Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Banana Man posted:

Honestly a good way to test the job priority system is to do a 5x habitable worlds, 5x pre-ftl planets, and play barbaric despoilers and raid; you build an incredible economy from the bottom up. The crazy thing is the new race ended up being a clerk, and i colonized planets using the raided race, and they then enslaved their own races on those planets. Messed up, but effective!
"Better you than me, C'arl."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So machine empires are even rougher starting out than before, everything costing energy plus the lack of trade value really gimps your starting economy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I have to say I'm not too fond of having one sector that has like 4-5 planets and then four that are 1-3 planets.

Imagine the clusterfuck with 3x habitability on huge. I think I'm going to start a new game with less planets until Wiz comes to his senses and lets us rearrange them like we used to be able to.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

hey wiz, the "mod_megastructure_build_cost_mult" modifier doesn't appear to do anything anymore. was there a replacement?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So with Megacorps and Criminal Syndicates I'm thinkin I'mma take the Saints to Stellaris

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ok so some stupid criminal corporation has established offices on some of my planets, and now they're raising crime to huge degrees! I'm rivaling them and have closed borders, I don't want them in my territory! How the heck do I stop this poo poo?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

How are u posted:

Ok so some stupid criminal corporation has established offices on some of my planets, and now they're raising crime to huge degrees! I'm rivaling them and have closed borders, I don't want them in my territory! How the heck do I stop this poo poo?
build police districts (whatever they're called). you'll eventually turf them out if you have enough of them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

How are u posted:

Crank out shitloads of buildings that allow for Enforcer jobs and get folks to work in that, also look at decisions because there are a couple there that might be able to help. You should be able to get crime under control and I think there's an event to boot them out that can fire once you've done so?

BenRGamer posted:

So with Megacorps and Criminal Syndicates I'm thinkin I'mma take the Saints to Stellaris

You'll have to mod in a unit called The Boss who can single-handedly kill the entire endgame crises though (All of them at once).

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I tried to start a game yesterday but got back from work so late I couldn't really focus on learning the new systems. Dived back in today and I'm super loving all the changes. There's so much cool poo poo and I'm looking forward to getting in deeper and finding out more about it.

Have there been any major bugs or pitfalls I should watch out for? A friend already emphasized not to overbuild.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

really queer Christmas posted:

I tried to start a game yesterday but got back from work so late I couldn't really focus on learning the new systems. Dived back in today and I'm super loving all the changes. There's so much cool poo poo and I'm looking forward to getting in deeper and finding out more about it.

Have there been any major bugs or pitfalls I should watch out for? A friend already emphasized not to overbuild.

1) Pops are Queen, Rapid Breeders is possibly the most powerful trait in the game atm.

2) The admin cap is an extremely soft cap, it's the replacement for planet/system limits and scales much more slowly. You are supposed to go over it, by a long way.

3) You'll probably run deficits in various resources at times; when you do, remember there's a market, and it is very much there to be used to make up the shortfalls.

Machine empires are reported by quite a few people to be really hard to play because their economy is really screwed up right now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zane posted:

build police districts (whatever they're called). you'll eventually turf them out if you have enough of them.

That's what happened to me, only it happened loving instantly. I set up a branch on a planet, upgraded it, and less than a month later it was gone. Really awesome way to start the game, definitely made me want to play more.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Bloodly posted:

Note that Exotic Gas as upkeep, though....Dangerous.

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh dang I hadn't even spotted that. Yeah that's reasonable then, you'll want a very limited number of ships armed with those bad bitches or you'll crash your gas income faster than a MegaCorp's economy when someone short-sells the GDP of fifteen planets

That's not upkeep, that's cost to build. Ships never require rare resources for upkeep.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ms Adequate posted:

2) The admin cap is an extremely soft cap, it's the replacement for planet/system limits and scales much more slowly. You are supposed to go over it, by a long way.

A thousand times this. I was quadruple mine for a while I think, and things were fine.

Also, the AI does not know how to play the new system at all. 100 years in on Admiral and everyone is rated Inferior or worse overall.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

TalonDemonKing posted:

Teach me your ways. I can't ever get mega-engineering without taking the perk

I would take the perk. Bottlenecks for all the prereqs are the most difficult thing to get through: zero point power, but especially star fortresses (very difficult to get before 2250 but happens if you plan it out right). Just rush 5 planets, stop there and build tall. Would always rush droids while making my way through the tech tiers, make sure I knew what to avoid. Would go Tech Ascend > Voidborne > Master Builders > Galactic Wonders. Would ususally get Wonders around the same time I finished researching Mega-Engineering.

BUT NOW I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE AND I MUST GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My various runs at a megacorporation have made me think that the game would benefit from more nuanced premade empire spawn options. Megacorporations seem like they really heavily depend on neighboring empires for their core gimmick to work, but as is it's really a crapshoot whether or not you'll end up spawning next to a bunch of hiveminds. It would be nice to be able to group empires into larger pools and specify how many from each pool can spawn. That way you'd be able to give yourself slightly better odds of having more receptive empires spawn near you.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

kojei posted:

Anyone else run into the "fun" issue where enemy fleets can shoot at your fleet, but your fleet just refuses to enter combat mode so they just fly around getting their poo poo kicked in without shooting back? All the while the advisor is constantly yelling about how a fleet has engaged in combat (it hasn't).

save and reload. this has been around for eons.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shadowlyger posted:

That's not upkeep, that's cost to build. Ships never require rare resources for upkeep.

As someone who just got that same part and deployed it; Yes they DO take the gas as upkeep.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Are you drunk or did you do this on purpose?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm having a good experience thus far. Just take it a bit slower.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like paradox needs an auto-play video of Wiz intensely staring into camera and explaining that the admin cap is a soft cap and it's perfectly normal to go above it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I had completely forgotten admin cap was a thing in my game until you guys mentioned it. Then I checked and I was like 140/40. :v:

Easy to miss it unless you're obsessively checking tooltips, but then again with the new patch checking tooltips is a good idea.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The market is the answer to 99% of the problems I've encountered in 2.2 so far. One small wish for it: set automatic trade to kick in/turn off at thresholds? Say I only want to start selling minerals when I have 500 banked, and stop at below. Or I want to buy Alloys when below 200, etc.

One thing about colonization: how do I counteract the fact that a single colony really cripples my capital world's growth? Do I just resettle pops from the colony back to the capital?

Although I wonder if the new emigration/immigration mechanic has the same net result as pre 2.2 when a whole pop would move, only you notice it more now that it reduces/increases growth.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If I remember right, the ministry of culture building from the artist enclave used to be one use only right? Looks like now it's just a limit of one per planet (like gene clinics). Dunno if that's intentional or a bug.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

turn off the TV posted:

My various runs at a megacorporation have made me think that the game would benefit from more nuanced premade empire spawn options. Megacorporations seem like they really heavily depend on neighboring empires for their core gimmick to work, but as is it's really a crapshoot whether or not you'll end up spawning next to a bunch of hiveminds. It would be nice to be able to group empires into larger pools and specify how many from each pool can spawn. That way you'd be able to give yourself slightly better odds of having more receptive empires spawn near you.

yea megacorps make no sense just kicking off from the word go

a game with a eu4/etc mindset where you're just various players in a galaxy would own bones tho. be some criminals, be the plucky rebels, the empire, just make it star wars actually,

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

turn off the TV posted:

I spawned next to a fallen empire, a machine empire, and then when I finally found a biological empire they crushed my (criminal) branch as soon as I put it down. I don't mind the starting point, but it makes no sense that the game would let you spend 1000 credits for something that lasts less than a month with no warning.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea megacorps make no sense just kicking off from the word go

a game with a eu4/etc mindset where you're just various players in a galaxy would own bones tho. be some criminals, be the plucky rebels, the empire, just make it star wars actually,

Custom scenarios for Stellaris would actually be pretty high up my wish list. And an included editor to make your own would be even higher up.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Would absolutely LOVE a custom scenario editor/easy ability to make a custom start. Even just having some species starting next to each other, or with relationships already built in with other civs would be super cool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have a planet that has the capacity for Volatile Mote traps. But how do I build them exactly? Is there a prerequisite tech or...?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I took the Xenocompatibility perk as a Fanatic Xenophile with tons of treaties and hoo boy the game has long since run out of new colors for the half-breeds on my pop graph. It's kinda silly how many new subspecies there are in the galaxy now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't assign a trade patrol in a pathway that makes sense. It's routed through a system with a loving Ether Drake in it, and I can't route it otherwise, even though I own all the territory needed to go around it. Having a manual pathing button, or, I dunno, just the stupid default pathing having any AI, even the most rudimentary "DON'T GO THROUGH SYSTEMS WITH ETHER DRAKES" would be really nice.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. How the hell is this not a thing? How is it a singular, default path? Who is this stupid?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 8, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can't assign a trade patrol in a pathway that makes sense. It's routed through a system with a loving Ether Drake in it, and I can't route it otherwise, even though I own all the territory needed to go around it. Having a manual pathing button, or, I dunno, just the stupid default pathing having any AI, even the most rudimentary "DON'T GO THROUGH SYSTEMS WITH ETHER DRAKES" would be really nice.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. How the hell is this not a thing? How is it a singular, default path? Who is this stupid?

There is a button that is literally "NEVER ENTER THIS SYSTEM" to the left of the system name when you're viewing it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have a planet that has the capacity for Volatile Mote traps. But how do I build them exactly? Is there a prerequisite tech or...?

Yeah, there's three acquisition techs per rare resource, one for space mining and one for planet mining, and also a tech for each one which allows a building to manufacture them, usually from minerals, with no terrain requirements.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, there's three acquisition techs per rare resource, one for space mining and one for planet mining, and also a tech for each one which allows a building to manufacture them, usually from minerals, with no terrain requirements.

I think the space mining/planet mining buildings come from the same tech.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I've never had it happen. I've killed one and had it another one activate shortly after. Maybe if you just kill them before the horde turn limit it's safe? Idk

2% or so chance every time you blow up a horde habitat, as long as it isn't their last one.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My second game's gone a whole lot better. I focused more on influence, and was able to spread across a pretty wide expanse. I got through the precursor chain (Vultaum) super early, and found some ridiculous systems, like the one with 19 minerals (and a decent amount of energy and research, too). I managed to get my economy into a great position where everything was in the black, although a sudden necessary expansion in the north threw things out of balance. Currently I'm trying to get my consumer goods up without compromising food and energy.

I also got to the end of the Horizon Signal chain. I now have about a dozen colonisable worlds in my home system, including three above size 20, and my species has tomb-world preference...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Magil Zeal posted:

There is a button that is literally "NEVER ENTER THIS SYSTEM" to the left of the system name when you're viewing it.

I'm honestly shocked this works on trade routes, too. God, that's obtuse.

EDIT
Also, thank you. Jesus, that doubled my empire's income.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone got a good criminal megacorp build? There must be something I'm missing with how easy crime is wrecked.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So, you can't establish corporate branches on the planets of your subsidiary because you don't have a commercial pact with them, and you can't make a commercial pact with them because they aren't independent. :argh:

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Yeah I don’t know about this criminal syndicate thing. The AI just blows up your branch. Everything else seems fine I guess. The tiles were an annoying thing every 4x has but now we have a new annoying thing we’ve never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I couldn't take the Khan who popped right next to me. If he'd just spawned somewhere else I might've had the few years I needed to get my economy and fleets in shape, but oh well. So, I opened the L-Gate and the Gray Tempest is in there. I hope the bastards kill each other.