Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Convex posted:

I hope BloodEX is less stuttery than GDX.

Also not using Java will be nice :)

Yep. I was pretty close to installing Blood a week ago and making it my December Video Game, but held off b/c of these things. I'm good waiting a year for a proper port to come out, get the bugs picked out, and go on sale.

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, as useful as it could be sometimes, waiting for the flare gun to actually light people up gets boring.

I haven't thought much about it until this moment, but both the flare gun and Deus Ex's tranq darts function the same way, are my go-to weapons, and I secretly hate them for this. Although, I did enjoy peeking around corners in Blood, getting that first shot off, backing off, going around another way, shooting another activated guy with the sawed-off, just in time for the flare'd dude who was chasing me to ignite.

More flare gun chat: the last time I enjoyed Team Fortress 2 before putting it down forever was the brief time you could earn a new (and boring) flamethrower as the Pyro. To get it, you'd have to light up people eighty times with the flare gun. Each time you succeeded, you'd see a meter go up, and hear a little "ding!" Not too long after this the game became completely inscrutable to me, but I think it became a bizarre series of similar Skinner loops that fed in on themselves until hats popped out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

according to the dusk devs, episode 3 will launch at 11 pst, or roughly 4 hours from this post

which is...right around when i need to go to sleep to wake up for work in the morning. gently caress.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
It launches at 9 pst

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it was a typo i forgot to fix. still! pretty late for a release.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah it's kind of a weird release time, since games typically release at 9 PM PST because that's midnight EST, which is often the "release" time because that's the start of the calendar day. But in this case, that would mean the game was being released on a Saturday, which is sort of odd.

Basically, that Dusk chump needs to learn the proper etiquette and release his game at 9 PM PST on a Monday because all good games are released on Tuesdays. :smug:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Lucky for you it does release on Monday, but at 11 AM PST. The release tonight is just an ~Early Access Exclusive~ but it's the full episode and you get a free graphic novel
It would've been nice to release a few hours earlier though. give some of us time to play it before midnight. Depending on how good it is I'm gonna have to grab some coffee

https://countingdownto.com/?c=2335832

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 8, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh yeah, I forgot about the fact that the Friday/Saturday release is for people who bought the game in advance.

Alright, well I guess I won't have to mail El Oshcuro any death threats or what have you.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

:pcgaming:

BloodGDX guy "Well, gently caress me I guess"

Do they have the source code and the rights to make more blood levels/games/mods?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also the dusk devs have noted that the game will go on sale for 16.66 when it officially releases in 1.0 on the 10th, so keep that in mind. i didn't mind paying a couple extra dollars since they captured the old fps feel so well and it's refreshing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never played blood. What’s it like? Build engine games field weird to me and I can barely get into Duke 3D.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played blood. What’s it like? Build engine games field weird to me and I can barely get into Duke 3D.

You're basically like a cowboy ghost blowing up an evil cult with dynamite.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played blood. What’s it like?

It's the most polished build engine game of the time probably.

chaosapiant posted:

Build engine games field weird to me and I can barely get into Duke 3D.

And you'll probably get destroyed by the 2nd level of it since it's harder than duke 3d.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Flannelette posted:

:pcgaming:

BloodGDX guy "Well, gently caress me I guess"

Do they have the source code and the rights to make more blood levels/games/mods?

Doesn't look like they got the source code

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1071146867650641920

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

You're allowed to sell a reverse engineered code?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The entire PC industry exists because of reverse engineered IBM PC BIOS code.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God bless the man who spent entire years of his life analyzing the code for a 1990s DOS game

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flannelette posted:

The people who own the rights to the product gave it their explicit endorsement after licensing was negotiated.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Flannelette posted:

Of course, otherwise Strife: Veteran Edition would be impossible to release. Disassembling and reverse engineering is perfectly legal if you're authorized to do it. You are not allowed to do it on property you do not own and have no rights to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fallom posted:

God bless the man who spent entire years of his life analyzing the code for a 1990s DOS game

Shine on you crazy diamond

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Of course, otherwise Strife: Veteran Edition would be impossible to release. Disassembling and reverse engineering is perfectly legal if you're authorized to do it. You are not allowed to do it on property you do not own and have no rights to.

Does atari or WB have the source code?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Flannelette posted:

I'm unable to answer that one, sorry.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
:siren: Dusk Episode 3 is out! Restart Steam! :siren:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

You're basically like a cowboy ghost blowing up an evil cult with dynamite.
Also, you're the bad guy.

Except so are the evil cult. You were once one of the four disciples of the evil god that the evil cult worshiped, but then the evil god turned on all of you and killed you all. Except now you're not dead, so you can go try to exact revenge on your former evil god master.

So yeah, you're the bad guy, they're bad guys, everyone's bad guys. Except the helpless almost-naked men running around in panicked fear; those guys are innocent. (Probably.) But you're the bad guy, so you can kill them if you want and suffer no consequences for your action.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah in Blood you are deifinitely a lesser of a whole lotta evils in that game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

That was one of the things I remember my teenage self appreciating about Blood II: The Chosen, was the fact that you were decidedly not a good person, and the game made this crystal clear. From the acerbic narrations between level transitions, like these:

quote:

You just can't sit and enjoy your new issue of Guns N' Gibs while suffering the subway in peace these days. First that ticket guy dared to confiscate yer flask of Ol' Red '99, and then that spineless conductor had to stop the train for an hour just because some snot-nosed brat in a baby carriage rolled onto the tracks! You were about to go up there and give him a piece of his own mind, but then you recognized his voice...and realized that your day was about to get...interesting.

quote:

The last time you blacked out, it was after throwing back nineteen consecutive shots of JoJo's Black Label #47, and even then, you think that your physical proximity to the ice-cream stand you blew up had more to do with it. Ah, well. That idiot vendor shouldn't have pissed you off by putting sprinkles on your Killer Kiddy Kone.

...to the way the game treated innocent bystanders as irritating fodder, or the weirdly effervescent typewriter "DING!" sound effect played over the the gunfire and the blood and guts, or even the satirically cynical "the Cabal is now a Megacorp staffed by cultists in sharp suits"...the game had this weird combination of mean violence and eccentricity to it.

In retrospect it has this completely unsubtle "edginess" to it, but when you're 14 it's the coolest goddamned thing ever.

EDIT: Honestly, I'd love to play another game as a Caleb-type character. Something about the "undead cultist cowboy" is still really appealing to me.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 8, 2018

Bobinator
Jun 30, 2008

My rocket is the best... NOT!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Honestly, I'd love to play another game as a Caleb-type character. Something about the "undead cultist cowboy" is still really appealing to me.

It's not really early, but Darkwatch on PS2/XBOX might be your thing. It feels very Halo-esque, only you're a vampire cowboy with magical powers.

To get on topic, how is BloodGDX these days? Because the announcement's cool and all, but not quite as exciting, since Blood's hardly as difficult to get as, say, Powerslave.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

2 days

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bobinator posted:

Powerslave.

In his spare time the guy reverse engineering blood for nightdive is also reverse engineering Powerslave (3d version and maybe build version) for nightdive.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Pope Guilty posted:

:siren: Dusk Episode 3 is out! Restart Steam! :siren:

:allears:
I might've enjoyed that more than episode 2. Took me almost 2 hours to play through, but I missed a bunch of secrets. The levels were great, really expanded on the craziness from episode 2. Music was amazing, it's actually impressive how well the dynamic music works in this episode. Gonna have to replay it and go secret hunting now

Maybe this is a spoiler cause I can't find any mention of it, which is weird considering what this game's inspired by, but there's a surprise voice actor in this episode.
If you wanna keep it a secret, just wait until the credits, if not:
Stephan Weyte aka Caleb from Blood

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 8, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is Dusk actually complete with the release of ep3?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is Dusk actually complete with the release of ep3?

The game is finished and at version 1.0 now, but there's still plans for some fun mod stuff post-launch. They'll be releasing an SDK, workshop support, co-op, and if this thread is still accurate, possible support for quake and half life maps and many other things

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

The game is finished and at version 1.0 now, but there's still plans for some fun mod stuff post-launch. They'll be releasing an SDK, workshop support, co-op, and if this thread is still accurate, possible support for quake and half life maps and many other things

Thanks, I just wanted to know if I could play through the whole thing in one go this weekend without having to wait for months for another episode. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flannelette posted:

Jace Hall does. Several years ago he wanted to use it to make a sort of "ZDaemon for Blood" but couldn't get Atari's permission for that so the whole thing fell off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HolyKrap posted:

and if this thread is still accurate
From one of the developers in that thread:

quote:

Just want to mention that almost everything listed in the OP is subject to change, and a number of things there are outdated.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've wanted to play Blood ever since I saw a screenshot as a kid of Caleb's makeshift flamethrower

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I've wanted to play Blood ever since I saw a screenshot as a kid of Caleb's makeshift flamethrower

I like how the alternate fire is exactly why you shouldn't do that in real life :supaburn:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have such great memories of Blood but the difficulty is really rough. Even on medium-ish settings, the hitscan cultists just tear you apart. I guess I try to play it too much like Doom. And really the only way to play is to hide, toss dynamite, and hide. I don't want to do that, though.

I've played the first couple of levels countless times, and then burned out after the third or fourth stage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The levels get less cool as you go. A dam? gently caress off, who cares.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
It's me again, here to invite you guys to play another Half-Life multiplayer mod with little to no population. Tonight's going to be Earth's Special Forces (beta 1.2.3), so if you've ever wondered what it'd be like to play as Goku in Goldsrc, then here's your chance to do so with people instead of difficult bots (even on the absolute lowest setting. I know I'm bad, but those bots are ridiculously good). I highly recommend giving the manual a read through for this one as there's a lot of gameplay mechanics that don't exist in any other Goldsrc mods or games like the melee fighting and power level/transformation stuff.

So if you want in, just join server.kuoushi.com:27015 at around 10pm PST and we'll get started blasting each other up with ridiculous charge attacks and many of the more popular characters from the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

zindryr posted:

It's me again, here to invite you guys to play another Half-Life multiplayer mod with little to no population. Tonight's going to be Earth's Special Forces (beta 1.2.3), so if you've ever wondered what it'd be like to play as Goku in Goldsrc, then here's your chance to do so with people instead of difficult bots (even on the absolute lowest setting. I know I'm bad, but those bots are ridiculously good). I highly recommend giving the manual a read through for this one as there's a lot of gameplay mechanics that don't exist in any other Goldsrc mods or games like the melee fighting and power level/transformation stuff.

So if you want in, just join server.kuoushi.com:27015 at around 10pm PST and we'll get started blasting each other up with ridiculous charge attacks and many of the more popular characters from the series.

I hope I can play as Yajirobe and just bite asses all day.