I don't think Araki had even come up with designs for most of them at that point.

I like the change. It creates more narrative connection, making it less of a villain-of-the-week story like Part 3.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's loving weird to me to see them all hang out relatively normally, with the same kind of shittalking you'd hear from Bruno's group.

but yeah it's a net positive addition imo, only downside is it kinda messes up the pacing

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh poo poo, the shadow chopping up Sorbet is Cioccolata, not Diavolo. Is that a new addition? I don't remember it at all.

It's new. The slicing isn't directly shown in the manga, and the narration brings up the possibility that they might have seen The Boss's face when they got captured. Having Cioccolata cut them up in the anime makes it seem a lot more like they failed at everything and then died.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The flashback happens in the manga just a few beats after where today's episode left off. The assassination scene was new, as was them bumming around in a group, and the bit of showing Cioccolata and Secco. Everything else was basically in the chapter, except that everyone but Formaggio, Gelato and Sorbet were shadowed out (and with no distinguishing features).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Augus posted:

Establishing Melone as a sex pest in advance is an improvement at least.

whoever in here earlier who was talking about posting a trigger warning for the Anime thread for the Baby Face eps spoilers-be-damned is gonna have an easy time doing it without too many spoilers because they could just quote this gif

and then simply go "Next ep's gonna be about fighting this guy and it's pretty legit uncomfortable at times so trigger warning"

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i can't believe they got bakugo for ghiaccio. this cast is incredible

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That might have been my favourite episode in a way because a) I love this fight for being so back and forth to the extent that Formaggio feels like a protagonist trying to outwit an enemy stand, and b) foreshadowing the team and giving them moments makes them seem more equal and reinforces "a".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

David is adding just enough character development to this part (this flashback is great and building it as gang vs. gang, which didn't really exist in the manga) that I'm entirely sure no one will really be complaining about Diavolo by the end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Holy poo poo that flashback was so good. Watched the episode with two friends, one who has read the manga and another who hasn't and me and the other manga reader where just OH SHITing at showing Prosciutto and Ghaccio.

Was honestly enjoying exposition more than the actual fight

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darko posted:

David is adding just enough character development to this part (this flashback is great and building it as gang vs. gang, which didn't really exist in the manga) that I'm entirely sure no one will really be complaining about Diavolo by the end.

We're at the point where I'm genuinely looking forward to Doppio using random objects as phones more than anything else that happens in part 5. They just seem to adapt everything so well it's insane.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the nice thing about the stuff added for the anime is that it actually comes off like it fits instead of there being a weird shift in dialogue or events or whatever. ghiaccio is an aggro shithead, melone is a creep, pesci and prosciutto got their whole thing going on. etc. etc.

it's a thing where people only watching the anime would have literally no reason to suspect it was added in after the fact because it fits everything else, which is good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It makes more sense that Diavolo had his hatchet man deal with Sorbet and Gellato than him doing it himself. Because he almost certainly wouldn't have bothered with the weird return to sender thing and would've just left their bodies somewhere no one would ever find them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow I forgot about how Sorbet was killed. I guess Vento Aureo really is the most gruesome part huh?

Also the added scenes were really well done.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Before this episode I completely forgot that Risotto Nero has completely black eyes

This anime adaptation is making me like the characters a lot more than when I initially read it

Before the anime all I could tell you about Fugo is that I would have maybe remembered he was the guy with Deep Purple, now he's my favorite character in the anime

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Xad posted:

Before the anime all I could tell you about Fugo is that I would have maybe remembered he was the guy with Deep Purple

fugo has purple haze

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Funky Valentine posted:

It makes more sense that Diavolo had his hatchet man deal with Sorbet and Gellato than him doing it himself. Because he almost certainly wouldn't have bothered with the weird return to sender thing and would've just left their bodies somewhere no one would ever find them.

Also because it's a direct reference to the Godfather novel where Don Corleone's enforcer, Luca Brasi, kidnaps two Capone men, stuffs towels in their mouths to gag them, then takes an axe and starts cutting one to pieces, starting at the feet and moving upwards until the guy dies. The other of the two dies from choking on the towel.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Exercu posted:

Also because it's a direct reference to the Godfather novel where Don Corleone's enforcer, Luca Brasi, kidnaps two Capone men, stuffs towels in their mouths to gag them, then takes an axe and starts cutting one to pieces, starting at the feet and moving upwards until the guy dies. The other of the two dies from choking on the towel.

Huh. Well then. I'd say I'm surprised but I'm not really surprised that Araki would read a book and incorporate elements of it into his work.

I still feel bad for La Squadra. Like, yeah, their ultimate goal was "we're hitmen, we deserve more money, we should take out the boss and take the money from his drug routes" but idk I can't help but feel bad for them because they also wanted revenge for what happened to Sorbet and Gelato and it feels like maybe in another time and another place they could have been Bruno's allies, or at least knowingly sharing a common enemy like with Stroheim.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I love how much poo poo Araki takes from pop culture, it really contributes to JoJo's unique feel. Aping JoJo without Araki's connection to pop culture (as well as his incredible skills and unique idiosyncrasies) is how you create something like Diesel

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RatHat posted:

Wow I forgot about how Sorbet was killed. I guess Vento Aureo really is the most gruesome part huh?

Also the added scenes were really well done.

I dunno, Stone Ocean and especially JoJolion get pretty gross and violent too.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

like jesus gently caress, the Survivor/Planet Waves fight

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guard Westwood's toenail

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the House Fancy of Jojo...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The fact that DavidPro made Cioccolatta the one to dismember the dude is loving perfect.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

somepartsareme posted:

fugo has purple haze

Ah gently caress

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Can we change the thread names to MANGA MANGA MANGA Jojo MANGA MANGA MANGA and ANIME ANIME ANIME Jojo ANIME ANIME ANIME? I feel like this will help keep you manga reader motherfuckers from posting spoilers in the anime thread.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It won't.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The fact that DavidPro made Cioccolatta the one to dismember the dude is loving perfect.

I know right?

Goddamned brilliant.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I like the change. It creates more narrative connection, making it less of a villain-of-the-week story like Part 3.

Oh, definitely. There are a lot of good fights in this part but in the manga they felt weirdly isolated to the point that I could never remember which of them were part of Squadra. Setting up the group as an actual coherent team in opposition to the protagonists is such a neat way to add to the story, even more so than dropping in Kira early.

In the manga it was "well, I'm dying, so I'll tell the next dude that has only just been designed where to go". This way is neat foreshadowing for almost every fight in the part.

That said, I kind of hope we don't ever get Carne appearing in flashbacks, if only to preserve the joke of him dying before he does anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Carne absolutely needs to come completely from nowhere just to preserve the joke of "Aw gently caress, just shoot him"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What would be better, Carne dying at the end of an episode or dying right before the OP?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

What would be better, Carne dying at the end of an episode or dying right before the OP?

They've been doing little recaps before the OP so...how about both?

before the OP is probably the funnier of the two though, especially if he shows up like almost immediately at the beginning of the episode and doesn't even make it 3 minutes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There should be at least one episode between Carne's death and Notorious B.I.G. appearing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I post entirely too much and too deeply about jojo, I should try to dial it down a bunch because I feel like if I keep going then I'm gonna start annoying people as that shithead that writes way too much about jojo

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
dunno about that. I loved your post about comparing some of araki's artwork to fashion magazines and art.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

I post entirely too much and too deeply about jojo, I should try to dial it down a bunch because I feel like if I keep going then I'm gonna start annoying people as that shithead that writes way too much about jojo

Nah, your posts are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If anyone's going to complain about you posting about JoJo in the JoJo thread, I'd say they're in the wrong place, not you.