Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

a large demon haunts the bathroom.

flush next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he said australia, so odds are it has eight legs, is at least the size of a wall clock and will attempt to bite your dick off if you're on the can

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SO DEMANDING posted:

flush next time

He said Australia so if you flush I think it goes backwards and tries to shoot the poop-water up your butt?

:ohdear:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

flush next time

observe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOFK0dHpXA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how can you use windows in real life

- the shortcuts are hosed up: you cant copy/paste to/from terminal because the wrong idiot decided to use the ctrl-key for copy/past even though it was already in use! good loving god! was that just spite? bill gates just saw "hmm yes, all the multicses and unixes and pdp/1s and such, they use ctrl-c for cancel/stop control. thats alright, ill use that for dos. now windows, idgaf so im going to copy the copy/paste commands from elsewhere but still use ctrl so it all clashes! that loving rules! YEAH I LOVE NOT COPYING ANYTHING EVER

mystes
May 31, 2006

The only really bad part is the inconsistent shortcuts between office programs. Ctrl+f being forwarding in Outlook is the worst. Iirc this was because that was how it was in whatever Bill Gates had been using and he made them change it to that even though they wanted it to be find to be consistent with other programs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya that too

everything is inconsistent i just freaked outa bout one thing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my life is in imminent danger and all you can talk about is a dead, g@¥ operating system!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

how can you use windows in real life

- the shortcuts are hosed up: you cant copy/paste to/from terminal because the wrong idiot decided to use the ctrl-key for copy/past even though it was already in use! good loving god! was that just spite? bill gates just saw "hmm yes, all the multicses and unixes and pdp/1s and such, they use ctrl-c for cancel/stop control. thats alright, ill use that for dos. now windows, idgaf so im going to copy the copy/paste commands from elsewhere but still use ctrl so it all clashes! that loving rules! YEAH I LOVE NOT COPYING ANYTHING EVER

no that works now, ctrl+c/v work in cmd.exe and powershell since windows 10

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

no that works now, ctrl+c/v work in cmd.exe and powershell since windows 10

not in the version my job uses, which is definitely 8+ because of the stupid start menu

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

he said australia, so odds are it has eight legs, is at least the size of a wall clock

two clocks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

my life is in imminent danger and all you can talk about is a dead, g@¥ operating system!!

take it to kangaroo court

mystes
May 31, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

not in the version my job uses, which is definitely 8+ because of the stupid start menu
It was added in an update a year or two ago I think so if you're on some ancient ltsb build you might not have it.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

syscall girl posted:

take it to kangaroo court

they’ll lock me up for social justice violation because i used a thinly veiled homophobic pejorative

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

It was added in an update a year or two ago I think so if you're on some ancient ltsb build you might not have it.

alright thx ill keep an eye out :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh oh i did get a reboot-update when i tried to log in november ish?

wait, theyre always reboots arent they

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
check the command line properties, if it's not there you're boned :(

(if it's disabled, you need to uncheck legacy console)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PleasureKevin posted:

they’ll lock me up for social justice violation because i used a thinly veiled homophobic pejorative

[f]

orange sky
May 7, 2007

This is Microsoft:

This saga started in 2016

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

orange sky posted:

This is Microsoft:

This saga started in 2016

TL;DR

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

poo poo, teams only got the ability to let you leave a group chat late this year, baby steps

orange sky
May 7, 2007

When they posted "this feature depends on us working with a different team" you could hear the death screams of thousands of children

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most of the backend problems in teams wrt things like groups are problems w/ office 365 in general. teams in teams are tied to office 365 groups which come with a bunch of other cruft like sharepoint tied to them so if you want to make changes to a teams group those changes also have to be supported by sharepoint and whatever else is tied to the group. muti-tenancy in office 365 also sucks because its based entirely on guest users which is a huge hack. they could have solved this client side by allowing multiple teams accounts to be logged in at once, but the teams client is a huge pile of poo poo because javascript and has a billion other problems they need to solve before something like multiple accounts comes off the backlog.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Maybe instead of needlessly intertwining every goddamn poo poo they could have used their much beloved graph API to integrate Teams with the rest

Oh wait, their API sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the graph api is what they're using.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i loved when they briefly would silently switch any distribution group you made in exchange to an office 365 group, because gently caress you

like, they don't even do the same things. if i click the button, wiz past office 365 group and hit "distribution group" it's because i do in fact intend to create a loving distribution group you assholes

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the graph api is what they're using.

Well that's even worse then

How is it that you can't create a channel archiving system if you're using an API. Like, how is that possible, you don't need to use the SharePoint system 100%, you can create a repository on the side. Keep everything there, just don't make the channel count toward the 200 channel limit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

against all advice and common sense microsoft is going to make more xbox hardware, even though both nintendo and sony will wreck their poo poo for the 4th consecutive console generation but the stock is going up, time to wasteinvest some money

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

orange sky posted:

Well that's even worse then

How is it that you can't create a channel archiving system if you're using an API. Like, how is that possible, you don't need to use the SharePoint system 100%, you can create a repository on the side. Keep everything there, just don't make the channel count toward the 200 channel limit

it has nothing to do with APIs and everything to do with how the data is stored and related to other applications and services. like you cant just archive a group because it has an impact on other non-teams functions for that group, so they have to figure out how to archive everything that's attached to the group. but then what if they only want to archive the teams portions of the group and leave the sharepoint/onedrive stuff active? so now you have to provide the ability to selectively archive features of a group.

wrt archiving a single channel inside a group idk why that's so hard other than they must be storing it really stupidly. all you really need is a flag that shows or hides it in the client.

wrt chats outside of groups that's a whole other thing and its not accessiblevia the API (probably because they don't want people making clients that work). idk how those or stored or how they would be archived since they're ad-hoc. I think in that case you just let the users remove themselves from the chat.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
is it possible Microsoft is happy to maintain a gaming division at a loss in order to seem culturally relevant to
consumers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

is it possible Microsoft is happy to maintain a gaming division at a loss in order to seem culturally relevant to
consumers?
if they wanted to do that they could just make the same games but sell them on other people's hardware

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually the new plan is to build the xbox 2 as a shell around a ps4

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Microsoft does what Sega won’t

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

actually the new plan is to build the xbox 2 as a shell around a ps4

that would be amazing tho

"we built an xbox oh and also it plays ps4-5 games"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

consumers?

well, that or they are making money. microsoft reports it as part of a larger umbrella ("more personal computing") and it is a very long time since we had the raw numbers, outside of revenue (and that number is pretty good, was up 45% yoy in the last report)

hard to tell really, part of what muddies the water is dubious analysts comments getting a lot of play online because console warriors will find personal validation if they perceive a global tech giant to be making/losing money in alignment with their entertainment choices

mystes
May 31, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

consumers?
I can theoretically imagine them wanting to keep the xbox so they can use it to force xbox developers to also support the windows store or something like that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the xbox program as a whole has been profitable at occasional points in the past, in each of those quarters they specifically called it out but we're at a point where apple is afraid of revealing unit sales so who knows

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

the xbox program as a whole has been profitable at occasional points in the past, in each of those quarters they specifically called it out but we're at a point where apple is afraid of revealing unit sales so who knows

they keep using the word 'profitable' now as well though, both satya and whoever the cfo is (with special reference to xbox live subscription attachment iirc)

i agree that it seems unlikely that they are getting much of a roi or they'd be a bit clearer on the matter, so there is probably down to a strategic play to a great extent still. either way i do think satya would have cut it day 1 if it was the bottomless pit of burning money the internet sometimes wants to imply

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hmm my company told us all to get ready for an announcement tomorrow and gave us instructions on what to do when contacted by media, there's a non 0% chance we're getting bought by Microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

Hmm my company told us all to get ready for an announcement tomorrow and gave us instructions on what to do when contacted by media, there's a non 0% chance we're getting bought by Microsoft

goondolences. is your cv up-to-date?